Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:27 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:40 am

Yeadon = Conspiracy, he was like Trump, the virus will go away soon. He made that statement in the UK when they had 45,000 deaths, since then, they have had another 80,000. Pfizer won't even say what he did at the company. Says he was in research and was a VP, probably had scientist under him doing the research, while he managed money.

Reuters Link.....

Tobin = Critical care physician, pulmonologist, and academic who is a recognised expert in acute respiratory failure, mechanical ventilation, and neuromuscular control of breathing.

In 1991, Tobin and Karl L. Yang published a study that described two new indices, the rapid shallow breathing index (RSBI) – initially known as the Yang Tobin Index (Y/T) – and the compliance, respiratory rate, oxygenation, and maximal inspiratory pressure (CROP) index - Wiki
You might be right. You also might have an implicit bias against anyone who downplays the virus that impacts your your opinion and responses as well. :coffee:
Nearly half the people already downplay the virus, and nearly half the people over react. Truth is somewhere in the middle. I would put Teadon in the upper 10% of downplayers.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Second Moderna dose done! Haircut on April 27!

Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:04 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:03 pm

So how long would it take and how many more would die without vaccines?
Don't know, thankfully for the Trump vaccine we won't have to wait. Those at risk should get it. :nod:
Yeah, I mean it’s only killed a couple thousand so far.....no big deal.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:38 pm

You might be right. You also might have an implicit bias against anyone who downplays the virus that impacts your your opinion and responses as well. :coffee:
Nearly half the people already downplay the virus, and nearly half the people over react. Truth is somewhere in the middle. I would put Teadon in the upper 10% of downplayers.
I actually don't think we had a large proportion over-react. If you are thinking as a population you would not have had problems with people wearing masks, social distancing, etc. The fact that we had difficulty with getting people to do that creates all kinds of problems including increased opportunity for viral mutation.

I think the big problem was with people downplaying the situation. We'd be in much better position now if that hadn't happened. We have vaccines now. But now we have to worry about mutations overcoming vaccines because a bunch of idiots didn't want to wear masks, social distance, etc.

And crap like people saying the death counts are exaggerated. Just totally false and really hurts the population effort.

We did not have an "over react" problem. We had a serious "in denial and believing crap you read on the Facebook" problem.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:10 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm

Anti-Vaxers dream to have a person like Yeadon speaking for them. :lol:
LifeSiteNews has been permanently banned on YouTube. Click HERE to sign up to receive emails when we add to our video library.
:rofl:
The fact that you think being banned from Youtube means they are not legitimate means you haven't really been paying attention to Big Tech censorship for the last year or so.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:30 am
SDHornet wrote:
CA 7 day avg for tests five was 115k on 4/5 which matches pre-flu season 7 day average number of late Sep/ early Oct.
7 day avg for cases is 1468 on 4/5 which is comparable to a year ago when testing was just starting.
Deaths have bottomed out at a 7 day avg of 9 as of 4/5 and CA hasn't been that low since this all started last March.

Why the fuck are we still shutdown. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
We are still shut down because politicians are supremely risk averse.

It has nothing to do with taking away freedoms, making us dance like marionettes, implanting us, whatever. Politicians don’t do that “just because”

All politicians on both sides have a nation full of social media troglodytes just waiting for them to make a misstep. Right now, the political calculus is that locking down is less politically risky than another outbreak. Also, a lot of it is political inertia and whether you have a D or an R by your name.

In a few weeks the dam will burst on that and the swing will be towards reopening everywhere. And most of the media will stop cheerleading one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do politicians order folks with the China Virus into care homes "just because"....cause you know, some of them kinda just did that.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:05 am ‘Murica! And Trump even gets some credit... :mrgreen:
The European Union is partly to blame for this debacle. It approached vaccine procurement in its right-minded European way, using the purchasing power of a bloc that represents 446 million people to negotiate for lower prices, and protecting the people’s interests by holding pharmaceutical companies responsible in case of problems with new vaccines rushed to market. By contrast, early last year, Donald Trump and his British fraternal twin, Boris Johnson, moved swiftly to partner with drug companies in vaccine development, dismissed liability concerns, and secured first dibs on the end product.

Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised that when the priorities of pandemic management shifted away from good daily governance to a scramble for resources, America came out ahead. One way of interpreting what’s happening is that, although Trump is no longer president of the United States, it’s still “America First.” “We’re going to start off making sure Americans are taken care of first,” President Joe Biden said earlier this month. And he is: At this point, 26 out of every 100 Americans have received a vaccine dose. Compare that with 10 out of 100 in Spain, Italy, Germany, and France—or a mere 3.7 in India.*
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ne/618418/
Huge win for capitalism. :mrgreen:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:49 pm

The fact that you think being banned from Youtube means they are not legitimate means you haven't really been paying attention to Big Tech censorship for the last year or so.
You missed the RFK Jr reference, or is now ok for conks to buddy up to Jr, basically the face of the anti-vaxers.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:30 am
SDHornet wrote:
CA 7 day avg for tests five was 115k on 4/5 which matches pre-flu season 7 day average number of late Sep/ early Oct.
7 day avg for cases is 1468 on 4/5 which is comparable to a year ago when testing was just starting.
Deaths have bottomed out at a 7 day avg of 9 as of 4/5 and CA hasn't been that low since this all started last March.

Why the fuck are we still shutdown. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
We are still shut down because politicians are supremely risk averse.

It has nothing to do with taking away freedoms, making us dance like marionettes, implanting us, whatever. Politicians don’t do that “just because”

All politicians on both sides have a nation full of social media troglodytes just waiting for them to make a misstep. Right now, the political calculus is that locking down is less politically risky than another outbreak. Also, a lot of it is political inertia and whether you have a D or an R by your name.

In a few weeks the dam will burst on that and the swing will be towards reopening everywhere. And most of the media will stop cheerleading one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ding. Ding. Ding.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:23 pm

You missed the RFK Jr reference, or is now ok for conks to buddy up to Jr, basically the face of the anti-vaxers.
Got it! So you are saying that a man who worked for Pfizer, and believes that the substitution of one amino acid among 10,000 doesn't warrant a new vaccine, is an anti-vaxxer. :rofl:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:20 pm Second Moderna dose done! Haircut on April 27!

Congratulations, but I ain't kissing you.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:20 pm Second Moderna dose done! Haircut on April 27!

Congrats! You Larry David looking sumbitch! :mrgreen:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:25 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:23 pm

Got it! So you are saying that a man who worked for Pfizer, and believes that the substitution of one amino acid among 10,000 doesn't warrant a new vaccine, is an anti-vaxxer. :rofl:
You are saying I'm saying that. Besides the msm calling him a scientist, all I see is a corporate VP that is an anti- Vaxer. Show me his scientific credentials and change my mind.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:31 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:25 pm

You are saying I'm saying that. Besides the msm calling him a scientist, all I see is a corporate VP that is an anti- Vaxer. Show me his scientific credentials and change my mind.
Hey, I just inferred that from your statement about your doctor putting you in the funny farm if you proposed not taking a nother vaccine for the variants.

Besides that, the original question is about the science
and history related to variants, not his credentials. You're deflecting. He isn't espousing anything that isn't already known. Using your line of thinking, I could ignore anyone who wasnt a physicist when talking about gravity.

At this point, there has been no variant out there that requires anyone to take a second, different vaccine as our immune response makes more than one version of an antibody. The body makes multiple versions of antibodies that can bind to multiple different sites on the mRNA inspired spike protein. So a slight change in structure isn't going to evade the immune response.

This is a big reason why attenuated viruses are great vaccines. You get a weakened complete virus, and the body the gets to make an insane amount of different antibodies.

This virus's mutation rate is about 4 times slower than Influenza. While that statement in and of itself doesn't mean too much, when you take into account most mutations are either neutral or deleterious, you start to understand the odds are stacked against COVID finding that elusive "perfect roll of the dice" to come up with a variant that will escape the immunological response the vaccine or naturally acquired immunity has conferred.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Different topic of which I’m aware. It just happens to be at the top. If I’m going to use a source which validates my arguments I’m going to find one that doesn’t have that disclaimer rather than the first one I find that suits my confirmation bias.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:52 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:31 am

Hey, I just inferred that from your statement about your doctor putting you in the funny farm if you proposed not taking a nother vaccine for the variants.

Besides that, the original question is about the science
and history related to variants, not his credentials. You're deflecting. He isn't espousing anything that isn't already known. Using your line of thinking, I could ignore anyone who wasnt a physicist when talking about gravity.

At this point, there has been no variant out there that requires anyone to take a second, different vaccine as our immune response makes more than one version of an antibody. The body makes multiple versions of antibodies that can bind to multiple different sites on the mRNA inspired spike protein. So a slight change in structure isn't going to evade the immune response.

This is a big reason why attenuated viruses are great vaccines. You get a weakened complete virus, and the body the gets to make an insane amount of different antibodies.

This virus's mutation rate is about 4 times slower than Influenza. While that statement in and of itself doesn't mean too much, when you take into account most mutations are either neutral or deleterious, you start to understand the odds are stacked against COVID finding that elusive "perfect roll of the dice" to come up with a variant that will escape the immunological response the vaccine or naturally acquired immunity has conferred.
You misunderstood, my point is not about vaccination for a variant, it was Teadon and his anti-vaxer conspiracy, and mentioning that to my Dr. Nothing to do with a vax for a variant. Sorry to piss on you narrative.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:03 am

Different topic of which I’m aware. It just happens to be at the top. If I’m going to use a source which validates my arguments I’m going to find one that doesn’t have that disclaimer rather than the first one I find that suits my confirmation bias.
Love it! Using your own confirmation bias to disregard a point of view. :rofl:

This reminds me of the time I posted screenshots from CNN to bolster my point with a liberal and they replied, "that site looks sketchy". Really enjoyed pointing out that it didn't matter what thesite was, it was posting what it got from his favorite source, CNN.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:12 am
kalm wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:03 am

This reminds me of the time I posted screenshots from CNN to bolster my point with a liberal and they replied, "that site looks sketchy". Really enjoyed pointing out that it didn't matter what thesite was, it was posting what it got from his favorite source, CNN.
Post another source. Should be easy to find...
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Meanwhile...in Idaho...

“BOISE, IDAHO (AP) — Lawmakers amended a bill that would ban the state, public health departments and even school districts from requiring masks to add a penalty on Friday.

The amendment in the Idaho House means the legislation now says that if a political subdivision enacts a mask mandate, any public health order or emergency declaration that the entity is operating under will be terminated.“

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... k-mandates
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:25 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:12 am

Shouldn't need to. If you can't get past your own confirmation bias to discuss variants and vaccines, I can't help you.

But...just for fun.

https://news.yahoo.com/news/fauci-says- ... 00204.html
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:34 am
kalm wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:25 am

Shouldn't need to. If you can't get past your own confirmation bias to discuss variants and vaccines, I can't help you.

But...just for fun.

I just read the quote from the article in your original post again.

:lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:44 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:34 am

But...just for fun.

I just read the quote from the article in your original post again.

:lol:
So you don't think the vaccine companies would like a vaccine passport that forces people to get a new vaccine whenever a new variant appears?

I'm not sure I would call it a conspiracy, but in this day and age of extreme language, like insurrection, it is appropriate.

By the way, you see that fucker Fauci agrees with the nut? :lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Just saw this. You are incorrect on the amount of under and overplay.

When 9 out of 10 Libs overestimate how many people are hospitalized due to COVID AND 3 out of 4 Conks do the same, that's around 80% of the population not knowing facts and overestimating the severity.

My own Conk father is deathly afraid of variants and he has absolutely no comorbidities and exercises almost every day out in the sun in Phoenix in addition to being vaccinated.

While I won't say it's the scientists, it's for sure the media scaring the shit out of everyone, and as CID posted, our elected officials are too worried about how they will look, so they play it ultra safe.

By the way. I've been sitting in the middle this whole time watching the shit show. Why do you think I keep referring to experience and history of past pandemics?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:19 am

When 9 out of 10 Libs overestimate how many people are hospitalized due to COVID AND 3 out of 4 Conks do the same, that's around 80% of the population not knowing facts and overestimating the severity.

My own Conk father is deathly afraid of variants and he has absolutely no comorbidities and exercises almost every day out in the sun in Phoenix in addition to being vaccinated.

While I won't say it's the scientists, it's for sure the media scaring the shit out of everyone, and as CID posted, our elected officials are too worried about how they will look, so they play it ultra safe.

By the way. I've been sitting in the middle this whole time watching the shit show. Why do you think I keep referring to experience and history of past pandemics?
Even by your incorrect math, I'm still correct. 75% and 90% both are a huge percent of the people over-reacting and under-reacting, even though I think you are low. CID is correct, all the lockdowns and restrictions are election related. Who is estimating hospitalizations due to Covid, I just follow our county Covid page. 40,000 plus confirmed cases, 2152 hospitalizations, 413 deaths.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:14 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:19 am

Even by your incorrect math, I'm still correct. 75% and 90% both are a huge percent of the people over-reacting and under-reacting, even though I think you are low. CID is correct, all the lockdowns and restrictions are election related. Who is estimating hospitalizations due to Covid, I just follow our county Covid page. 40,000 plus confirmed cases, 2152 hospitalizations, 413 deaths.
Let me help you out here.

9/10 = 90% estimating hospitalization too high.
3/4 = 75% estimating hospitalization too high

90 + 75 = 165
165/2 = 82.5% estimating hospitalization too high.