A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

The Race to Populism

Post by kalm »

And the Republicans are winning:
..Op-Ed Columnist
Palin’s Cunning Sleight of Hand
By FRANK RICH
Published: February 13, 2010

That Republican leaders can pass off deceptive faux-populism as “pitch-perfect populism” is in part a testament to the blinding intensity of the economic anger and anxiety roiling the country. It also shows the power of an incessant bumper-sticker fiction to take root when ineffectually challenged — and, most crucially, the inability of Democrats to make a persuasive case that they offer anything better.

The Obama White House remains its own worst enemy. No sooner did Palin’s Tea Party speech end than we learned of the president’s tone-deaf interview expressing admiration for “very savvy businessmen” like Lloyd Blankfein of Goldman Sachs. With that single remark, Obama ingeniously identified himself with the most despised aspects of both Washington and Wall Street — the bailout and the bonuses. He still doesn’t understand that to most Americans, Blankfein is a savvy businessman only in the outrageous sense that he managed to grab his bonus some 17 months after the taxpayers had the good grace to save him from going out of business altogether.

Instead of praising bailed-out bankers, the president might have more profitably instructed his press secretary to drop the lame Palin jokes and dismantle the disinformation campaign her speech delivered to a national audience. Palin, unlike Obama, put herself on the side of the angels, railing against Wall Street’s bonuses and bailout, even though she and John McCain had supported TARP during the campaign. Palin also bragged that she had “joined with other conservative governors” in “rejecting some” stimulus dollars when in reality she rejected only a symbolic 3 percent of those dollars — soon to be overruled by the Alaskan Legislature, which took every last buck.

This disingenuousness is old hat for Palin, who hired lobbyists to pursue $27 million in earmarks while serving as mayor of the town of Wasilla (pop. 6,700) and loudly defended her state’s “bridge to nowhere” until her politically opportunistic flip-flop. What’s new is the extent to which her test-marketed dishonesty has now become the template for her peers in the G.O.P. “populist” putsch. Adopting her example — while unencumbered by her political baggage — the party is exploiting the Tea Party movement to rebrand itself as un-Washington while quietly conducting business as usual in the capital.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/opini ... yt&emc=rss
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: The Race to Populism

Post by Ivytalk »

Sounds like old Frank is jealous because his fellow Harvardian Blankfein makes more money than he does. Actually, I knew Lloyd slightly in college, and his is a true rags-to-riches story.

That said, I am troubled by Palin's flip-flop on earmarks. Few states have benefited more than Alaska from federal largesse. I continue to believe that she'll flame out before 2012.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:Sounds like old Frank is jealous because his fellow Harvardian Blankfein makes more money than he does. Actually, I knew Lloyd slightly in college, and his is a true rags-to-riches story.

That said, I am troubled by Palin's flip-flop on earmarks. Few states have benefited more than Alaska from federal largesse. I continue to believe that she'll flame out before 2012.
Yeah we should all be jealous: :thumb:
The Greatest Non-Apology of All Time

“While we regret that we participated in the market euphoria and failed to raise a responsible voice, we are proud of the way our firm managed the risk it assumed on behalf of our client before and during the financial crisis,” he said.

via Goldman Regrets ‘Market Euphoria’ That Led to Crisis – DealBook Blog – NYTimes.com.

Anyone else out there find himself doubled over laughing after reading Goldman, Sachs chief Lloyd Blankfein’s “apology” for his bank’s behavior leading up to the financial crisis? Has an act of contrition ever in history been more worthless and insincere? Even Gary Ridgway did a better job of sounding genuinely sorry at his sentencing hearing — and he was a guy who had sex with dead prostitutes because it was cheaper than paying live ones.

Looking at Blankfein’s one-sentence apology, I’m struck in particular by a couple of phrases:

While we regret that we participated in the market euphoria…

Really, Lloyd? You “participated” in the market euphoria? You didn’t, I don’t know, cause the market euphoria? By almost any measurement, Goldman was a central, leading player in the subprime housing bubble story. Just yesterday I was talking to Guy Cecala at Inside Mortgage Finance, the trade publication that tracks statistics in the mortgage lending industry. He said that at the height of the boom, in 2006, Goldman Sachs underwrote $76.5 billion in mortgage-backed securities, or 7% of the entire market. Of that $76.5 billion, $29.3 billion was subprime, which is bad enough — but another $29.8 billion was what’s called “Alt-A” paper. Alt-A mortgages are characterized, mainly, by crappy documentation and lack of equity: no income verification, no asset verification, little-to-no cash down. So while “only” 38% of the mortgage-backed securities Goldman underwrote were subprime, more than three-fourths of their securities were what is called “non-prime,” ie either subprime or Alt-A. “There’s a lot of crap in there too,” says Cecala.

Let’s be clear about what that meant. These crap/sham mortgages, a lot of them adjustable-rate deals with teaser rates that featured sudden rate hikes two or three years after closing, they would never have been possible had not someone devised a method for selling them off to secondary buyers. No local bank is going to keep millions of dollars worth of Alt-A mortgages on its books, because no sensible company lends out money to very risky customers and actually keeps those loans on its balance sheet.

So this system depended almost entirely on banks like Goldman finding ways to securitize these instruments, ie chop the mortgages up into little bits, repackage them as mortgage-backed securities like CDOs and CMOs, and sell them to unsuspecting customers on the secondary market, most of them large institutional buyers like pensions and insurance companies and workers’ unions, many of them foreigners. Most of those customers were snookered into buying this stuff because they had no idea what it was: in the case of pensions and unions particularly, a lot of these customers only bought this crap because the peculiar alchemy banks like Goldman used in devising their mortgage-backed securities made radioactive mortgages look like AAA-rated investments. (Or at least they were given these ratings by Moody’s and Standard and Poor’s, ratings agencies that were financially dependent upon the very banks they were supposed to be rating — but that’s another story).

So some Dutch teachers’ union that a year before was buying ultra-safe U.S. Treasury bonds in 2006 runs into a Goldman salesman who offers them a different, “just as safe” AAA-rated investment that, at the moment anyway, just happens to be earning a much higher return than treasuries. Next thing you know, a bunch of teachers in Holland are betting their retirement nest eggs on a bunch of meth addicted “homeowners” in Texas and Arizona.

This isn’t really commerce, but much more like organized crime: it was a gigantic fraud perpetrated on the economy that wouldn’t have been possible without accomplices in the ratings agencies and regulators willing to turn a blind eye. Imagine a meat company that bred ten billion rats, fattened them on trash and sewage, ground their bodies into chuck, and then sold it all as grade-A ground beef to McDonald’s and Burger King, right under the noses of the USDA: this is exactly the same thing, only with debt instead of food. We’re eating it, they’re counting the money.
http://trueslant.com/matttaibbi/2009/06 ... -all-time/
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:Sounds like old Frank is jealous because his fellow Harvardian Blankfein makes more money than he does. Actually, I knew Lloyd slightly in college, and his is a true rags-to-riches story.

I agree. I see no way that someone with as many political missteps and changes in direction like her can win a party nomination unless they have the full backing of the media (at the expense of truth). Obama can slide by on questionable experience and political background, but no way Palin can.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:

I agree. I see no way that someone with as many political missteps and changes in direction like her can win a party nomination unless they have the full backing of the media (at the expense of truth). Obama can slide by on questionable experience and political background, but no way Palin can.
What's even scarier is not that we're wondering whether she'll "flame out" by 2012, but that she's still in the discussion at all. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNC BEARS
A.K.A.: OB55

Post by Wedgebuster »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
What's even scarier is not that we're wondering whether she'll "flame out" by 2012, but that she's still in the discussion at all. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
Because she has tits and ass smeared with what every redneck bible thumper wants to hear. She's as popular as Bud Light, appeals to the same crowd that drinks it, has about the same taste, but is easier on the eye than Rush Limbaugh.

She's a shoo in.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Wedgebuster wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Because she has tits and ass smeared with what every redneck bible thumper wants to hear. She's as popular as Bud Light, appeals to the same crowd that drinks it, has about the same taste, but is easier on the eye than Rush Limbaugh.

She's a shoo in.
I drink Bud Light and she doesn't appeal to me. My brother drinks Bud Light, she doesn't appeal to him. My friend drinks Bud Light, she doesn't appeal to him. According to my sample set, your synopsis is incorrect.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wedgebuster wrote:

She's a shoo in.
I drink Bud Light and she doesn't appeal to me. My brother drinks Bud Light, she doesn't appeal to him. My friend drinks Bud Light, she doesn't appeal to him. According to my sample set, your synopsis is incorrect.
Natty ice :thumb:
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

You guys are fu*ked if you think Palin is any worse than any of the other candidates we will see in the next few years.

They are all corporate handpuppets, you gotta be pretty low on the IQ #s if you think any of them really care about our country, the fact you get into politics just means your in it for yourself to improve your own portfolio at any cost and no matter what it looks like to your constituency.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:You guys are fu*ked if you think Palin is any worse than any of the other candidates we will see in the next few years.

They are all corporate handpuppets, you gotta be pretty low on the IQ #s if you think any of them really care about our country, the fact you get into politics just means your in it for yourself to improve your own portfolio at any cost and no matter what it looks like to your constituency.
The only category she's "better" in than any of the other candidates is looks.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:You guys are fu*ked if you think Palin is any worse than any of the other candidates we will see in the next few years.

I don't question her patriotism and her supposed distance from corporate America.

That being said, I think Mitt Romney would be much better for the country than her or anyone the Democrats could put forward.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
youngterrier
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: the option
A.K.A.: Boss the Terrier

Post by youngterrier »

CID1990 wrote:

I don't question her patriotism and her supposed distance from corporate America.

That being said, I think Mitt Romney would be much better for the country than her or anyone the Democrats could put forward.
I don't really question an politicians' good intentions (call me a fool :roll: ) because I doubt any is more or less corrupt than the others, with that being said I don't know of any candidate I'd be willing to vote for now. the Libertarians will never be contenders, and I'd vote for Obama over any Republican (ironic or hypocritical I know but no Republican in contention wants to enact the RIGHT conservative economic policies so that basically puts them on the same level as the Dems economically...so I vote for the ones that AREN'T social fascists)
BigSkyBears
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Northern Colorado

Post by BigSkyBears »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wedgebuster wrote:

She's a shoo in.
Dork!!!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BigSkyBears wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Dork!!!
Don't even go there, junior.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I rarely drink beer at all and never have liked ANY light version but I would certainly vote for Palin before I'd vote for Obama. The reason is that, to me, the most important thing is the general philosophical tone to be set. First of all, I have no doubt that she does indeed believe in a somewhat less influencial Federal government than Obama does. I am confident that, more likely than not, she would favor less overal Federal spending than Obama does. If a Supreme Court appointment came up, she would be more likely nominate a person who leans towards actually following the Constitution than Obama would. So on and so forth.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Wedgebuster »

AZ, I don't believe you one second, Palin will be your choice in the 2012 election, you will have ample time to come up with an excuse, especially with the tits and ass thing here.

More proof that Palin resonates with the bud light, AZ light crowd, NASCAR!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/S ... 500-021410

Sarah Palin took a break from the snow and played politician on stock car racing's biggest stage.

Pretty important place on the political landscape, too.

The former vice presidential candidate and Alaska governor sped around Daytona International Speedway on Sunday, shaking hands and taking photos with drivers and fans alike before what she called the "all-Americana event."

Palin said she was "having fun and not thinking about the politics of this," but didn't miss the chance to energize her base in one of the most critical regions of the largest swing state.

"This is awesome," she said. "It's all-Americana event. Good, patriotic, wonderful event that's bringing a whole lot of people together. I think this is good for our country."

Sporting a black coat, blue jeans and heels — but no hand notes — the self-described "hockey mom" got the full experience in her first visit to the Daytona 500.

She sat through the pre-race driver meeting, muscled her way through pit road, took to the stage on the infield and wished drivers a safe race. She drew roars from throngs of racing fans, with AZ shouting "We love you, Sarah!"
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't trust Romney. Part of it is gut feeling and part of it is my perception that he switches positions on high profile issues when it's politically beneficial to do so. Generally, he's tended to switch from positions I disagree with to positions I agree with. I'll admit that a lot of politicians switch positions to some extent; and I have no problem with someone genuinely changing their mind due to new outlooks and information. But my belief is that's not what's happened with Romney. I think he just figures it's in his political interest to switch positions so he switches positions. For that reason I'd be very uncertain with respect to whether or not I could come close enough when predicting the general philosophical tone he would set.

Having said all that, I'd certainly vote for him if it came down to a choice between him and Obama or any other person the Democratic Party is likely to nominate as its Presidential candidate.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

You know, I always marvel at the way in which people insult people who might vote for somebody like Palin when exit polling consistently shows that the Democratic Party consistently benefits most from votes cast by the least educated among us. Whether they benefit most from voting among the least informed can't be directly assessed, but exit polling strongly suggest that they do. If Palin ran against Obama, for example, you could book it that Obama would enjoy an advantage among the least educated and you could also book it that any reasonable interpretation of exit polling would suggest a victory on his part among the least informed. It's one of the most predictable things in politics.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Could I ever be a star?

Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Wedgebuster »

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Distribution of voting among voters who did not finish high school in terms of percentages for the House and Presidential elections of 2008:

Combined National House Elections

Democrats 67%, Reoublicans 30%, Other 3%

Presidential Election

Obama/Biden 63%, McCain/Palin 35%, Other 2%
Could I ever be a star?

BigSkyBears
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Northern Colorado

Post by BigSkyBears »

AZGrizFan wrote:
BigSkyBears wrote:
Dork!!!
Don't even go there, junior.

You might as well just drink water. Back on topic, Palin is horrible.
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by native »

:thumb:

1. Politicians are often incompetent and unqualified scumbags. Palin is no worse than Obama or Edwards and better than most.

2. Though often incompetent and misguided, I think many politicians care about the country. There are better ways to get rich.
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Kind of ironic that the biggest welfare state in the union makes such a big deal about their rugged individualism. I'd love to hear Sarah explain why she wants to be the head of the same Federal government from which her husband and his buddies in the Alaska Party want to secede.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Remember that "earmarks" and "pork" are distractions that account for very little of the Federal budget and are most certainly not the problem. The problem is the entitlement mentality that gave rise to the idea that government is responsible for making sure everybody is taken care of. It has taken the form of such things as social security and medicare. That is what is undermining the fiscal stability of this country. We could eliminate anything and everything anybody could possibly construe as "pork" and it's be like taking a teaspoon out of Lake sSuperior. Making a big deal out of "pork" is great theater but "pork" is not the problem.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Remember that "earmarks" and "pork" are distractions that account for very little of the Federal budget and are most certainly not the problem. The problem is the entitlement mentality that gave rise to the idea that government is responsible for making sure everybody is taken care of. It has taken the form of such things as social security and medicare. That is what is undermining the fiscal stability of this country. We could eliminate anything and everything anybody could possibly construe as "pork" and it'd be like taking a teaspoon out of Lake Superior. Making a big deal out of "pork" is great theater but "pork" is not the problem.
Could I ever be a star?