Politically Motivated Flood Response

Political discussions
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Re: Politically Motivated Flood Response

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Planners are the most overpaid section of the federal government, they dwell in cubicle LaLa land and when the shit actually hits the fan they are nowhere to be seen and totally clueless and worthless if they do show up
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:40 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:05 pm

I didn’t include the last paragraph of the screenshot of the FB post from my earlier post because while it stated funds will go to the Gerton Fire Department & local community, it was to personal Paypal and Venmo. Here is their FB page.
https://facebook.com/100064701510800/

Sorry to hear sounds like you’ve had a rough go of it. Best of luck going forward.

Yes how you’ve laid out is how it should be.
1st help should be family, neighbors, friends, local community. Volunteer & charity.
Then state.
Then fed.

I took a page in my previous response to basically say FEMA is too slow & inefficient for immediate help, and without enough advance notice active military IRF can be there the fastest with the mostest.
Thanks, and I did lay out how it should be. Or as I've seen it. I also think people have too high an expectation of what, and how quickly, significant assistance from FEMA will come. (I do know people who received hotel vouchers and the $750 payment quickly, but that doesn't go very far.) High expectations lead to frustration when they're not met. But the rumors of no FEMA presence or assistance to people is simply wrong.

The idea of quick military deployment for assistance has merit. And there were military personnel here pretty quickly. I can't exactly recall which day, but within the first two or three. Probably National Guard at that time, but both have played a part. I don't know about any legal nuances to a quick mobilization like that, but it's worth exploring.

This thing was/is massive. Flash flooding and landslides are nothing new to the region. But the intensity of the storm and the scope of the area impacted was almost beyond belief. Soaking rain for several days prior set us up for it. Low lying areas were already under water on Wednesday. Then Helene moved in on Friday and took it's time moving through. Hard to prepare for something like that. "The best laid plans of mice and men...."
Or this from Jason Isbell, "You thought God was an architect, now you know; he's something like a pipe bomb ready to blow. And everything you've built that's all for show goes up in flames, in 24 frames."
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Recently, researchers calculated that the eruption of Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apa spewed a staggering 50 million tons (45 million metric tons) of water vapor into Earth's atmosphere, in addition to enormous quantities of ash and volcanic gases. This massive vapor injection increased the amount of moisture in the global stratosphere by about 5%, and could trigger a cycle of stratospheric cooling and surface heating — and these effects may persist for months to come, according to a new study.

Tonga's eruption, which began on Jan. 13 and peaked two days later, was the most powerful witnessed on Earth in decades. The blast extended for 162 miles (260 kilometers) and sent pillars of ash, steam and gas soaring more than 12 miles (20 km) into the air, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
Let me help some of you who keep saying this is due to man made climate change.

Now be honest, how many of you even knew about this event?

https://www.space.com/tonga-eruption-wa ... warm-earth
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

:lol: I'll check in later.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 5:48 am
Recently, researchers calculated that the eruption of Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apa spewed a staggering 50 million tons (45 million metric tons) of water vapor into Earth's atmosphere, in addition to enormous quantities of ash and volcanic gases. This massive vapor injection increased the amount of moisture in the global stratosphere by about 5%, and could trigger a cycle of stratospheric cooling and surface heating — and these effects may persist for months to come, according to a new study.

Tonga's eruption, which began on Jan. 13 and peaked two days later, was the most powerful witnessed on Earth in decades. The blast extended for 162 miles (260 kilometers) and sent pillars of ash, steam and gas soaring more than 12 miles (20 km) into the air, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Are you arguing that climate change is 100% natural? That humankind has no significant impact on our climate?

I would argue that humankind has impacted our climate. We can debate how much and what we should do about it but not that humankind has contributed.

Attempting to reduce the debate to an either or is overly simplistic and intellectually dishonest.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA - putting the Q into qrazy qanon qonspiracy theories since 2015.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:07 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 5:48 am

Are you arguing that climate change is 100% natural? That humankind has no significant impact on our climate?

I would argue that humankind has impacted our climate. We can debate how much and what we should do about it but not that humankind has contributed.

Attempting to reduce the debate to an either or is overly simplistic and intellectually dishonest.
Another logical fallacy. Humans HAVE to be causing climate change because I don't know any better. You just can't help yourself, can you.

"I don't know how much, but it has to". You even admit you can't quantify your statement.

The point, which you always miss as you lack critical thinking skills, is that this one event was massive and dwarfed anything man could have ever done or hoped.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:50 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:07 am

Another logical fallacy. Humans HAVE to be causing climate change because I don't know any better. You just can't help yourself, can you.

"I don't know how much, but it has to". You even admit you can't quantify your statement.

The point, which you always miss as you lack critical thinking skills, is that this one event was massive and dwarfed anything man could have ever done or hoped.
Where in my post did you read that I believe that "Humans HAVE to be causing climate change"? It isn't there because I don't. I do believe that humans are contributing to climate change.

But you continue to be intellectually dishonest by misstating my arguments and attempting to frame the debate as an overly simplistic either or. It isn't that simple, it's a question of how much is humankind contributing and what should we do about it. :coffee:

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:07 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:50 pm

Where in my post did you read that I believe that "Humans HAVE to be causing climate change"? It isn't there because I don't. I do believe that humans are contributing to climate change.

But you continue to be intellectually dishonest by misstating my arguments and attempting to frame the debate as an overly simplistic either or. It isn't that simple, it's a question of how much is humankind contributing and what should we do about it. :coffee:
No. I'm pointing out you keep making unsubstantiated claims. So how much has human kind contributed?

You have no clue, but you still make the claim it has to be something? Then quantify it or STFU.
Bobcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

Wasnt it last week or so he was saying, "you cant manipulate the weather?" Now evidently humans can change the entirety of the earths atmosphere while only populating 17% of the land mass that makes up 1/3 of our entire planet.

Makes sense.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Bobcat wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 9:51 am Wasnt it last week or so he was saying, "you cant manipulate the weather?" Now evidently humans can change the entirety of the earths atmosphere while only populating 17% of the land mass that makes up 1/3 of our entire planet.

Makes sense.
There's zero correlation to how much land mass the planet has, along with what part we inhabit, and the impact on the weather. That's just a nonsensical, and unscientific, post on your part. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Bobcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 9:54 am
Bobcat wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 9:51 am Wasnt it last week or so he was saying, "you cant manipulate the weather?" Now evidently humans can change the entirety of the earths atmosphere while only populating 17% of the land mass that makes up 1/3 of our entire planet.

Makes sense.
There's zero correlation to how much land mass the planet has, along with what part we inhabit, and the impact on the weather. That's just a nonsensical, and unscientific, post on your part. :coffee:
Oh its ok I just pulled it from some whackjob left wing site on climate change. Just another piece of shit thrown to the wall
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:37 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:07 pm Where in my post did you read that I believe that "Humans HAVE to be causing climate change"? It isn't there because I don't. I do believe that humans are contributing to climate change.

No. I'm pointing out you keep making unsubstantiated claims. So how much has human kind contributed?

You have no clue, but you still make the claim it has to be something? Then quantify it or STFU.
Bullshit! You aren't just pointing out that I'm making unsubstantiated claims. You literally posted.

"I don't know how much, but it has to".
You put the "I don't know how much, but it has to" in quotes as if I had typed it. You don't get to define my argument.

FTR I can't quantify it. I'm not an expert and I haven't studied the problem and written papers on it. It's my opinion and it's just as valid as your opinion. I'm sure there have been quite a few studies and papers. I'd do some research and link to them but you'd just use logical fallacies to dismiss them so I'm not going to waste my time.

If it's fair for you to ask me to quantify how much of an impact humankind is having then it's fair of me to ask you to prove that humans are not having a substantial impact. Time to put up or shut up and show us your "proof".