Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: All Things California

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:29 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:18 pm

Its not just ‘a little more for bacon’, but rather huge price increases which could eventually spread nationwide. And newsflash, pork is a lot more than just bacon.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bacon ... uxbndlbing
But I guess its screw all those large amounts of pork consuming lower & middle income folks..
You (not you personally, the understood you) really have to come to the conclusion that these environmental policies, while they mean well, ultimately will lead to massive disruptions and difficulties for businesses and the population at large and therefore aren't well thought out. I'm all for protecting our environment and leaving the world better, cleaner, healthier for the next generation. I understand there's some hell to go through before you get to heaven...but it seems that more times than not politicians seriously lack big picture thinking.

The cascading effect will be that people won't pay $3 more for a pack of bacon. Bacon (and other pork products) don't sell. Distributors stop buy so much. Farmers can't sell to them.

In the end, Farmer's can't bring home the bacon b/c they can't sell it.
They'll pay. They'll have to - the Chinese will buy all the pork we want to sell them.

Get some land, bro. Sooner rather than later. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: All Things Californication

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:29 am
You (not you personally, the understood you) really have to come to the conclusion that these environmental policies, while they mean well, ultimately will lead to massive disruptions and difficulties for businesses and the population at large and therefore aren't well thought out. I'm all for protecting our environment and leaving the world better, cleaner, healthier for the next generation. I understand there's some hell to go through before you get to heaven...but it seems that more times than not politicians seriously lack big picture thinking.

The cascading effect will be that people won't pay $3 more for a pack of bacon. Bacon (and other pork products) don't sell. Distributors stop buy so much. Farmers can't sell to them.

In the end, Farmer's can't bring home the bacon b/c they can't sell it.
They'll pay. They'll have to - the Chinese will buy all the pork we want to sell them.

Or maybe we just need a limited number of hog farms that meet those requirements and can supply California. Californians can pay the extra costs themselves rather than having people in other states underwrite the costs of their programs.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:44 pm

Or maybe we just need a limited number of hog farms that meet those requirements and can supply California. Californians can pay the extra costs themselves rather than having people in other states underwrite the costs of their programs.
Either way they will have to find enough power to keep the refrigerators running. Pork spoils fast.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:21 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:12 pm CA is using the delta variant as a reason to roll out mass in-mail ballots again. Looks like Newsom will retain power via cheating.
Sore loser. Just like the election. :coffee:

:ohno:
Oh, so you think everything was above board, and will be for the recall, with millions of ballots floating around. That's cute.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Yeah, the recall vote won't be rigged at all. :rofl:

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:13 pm
houndawg wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:21 pm

Sore loser. Just like the election. :coffee:

Oh, so you think everything was above board, and will be for the recall, with millions of ballots floating around. That's cute.

You problem is that you don't realize that your opinion is a minority one.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

they can trade for fresh veggies in the winter. :coffee:

Two hogs for a tomato. :kisswink:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:40 pm

California doesn’t have the water to grow a tomato anymore.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:39 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:13 pm

Minority one or not, it's the right one. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:10 pm
houndawg wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:39 pm

Its like Chris Christie said - "...at some point you have to present your evidence or shut up." :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:02 pm
houndawg wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:40 pm

You aren't in a very good spot climate-wise and you'd be smart to haul ass while the haulin is good. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:56 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:02 pm

You aren't in a very good spot climate-wise and you'd be smart to haul ass while the haulin is good. :coffee:
I'm not in California. :dunce: :dunce:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:53 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:10 pm

Its like Chris Christie said - "...at some point you have to present your evidence or shut up." :coffee:
Don't need any. See post 2016 election, or any of the weak ass impeachment narratives thereafter. :coffee:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

The Lodi Post Office (in San Joaquin County) has posted signs enforcing a mask mandate...a mandate ordered by the Chief Health Officer of LOS ANGELES County.

Only in Cali....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:17 am
houndawg wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:56 am

I'm not in California. :dunce: :dunce:
If you're west of the Mississippi your shit is weak unless your up in northen Minnesota or the Great Lakes :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:48 pm

Don't need any. See post 2016 election, or any of the weak ass impeachment narratives thereafter. :coffee:
:coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:53 pm

Either way they will have to find enough power to keep the refrigerators running. Pork spoils fast.
Not if you have a smokehouse. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :nod: :nod: :notworthy: :notworthy:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gavin's actions are recognizing that progressive policies that turned a largely minority populated city into a literal crime infested shithole is not good optics heading into a recall election in a month. :lol:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:07 pm Gavin's actions are recognizing that progressive policies that turned a largely minority populated city into a literal crime infested shithole is not good optics heading into a recall election in a month. :lol:

Well it's a bit late for that realization, isn't it?

There is obviously a happy medium. Full R and D suck. Look at SC - shitty roads/infrastructure/shitty schools (somehow we landed in one of the best school districts, thank gawd). "low" taxes but you're taxed on everything and we have nothing to show for it. But HEY - we've got a deep port, boiled peanuts and are "pro-business."

We don't have homeless shitting all over the sidewalks so I guess that's something.

Want to know a fun fact? I'm not sure if this is still the case and CID might chime in but there was a time when a several cities and counties used to collect homeless people and bus them to Georgia. Lot of homeless people in Savannah come from Charleston, Beaufort/Hilton Head area.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

houndawg wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:37 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:53 pm

Not if you have a smokehouse. :coffee:
Don't you know smoking meat causes cancer? No amount of avocado can overcome that.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:16 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:07 pm Gavin's actions are recognizing that progressive policies that turned a largely minority populated city into a literal crime infested shithole is not good optics heading into a recall election in a month. :lol:

There is obviously a happy medium. Full R and D suck. Look at SC - shitty roads/infrastructure/shitty schools (somehow we landed in one of the best school districts, thank gawd). "low" taxes but you're taxed on everything and we have nothing to show for it. But HEY - we've got a deep port, boiled peanuts and are "pro-business."

We don't have homeless shitting all over the sidewalks so I guess that's something.

Want to know a fun fact? I'm not sure if this is still the case and CID might chime in but there was a time when a several cities and counties used to collect homeless people and bus them to Georgia. Lot of homeless people in Savannah come from Charleston, Beaufort/Hilton Head area.
Then why aren’t you living across the state line in NC, since that’s where you work? Let me guess, because SC has lower taxes?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:27 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:16 am

Then why aren’t you living across the state line in NC, since that’s where you work? Let me guess, because SC has lower taxes?
Not exactly - for all it's problems, SC is home. I love the state but let's not pretend that Republicans (or Democrats for that matter) are the super duper best and only do the super duper best. Let's not be naïve. Both have good and bad policies.

The main reason is that housing is cheaper and the school district in SC is actually better than the one in the Peoples Republic of North Carolina. My house in the "affordable" areas of Charlotte would be nearly double the price - it's absurd.

Your guess is wrong...but valid.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:36 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:27 am
Not exactly - for all it's problems, SC is home. I love the state but let's not pretend that Republicans (or Democrats for that matter) are the super duper best and only do the super duper best. Let's not be naïve. Both have good and bad policies.

The main reason is that housing is cheaper and the school district in SC is actually better than the one in the Peoples Republic of North Carolina. My house in the "affordable" areas of Charlotte would be nearly double the price - it's absurd.

Ok, I should have said lower cost of living instead of lower taxes (which usually plays a part).

I know that’s common around state border areas that people will work in one/live in the other due to lower cost of living, often in part due to lower taxes.

Tax Foundation per capaita doesn’t show a yuge diff between NC (32nd) and SC (40th).
https://taxfoundation.org/publications/ ... %20rows%20
I realize it can vary a lot beyween localities within a state..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:36 am

Ok, I should have said lower cost of living instead of lower taxes (which usually plays a part).

I know that’s common around state border areas that people will work in one/live in the other due to lower cost of living, often in part due to lower taxes.

Tax Foundation per capaita doesn’t show a yuge diff between NC (32nd) and SC (40th).
https://taxfoundation.org/publications/ ... %20rows%20
I realize it can vary a lot beyween localities within a state..
Ibanez, who taxes your income?

Oregon taxes employees for income earned while in Oregon so if you work in Oregon but live in Washington (no income taxes) you pay Oregon income taxes. My understanding is that it is based off of where you are physically working so If you worked from home in Washington during the pandemic you would avoid those income taxes despite your employer being located in Oregon.

When I was in Illinois, we had an employee who lived in Indiana and we deducted Indiana income taxes from their pay.

I'm curious how other states with cross-border employment handle it.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm