TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Re: Bush tax cuts vs. Obama tax cuts

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
TheDancinMonarch wrote:
Perhaps Adam should be updated to the realities of the 21st century. There are multiple food programs for the poor which allow them "vanities and luxuries" like cell phones, piercings and tatoos. Just stand in line on Moocher Day (the 1st of the month) at the grocery store. It's like a talking museum with EBT cards.
You can't buy things like cell phones, piercing, and tatoos (sic) with food stamps or EBT cards. :|

A friend of mine has MS and gets a debit card for his social security disability payments. He can only buy food.
I didn't say you could buy those things with an EBT card. But you can buy them with cash you don't have to spend for food beacuse of our overly benevolent government.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

TheDancinMonarch wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
You can't buy things like cell phones, piercing, and tatoos (sic) with food stamps or EBT cards. :|

A friend of mine has MS and gets a debit card for his social security disability payments. He can only buy food.
I didn't say you could buy those things with an EBT card. But you can buy them with cash you don't have to spend for food beacuse of our overly benevolent government.
Use small words and pictures....lubricunt ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. :coffee: :dunce:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

OL FU wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
Thanks for the only serious and thoughtful reply. :thumb:

I agree that tax increases aren't the answer to all of our problems and won't solve the debt problem alone. We have to cut spending AND raise taxes. But, it seems like one side wants to do only one thing and the other side only wants to do the other... so, we aren't going to see any progress anytime soon. We HAVE to do BOTH.
I would be willing to consider voting for someone who was in favor of raising taxes, if and only if, we have made a serious attempt at cutting all potential spending excesses.

BTW, I don't mean we have cut $trillion out of the budget overnight, but there has to be a plan and I simply don't see that as possible. Call me very pessimistic. :(
I'd call you realistic :ohno: These bozos are like drunks with an ATM card - we put more money in, they'll find BS to spend it on instead of putting it toward the debt.
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter

ASUG8 wrote:
OL FU wrote:
I would be willing to consider voting for someone who was in favor of raising taxes, if and only if, we have made a serious attempt at cutting all potential spending excesses.

BTW, I don't mean we have cut $trillion out of the budget overnight, but there has to be a plan and I simply don't see that as possible. Call me very pessimistic. :(
I'd call you realistic :ohno: These bozos are like drunks with an ATM card - we put more money in, they'll find BS to spend it on instead of putting it toward the debt.
Amen to that!
coastal89
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: CCU

Post by coastal89 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

That's his point. They've got MONEY. They chose to spend it on cell phones, piercings and tattoos because they CAN...the good ol' gov't is putting food in their mouths... :ohno: :ohno:
The government is giving them free cell phones now.

http://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enrollm ... /home.aspx
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Free food
Free housing
Free healthcare
Free daycare
Free kindergarten
Free cell phones
free...free....free....

why in the WORLD would any of these people EVER vote against a democrat? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

Some of these people might be whole lot less in favor of BHO since he didn't get them their free homes, cars, etc.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/housing ... 89653.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thirty thousand people turned out in East Point on Wednesday seeking applications for government-subsidized housing, and their confusion and frustration, combined with the summer heat, led to a chaotic mob scene that left 62 people injured.
Hansel
I am a fan of: myself

Post by Hansel »

How do you get a income tax cut if you don't pay income taxes?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Hansel wrote:How do you get a income tax cut if you don't pay income taxes?
You get money back that you never sent in. It's like winning the lottery. :lol:
coastal89
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: CCU

Post by coastal89 »

ASUG8 wrote:Some of these people might be whole lot less in favor of BHO since he didn't get them their free homes, cars, etc.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/housing ... 89653.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thirty thousand people turned out in East Point on Wednesday seeking applications for government-subsidized housing, and their confusion and frustration, combined with the summer heat, led to a chaotic mob scene that left 62 people injured.
The free car is in the works. GM just bought AmeriCredit Corp., a company that specializes in loans to low income bad credit risks. That strategy was so successful in the housing industry, why not the autto industry.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20 ... ce-company
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter

Hansel wrote:How do you get a income tax cut if you don't pay income taxes?
Earned Income Tax Credit
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

coastal89 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
That's his point. They've got MONEY. They chose to spend it on cell phones, piercings and tattoos because they CAN...the good ol' gov't is putting food in their mouths... :ohno: :ohno:
The government is giving them free cell phones now.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

From your safelinkwireless.com page:
There is no "Obama phone" or other newly created federal program to provide free cell phones. As you may know, this is a myth that is now circulating on the Web via email and blog sites. It has been thoroughly debunked by independent groups. (See for example: FactCheck.org at http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which notes: "Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it."
The federal "Lifeline" program was created during the Reagan Administration. Lifeline is a federal program created by the Reagan era Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1984. The program was enhanced under Telecommunications Act of 1996, which was supported on a broadly bipartisan basis in Congress. The FCC’s Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), is designed to ensure that quality telecommunications services are available to low-income customers at just, reasonable, and affordable rates. Lifeline support reduces eligible low-income consumers' monthly charges for basic telephone service.
http://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enrollm ... efits.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: You haven't yet provided any answer to my question: WHY should someone have to pay a higher percentage of their income, just because they make MORE money?
Because their principle expense is vanities and luxuries while the poor's principle expenses are necessities. :thumb:

The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. A tax upon house-rents, therefore, would in general fall heaviest upon the rich; and in this sort of inequality there would not, perhaps, be anything very unreasonable. It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations
I could see the Adam Smith quote coming from a mile away. Jellybelly just loves that one.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

CitadelGrad wrote:
I could see the Adam Smith quote coming from a mile away. Jellybelly just loves that one.
Hell yeah I do. "The Father of Capitalism" arguing a position that you right wing nutjobs think is Marxist. :lol: :ohno:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Great graph - of course, if we can't tie it into expected deficits and employment numbers, then it's nothing more than a yelling point between partisans of both sides.
The article the graph comes from gets into deficit of both. The Republican plan adds $36 billion more to the deficit.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 05864.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's only an estimate - whether there would actually be a deficit or not would depend largely on how well the economy performs. If it grows, you can certainly bring in more revenue even at a lower rate. The key is to grow the economy and to cut spending. I don't buy the whole "raise taxes" mantra - I've yet to see a country tax themselves into prosperity. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. ~Thomas Jefferson
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison
The person who is waiting for something to turn up might start with their shirt sleeves. ~Garth Henrichs
Plough deep while sluggards sleep. ~Benjamin Franklin
And this guy was pretty good as well....
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/thomas_sowell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

My Favorite Founding Father

Every government is a parliament of whores. The trouble is, in a democracy, the whores are us. - P J O'Rourke
:D
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

My Favorite which is totally off topic.

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Mercedes-Benz 380SL convertible. :lol:
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
CitadelGrad wrote:
Hell yeah I do. "The Father of Capitalism" arguing a position that you right wing nutjobs think is Marxist. :lol: :ohno:
I'm libertarian, not right-wing. There is nothing wrong with criticizing Adam Smith on matters of principle. John Locke was the father of the Declaration of Independence, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he wrote.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
coastal89 wrote: The government is giving them free cell phones now.

From your safelinkwireless.com page:
There is no "Obama phone" or other newly created federal program to provide free cell phones. As you may know, this is a myth that is now circulating on the Web via email and blog sites. It has been thoroughly debunked by independent groups. (See for example: FactCheck.org at http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which notes: "Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it."
The federal "Lifeline" program was created during the Reagan Administration. Lifeline is a federal program created by the Reagan era Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1984. The program was enhanced under Telecommunications Act of 1996, which was supported on a broadly bipartisan basis in Congress. The FCC’s Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), is designed to ensure that quality telecommunications services are available to low-income customers at just, reasonable, and affordable rates. Lifeline support reduces eligible low-income consumers' monthly charges for basic telephone service.
http://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enrollm ... efits.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fine. If it makes you feel better, we'll take cell phones off the list. Care to address the rest of the list?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
CitadelGrad wrote:
No different from the uninformed radical left wingnuts who think that there is a Constitutional right to vote. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:you right wing nutjobs
Wow, he's gone from sounding like Travis to sounding like Ralph awfully quick. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:you right wing nutjobs
Wow, he's gone from sounding like Travis to sounding like Ralph awfully quick. :lol:
The only way to see how much is to insult China. :roll:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Wow, he's gone from sounding like Travis to sounding like Ralph awfully quick. :lol:
I'm not kidding. Something happened to jelly this off season. Even though we disagreed 99% of the time, he was always pretty balanced in his demeanor. Lately he's gone WAAAYYYYYY off the deep left end and seems to be swimming further away at gold medal pace. :|
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I'm not kidding. Something happened to jelly this off season. Even though we disagreed 99% of the time, he was always pretty balanced in his demeanor. Lately he's gone WAAAYYYYYY off the deep left end and seems to be swimming further away at gold medal pace. :|
if the guy you'd supported so feverantly over the past 2 1/2 years had gone plumb fucking loco, what would YOU do? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: