Huckleberry Hound Refuses to Go Away....

Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Huckleberry Hound Refuses to Go Away....

Post by AZGrizFan »

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200802 ... FJ0O0.html
Against overwhelming odds, Mike Huckabee keeps brushing off calls to drop his presidential bid for the good of the Republican Party. The former Arkansas governor and ordained Baptist minister is following in the footsteps of past spoilers such as Republican Ronald Reagan in 1976 and Democratic Sen. Edward M. Kennedy in 1980, who both pressed uphill primary challenges to the limits.

I believe the longer he stays in, the more it hurts McCain's chances in the long run. If McCain ends up losing this, I place the blame squarely on Huck Finn's shoulders. At least Romney had the good sense to get the f&ck out of the way and let McCain get on with it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Huckleberry Hound Refuses to Go Away....

Post by AZGrizFan »

Some GOP sages suggest it's hard to quit while you're still winning races, as Huckabee is doing, despite the mathematical reality of the delegate count. But then Huckabee likes to brag that he "didn't major in math, I majored in miracles," and he asserted anew on Monday his intention to stay in the race.
What a maroon. :roll: :roll: :roll:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:http://apnews.excite.com/article/200802 ... FJ0O0.html
Against overwhelming odds, Mike Huckabee keeps brushing off calls to drop his presidential bid for the good of the Republican Party. The former Arkansas governor and ordained Baptist minister is following in the footsteps of past spoilers such as Republican Ronald Reagan in 1976 and Democratic Sen. Edward M. Kennedy in 1980, who both pressed uphill primary challenges to the limits.

I believe the longer he stays in, the more it hurts McCain's chances in the long run. If McCain ends up losing this, I place the blame squarely on Huck Finn's shoulders. At least Romney had the good sense to get the f&ck out of the way and let McCain get on with it.
If McCain has any hope of winning, he needs to run far, far away from this fruitcake.

Statements like this that the Huckster just made at Liberty Univ should concern all patriotic Americans:
Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee has won electoral contests by focusing his pitch to religious conservatives around the country. And in a Sunday visit to the church of the deceased Rev. Jerry Falwell, Huckabee threw that base some more red meat.

"We really don’t need a lot of law if we’re people of morality," Huckabee said at the Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Virginia, according to a report in the Lynchburg News Advance. "There are only 10 basic laws that we need … the reason that the law is more complicated is because we try to find clever ways around those 10."

Additional reports at CBS News showed Huckabee taking his statement a step farther.

"I hope you know Jesus Christ personally…because the level to which he rules you and governs you, you need less and less of man’s law to tell you how to live and that is what our Founding Fathers understood and we must understand," he preached.
thus advocating the overthrow of the US as we know it, replacing with an Old Testament theocracy. The First Amendment directly counters the first four commandments, and actually, they are not laws - only a few (against murder, adultery, coveting) could be directly correlated to any law.
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Huckabee has to realize that is is mathematically impossible to win. McCain has 3 times the number of delegates. Hopefully the contests today, will open huck's eyes.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

And thus, I'm torn...do I vote in the Democratic primary (anti-Clinton vote)...

Or do I vote in the republican Primary (anti-huckabee vote)...

Decisions, decisions...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote:And thus, I'm torn...do I vote in the Democratic primary (anti-Clinton vote)...

Decisions, decisions...

I battled with the same problem. I'll vote for Obama if he gets the nom.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

MarkCCU wrote:Huckabee has to realize that is is mathematically impossible to win. McCain has 3 times the number of delegates. Hopefully the contests today, will open huck's eyes.
Have you actually bothered to do the math, Mark?

Sure, it's not likely. According to one guy at CBS, Huckabee would have to win every remaining winner-take-all primary and caucus AND every proportional one with an 85-15 margin. I'll grant you not likely. But impossible? No way.

BTW, the same guy did a count with Huckabee winning everything at just over 50%. In that scenario, the race would be decided at the Convention. Again, not likely, but it's irresponsible at best to say that's it's mathematically impossible, Mark.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote:
MarkCCU wrote:Huckabee has to realize that is is mathematically impossible to win. McCain has 3 times the number of delegates. Hopefully the contests today, will open huck's eyes.
Have you actually bothered to do the math, Mark?

Sure, it's not likely. According to one guy at CBS, Huckabee would have to win every remaining winner-take-all primary and caucus AND every proportional one with an 85-15 margin. I'll grant you not likely. But impossible? No way.

BTW, the same guy did a count with Huckabee winning everything at just over 50%. In that scenario, the race would be decided at the Convention. Again, not likely, but it's irresponsible at best to say that's it's mathematically impossible, Mark.
My point (and I think Mark's point) is that while it may not be mathematically IMPOSSIBLE, the odds are so astronomical that, at this point, all Huckleberry is doing is damaging the chances of McCain winning the general election. While I despised a lot of things about Romney, at least he had the good sense to get the f7ck out of the way when he knew there was a better chance of him winning the lottery than winning the Rep party nomination for President. Every day Huckleberry hangs around more and more damage is done to McCain's campaign. The only thing I can hope is that, after today, the mathematical calculation WILL be impossible. Then, if he hangs around, it's purely out of spite. :evil: :evil: :evil:
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

Col Hogan wrote:And thus, I'm torn...do I vote in the Democratic primary (anti-Clinton vote)...

Decisions, decisions...
can't decide? Vote for BigApp! Image
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNC BEARS
A.K.A.: OB55

Post by Wedgebuster »

Huckleberry hound is a bozo, and of no help to any campaign.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

And the Huckster rolls on
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SuperHornet wrote: Have you actually bothered to do the math, Mark?

My point (and I think Mark's point) is that while it may not be mathematically IMPOSSIBLE, the odds are so astronomical that, at this point, all Huckleberry is doing is damaging the chances of McCain winning the general election. While I despised a lot of things about Romney, at least he had the good sense to get the f7ck out of the way when he knew there was a better chance of him winning the lottery than winning the Rep party nomination for President. Every day Huckleberry hangs around more and more damage is done to McCain's campaign. The only thing I can hope is that, after today, the mathematical calculation WILL be impossible. Then, if he hangs around, it's purely out of spite. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Exactly!

Super Hornet, why the hostility towards me?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I like Huckabee but he wants a Theocracy.(Super Hornet, i know he hasn't said that but he has said he'd want to put God in the governmnet in more places, etc....).

The Seperation of Church and State is very important to the Republic we call the USA.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Why the continued reference to a non-existent doctrine, Mark? There is ZERO in the Constitution about a separation between church and state. That merely comes from one line from a letter taken WAY out of context.

All we conservatives care about is the presence of Godly ideas in politics, not the enforcement of one faith group over another.

BTW, not all conservatives are voting Huckabee. I'm about as conservative as they come, yet I'd take McCain over Huckabee any day of the week because of all candidates in this campaign, only McCain is going to do anything to support the world's best Navy. I really wish the stinking media would quit this whitewashing of us as ALL for Huckabee. Now, I'd be happy with either. But McCain comes before Huckabee on MY list.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote:Why the continued reference to a non-existent doctrine, Mark? There is ZERO in the Constitution about a separation between church and state. That merely comes from one line from a letter taken WAY out of context.

All we conservatives care about is the presence of Godly ideas in politics, not the enforcement of one faith group over another.

BTW, not all conservatives are voting Huckabee. I'm about as conservative as they come, yet I'd take McCain over Huckabee any day of the week because of all candidates in this campaign, only McCain is going to do anything to support the world's best Navy. I really wish the stinking media would quit this whitewashing of us as ALL for Huckabee. Now, I'd be happy with either. But McCain comes before Huckabee on MY list.
And there is nothing in the Constitution ABOUT God either...
There is the part in the Bill of Rights guaranteeing freedom of, and from religion. The "letter out of context" I think you are refering to is actually a treaty.

It is very clear that the Founding Fathers did not want an overly religious influence on the new Republic. People are free to be religious, but they did not want ANY religion guiding public policy, which is 100% correct.

Public Policy should be guided on what is best for the citizens of the United States.

God, The Bible, or "Godly Ideas", whatever that means, have no business influencing law, or public policy. If the best course for our country in a particular area happens to agree with a "Godly Idea", then great, it should not be reject on that account, either.

Of course, if you are dead set on Godly Ideas, you must first determine whose Godly Ideas you are going to use, and whose interpretation of such is best.
mass fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: umass

Post by mass fan »

Like Montana did with Wofford?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mass fan wrote:Like Montana did with Wofford?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

THAT'S the best you've got? 8-)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SuperHornet wrote:Why the continued reference to a non-existent doctrine, Mark? There is ZERO in the Constitution about a separation between church and state. That merely comes from one line from a letter taken WAY out of context.

I didn't say that Seperation of Church and State was a doctrine. Once again, you're reading what you want, not what's typed. Oh, because it's capitilized? It's a basic idea that drew people to this country and that we have today.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

MarkCCU wrote:

I didn't say that Seperation of Church and State was a doctrine. Once again, you're reading what you want, not what's typed. Oh, because it's capitilized? It's a basic idea that drew people to this country and that we have today.

The only talk of religion, at length, in the Constitution is the 1st Amendment. Other than that, the most blatant reference to faith is in the Declaration of Independence:

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, —

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
mass fan
Level1
Level1

Post by mass fan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
mass fan wrote:Like Montana did with Wofford?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I can't think straight with that avatar in the corner. :lol:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

mass fan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I can't think straight with that avatar in the corner. :lol:
I have similar problems (thinking straight, that is). :P
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:
mass fan wrote: I can't think straight with that avatar in the corner. :lol:
I have similar problems (thinking straight, that is). :P
I'm trying to determine whether mass fan likes MY avatar or YOURS, jon?
mass fan
Level1
Level1

Post by mass fan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote: I have similar problems (thinking straight, that is). :P
I'm trying to determine whether mass fan likes MY avatar or YOURS, jon?
No i don't like jons, it makes me think this is a gay site. :?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mass fan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: I'm trying to determine whether mass fan likes MY avatar or YOURS, jon?
No i don't like jons, it makes me think this is a gay site. :?
Not that there's anything WRONG with that.... :shock:
mass fan
Level1
Level1

Post by mass fan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
mass fan wrote: No i don't like jons, it makes me think this is a gay site. :?
Not that there's anything WRONG with that.... :shock:
say's you. :o