Critical Race Theory

Political discussions
User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 18640
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:38 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:33 pm

Why limit it to black and AA communities?

And yes, private companies can do what they want and employees or potential employees can decide to work there or not.
How about reflecting on "the history of race in the US and systemic issues that various communities have faced" is a good thing?
Define "systemic". This is all just a "who is the biggest victim" game that grants idiots that buy into this shit an excuse from their personal responsibilities. I'll be damned if I'll raise my kid to identify as an "oppressed" person because of the color of their skin.
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 14744
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: UNIfication88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:41 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:38 pm
How about reflecting on "the history of race in the US and systemic issues that various communities have faced" is a good thing?
Define "systemic". This is all just a "who is the biggest victim" game that grants idiots that buy into this shit an excuse from their personal responsibilities. I'll be damned if I'll raise my kid to identify as an "oppressed" person because of the color of their skin.
Systematic as in "illiberal treatment of heterosexual white males is a sickening example of systematic oppression in modern society." :D
User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 18640
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by SDHornet »

Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53283
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:59 am
89Hen wrote:
So you will still die on that hill that it's not being taught?
Imagine a bunch of 12-13 year olds being taught according to that graphic.

How does that not single kids out and divide them? This garbage needs to be put down like a rabid dog.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes that would be wrong. We should just teach history. Regardless of the emotions. Cold virtual honest truthful history. If the group is not emotionally mature enough to handle that then perhaps it shouldn’t be taught to them at all…

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A new bill in Florida would ban public schools and private businesses from making people feel "discomfort" when being taught about racial discrimination in U.S. history.

It passed the state Senate Committee on Education on Jan. 18 with six yeas and three nays and will move on to debate among state senators.

According to the bill, an individual shouldn't be made to "feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race, color, sex, or national origin."

The language mirrors many of the bills that have been introduced in roughly 32 states across the country that attempt to limit or restrict the teaching and discussion of racial history in the U.S.

The Florida bill also states that educators or businesses cannot teach that "one race, religion, ethnicity, or sex is inherently superior to another race, religion, ethnicity, or sex; an individual, by virtue, the individual's race, religion, ethnicity, or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously."

Some educators have protested and argued against what they say are vague attacks on education and curriculum on racial oppression in the U.S.

"It would bring politics into the classroom, chill speech and leave our teachers afraid to teach basic concepts, like the idea that slavery is bad," Florida Education Association (FEA) President Andrew Spar said in a statement to ABC News.

He added, "The legislation's sponsor appeared to indicate Tuesday that, under his bill, a teacher can cover the three-fifths compromise, which in the 1800s said that a Black person would count as three-fifths of a White person, but cannot express the idea that it is morally wrong to classify people of a certain color as being less than others."

Some legislators in support of these bills, including Florida Gov. Rob DeSantis, have invoked critical race theory in their arguments, saying that lessons on the racial history of the United States can be "divisive."

https://6abc.com/critical-race-theory-f ... gjF3ziXeZI
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16475
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by GannonFan »

If this is true...
The Florida bill also states that educators or businesses cannot teach that "one race, religion, ethnicity, or sex is inherently superior to another race, religion, ethnicity, or sex; an individual, by virtue, the individual's race, religion, ethnicity, or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously."
then how is this also true...
"It would bring politics into the classroom, chill speech and leave our teachers afraid to teach basic concepts, like the idea that slavery is bad," Florida Education Association (FEA) President Andrew Spar said in a statement to ABC News.

He added, "The legislation's sponsor appeared to indicate Tuesday that, under his bill, a teacher can cover the three-fifths compromise, which in the 1800s said that a Black person would count as three-fifths of a White person, but cannot express the idea that it is morally wrong to classify people of a certain color as being less than others."
The FEA guy isn't making a lot of sense based on what's included in the newspaper article that kalmie posted.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23123
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:18 pm BuT cRt IsNt TaUgHt In ScHoOlS

Cisgender :-? Some wokeahadist term I take it..
Cignetti through 3rd season at JMU:
33-5 overall.
26-1 vs FCS regular season.
18-1 vs CAA
7-3 playoffs.
Image
User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 25415
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:59 am Imagine a bunch of 12-13 year olds being taught according to that graphic.

How does that not single kids out and divide them? This garbage needs to be put down like a rabid dog.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes that would be wrong. We should just teach history. Regardless of the emotions. Cold virtual honest truthful history. If the group is not emotionally mature enough to handle that then perhaps it shouldn’t be taught to them at all…

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A new bill in Florida would ban public schools and private businesses from making people feel "discomfort" when being taught about racial discrimination in U.S. history.

It passed the state Senate Committee on Education on Jan. 18 with six yeas and three nays and will move on to debate among state senators.

According to the bill, an individual shouldn't be made to "feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race, color, sex, or national origin."

The language mirrors many of the bills that have been introduced in roughly 32 states across the country that attempt to limit or restrict the teaching and discussion of racial history in the U.S.

The Florida bill also states that educators or businesses cannot teach that "one race, religion, ethnicity, or sex is inherently superior to another race, religion, ethnicity, or sex; an individual, by virtue, the individual's race, religion, ethnicity, or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously."

Some educators have protested and argued against what they say are vague attacks on education and curriculum on racial oppression in the U.S.

"It would bring politics into the classroom, chill speech and leave our teachers afraid to teach basic concepts, like the idea that slavery is bad," Florida Education Association (FEA) President Andrew Spar said in a statement to ABC News.

He added, "The legislation's sponsor appeared to indicate Tuesday that, under his bill, a teacher can cover the three-fifths compromise, which in the 1800s said that a Black person would count as three-fifths of a White person, but cannot express the idea that it is morally wrong to classify people of a certain color as being less than others."

Some legislators in support of these bills, including Florida Gov. Rob DeSantis, have invoked critical race theory in their arguments, saying that lessons on the racial history of the United States can be "divisive."

https://6abc.com/critical-race-theory-f ... gjF3ziXeZI
That graphic has nothing to do with history.

You keep diverting and bringing teaching history into this even though it has been established over and over that is a red herring.

Why can’t you just bring yourself to say that what is depicted in the graphic is in fact CRT, and that it should not be taught in public schools? And then you can talk about history class all you want.

The history you keep claiming should be taught is already taught, and has been in most places since the 1970s. There is no movement or push to stop that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53283
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 am
kalm wrote:
Yes that would be wrong. We should just teach history. Regardless of the emotions. Cold virtual honest truthful history. If the group is not emotionally mature enough to handle that then perhaps it shouldn’t be taught to them at all…

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A new bill in Florida would ban public schools and private businesses from making people feel "discomfort" when being taught about racial discrimination in U.S. history.

It passed the state Senate Committee on Education on Jan. 18 with six yeas and three nays and will move on to debate among state senators.

According to the bill, an individual shouldn't be made to "feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race, color, sex, or national origin."

The language mirrors many of the bills that have been introduced in roughly 32 states across the country that attempt to limit or restrict the teaching and discussion of racial history in the U.S.

The Florida bill also states that educators or businesses cannot teach that "one race, religion, ethnicity, or sex is inherently superior to another race, religion, ethnicity, or sex; an individual, by virtue, the individual's race, religion, ethnicity, or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously."

Some educators have protested and argued against what they say are vague attacks on education and curriculum on racial oppression in the U.S.

"It would bring politics into the classroom, chill speech and leave our teachers afraid to teach basic concepts, like the idea that slavery is bad," Florida Education Association (FEA) President Andrew Spar said in a statement to ABC News.

He added, "The legislation's sponsor appeared to indicate Tuesday that, under his bill, a teacher can cover the three-fifths compromise, which in the 1800s said that a Black person would count as three-fifths of a White person, but cannot express the idea that it is morally wrong to classify people of a certain color as being less than others."

Some legislators in support of these bills, including Florida Gov. Rob DeSantis, have invoked critical race theory in their arguments, saying that lessons on the racial history of the United States can be "divisive."

https://6abc.com/critical-race-theory-f ... gjF3ziXeZI
That graphic has nothing to do with history.

You keep diverting and bringing teaching history into this even though it has been established over and over that is a red herring.

Why can’t you just bring yourself to say that what is depicted in the graphic is in fact CRT, and that it should not be taught in public schools? And then you can talk about history class all you want.

The history you keep claiming should be taught is already taught, and has been in most places since the 1970s. There is no movement or push to stop that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I acknowledge that if the graphic is correct it’s wrong. According to the article regarding Florida, your boy, DeSantis and the conks don’t want history being taught that hurts feelings. “Snowflake” being the easy and obvious projection term exposed.

Walk and chew gum, CID.

:thumb:
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 59274
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:31 am
CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 am
That graphic has nothing to do with history.

You keep diverting and bringing teaching history into this even though it has been established over and over that is a red herring.

Why can’t you just bring yourself to say that what is depicted in the graphic is in fact CRT, and that it should not be taught in public schools? And then you can talk about history class all you want.

The history you keep claiming should be taught is already taught, and has been in most places since the 1970s. There is no movement or push to stop that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I acknowledge that if the graphic is correct it’s wrong. According to the article regarding Florida, your boy, DeSantis and the conks don’t want history being taught that hurts feelings. “Snowflake” being the easy and obvious projection term exposed.

Walk and chew gum, CID.

:thumb:
Why should history hurt the feelings of those learning it TODAY? Should I be made to feel guilty because because some white guys 200 years ago didn’t have the same moral compass we have today? History can be taught, and taught accurately, without pitting one group of kids in the class against another group. It’s precisely this “divide and conquer” bullshit strategy that’s got this country so fucked up in the last 15 years.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
User avatar
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 39214
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:31 am I acknowledge that if the graphic is correct it’s wrong. According to the article regarding Florida, your boy, DeSantis and the conks don’t want history being taught that hurts feelings. “Snowflake” being the easy and obvious projection term exposed.

Walk and chew gum, CID.

:thumb:
Nice redirect.

BTW, the graphic from Fairfax County was just on my local NBC News. Not that they are the final word, but it does make me believe it's real.
Image
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 14744
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: UNIfication88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:41 am
kalm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:31 am

I acknowledge that if the graphic is correct it’s wrong. According to the article regarding Florida, your boy, DeSantis and the conks don’t want history being taught that hurts feelings. “Snowflake” being the easy and obvious projection term exposed.

Walk and chew gum, CID.

:thumb:
Why should history hurt the feelings of those learning it TODAY? Should I be made to feel guilty because because some white guys 200 years ago didn’t have the same moral compass we have today? History can be taught, and taught accurately, without pitting one group of kids in the class against another group. It’s precisely this “divide and conquer” bullshit strategy that’s got this country so fucked up in the last 15 years.
I agree with you on teaching CRT but I also found this funny ...

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 25415
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 am That graphic has nothing to do with history.

You keep diverting and bringing teaching history into this even though it has been established over and over that is a red herring.

Why can’t you just bring yourself to say that what is depicted in the graphic is in fact CRT, and that it should not be taught in public schools? And then you can talk about history class all you want.

The history you keep claiming should be taught is already taught, and has been in most places since the 1970s. There is no movement or push to stop that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I acknowledge that if the graphic is correct it’s wrong. According to the article regarding Florida, your boy, DeSantis and the conks don’t want history being taught that hurts feelings. “Snowflake” being the easy and obvious projection term exposed.

Walk and chew gum, CID.

:thumb:
And DeSantis’ administration is taking the wrong approach to that. But they are responding to the progressive argument (which you continue to flog) that there is no CRT, it is merely US history they are teaching.

That kind of prevarication is what delivered the entire Virginia state government to the GOP - because normal people don’t buy the lies and they don’t like being told they don’t have agency in their kids’ education.

The who, wha, me? approach to this that you and the rest of the extreme left are taking insults people’s intelligence. Quite frankly, I hope you keep it up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53283
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:43 am
kalm wrote:
I acknowledge that if the graphic is correct it’s wrong. According to the article regarding Florida, your boy, DeSantis and the conks don’t want history being taught that hurts feelings. “Snowflake” being the easy and obvious projection term exposed.

Walk and chew gum, CID.

:thumb:
And DeSantis’ administration is taking the wrong approach to that. But they are responding to the progressive argument (which you continue to flog) that there is no CRT, it is merely US history they are teaching.

That kind of prevarication is what delivered the entire Virginia state government to the GOP - because normal people don’t buy the lies and they don’t like being told they don’t have agency in their kids’ education.

The who, wha, me? approach to this that you and the rest of the extreme left are taking insults people’s intelligence. Quite frankly, I hope you keep it up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll try and type slower next time so you can follow along.

:thumb:

Of course CRT exists. It’s influence has just been exaggerated. I’ll keep an eye on it as I recognize the slippery slope.

America is full of self deceit. This rather obviously includes “normal” people…the one’s you might normally refer to as “cunts” but only the ones you disagree with.

It’s ok…we all do that from time to time.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 39214
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:02 am I’ll try and type slower next time so you can follow along.

:thumb:

Of course CRT exists. It’s influence has just been exaggerated. I’ll keep an eye on it as I recognize the slippery slope.

America is full of self deceit. This rather obviously includes “normal” people…the one’s you might normally refer to as “cunts” but only the ones you disagree with.

It’s ok…we all do that from time to time.
Also kalm...
I still haven’t seen anyone provide evidence that CRT is an actual part of the curriculum. Or that I’m supposed to personally be ashamed for being white.
Right after you link to where victim hood is being taught.
So are we actually teaching victimhood as part of the curriculum? And how so?
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53283
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 am
kalm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:02 am I’ll try and type slower next time so you can follow along.

:thumb:

Of course CRT exists. It’s influence has just been exaggerated. I’ll keep an eye on it as I recognize the slippery slope.

America is full of self deceit. This rather obviously includes “normal” people…the one’s you might normally refer to as “cunts” but only the ones you disagree with.

It’s ok…we all do that from time to time.
Also kalm...
I still haven’t seen anyone provide evidence that CRT is an actual part of the curriculum. Or that I’m supposed to personally be ashamed for being white.
Right after you link to where victim hood is being taught.
So are we actually teaching victimhood as part of the curriculum? And how so?
Right. I never said it didn’t exist. It still remains to be proven the extent to which if any it is being taught in schools.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 14744
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: UNIfication88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:08 am Right. I never said it didn’t exist. It still remains to be proven the extent to which if any it is being taught in schools.
You asked for proof that victimhood is being taught and privilege bingo shows that it is being taught in at least one school. If it's being taught in one it's reasonable to assume that it's being taught in more. It might only be 1% of the schools which doesn't seem like a big deal unless your child is going to one of those schools. It's also a problem if this is only a start/step.

Telling people that they are victims and that they aren't responsible for their lot in life is short-sighted. There are people who have had a tougher road, who have been discriminated against but the solution is to empower them and give them opportunities not to tell them they're victims and that they're owed better. That is completely contrary to the principles this country was founded upon, we were founded by victims who built a better life. The solution is also not to demonize people who have the same traits (skin color, gender, sexual orientation) as past oppressors because one, they might not have done anything so you're stereotyping them, and two, you're only turning them into future victims.
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 59274
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:02 am
CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:43 am
And DeSantis’ administration is taking the wrong approach to that. But they are responding to the progressive argument (which you continue to flog) that there is no CRT, it is merely US history they are teaching.

That kind of prevarication is what delivered the entire Virginia state government to the GOP - because normal people don’t buy the lies and they don’t like being told they don’t have agency in their kids’ education.

The who, wha, me? approach to this that you and the rest of the extreme left are taking insults people’s intelligence. Quite frankly, I hope you keep it up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll try and type slower next time so you can follow along.

:thumb:

Of course CRT exists. It’s influence has just been exaggerated. I’ll keep an eye on it as I recognize the slippery slope.

America is full of self deceit. This rather obviously includes “normal” people…the one’s you might normally refer to as “cunts” but only the ones you disagree with.

It’s ok…we all do that from time to time.
I remember in the not too distant past we used to say “well of course socialist and socialism exists in America, but it’s influence has just been exagerated”. And now, after 30-50 years of denying its “influence”, here we are as a country in the fight of our lives to prevent a full-on conversion to socialist rule.

This (CRT) is the kind of thing that needs to get nipped in the bud EARLY, and not wait until it actually HAS influence.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
User avatar
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 39214
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:08 am
89Hen wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 am
Also kalm...


Right. I never said it didn’t exist. It still remains to be proven the extent to which if any it is being taught in schools.
High difficulty factor on that dismount. :coffee:
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53283
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:02 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:08 am Right. I never said it didn’t exist. It still remains to be proven the extent to which if any it is being taught in schools.
You asked for proof that victimhood is being taught and privilege bingo shows that it is being taught in at least one school. If it's being taught in one it's reasonable to assume that it's being taught in more. It might only be 1% of the schools which doesn't seem like a big deal unless your child is going to one of those schools. It's also a problem if this is only a start/step.

Telling people that they are victims and that they aren't responsible for their lot in life is short-sighted. There are people who have had a tougher road, who have been discriminated against but the solution is to empower them and give them opportunities not to tell them they're victims and that they're owed better. That is completely contrary to the principles this country was founded upon, we were founded by victims who built a better life. The solution is also not to demonize people who have the same traits (skin color, gender, sexual orientation) as past oppressors because one, they might not have done anything so you're stereotyping them, and two, you're only turning them into future victims.
Fair and I acknowledged the slippery slope. Can you acknowledge (like so many controversies) it’s been blown out of proportion and potentially to a point where the antidotes themselves are damaging to real history being taught?

Didn’t the South try to educate generations that secession was noble (I mean yeah there was sone slavery and shit but the rest of it was heroic! Just ask the statue of Jedidiah Springfield in the town square!)

Shouldn’t we also teach young people (obviously only at a level and age they can emotionally process it) that history is messy and there are some uncomfortable truths?

I still feel bad about slavery and recognize that I’ve led a life of immense privilege compared to most on earth. Is that OK? Christ…I know adults older than me that literally get mad at that notion.

Like Victor Frankl said, man’s one true freedom lies in his ability to control his emotional response to things beyond his control.
Then again…Frankl was clearly a sexist for not including women in his wisdom….

:mrgreen:
Image
Image
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53283
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:48 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:08 am

Right. I never said it didn’t exist. It still remains to be proven the extent to which if any it is being taught in schools.
High difficulty factor on that dismount. :coffee:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Baldy
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9073
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:15 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:02 pm

You asked for proof that victimhood is being taught and privilege bingo shows that it is being taught in at least one school. If it's being taught in one it's reasonable to assume that it's being taught in more. It might only be 1% of the schools which doesn't seem like a big deal unless your child is going to one of those schools. It's also a problem if this is only a start/step.

Telling people that they are victims and that they aren't responsible for their lot in life is short-sighted. There are people who have had a tougher road, who have been discriminated against but the solution is to empower them and give them opportunities not to tell them they're victims and that they're owed better. That is completely contrary to the principles this country was founded upon, we were founded by victims who built a better life. The solution is also not to demonize people who have the same traits (skin color, gender, sexual orientation) as past oppressors because one, they might not have done anything so you're stereotyping them, and two, you're only turning them into future victims.
Fair and I acknowledged the slippery slope. Can you acknowledge (like so many controversies) it’s been blown out of proportion and potentially to a point where the antidotes themselves are damaging to real history being taught?
Simple question.
If it's being blown out of proportion so much, why are the advocates for it pushing back so hard?
Didn’t the South try to educate generations that secession was noble (I mean yeah there was sone slavery and shit but the rest of it was heroic! Just ask the statue of Jedidiah Springfield in the town square!)
No.
Shouldn’t we also teach young people (obviously only at a level and age they can emotionally process it) that history is messy and there are some uncomfortable truths?
For the 40 11th time, CRT isn't history.
I still feel bad about slavery and recognize that I’ve led a life of immense privilege compared to most on earth. Is that OK? Christ…I know adults older than me that literally get mad at that notion.
I feel much worse about our so-called leaders in more recent and relevant years intentionally creating a multi-generational welfare dependent class. It's the 20th century version of American slavery. That's what should really piss you off.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53283
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 am
kalm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:15 am

Fair and I acknowledged the slippery slope. Can you acknowledge (like so many controversies) it’s been blown out of proportion and potentially to a point where the antidotes themselves are damaging to real history being taught?
Simple question.
If it's being blown out of proportion so much, why are the advocates for it pushing back so hard?
Didn’t the South try to educate generations that secession was noble (I mean yeah there was sone slavery and shit but the rest of it was heroic! Just ask the statue of Jedidiah Springfield in the town square!)
No.
Shouldn’t we also teach young people (obviously only at a level and age they can emotionally process it) that history is messy and there are some uncomfortable truths?
For the 40 11th time, CRT isn't history.
I still feel bad about slavery and recognize that I’ve led a life of immense privilege compared to most on earth. Is that OK? Christ…I know adults older than me that literally get mad at that notion.
I feel much worse about our so-called leaders in more recent and relevant years intentionally creating a multi-generational welfare dependent class. It's the 20th century version of American slavery. That's what should really piss you off.
That last line plants you squarely beside the marxists. :lol:

Advocates pushing back is human behavior that both sides obviously are guilty of. ‘Those guys don’t like it? Fuck that, it must be right!!!!’

CRT is a version of history. Whether it’s correct or whether you and I agree with it or not.

You’re denial of the South is part of the reason CRT has been pushed.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 59274
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:20 am
Baldy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 am
Simple question.
If it's being blown out of proportion so much, why are the advocates for it pushing back so hard?


No.


For the 40 11th time, CRT isn't history.


I feel much worse about our so-called leaders in more recent and relevant years intentionally creating a multi-generational welfare dependent class. It's the 20th century version of American slavery. That's what should really piss you off.
That last line plants you squarely beside the marxists. :lol:

Advocates pushing back is human behavior that both sides obviously are guilty of. ‘Those guys don’t like it? Fuck that, it must be right!!!!’

CRT is a version of history. Whether it’s correct or whether you and I agree with it or not.

You’re denial of the South is part of the reason CRT has been pushed.
CRT isn’t a “version” of history. It’s not remotely history. It’s an emotional attempt to divide and pit groups against one another.

And Baldy is right about 20th century slavery.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53283
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:32 am
kalm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:20 am

That last line plants you squarely beside the marxists. :lol:

Advocates pushing back is human behavior that both sides obviously are guilty of. ‘Those guys don’t like it? Fuck that, it must be right!!!!’

CRT is a version of history. Whether it’s correct or whether you and I agree with it or not.

You’re denial of the South is part of the reason CRT has been pushed.
CRT isn’t a “version” of history. It’s not remotely history. It’s an emotional attempt to divide and pit groups against one another.

And Baldy is right about 20th century slavery.
Ah…another neo-Marxist! Excellent! The plan is working! :lol:

Btw…aside from the anecdotal examples documented in tweets, what exactly IS being taught? I mean CRT in its entirety as a curriculum? How does it vary from real history?

Sincere question….
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 14744
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: UNIfication88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:06 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:32 am
CRT isn’t a “version” of history. It’s not remotely history. It’s an emotional attempt to divide and pit groups against one another.

And Baldy is right about 20th century slavery.
Ah…another neo-Marxist! Excellent! The plan is working! :lol:

Btw…aside from the anecdotal examples documented in tweets, what exactly IS being taught? I mean CRT in its entirety as a curriculum? How does it vary from real history?

Sincere question….
There are at least two elements that I'm seeing with CRT. One, the idea that the US is an inherently racist nation. That is a theory of history, one that I disagree with and one that definitely isn't proven enough to be taught below the HS Honors level and probably college-level Two, the idea that whites are oppressors and POC and others are victims. That is absolutely not history.

Slavery happened. The 3/5's compromise happened. Racism happened and is still happening. History should be taught but it should focus on facts, not opinions or unproven theories.

Another thing about CRT that pisses me off is that it doesn't acknowledge the progress we've made and continue to make. Things are better and they continue to get better. We could do even better but we are definitely not locked into the oppressor and victim roles with CRT the only way out.
Post Reply