Uh-Oh! Ben Carson Caught in Background Lie?????

Political discussions
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Uh-Oh! Ben Carson Caught in Background Lie?????

Post by Cap'n Cat »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-el ... ys-n458731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tough day for the Conks! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Details about Ben Carson's offer to attend the U.S. Military Academy at West Point on a "full scholarship" came into question Friday after a report that he fabricated a story about being admitted to the service academy.

Carson's campaign confirmed to NBC News that the surging Republican presidential candidate never applied to the elite academy, despite writing in his 1996 book "Gifted Hands" that he was "offered a full scholarship to West Point" after attending a dinner where he was introduced to West Point personnel by his ROTC supervisors.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Responding to the report from Politico, Ben Carson told the New York Times: "I don't remember all the specific details. :suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious:

Because I had done so extraordinarily well you know I was told that someone like me - they could get a scholarship to West Point. But I made it clear I was going to pursue a career in medicine."

"It was, you know, an informal 'with a record like yours we could easily get you a scholarship to West Point,'" he added.

The retired neurosurgeon did not specifically say in his book that he applied to West Point, in fact he wrote that the only school he applied to was the one he ultimately attended -- Yale.

But the confusion about a key biographical detail comes as other well-known tales of Carson's youth are being questioned, including his story about almost stabbing a friend in his early teens.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

West Point does not offer "full scholarships." All costs are covered for applicants who are offered admission.

Conks, Conks, Conks, Conks............ Shame!

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

"West Point, Yale, Western Illinois - what the fvck's the difference?"
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Uh-Oh! Ben Carson Caught in Background Lie?????

Post by SeattleGriz »

Racist. Isn't that how it works?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

West Point offers scholarships???
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Carson is nuttier than a jar of crunchy Jif...

:ohno:

He makes Jill Stein look normal and I'm well aware she's a dingbat
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

When I was in basic, I took an aptitude test and when I was receiving my results, I was asked if I wanted to attend West Point. When a guy who acts and treats you much differently than your drill sergeant pulls you into a room and asks if you want to go, you assume it is a possibility. Besides, my typical entrance exams met requirements as well.

I assume if Carson got into med school, his results would have gotten him admitted to West Point.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Story is over. Storm lasted a few hours, but the MSM is backing off the story he lied.

As the Supreme Court observed in a case called Masson, even a quote, accurate in its wording, can be false and defamatory when taken out of context.

In his autobiography, Carson never said he applied to WP. He said he applied to Yale, and it was the only college to which he applied.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Chizzang wrote:Carson is nuttier than a jar of crunchy Jif...

:ohno:

He makes Jill Stein look normal and I'm well aware she's a dingbat
http://www.theonion.com/article/ben-car ... ghts-51616" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JoltinJoe wrote: He said he applied to Yale, and it was the only college to which he applied.
That alone is cause for concern. :|

:fuel: :fuel:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Hhmmm…so a presidential candidate that held no public office lies and suddenly it’s a big deal….the former SOS who is also running for president is proved to lie to all of America and it’s not a big deal…interesting. :coffee:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Abandon Thread!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cappy's down for the count!!!

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

JoltinJoe wrote:Story is over. Storm lasted a few hours, but the MSM is backing off the story he lied.

As the Supreme Court observed in a case called Masson, even a quote, accurate in its wording, can be false and defamatory when taken out of context.

In his autobiography, Carson never said he applied to WP. He said he applied to Yale, and it was the only college to which he applied.
Did he say he was offered a full scholarship? If so, that's a lie. That implies he applied.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Baldy wrote:Abandon Thread!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cappy's down for the count!!!

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cap'n hasn't gotten to 2012 in his readings yet :lol:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Ibanez wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:Story is over. Storm lasted a few hours, but the MSM is backing off the story he lied.

Did he say he was offered a full scholarship? If so, that's a lie. That implies he applied.
Ummm, no it doesn't.

Academic elites are not much different than elite athletes. Football players are "offered full scholarships" without ever applying to a certain school. The same thing holds true for elite students as well. A friend of ours daughter met with several Ivy League school officials and every one offered her full academic scholarships before she applied to any of them.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Ivytalk wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote: He said he applied to Yale, and it was the only college to which he applied.
That alone is cause for concern. :|

:fuel: :fuel:
And there are other causes for concern. He's a Yale grad who thinks the world is 6,000 years old and the pyramids were built to be granaries.

But the debate is about whether he actually applied to West Point?

I think Carson's problem actually is he is too honest. Like when he was asked a few days ago if he still believed Joseph built the pyramids, he should have lied and said, "No way, man. I was on my feet that day talking, and I had just finished 22 hours straight in the OR, and I don't know what the hell I was saying." :)
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Baldy wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
Ummm, no it doesn't.

Academic elites are not much different than elite athletes. Football players are "offered full scholarships" without ever applying to a certain school. The same thing holds true for elite students as well. A friend of ours daughter met with several Ivy League school officials and every one offered her full academic scholarships before she applied to any of them.
Carson's account of what happened is consistent with the experiences of many others.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

It nice to see the conks have evolved to the point where they haven't once accused Carson of getting his schooling because of quotas. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

JoltinJoe wrote: I think Carson's problem actually is he is too honest. Like when he was asked a few days ago if he still believed Joseph built the pyramids, he should have lied and said, "No way, man. I was on my feet that day talking, and I had just finished 22 hours straight in the OR, and I don't know what the hell I was saying." :)
:lol: Funny, yet unfortunately true.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

Maybe he should just get his records sealed to avoid all this...
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

LeadBolt wrote:Maybe he should just get his records sealed to avoid all this...
There's no way he could away with that. :roll:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

LeadBolt wrote:Maybe he should just get his records sealed to avoid all this...
Maybe he should stop being such a nut ball ...

:rofl:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Baldy wrote: Ummm, no it doesn't.

Carson's account of what happened is consistent with the experiences of many others.
Yes, many others who need to jazz up a biography, pick up a girl or impress someone.

He intentionally exaggerated the account to fluff up a story. If he didn't, then he's ignorant as to how the military schools operate. Either way, he's a cad.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Check this out:

http://nation.foxnews.com/dreams-my-fat ... -obama-bio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... not-treat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally this:

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-gr ... raphy-and-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reason I brought those up is Carson's assertion that the mainstream media didn't seem to be as concerned about Obama not exactly being accurate about his life story as they are about him doing it.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:Check this out:

http://nation.foxnews.com/dreams-my-fat ... -obama-bio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... not-treat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally this:

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-gr ... raphy-and-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reason I brought those up is Carson's assertion that the mainstream media didn't seem to be as concerned about Obama not exactly being accurate about his life story as they are about him doing it.

Yet another incorrect assertion by the good doctor. :coffee:

We're into our 10th year of "The Great Birth Certificate Hoax". :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

houndawg wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Check this out:

And this:

Finally this:

I don't think there is a law regarding lies about scholarships in a book.
But I think there is a law about being born in the US for Presidents.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CAA Flagship wrote:
houndawg wrote:

I don't think there is a law regarding lies about scholarships in a book.
But I think there is a law about being born in the US for Presidents.
I rest my case. :coffee: