Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Mythology of Thomas Sowell

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:15 am
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:07 am

Both parties use it as a funding justification for other government spending in lieu of raising taxes or cutting spending.
I'm confused. How are they doing that? Do you have examples?

The argument that the government has "raided" SS and not paid it back is false if that's where you're going ...
The Fallacy of the "Government Raid" on Social Security
I've written about Social Security's short- and long-term outlook for the better part of a decade now, and one consistent complaint I encounter is the idea that Congress raided Social Security. More specifically, a notable percentage of Americans believe that lawmakers threw the program's extra cash into the general fund and paid for fruitless wars with this cash, and now the program is "screwed" because politicians didn't put the money back.
Here's the truth: Social Security's asset reserves have been borrowed by the federal government, but this borrowing is required by law. The Social Security Administration invests the program's asset reserves into special-issue bonds and, to a lesser extent, certificates of indebtedness. In turn, the federal government utilizes this cash to fund all types of budget line items. This might include defense spending, but it may also include social programs, education, and healthcare. Money borrowed from Social Security isn't earmarked for any federal spending program, in particular, so suggesting that the borrowing was done solely to fund wars isn't correct.

In addition, what most folks are probably overlooking is that Social Security is being paid interest on what it's lent to Congress. The combination of various maturities and yields on its special-issue bonds worked out to an average interest rate of 2.844% at the end of April. In 2018, interest income led to just over $83 billion in revenue collection, or a little more than 8% of all the money Social Security collected last year.
Some fair points but is it not all still an accounting shell game, based on our seemingly unending ability to defer funding through debt increases and how we prioritize spending.

When SS was implemented 50% of the elderly were below the poverty line. Today’s it’s around 10%. And that money itself increases GDP. Seems fairly successful given the alternatives. You’ll need to work into your 80’s grandma in order stay above the poverty line. Or move in with your children as skilled nursing care is around $12,000/month at least until you sell the family home you were going to leave your kids.
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:48 am

The argument that the government has "raided" SS and not paid it back is false if that's where you're going ...

Some fair points but is it not all still an accounting shell game, based on our seemingly unending ability to defer funding through debt increases and how we prioritize spending.

When SS was implemented 50% of the elderly were below the poverty line. Today’s it’s around 10%. And that money itself increases GDP. Seems fairly successful given the alternatives. You’ll need to work into your 80’s grandma in order stay above the poverty line. Or move in with your children as skilled nursing care is around $12,000/month at least until you sell the family home you were going to leave your kids.
Do things my way you won’t even need Soc Sec ….

Work
Sacrifice
Save
Fiscal conservative
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SS is in trouble because it's essentially a ponzi scheme. The interest earned on the bonds bought with participants' contributions isn't enough to cover the payments that will be made to the participants (even with people dying before they collect) so the program is dependent on having more people working and paying into the sytem than are retired and collecting from it. All of the Boomers retiring is stressing the system and it's only getting worse.

Benefits paid need to match what is paid in plus interest. I personally would love it if they would give me the option to invest my deposits as I saw fit and my benefits would be higher or lower as a result of my investment choices. They should also make them inheritable. It's bullshit that I could pay into the program for 40+ years, die before I retire and the money goes poof.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA - putting the Q into qrazy qanon qonspiracy theories since 2015.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:24 am

SS is in trouble because it's essentially a ponzi scheme. The interest earned on the bonds bought with participants' contributions isn't enough to cover the payments that will be made to the participants (even with people dying before they collect) so the program is dependent on having more people working and paying into the sytem than are retired and collecting from it. All of the Boomers retiring is stressing the system and it's only getting worse.

Benefits paid need to match what is paid in plus interest. I personally would love it if they would give me the option to invest my deposits as I saw fit and my benefits would be higher or lower as a result of my investment choices. They should also make them inheritable. It's bullshit that I could pay into the program for 40+ years, die before I retire and the money goes poof.
Hey we agree on something.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Why are we glorifying racist commentary from Klam? Like he'd know his ass from a hole in the ground in regards to anything Sowell is an expert in.

Klam. Dem plantation negro. Gotta keep 'em in check.

Disgusting.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote:Why are we glorifying racist commentary from Klam? Like he'd know his ass from a hole in the ground in regards to anything Sowell is an expert in.

Disgusting.
What is sowell an expert in?

Oversimplifying economics to fool the uninformed? Mixing enough truth in with the bullshit to fool the gullible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:22 pm
SeattleGriz wrote:Why are we glorifying racist commentary from Klam? Like he'd know his ass from a hole in the ground in regards to anything Sowell is an expert in.

Disgusting.

Oversimplifying economics to fool the uninformed? Mixing enough truth in with the bullshit to fool the gullible?

Oh, here we go. Uni St Behar is going to finally let loose and inform us all of his superior knowledge over Sowell and Sowell's greatest errors.

I'm all yours Uni St Behar. Take it away. I'm ready to be enlightened.

ChatGPT alert.

Uni St Behar: Assistant Dem plantation negro.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:36 pm Why are we glorifying racist commentary from Klam? Like he'd know his ass from a hole in the ground in regards to anything Sowell is an expert in.

Disgusting.
When trolls get bored, they attempt crawl out from under the bridge and arguing with nothing of substance.

Seattle has so much to do in the summer. The waterfront, the OP, the North Cascades, etc. If you’re this bored on a Sunday, maybe find a new hobby? I hear bocce ball is a gas.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:50 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:36 pm Why are we glorifying racist commentary from Klam? Like he'd know his ass from a hole in the ground in regards to anything Sowell is an expert in.

Disgusting.
When trolls get bored, they attempt crawl out from under the bridge and arguing with nothing of substance.

Seattle has so much to do in the summer. The waterfront, the OP, the North Cascades, etc. If you’re this bored on a Sunday, maybe find a new hobby? I hear bocce ball is a gas.
Racist. You give NO reason why Sowell is "inferior" to your Rec Mgmt studies. Fucking kidding me.

You've got nothing, so you resort to bullshit. You just can't handle that you are finally asked to provide some data...and you can't. POS racist.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:53 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:50 pm

Racist. You give NO reason why Sowell is "inferior" to your Rec Mgmt studies. Fucking kidding me.

You've got nothing, so you resort to bullshit. You just can't handle that you are finally asked to provide some data...and you can't. POS racist.
Disc golf is fun and surprisingly challenging too. Salmon are running as well. Charter a trip and get on some kings!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:57 pm

Disc golf is fun and surprisingly challenging too. Salmon are running as well. Charter a trip and get on some kings!
Racist deflection.

I got backyard wonder.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:03 pm

Racist deflection.

I got backyard wonder.

Good!

I hope it softens your dark heart.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:03 pm

Racist deflection.

I got backyard wonder.

so shrill...... :ohno: I bet it was your neighbor who put up the frence. :coffee:
You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by c squared. Then you energy.

"I really love America. I just don't know how to get there anymore."John Prine
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:30 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:24 am

Thinking the same and no “but Trump”

Nice job 88
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

So basically, you’re saying the whole program needs to be re-restructured to fit the changing demographics of our country?

When the democratic party party encourages people not to work…. guess what

nobody is contributing to Social Security

They answer from Democrats
just keep creating fake money that doesn’t exist. It will all be OK.

So dumb
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:39 am

So basically, you’re saying the whole program needs to be re-restructured to fit the changing demographics of our country?

When the democratic party party encourages people not to work…. guess what

nobody is contributing to Social Security

They answer from Democrats
just keep creating fake money that doesn’t exist. It will all be OK.

So dumb
Yes it needs to be restructured. But it’s still been wildly successful. Encouraging people not to work in a system based on payroll taxes wouldn’t make sense would it?

Kind of like this entire post. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:34 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:30 pm
Thinking the same and no “but Trump”

Nice job 88
That's because I'm a fiscal conservative not a cultural conservative. I believe in real freedom.

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Disgusting.

You don’t have to worry about Sowell, he’s on the 4th Estates black list simply for telling the brutal truth.

His views should be heard by everyone in school
Bobcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

Exactly, he is real world truth not indoctrination center truth
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:15 am

You don’t have to worry about Sowell, he’s on the 4th Estates black list simply for telling the brutal truth.

sowell is to economics what a microwave burrito bought at a gas station convenience store at 2:00 am is to fine dining. :D

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:22 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:15 am

sowell is to economics what a microwave burrito bought at a gas station convenience store at 2:00 am is to fine dining. :D
Economist ?

His brilliance on such a wide range of subjects made me forget that he was, haven’t read any of it
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Piece of shit Klam. Plantation negro. Just like the white dude wearing high tops and lecturing everyone about blacks. Fucks sake.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Here’s a brief review of Sowell’s work. While he can be congratulated for working hard in his younger years his assumptions follow or at least echo the socioeconomic philosophy of William F Buckley Jr and Milton Friedman. And of course there’s quite a bit of Ayn Rand’s objectivism sprinkled into all of this for good measure.

This philosophy has been empirically rebuked. (For those still willing to follow, empirically is defined as: by means of observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic. Both in the US through Reaganomics and Alan Greenspan’s policies as Fed chairman (He later admitted he never saw the Great Recession coming :lol: as well as internationally.

Let’s take a few examples. First, an argument that recurs in Sowell’s work is that minimum wages will increase unemployment. He deploys it as a classic tale of do-gooders hurting the very people they’re trying to help by ignoring Facts and Logic. The social justice types think they can help the poor by interfering in the free market, substituting their personal judgments about what people ought to be paid for the market’s judgment. But these meddlers are only making things worse. In Social Justice Fallacies, Sowell writes:
“Minimum wage laws are among the many government policies widely believed to benefit the poor, by preventing them from making decisions for themselves that surrogate decision-makers regard as being not as good as what the surrogates can impose through the power of government. Traditional basic economics, however, says that people tend to purchase less at a higher price. If so, then employers…tend to hire less labor at a higher price, imposed by minimum wage laws, than they would hire at a lower price, based on supply and demand. Here the unsaleable surplus is called unemployment.”

Here we can see why many of Sowell’s fellow economists don’t pay much attention to his work. “Traditional basic economics” may predict that minimum wages will produce unemployment, but a giant mountain of empirical evidence has shown that the simplistic view Sowell advances here is inconsistent with reality. In fact, the predicted negative effects of minimum wage increases have turned out to be minimal. As economist Noah Smith writes, “many [studies] actually conclude that higher minimum wages create jobs.”
The simplistic Sowell view would be that if something costs more, people tend to buy less of it. But there are lots of reasons why raising the minimum wage might not cause employers to purchase less labor overall. Does Sowell consider those reasons? He does not. Does he grapple with any of the empirical literature in his own field that challenges his view? No, he deals with none of it. He simply acts as if none of it exists. And then he has the audacity to grouse about pointy-headed intellectuals ignoring inconvenient facts!

Does Sowell have any discussion of empirical observations on minimum wages and unemployment? Yes, actually. He has a paragraph of observations about the data from different countries:

“Anyone seriously interested in facts about the effects of minimum wage laws on employment can find such facts in innumerable examples from countries around the world, and in different periods of history. Most modern, industrial countries have minimum wage laws, but some do not, so their unemployment levels can be compared to the unemployment levels in other countries. It was news in 2003 when The Economist magazine reported that Switzerland’s unemployment rate ‘neared a five-year high of 3.9% in February.’ Switzerland had no minimum wage law. The city-state of Singapore has also been without a minimum wage law, and its unemployment rate has been as low as 2.1 percent in 2013. Back in 1991, when Hong Kong was still a British colony, it too had no minimum wage law, and its unemployment rate was under 2 percent. The last American administration without a national minimum wage law was the Coolidge administration in the 1920s. In President Coolidge’s last four years in office, the annual unemployment rate ranged from a high of 4.2 percent to a low of 1.8 percent.”

I don’t know if you realize quite how atrocious this paragraph is. Does Sowell give any criteria for why he chose these particular countries? Has he taken a random sample, or just a few anecdotes? How has he controlled for other factors that might affect unemployment rates? How does he know that unemployment was under 2 percent in Hong Kong in 1991 because of its lack of a minimum wage law, and not for other reasons? (Also, as far as I can tell, his statement about when America was last without a “national minimum wage law” is just flat wrong. Minimum wages were introduced under the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. After Coolidge left office and Hoover took over, the Great Depression happened, and unemployment rose to about 25 percent, before minimum wages were introduced.1 )
Sowell does give one more example to substantiate his claims about minimum wages. He says that the increase in unemployment for Black teenagers between 1950 and 1970 was clearly the result of the introduction of minimum wage laws, and that we know this because we have eliminated other possible explanations:

“The usual explanations of high unemployment among black teenagers—inexperience, lack of skills, racism—cannot explain their rising unemployment, since all these things were worse during the earlier period when black teenage unemployment was much lower…It was only after a series of minimum wage escalations began that black male teenage unemployment not only skyrocketed, but became more than double the unemployment rates among white male teenagers. (Basic Economics, 159) “

Now, I don’t know much about Black teenage unemployment between 1950 and 1970, but I know how to do basic research, and it didn’t take me long to discover that Sowell had, once again, simply excluded evidence and scholarship that didn’t fit with his conclusions. For instance, a 1991 National Bureau of Economic Research paper (uncited by Sowell) provides evidence that much of the decline in Black teenage labor force participation occurred because (1) agriculture in the South was becoming mechanized, eliminating jobs that Black teens would have had and (2) “each successive generation of Southern Black males was more likely to be in school between the ages of 16 and 19 than out of school and in the labor force.” “The minimum wage,” the authors say, “cannot possibly explain the pre-1930 decline in [labor force] participation because minimum wage legislation was enacted in 1938.” When we look beyond 1950 to 1970, we see other facts that call into question the simple narrative. I don’t cite this to resolve the question of what caused Black teenage labor force participation to decline during a certain historical period (like I said, I’m not an expert, and minimum wages could well have had an effect during the years Sowell cites), but rather to show that Sowell is simply choosing to ignore any evidence that contradicts his theory.

Let us turn to other issues. This dishonesty, burying all the serious academic work that contradicts conclusions favored by free market fundamentalists, presenting only the evidence that supports those conclusions, and then accusing Intellectuals of ignoring the facts, is characteristic of Sowell’s writing.

This kind of dishonest presentation exists throughout Sowell’s recent Charter Schools and Their Enemies. Sowell’s story is that charter schools are obviously better than traditional public schools, that the “enemies” of charter schools have been hiding this fact, and that these “enemies” are self-interested and do not care about what is best for children. The empirical centerpiece of Sowell’s book is a series of comparisons he offers between performance by New York City charter schools versus New York City public schools. Sowell says that to achieve an accurate comparison, he chose charter schools that are housed within the same complex of buildings as their public school counterparts. He describes his method:

“Selecting which charter schools to examine in detail by some principle, as distinguished from arbitrary cherry-picking, can be done in a number of ways. The way chosen here is to examine those particular charter school networks with multiple schools having classes in the largest number of buildings in New York City where they are housed with one or more traditional public schools whose grade levels coincide. Here the sample chosen for detailed study in Chapter 2 are all charter school networks with students in five or more buildings in New York City that they share with traditional public schools having students at the same grade levels.”

He then gives many charts that look like this:

As you can see, he’s showing here that Achievement First charter schools sharing facilities with public schools tend to have superior results on English tests. I don’t doubt that the data he’s presenting here are accurate.

But think about how appalling this is as social science. When we see results like this, we have to ask ourselves a bunch of important questions about factors that could be driving the difference, so that we know we’re coming to accurate conclusions. For instance, are the two populations of students comparable? Sowell says that the racial demographics between the students in the charter schools and the students in the public schools are similar. But are the parents similar? Or do charter schools attract students whose parents are particularly invested in their success? Does the public school have more students with learning disabilities than the charter school? Charter schools are known for trying to attract top-performing students, and we know that “across the United States, charters aggressively screen student applicants, assessing their academic records, parental support, disciplinary history, motivation, special needs and even their citizenship, sometimes in violation of state and federal law.” Could the effects Sowell observes be a product of selection bias?

Astonishingly, Sowell does not take these problems seriously, even though they are known to make it difficult to study the effectiveness of charter schools.2 Instead, having shown only that test results are different, he moves on to the question of why there is so much hostility to charter schools. (You will not be surprised that the self-interest of teachers’ unions is a big part of his story, though he’s uninterested in how the self-interest of charter operators might be a corrupting influence. An economist who is heavily concerned with the self-serving incentives of teachers should also pay equal attention to the bad incentives of those pushing to privatize schools.)

If you’re going to claim that charter schools are better than public schools, there is evidence you can use to make that claim. (Here, for instance, is a 2016 meta-analysis of existing studies, finding that charter schools appear to slightly outperform public schools in math, though not in reading. The reasons for this are contested.) What you cannot do, if you’re going to claim to be doing social science, is ignore basic questions about research design like “How do you know the students in both groups are comparable?” That’s what you do when you’re an idealogue rather than a serious scholar.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/news/202 ... opagandist

:ugeek:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Disc golf is fun and surprisingly challenging too.Salmon are running as well. Charter a trip and get on some kings!
Settle in by the fire with some hot chocolate and a copy of Project 2025...
You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by c squared. Then you energy.

"I really love America. I just don't know how to get there anymore."John Prine
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:06 am Piece of shit Klam. Plantation negro. Just like the white dude wearing high tops and lecturing everyone about blacks. Fucks sake.
Thank you!

So does this mean when I criticize neoliberals like Reagan or Clinton, or you, I’m racist towards white people?