Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:48 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:45 am

Probably, and if so, sadly true...(although I don’t get your reference to natural selection.)

So much for open everything back up. Jesus fucking Christ, don’t be Manaus...or have a Trump-like leader.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... nt-manaus/
Natural selection means that almost always, under natural conditions, a virus that becomes more infectious, almost always becomes less lethal.

You rarely hear the media mention anything past mutated strain.

In your example, look at that city. It's filthy. It's right on the water with trash everywhere. That's not the norm for American cities. Manaus looks like a petri dish with tons of different mutation pressures causing the virus to mutate in a bad way - that's not natural.

Looks very much like how different flu strains come out of the filthy areas of China yearly. You've picked an outlier for your example.
The article and others I’ve read, literally feature the discussion of why beyond the just a “mutated strain.”

It hopefully is an outlier but then again, similar could be said for the US. EG: Covid is really bad here...despite the advanced culture and infrastructure compared to Manaus.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Baldy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:07 pm
dbackjon wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Yes, Trump will be out of office, so he can't kill anymore don't you think 300,000 (likely 400,000 by the time he is booted from the White House) is enough death?
Cuomo signed an executive order forcing nursing homes to take COVID patients even after we all knew that the elderly were the most vulnerable to the disease. His stupidity ended up killing over 10,000 people. Sorry Princess, you can't blame that on Trump. :kisswink:
And turns put Gov Kill Old People killed a lot more than that, as NY nursing home deaths due to Chicom-19 were 50% higher than reported.
https://nypost.com/2021/01/28/ny-nursin ... -ag-probe/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:49 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 am

Look at the case and death counts in California or Chicago over the last 3 months and explain to me how they've dropped enough to scientifically justify lifting restrictions? Are they dropping? Yes. Are they better than they were when restrictions were reinstated?

Questioning the motivation for lifting the restrictions in Donk states and cities is justified. Why do you hate science and math?
Which restrictions have they lifted?

The Chicago Mayor’s idea was that if restaurants are open social distancing might be policed better than house parties. :lol:

Cali lifted stay at home orders based on ICU trends.

Again, show me some facts supporting the conspiracy theory. And some science. I’m fine with agreeing on facts and being wrong.

Are you?
This is the data the state won't release. Probably because the numbers won't align with policy they are enacting.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:02 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:28 pm Apparently 1 mask is no longer good enough. Now you have ass clowns saying people (the gen public) should be wearing 2 masks.. :suspicious:
Check that, make that 3 masks..
https://summit.news/2021/01/27/experts- ... ree-masks/
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:05 pm
Baldy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:07 pm
Cuomo signed an executive order forcing nursing homes to take COVID patients even after we all knew that the elderly were the most vulnerable to the disease. His stupidity ended up killing over 10,000 people. Sorry Princess, you can't blame that on Trump. :kisswink:
And turns put Gov Kill Old People killed a lot more than that, as NY nursing home deaths due to Chicom-19 were 50% higher than reported.
https://nypost.com/2021/01/28/ny-nursin ... -ag-probe/
NYT is catching on to this finally...well after the initial reporting in July. Whoops.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Things are looking up in India despite less restrictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... dhlElQtMYM
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:02 am Things are looking up in India despite less restrictions.

Dramatic drop in Covid cases gives India hope of return to normal life
FYP :-P
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Who cares where those old people died?
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

It’s The Hunger Games out there...

https://apple.news/AfWKPqTi-TBWwP8HjlPZQXw
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Apparently, televisions help spread COVID...at least in Los Angeles...

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Col Hogan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:07 pm Apparently, televisions help spread COVID...at least in Los Angeles...

:suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious: :shock: :shock: :shock: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: There's stupid politicians, then there's California stupid...Right up there with the island is going to tip over level of stupidity. You have to wonder about the people who elect these idiots..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine was shown to be 66% effective at preventing mild and moderate infections, and 85% effective at preventing severe disease, in trial results the company announced on Friday.

It doesn't appear to be as effective as Moderna or Pfizer's mRNA vaccines, though there are big differences in how the shots were tested.

It also has the benefits of being cheap and relatively easy to manufacture and distribute. It only requires one shot in the arm.

An experimental coronavirus vaccine from Johnson & Johnson is 66% effective at preventing moderate to severe COVID-19, according to new trial data the company released on Friday.

At first glance, the vaccine doesn't appear to be as stellar as authorized vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna, but it does have a few perks.

First and foremost: J&J's vaccine is just one shot in the arm, while both Pfizer and Moderna's are administered as 2 doses, given several weeks apart. Second, it can be refrigerated for months, making transportation and storage far less of a challenge. Third, it is cheaper and easier to produce...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... r-BB1ddyvS
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Big reason I haven't done the genome mapping through sites like 21 and Me.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-us-b ... 186896#app
The largest biotech firm in the world wasted no time in offering to build and run COVID testing labs in Washington, contacting its governor right after the first major COVID outbreak in the U.S. occurred there. The Chinese company, the BGI Group, made the same offer to at least five other states, including New York and California, 60 Minutes has learned.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Just another example of the bullshit in this world...

As you may or may not have seen, Tampa is allowing 22,000 people to attend the Super bowl live, including 7,500 "front line health care workers" who will be given free tickets. They sell this as a special provision for all of the people in the trenches fighting for the people suffering from Covid. We know a fair number of nurses and doctors in the area, and it turns out, the people who are actually working in the trenches are not getting the Super bowl tickets. It is the managers, heads of staff, top level administrators, and hospital executives who are getting the free tickets. This world can kind of suck sometimes. Kind of pisses me off.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:21 pm Just another example of the bullshit in this world...

As you may or may not have seen, Tampa is allowing 22,000 people to attend the Super bowl live, including 7,500 "front line health care workers" who will be given free tickets. They sell this as a special provision for all of the people in the trenches fighting for the people suffering from Covid. We know a fair number of nurses and doctors in the area, and it turns out, the people who are actually working in the trenches are not getting the Super bowl tickets. It is the managers, heads of staff, top level administrators, and hospital executives who are getting the free tickets. This world can kind of suck sometimes. Kind of pisses me off.

Paging Houndy.....this is RIGHT in your wheelhouse, bro!
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:21 pm Just another example of the bullshit in this world...

Paging Houndy.....this is RIGHT in your wheelhouse, bro!
I'm guessing you have no issue with this? Sure, during the game they will parade out a few select front line people to give the right impression, but in reality they are compensating the people who are ordering the front line people to put in their hours. It's a bit disingenuous, don't you think?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Democrats outraged as anti-Cuomo troll uses Maxine Waters quote that had targeted Trump aides
New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson:
"The terrifying events of the last month have shown us more clearly than ever that words have consequences.This sort of targeting and incitement is simply wrong, and totally unacceptable."
Lis Smith, a former senior adviser for Pete Buttigieg during his presidential run:
"Way way way over the line. Especially in light of what happened at the Capitol on Jan 6."
New York State Senator Jamaal Bailey:
"This is more than tonedeaf, especially considering what’s happened in recent days. This is unacceptable and ridiculous. Read the room."
But as lawmakers and public officials condemned the tweet, they also drew more attention to the post, allowing the troll to successfully perpetuate the discord.

The message was retweeted more than 500 times, with an additional 300 quote tweets with split reviews, some noting the hypocrisy in the message originally written by a Democratic congresswoman while others condemned the calls to violence.

None of the politicians who condemned the tweet noted the reference to Water's 2018 comments.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democr ... -recognize
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:44 pm :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Democrats outraged as anti-Cuomo troll uses Maxine Waters quote that had targeted Trump aides
"The terrifying events of the last month have shown us more clearly than ever that words have consequences.This sort of targeting and incitement is simply wrong, and totally unacceptable."
Lis Smith, a former senior adviser for Pete Buttigieg during his presidential run:
"Way way way over the line. Especially in light of what happened at the Capitol on Jan 6."
"This is more than tonedeaf, especially considering what’s happened in recent days. This is unacceptable and ridiculous. Read the room."
But as lawmakers and public officials condemned the tweet, they also drew more attention to the post, allowing the troll to successfully perpetuate the discord.

The message was retweeted more than 500 times, with an additional 300 quote tweets with split reviews, some noting the hypocrisy in the message originally written by a Democratic congresswoman while others condemned the calls to violence.

None of the politicians who condemned the tweet noted the reference to Water's 2018 comments.
Kalmrade, would you like to explain how this isn't a double standard?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:39 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Paging Houndbrah.....this is RIGHT in your wheelhouse, brah!
I'm guessing you have no issue with this? Sure, during the game they will parade out a few select front line people to give the right impression, but in reality they are compensating the people who are ordering the front line people to put in their hours. It's a bit disingenuous, don't you think?

That sucks.

According to the Book of JSO, volume 693, everything bad that happens is the president's fault so I blame Biden. 8-)
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:27 pm
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:39 pm I'm guessing you have no issue with this? Sure, during the game they will parade out a few select front line people to give the right impression, but in reality they are compensating the people who are ordering the front line people to put in their hours. It's a bit disingenuous, don't you think?

That sucks.

According to the Book of JSO, volume 693, everything bad that happens is the president's fault so I blame Biden. 8-)
My guess is, the executives going to the Super Bowl, got their vaccines before the front line workers too.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:42 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:44 pm :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sure it’s a double standard.

You must have me confused with someone who is a Democrat and/or Maxine Waters fan.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

This video was on our reading list provided by the school district's superintendent.

Watch the video (6:21 long) and listen to the difference in how the WSJ reports on the virus mutations and how the actual Microbiology professor describes it.

Maybe I'm now biased, but throughout the WSJ narrative, it is filled with, "could be", "possibly" type statements, while the actual Micriologist describes it "as a small gain in fitness" and lays out a sensible plan.

Is this constant scaremongering by the media part of the COVID fatigue we are seeing, for you can only cry wolf so many times before people stop listening and believing it's all shit?

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:16 am
Maybe I'm now biased

Nah....

:lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Interesting and maybe :mrgreen: rather important.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021012 ... 42regI9cQ4
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:12 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:42 pm
Sure it’s a double standard.

You must have me confused with someone who is a Democrat and/or Maxine Waters fan.
My apologies. Your defense of liberal wackadoodles, criticism of conservative wackadoodles, and willingness to go down the "but they were worse" rabbit hole confused me. :D

Where is the line between liberals you'll defend and those you'll throw under the bus? I'm guessing age. You seem to be more supportive of young liberal firebrands who say stupid things than you are of fossils like Waters. :coffee: