Critical Race Theory

Political discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 57601
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by AZGrizFan »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:28 am

There was more violence and intimidation at the anTIfa/BLM riots in 2020 than there was on January 6, 2021.
What riots were Antifa&BLM were associated with???
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 29365
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:28 am

There was more violence and intimidation at the anTIfa/BLM riots in 2020 than there was on January 6, 2021.
What riots were Antifa&BLM were associated with???
They were not involved in the January 6th Riot.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 58996
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by Ibanez »

Image


I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51559
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 am Image


I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps we need a refresher?
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 38614
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 am I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT.
Told by liberals. Yes.
Image
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 57601
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 am Image


I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps we need a refresher?
yes, because this country is so much worse than it was in 1957.
Spoiler: show
And if we are, we're looking squarely at YOU, Obama, to blame. You had the chance to completely erase any remaining racial divides in this country and instead you poured gasoline on a smoldering fire that was almost out.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
User avatar
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
Posts: 27951
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:12 am
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME
Location: Eastern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 am Image


I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps we need a refresher?
Agreed. So the plan is to separate the children by skin color and teach them. Right?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 24797
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:Image


I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem is that the two sides cannot agree on what CRT is.

I learned about the civil rights movement in public school in the 1970s and 1980s in a North Carolina county which was one of the wealthiest in NC prior to the Civil War due to tobacco produced with slave labor. It is just basic history, and in most places it is now and has for some time been taught in schools.

However, CRT has some elements that go way beyond merely teaching the actual history and its ugliness. In some districts there is a push to not just teach the history but to also teach that skin color in this country is the determining factor of success or inclusion in this country, that racial victimhood is baked in and permanent based on race, and that radical steps must be taken to even the field.

Now, maybe ^^^^ that is not CRT. If not, then it has been looped in under the moniker rightly or wrongly but that is beside the point. It IS being taught in colleges and universities, and it IS trickling down into public education. To simply say that it isn’t CRT, and therefore is not being taught in schools is akin to a reductio ad absurdum argument.

I think we would see a lot less objection to teaching our racial history in schools if that is all that it is, but there is also some perpetual victim classism going on and I think that is what people are rejecting. That is what I reject. Young children do not need to be taught to view each other as victims or oppressors, but as equals in a free society that has its flaws and mechanisms for fixing those flaws.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 26352
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by Ivytalk »

Well said, CID. That’s exactly the point.
“Sure. I was wrong.” — 89Hen 7/27/20 “Turns out I was barely wrong.” — 89Hen 11/9/21
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 57601
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:48 am Now, maybe ^^^^ that is not CRT. If not, then it has been looped in under the moniker rightly or wrongly but that is beside the point. It IS being taught in colleges and universities, and it IS trickling down into public education. To simply say that it isn’t CRT, and therefore is not being taught in schools is akin to a reductio ad absurdum argument.
And therein lies the point. It's how people like klammy and analjelly get around the "it's being taught in schools" argument.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 58996
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:48 am
Ibanez wrote:Image


I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem is that the two sides cannot agree on what CRT is.

I learned about the civil rights movement in public school in the 1970s and 1980s in a North Carolina county which was one of the wealthiest in NC prior to the Civil War due to tobacco produced with slave labor. It is just basic history, and in most places it is now and has for some time been taught in schools.

However, CRT has some elements that go way beyond merely teaching the actual history and its ugliness. In some districts there is a push to not just teach the history but to also teach that skin color in this country is the determining factor of success or inclusion in this country, that racial victimhood is baked in and permanent based on race, and that radical steps must be taken to even the field.

Now, maybe ^^^^ that is not CRT. If not, then it has been looped in under the moniker rightly or wrongly but that is beside the point. It IS being taught in colleges and universities, and it IS trickling down into public education. To simply say that it isn’t CRT, and therefore is not being taught in schools is akin to a reductio ad absurdum argument.

I think we would see a lot less objection to teaching our racial history in schools if that is all that it is, but there is also some perpetual victim classism going on and I think that is what people are rejecting. That is what I reject. Young children do not need to be taught to view each other as victims or oppressors, but as equals in a free society that has its flaws and mechanisms for fixing those flaws.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% Thanks! I haven't followed this garbage that much so thank you for that.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
User avatar
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
Posts: 3529
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:44 pm
I am a fan of: William & Mary
Location: Daleville, VA

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by LeadBolt »

CID1990 wrote:
Ibanez wrote:Image


I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem is that the two sides cannot agree on what CRT is.

I learned about the civil rights movement in public school in the 1970s and 1980s in a North Carolina county which was one of the wealthiest in NC prior to the Civil War due to tobacco produced with slave labor. It is just basic history, and in most places it is now and has for some time been taught in schools.

However, CRT has some elements that go way beyond merely teaching the actual history and its ugliness. In some districts there is a push to not just teach the history but to also teach that skin color in this country is the determining factor of success or inclusion in this country, that racial victimhood is baked in and permanent based on race, and that radical steps must be taken to even the field.

Now, maybe ^^^^ that is not CRT. If not, then it has been looped in under the moniker rightly or wrongly but that is beside the point. It IS being taught in colleges and universities, and it IS trickling down into public education. To simply say that it isn’t CRT, and therefore is not being taught in schools is akin to a reductio ad absurdum argument.

I think we would see a lot less objection to teaching our racial history in schools if that is all that it is, but there is also some perpetual victim classism going on and I think that is what people are rejecting. That is what I reject. Young children do not need to be taught to view each other as victims or oppressors, but as equals in a free society that has its flaws and mechanisms for fixing those flaws.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly! Teach history, including Jim Crow from a factual perspective.

Do not expand to victim hood and classism.

Also teach about the civil rights and voting rights bills of the 1960’s and how they have helped to level the field, although it has been a slow process.

Many folks don’t realize how far we have come since the 1950’s when I was born in rural VA. That doesn’t mean that we are all the way there but are farther along than many think.

The goal should be MLKJr’s “son of former slaves walking hand in hand with daughters of former slave owners “ (I did not look up the quote so it may be off a bit).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51559
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 13323
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: UNIfication88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:14 am Image
Has the Ctrl-Left gone from denying that CRT is being taught in schools to arguing that teaching CRT is just teaching history?

Unfortunately, Critical Race Theory is is theoretical, it is NOT history and should not be taught as fact.
User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 24797
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:Image
This is exactly what I said above and not surprising that you missed the point, klam

I learned about the slave trade in public school in rural NC in the 1970s- literally less than 10 years after those very schools were desegregated. Nobody ever objected to it, and nobody raised hell at school boards over it.

Teaching actual history, to my knowledge, is not what people who object to CRT are talking about. If you are aware of some mainstream objection to teaching the actual history of the West African - New World slave trade then feel free to post those.

Until then, your meme is just a classic example of the diversionary straw man argument being made by CRT proponents to distort the debate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51559
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:48 am
kalm wrote:Image
This is exactly what I said above and not surprising that you missed the point, klam

I learned about the slave trade in public school in rural NC in the 1970s- literally less than 10 years after those very schools were desegregated. Nobody ever objected to it, and nobody raised hell at school boards over it.

Teaching actual history, to my knowledge, is not what people who object to CRT are talking about. If you are aware of some mainstream objection to teaching the actual history of the West African - New World slave trade then feel free to post those.

Until then, your meme is just a classic example of the diversionary straw man argument being made by CRT proponents to distort the debate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not sure you’re the intended target of this meme.
Image
Image
Image
dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9331
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by dal4018 »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:48 am
Ibanez wrote:Image


I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem is that the two sides cannot agree on what CRT is.

I learned about the civil rights movement in public school in the 1970s and 1980s in a North Carolina county which was one of the wealthiest in NC prior to the Civil War due to tobacco produced with slave labor. It is just basic history, and in most places it is now and has for some time been taught in schools.

However, CRT has some elements that go way beyond merely teaching the actual history and its ugliness. In some districts there is a push to not just teach the history but to also teach that skin color in this country is the determining factor of success or inclusion in this country, that racial victimhood is baked in and permanent based on race, and that radical steps must be taken to even the field.

Now, maybe ^^^^ that is not CRT. If not, then it has been looped in under the moniker rightly or wrongly but that is beside the point. It IS being taught in colleges and universities, and it IS trickling down into public education. To simply say that it isn’t CRT, and therefore is not being taught in schools is akin to a reductio ad absurdum argument.

I think we would see a lot less objection to teaching our racial history in schools if that is all that it is, but there is also some perpetual victim classism going on and I think that is what people are rejecting. That is what I reject. Young children do not need to be taught to view each other as victims or oppressors, but as equals in a free society that has its flaws and mechanisms for fixing those flaws.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These two ppl met in private If I were that black woman I would have said lets meet in public if you can run your mouth in the '60s then do it in the '90s!!!!!
dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9331
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by dal4018 »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:48 am
kalm wrote:Image
This is exactly what I said above and not surprising that you missed the point, klam

I learned about the slave trade in public school in rural NC in the 1970s- literally less than 10 years after those very schools were desegregated. Nobody ever objected to it, and nobody raised hell at school boards over it.

Teaching actual history, to my knowledge, is not what people who object to CRT are talking about. If you are aware of some mainstream objection to teaching the actual history of the West African - New World slave trade then feel free to post those.

Until then, your meme is just a classic example of the diversionary straw man argument being made by CRT proponents to distort the debate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The state of Texas is responsible for the creation of writing the history books and they are trying to remove any knowledge of slavery from the aforementioned history books.
dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9331
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:54 pm
dal4018 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm
What riots were Antifa&BLM were associated with???
They were not involved in the January 6th Riot.
The Trump fan base says otherwise.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8833
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:02 am
CID1990 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:48 am
This is exactly what I said above and not surprising that you missed the point, klam

I learned about the slave trade in public school in rural NC in the 1970s- literally less than 10 years after those very schools were desegregated. Nobody ever objected to it, and nobody raised hell at school boards over it.

Teaching actual history, to my knowledge, is not what people who object to CRT are talking about. If you are aware of some mainstream objection to teaching the actual history of the West African - New World slave trade then feel free to post those.

Until then, your meme is just a classic example of the diversionary straw man argument being made by CRT proponents to distort the debate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not sure you’re the intended target of this meme.
Who is?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51559
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:54 am
kalm wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:02 am

I’m not sure you’re the intended target of this meme.
Who is?
People who want to sweep history under the rug and/or feel shame and anger when confronted with other’s experiences and observations.
Image
Image
Image
Baldy
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8833
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:03 am
Baldy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:54 am
Who is?
People who want to sweep history under the rug and/or feel shame and anger when confronted with other’s experiences and observations.
That's an extremely small number, and I don't think it includes anyone on this forum.
User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 17511
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:48 am
Ibanez wrote:Image


I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem is that the two sides cannot agree on what CRT is.

I learned about the civil rights movement in public school in the 1970s and 1980s in a North Carolina county which was one of the wealthiest in NC prior to the Civil War due to tobacco produced with slave labor. It is just basic history, and in most places it is now and has for some time been taught in schools.

However, CRT has some elements that go way beyond merely teaching the actual history and its ugliness. In some districts there is a push to not just teach the history but to also teach that skin color in this country is the determining factor of success or inclusion in this country, that racial victimhood is baked in and permanent based on race, and that radical steps must be taken to even the field.

Now, maybe ^^^^ that is not CRT. If not, then it has been looped in under the moniker rightly or wrongly but that is beside the point. It IS being taught in colleges and universities, and it IS trickling down into public education. To simply say that it isn’t CRT, and therefore is not being taught in schools is akin to a reductio ad absurdum argument.

I think we would see a lot less objection to teaching our racial history in schools if that is all that it is, but there is also some perpetual victim classism going on and I think that is what people are rejecting. That is what I reject. Young children do not need to be taught to view each other as victims or oppressors, but as equals in a free society that has its flaws and mechanisms for fixing those flaws.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent post. The Leftist claim that "it's not being taught in schools" is based on that it is not word for word that is seen at the university level not being taught in the elementary/high school level. And yes, this victimhood BS that is looped in with CRT is abhorrent.
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 57601
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by AZGrizFan »

dal4018 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:29 am
CID1990 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:48 am
This is exactly what I said above and not surprising that you missed the point, klam

I learned about the slave trade in public school in rural NC in the 1970s- literally less than 10 years after those very schools were desegregated. Nobody ever objected to it, and nobody raised hell at school boards over it.

Teaching actual history, to my knowledge, is not what people who object to CRT are talking about. If you are aware of some mainstream objection to teaching the actual history of the West African - New World slave trade then feel free to post those.

Until then, your meme is just a classic example of the diversionary straw man argument being made by CRT proponents to distort the debate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The state of Texas is responsible for the creation of writing the history books and they are trying to remove any knowledge of slavery from the aforementioned history books.
What in the actual fuck are you talking about?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 24797
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
Baldy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:54 am Who is?
People who want to sweep history under the rug and/or feel shame and anger when confronted with other’s experiences and observations.
You just bull your way through when anyone points out that objections to CRT are not objections to teaching slavery.

It’s dishonest.

Where are the people who don’t want the history of slavery and segregation taught in schools?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Post Reply