Coronavirus COVID-19

Political discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by ∞∞∞ »

So let me get this straight? You come upon understanding that the virus will mutate and the the fittest will survive. That's called Evolution bro and it's been around forever.
Evolution isn't survival of the fittest. It's mutations which survive their environments and get passed on, and new species eventually emerge. Natural selection is ONE mechanism of evolution.

Survival of the fittest is a loose term for adaptation, which is ONE mechanism of natural selection.

It's also an idea used to justify a lot of atrocities and not giving a sh*t about others.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

The efficacy of vaccines against catching the Delta strain is now in question. Hospitalization rates are a different story though. We should be able to knock this one back just in time for flu...er I mean Covid season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haaret ... 1.10068650
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:05 am
So let me get this straight? You come upon understanding that the virus will mutate and the the fittest will survive. That's called Evolution bro and it's been around forever.
Evolution isn't survival of the fittest. It's mutations which survive their environments and get passed on, and new species eventually emerge. Natural selection is ONE mechanism of evolution.

Survival of the fittest is a loose term for adaptation, which is ONE mechanism of natural selection.

It's also an idea used to justify a lot of atrocities and not giving a sh*t about others.
Reread what I posted. I did not say natural selection was evolution. I said mutations plus natural selection is the general basis for evolution. I like to discuss this topic in basic terms because it gets technical quickly and then you lose people in the conversation.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:14 am The efficacy of vaccines against catching the Delta strain is now in question. Hospitalization rates are a different story though. We should be able to knock this one back just in time for flu...er I mean Covid season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haaret ... 1.10068650
While I hope this is no big deal, this issue was brought up very early in this whole process. Why do you think I keep dropping the term "non sterilizing vaccine" and asking where mutational pressure is coming from?

There are some dark studies out there that I don't link because they haven't been peer reviewed and I'm not into trying to scare people before they are reviewed and accepted.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:28 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:12 pm

It's not common knowledge in the field of epidemiology. It's an old hypothesis from the late 1800s.

In any case, to me, common sense should tell people that something that has a death rate like COVID-19 does can become somewhat more deadly and more contagious at the same time. According to CDC estimates at about 1 in 157 COVID-19 infections have resulted in death. If it becomes twice as deadly at 2 in 157 that's not going to mean it can't spread more if it goes from something like R-naught 2.7 to R-naught 6 as indicated by estimates referenced in the article at https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhas ... ed-danger/ .

Look at it this way: A virus is going to occupy a host for some weeks either way. The person may die in a few weeks or they may overcome the virus. Either way they are not spreading the virus after a few weeks. Yes, I can see that if you had a virus that killed everybody it infected within 24 hours of infection it might not spread well. But COVID-19 doesn't do that even when it kills people. People start spreading the virus before they start showing symptoms. When they do die it usually happens after they've been around for a while having opportunity to spread.

That's just me thinking but I just don't think this particular situation is one in which a person has any reason to think that the pathogen could not become both more contagious and somewhat more deadly at the same time.
So let me get this straight? You come upon understanding that the virus will mutate and the the fittest will survive. That's called Evolution bro and it's been around forever. The so called 1800's theory you espouse as your defense has been seen in thousands of laboratories as scientists work with both viruses and bacteria. The large percentage of mutations are usually non beneficial or neutral.

Reread what I posted and you will see that you took my post out of context. I was careful to not state in the absolute. No shit a virus can take a bad turn, but history shows us it should die down.

So now once again. Where do you think the evolutionary pressure for the virus to mutate is coming from?
A lab. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:52 am

So let me get this straight? You come upon understanding that the virus will mutate and the the fittest will survive. That's called Evolution bro and it's been around forever. The so called 1800's theory you espouse as your defense has been seen in thousands of laboratories as scientists work with both viruses and bacteria. The large percentage of mutations are usually non beneficial or neutral.

Reread what I posted and you will see that you took my post out of context. I was careful to not state in the absolute. No shit a virus can take a bad turn, but history shows us it should die down.

So now once again. Where do you think the evolutionary pressure for the virus to mutate is coming from?
:lol:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

:rofl: :rofl: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

The goal has been met. 70% adult pop in US vaccinated.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

:lol: Good one!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:44 pm The goal has been met. 70% adult pop in US vaccinated.
I thought the goal was 70% by July 4th, which was a noble one. Pretty sure the goal of any vaccination effort is whatever it takes to get to herd immunity and not an exact number.

At least that's my understanding from everything I've ever read and heard since the pandemic began. The percentage goals are milestones and something tangible we can put an effort towards, and when one is accomplished, the next is set.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:56 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:44 pm The goal has been met. 70% adult pop in US vaccinated.
I thought the goal was 70% by July 4th, which was a noble one. Pretty sure the goal of any vaccination effort is whatever it takes to get to herd immunity and not an exact number.

At least that's my understanding from everything I've ever read and heard since the pandemic began. The percentage goals are just milestones and something tangible we can put an effort towards. Now it'll be 75%, 80%, etc.
You are correct, 70% vaccinated was the goal by July 4th. One aspect they have not been measuring is how many are recovered from COVID and how many have natural immunity due to dealing with similar enough viruses in the past.

I would say we are either close or in herd immunity territory.
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

I got my 8th vaccination this week. The woman administering them does a great job. I'm feeling great!
Spoiler: show
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

She has the mumps.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

As of this post, your link shows 49.7% vaccinated. The only group over 70% is seniors. We ain't there yet.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

bobbythekidd wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:50 pm
As of this post, your link shows 49.7% vaccinated. The only group over 70% is seniors. We ain't there yet.
I see percentage of population over 18 is 70% vaccinated.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:56 pm
bobbythekidd wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:50 pm

I see percentage of population over 18 is 70% vaccinated.
That’s just at least one shot. Fully vaccinated is just over 50%. We started out hot but around 20 countries are ahead of us now on fully vaccinated rates.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

:coffee:

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:34 pm :coffee:

He's stealing my schtick.

Education (BS Microbiology) and experience in performing and selling laboratory testing, and I get StOnge telling me I'm wrong about Evolution.

Me. The guy who starts the Evolution vs Intelligent Design threads.

That's how nuts any honest discussion is treated.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Maryland is just over 65% vaccinated. With Baltimore City and P.G. Counties being the least vaccinated percentage wise. F'ing GD Trumpers!!!
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:06 pm I got my 8th vaccination this week. The woman administering them does a great job. I'm feeling great!
Spoiler: show
:rofl: I saw that last night and almost posted it. :clap: :clap:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

andy7171 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:00 am Maryland is just over 65% vaccinated. With Baltimore City and P.G. Counties being the least vaccinated percentage wise. F'ing GD Trumpers!!!
South Carolina is 40% fully vaxx, 50% receiving at least 1 shot.

Neighboring Counties
York, SC - 36.4%
Lancaster, SC - 33.7%
Chester, SC - 31.81%
Charlotte-Meck, NC - 47%
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17