Estate tax wtf

Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Estate tax wtf

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:The vast majority of Americans couldn't care less about the estate tax.
well, if Obama has his way regarding tax rates on the "rich" :roll: :roll: :roll: , there'll be even FEWER Americans who will care about the estate tax....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

LeadBolt wrote:I'm intrigued by the statement that a retroactive tax could be imposed for 2010 to tax those who died during the time there was no estate tax. How can you retroactively tax a dead person? :-?
The government can tax anything and anyone at anytime.

I'm waiting for the government to start taxing millionaires that died 50 years ago.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

LeadBolt wrote:I'm intrigued by the statement that a retroactive tax could be imposed for 2010 to tax those who died during the time there was no estate tax. How can you retroactively tax a dead person? :-?
UNI31f wrote:
The government can tax anything and anyone at anytime.

I'm waiting for the government to start taxing millionaires that died 50 years ago.
I don't think you're right on that one UNI31F.

You'd be retroactively taxing the estate, not the dead person but there is a pretty well-defined body of law on retroactive taxes that would likely prevent it from happening. The Due Process clause applies.

SCOTUS took up a similar issue in US v. Hemme where it held that Congress could not apply a gift tax retroactively where there was no gift tax when the gifts took place.

It would be an unconstitutional "taking" by the government.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Hey DF -
Can't you shelter a lot of your estate and avoid probate by setting up a trust?
From the class of 09
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by From the class of 09 »

danefan wrote:
SCOTUS took up a similar issue in US v. Hemme where it held that Congress could not apply a gift tax retroactively where there was no gift tax when the gifts took place.

Yeah I don't think it is a good idea but it has been talked about and you know there are some lawyers just drooling over the potential lawsuits.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

From the class of 09 wrote:
danefan wrote:

Yeah I don't think it is a good idea but it has been talked about and you know there are some lawyers just drooling over the potential lawsuits.
I'm wiping my chin as we speak thinking about the legal fees I could rake in taking a challenge through the federal courts. :D
Last edited by danefan on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the class of 09

ASUG8 wrote:Hey DF -
I ain't DF but you can avoid probate but you still (in a normal year) have to pay the taxes. Rev Living Trust is def something to consider for yourself if you're thinking of dying :?
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Not totally, but it really depends on the type of trust and specifically who the beneficiaries of that trust are. Its

The government will get their money eventually on your estate unless you give it to a charity (unlimited charitable deduction). Even if you give it to your spouse the gov't will eventually get their's when your spouse dies (unless she spends it or gives it to a charity).

You can avoid probate, but don't believe the hype about probate. If you set up your will properly, probate isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The "Norman Dacey" thought process actually cost a lot of families money in long run.

danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

I ain't DF but you can avoid probate but you still (in a normal year) have to pay the taxes. Rev Living Trust is def something to consider for yourself if you're thinking of dying :?
Yes, avoiding probate and avoiding estate (or inheritance taxes as some states have) are two mutually exclusive things.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

We set up our wills several years ago and (although I asked) the attorney we used recommended that we not set up a Revocable Living Trust at the time due to cost and the fact that we really didn't have a pile of assets accumulated. Not that we've become suddenly wealthy or anything, but we might want to revisit the issue now.

I'm not really thinking of dying, but there's better than a coin toss chance that it might happen eventually. :shock:
From the class of 09

ASUG8 wrote:
We set up our wills several years ago and (although I asked) the attorney we used recommended that we not set up a Revocable Living Trust at the time due to cost and the fact that we really didn't have a pile of assets accumulated. Not that we've become suddenly wealthy or anything, but we might want to revisit the issue now.

I'm not really thinking of dying, but there's better than a coin toss chance that it might happen eventually. :shock:
yeah everybody's situation is different talk to the professionals who know your situation.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

ASUG8 wrote:

I wouldn't do anything until they pass the new estate tax.
UCABEAR
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Central Arkansas
A.K.A.: UCABEAR

Post by UCABEAR »

I just think we all need to come to the realization that we don't own anything. :ohno: You can pay off your $250,000 house but don't owe a penny in property taxes or you'll lose it in a heartbeat. :thumbdown: Buy a used car in Arkansas and you have to pay sales tax on it. :thumbdown: (Wasn't that crap paid when it was bought new?) The list goes on and on...we just have to realize we don't own anything..especially money. :lol:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UCABEAR wrote:I just think we all need to come to the realization that we don't own anything. :ohno: You can pay off your $250,000 house but don't owe a penny in property taxes or you'll lose it in a heartbeat. :thumbdown: Buy a used car in Arkansas and you have to pay sales tax on it. :thumbdown: (Wasn't that crap paid when it was bought new?) The list goes on and on...we just have to realize we don't own anything..especially money. :lol:
Figured that out decades ago. The trick is to minimize the interface between you and the guvmint and the bankers.

Pay cash even if you have to pawn the spare tire. :nod:
You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by c squared. Then you energy.

"I really love America. I just don't know how to get there anymore."John Prine
UCABEAR
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Central Arkansas
A.K.A.: UCABEAR

Post by UCABEAR »

houndawg wrote:
UCABEAR wrote:I just think we all need to come to the realization that we don't own anything. :ohno: You can pay off your $250,000 house but don't owe a penny in property taxes or you'll lose it in a heartbeat. :thumbdown: Buy a used car in Arkansas and you have to pay sales tax on it. :thumbdown: (Wasn't that crap paid when it was bought new?) The list goes on and on...we just have to realize we don't own anything..especially money. :lol:
Figured that out decades ago. The trick is to minimize the interface between you and the guvmint and the bankers.

Pay cash even if you have to pawn the spare tire. :nod:
There's an awful lot of water between me and my money. ;)
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:The vast majority of Americans couldn't care less about the estate tax.
well, if Obama has his way regarding tax rates on the "rich" :roll: :roll: :roll: , there'll be even FEWER Americans who will care about the estate tax....
Not my problem.

Unless they look in that hollow log in the back pasture.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

What ever happened to fiscal responsibility...no such thing as a free lunch...that shining city on the hill?

At least there's still a few who are willing to pay for America: :ohno:

"My life of great comfort was made possible in spite of the estate tax, and my grandfather would be the first person to tell you he was able to amass his fortune not in spite of but because of the American system," including that tax, Abigail Disney, grandniece of Walt Disney and granddaughter of Roy Disney, said in a conference call with reporters.

For his part, Julian Robertson, on Forbes' list of the 400 richest Americans in 2009, whose firm Tiger Management was one of the first hedge funds in the 1980s, said the estate tax is a key tool for lowering the government deficit.

"You don't get out of a credit crisis by borrowing more money. You get out of a credit crisis by putting your house in order, and in America's case by bringing its budget deficit down," Robertson said on the call.

"This implies tax increases. The fairest way to increase taxes would be to tax the least deserving recipients of wealth, which are the inheritors," Robertson said.

While some claim the estate tax leads to dollars getting taxed twice -- first by income tax and then the estate tax -- that wasn't the case for her family, Disney said, in a telephone interview.

"I was 18 in 1978, which is when my inheritance kicked in," Disney said. "Between 1978 and now, 2010, go have a look at what happened to Disney stock (DIS: 34.99, 0, 0%) ."

"I was on the receiving end of a ridiculous amount of good luck, none of which I would pay taxes on except so far as I paid a capital-gains tax when I sold those assets," she said.

"Those assets were mine to borrow against, to deploy in a variety of ways. I benefitted from the appreciation of those assets," she said. "If I pass appreciated assets to my children they never get taxed unless there's an estate tax."

"My grandfather had assets that appreciated in value. He didn't make income the way other people do. Of course, he paid taxes in his lifetime [but] the assets that appreciated in value in his lifetime that he never sold and paid a capital-gains tax on, he passed those through to me and they were never taxed."
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote:What ever happened to fiscal responsibility...no such thing as a free lunch...that shining city on the hill?

"My life of great comfort was made possible in spite of the estate tax, and my grandfather would be the first person to tell you he was able to amass his fortune not in spite of but because of the American system," including that tax, Abigail Disney, grandniece of Walt Disney and granddaughter of Roy Disney, said in a conference call with reporters.

For his part, Julian Robertson, on Forbes' list of the 400 richest Americans in 2009, whose firm Tiger Management was one of the first hedge funds in the 1980s, said the estate tax is a key tool for lowering the government deficit.

"You don't get out of a credit crisis by borrowing more money. You get out of a credit crisis by putting your house in order, and in America's case by bringing its budget deficit down," Robertson said on the call.

"This implies tax increases. The fairest way to increase taxes would be to tax the least deserving recipients of wealth, which are the inheritors," Robertson said.

While some claim the estate tax leads to dollars getting taxed twice -- first by income tax and then the estate tax -- that wasn't the case for her family, Disney said, in a telephone interview.

"I was 18 in 1978, which is when my inheritance kicked in," Disney said. "Between 1978 and now, 2010, go have a look at what happened to Disney stock (DIS: 34.99, 0, 0%) ."

"I was on the receiving end of a ridiculous amount of good luck, none of which I would pay taxes on except so far as I paid a capital-gains tax when I sold those assets," she said.

"Those assets were mine to borrow against, to deploy in a variety of ways. I benefitted from the appreciation of those assets," she said. "If I pass appreciated assets to my children they never get taxed unless there's an estate tax."

"My grandfather had assets that appreciated in value. He didn't make income the way other people do. Of course, he paid taxes in his lifetime [but] the assets that appreciated in value in his lifetime that he never sold and paid a capital-gains tax on, he passed those through to me and they were never taxed."

Cool, an old-school rich person with class. :thumb:

LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

I've always thought that inheritance taxes should be at the rate of long term capital gain taxes, which is what most of them are.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

LeadBolt wrote:I've always thought that inheritance taxes should be at the rate of long term capital gain taxes, which is what most of them are.
I agree. A more fair system of estate tax is to tax the assets as if they were disposed of on the date of death. Then treat all the disposition the same way you would treat any other dispositon - tax only the gain, determine whether its a capital asset or not, if its capital determine whether its a long-term or short-term gain and apply the applicable rate.

You can still provide for a credit for smaller estates, but that credit would just be tailored to the gain instead of the overall value of the estate.

This also solves the problem with double taxation. You are only getting taxed on the income not previously taxed (i.e. the gain).

The problem with this in practice though is that it will make estate tax returns very complicated, especially if the decedent did not keep good recrods.

(and BTW - to avoid confusion - inheritance tax and estate (aka death) tax are two very different things. The inheritance tax is a tax imposed on the beneficiaries of an estate. Estate tax is imposed on the decedent's estate....there is no federal inheritance tax. There are some states that still have inheritance taxes (NJ for one), but most have done away with them.)
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

kalm wrote:What ever happened to fiscal responsibility...no such thing as a free lunch...that shining city on the hill?

I think you mean to say that there are still a few idiots around who are willing to enable and subsidize the governments compulsive and fiscally irresponsible behavior.

You know, the wealthy inheritors cited in the article have never been prevented from paying more than they were obligated to pay. If they feel so strongly about the matter, why didn't they just write checks to the government? These are just more people who believe they are entitled to tell others what they may or may not do with their money. We already have too many of those people in Congress and the White House.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CitadelGrad wrote:

I think you mean to say that there are still a few idiots around who are willing to enable and subsidize the governments compulsive and fiscally irresponsible behavior.

You know, the wealthy inheritors cited in the article have never been prevented from paying more than they were obligated to pay. If they feel so strongly about the matter, why didn't they just write checks to the government? These are just more people who believe they are entitled to tell others what they may or may not do with their money. We already have too many of those people in Congress and the White House.
:rofl:

Why do you hate generous and grateful rich people? :thumb:
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

Are they really that generous? It seems that they've done only what the government has compelled them to do. Perhaps their gratitude is misplaced if they feel more of it toward the government than those who actually created the wealth that they enjoy.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787