More jobs lost in June

Political discussions
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

More jobs lost in June

Post by ASUG8 »

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/02/news/ec ... 1&iref=BN1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The U.S. economy lost jobs in June, for the first time this year, as modest hiring by businesses only partly offset the end of census jobs.

The Labor Department on Friday reported a net loss of 125,000 jobs in the month. That was due primarily to the loss of 225,000 census jobs that had swelled payrolls by 433,000 net jobs in May. Economists surveyed by Briefing.com had forecast a loss of 100,000 jobs in June.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: More jobs lost in June

Post by AZGrizFan »

Don't worry, G8. There's nothing to see here....Obama's got everything under control. All those census folks are going down to the Gulf to help with the oil spill. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

AZGrizFan wrote:Don't worry, G8. There's nothing to see here....Obama's got everything under control. All those census folks are going down to the Gulf to help with the oil spill. :coffee: :coffee:
I heard a soundbite on CNN at lunch where BO said "Make no mistake, we're headed in the right direction. Not as quickly as some of you would like, and not as quickly as I'd like." Now that the census employment bubble is burst what's going to happen next? In spite of these anemic numbers the unemployment rate dropped because more and more people are just punching out of the job search. :ohno:

He's got immigration, the oil spill, health care, and the economy/unemployment all on the front burner. I told the wife last night if he'd spend 10 days in DC with his braintrust hashing out solutions to these messes instead of going around gabbing about them, grandstanding for the cameras and pointing fingers he'd at least be able to address the public with some plans instead of stating the obvious. I think people are finally beginning to see through the smokescreen, finding out that he can deliver a speech, but when it comes to formulating effective plans he's pretty lackluster. Two years ago I'd have told you he was as definite two termer. Now, not so much. :twocents:
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

He could have the best ideas ever but the Republicans will NOT agree to anything until after the November elections........

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

mainejeff wrote:He could have the best ideas ever but the Republicans will NOT agree to anything until after the November elections........

He's losing support in his own party. Agreed on the Republicans, but they are gaining a lot of momentum while he's running around pontificating and not making decisions.
Hansel
I am a fan of: myself

Post by Hansel »

mainejeff wrote:He could have the best ideas ever but the Republicans will NOT agree to anything until after the November elections........

Which of Barry's ideas has been good?
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

We are still forgetting that he has large majorities in both houses :nod:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Of course, he could've come out with these "best ideas ever" in his first year in office while he had the supermajority and a soaring approval rating. Not sure why he held these ideas back and instead wasted more than a year pushing the health care issue. But Republicans, for all their faults (and there are many) were a complete non-factor for the first year and couldn't stop anything. Obama missed his chance then by pretty much assuming an economic recovery would happen, irregardless of the tremendous amount of extra spending he was initiating. Blaming Republicans now ignores the fact that we've really missed the ball on getting the economy turned around while dithering on other matters.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Here's the biggest dichotomy of them all:

The vast majority of "progressives" flame spray the business world because "they live for the quarterly reports" and it's all about "short-term profit, damn the long-term consequences." They blame Wall Street for this sort of thinking and for getting us in the mess we're in.

Yet, when you think about it, that's just about ALL Obama has done since he took office. With one stimulus after another, he's made THAT month's #'s look halfway decent...

$4,000 cash for clunkers - made auto sales #'s look good for a while, provided a soundbite opportunity
$8,000 homebuyer's credit - made home sales look great until the free money expired, provided a soundbite opportunity
225,000 census jobs - made the jobs # look great for 2 months, provided a soundbite opportunity

Meanwhile, soldiers, sailors and airmen keep dying in foreign countries and we're sinking in red ink and BP oil.

This is a complete clusterfuck and every donk in America that still supports this buffoon is in total denial.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote:Here's the biggest dichotomy of them all:

The vast majority of "progressives" flame spray the business world because "they live for the quarterly reports" and it's all about "short-term profit, damn the long-term consequences." They blame Wall Street for this sort of thinking and for getting us in the mess we're in.

Yet, when you think about it, that's just about ALL Obama has done since he took office. With one stimulus after another, he's made THAT month's #'s look halfway decent...

$4,000 cash for clunkers - made auto sales #'s look good for a while, provided a soundbite opportunity
$8,000 homebuyer's credit - made home sales look great until the free money expired, provided a soundbite opportunity
225,000 census jobs - made the jobs # look great for 2 months, provided a soundbite opportunity

Meanwhile, soldiers, sailors and airmen keep dying in foreign countries and we're sinking in red ink and BP oil.

This is a complete clusterfuck and every donk in America that still supports this buffoon is in total denial.

As much as I can't stand what I'm about to do...
I am going to agree with your general point regarding this administration

:nod:

and it's not because I have some fondness for this administration
it's because I can't stand it when I agree with you

:rofl:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Hansel wrote:

Which of Barry's ideas has been good?
Which Republican ideas have been good? Oh yeah.....that's right.......the Party of NO has none!

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

This is a complete **** and every donk in America that still supports this buffoon is in total denial.
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of your Savior Palin in 2012. :thumb:

Go Black Bears!
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

OL FU wrote:

Yes, if you are talking about party affiliation. But how many Dems are trying to distance themselves from Barry? The number grows every day.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mainejeff wrote:

This is a complete **** and every donk in America that still supports this buffoon is in total denial.
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of your Savior Palin in 2012. :thumb:

I'm glad you think that....it makes you less dangerous during voting season. :lol: :lol: :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:

As much as I can't stand what I'm about to do...
I am going to agree with your general point regarding this administration

:nod:

and it's not because I have some fondness for this administration
it's because I can't stand it when I agree with you

:rofl:
I know how you feel. That's exactly how I feel when houndawg posts something i agree with. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
UCABEAR
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Central Arkansas
A.K.A.: UCABEAR

Post by UCABEAR »

What was this I heard about the unemployment numbers being looked at differently now. If you were laid off and quit looking for work and still collect an unemployment paycheck, then you are NOT labeled as unemployed! Did I hear that correctly on the national news? :shock: That would shrink the number of unemployed in the South by hundreds of thousands. :rofl: If this is true then Obama has reduced unemployment again! :thumb: :roll:
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

UCABEAR wrote:What was this I heard about the unemployment numbers being looked at differently now. If you were laid off and quit looking for work and still collect an unemployment paycheck, then you are NOT labeled as unemployed! Did I hear that correctly on the national news? :shock: That would shrink the number of unemployed in the South by hundreds of thousands. :rofl: If this is true then Obama has reduced unemployment again! :thumb: :roll:
Legally to collect unemployment you are supposed to be looking for a job, so I kinda doubt that. The problem is that it is estimated that 600,000 (not positive about this number I heard it on CNBC :oops: ) left the work force last month because they stopped looking for a job. They are not counted in the unemployment number. If they had been counted unemployment would have been over 10%. Estimates are now that underemployment is at 18%. That is the real number that the media and others should be focused on.
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

CitadelGrad wrote:
OL FU wrote:
Yes, if you are talking about party affiliation. But how many Dems are trying to distance themselves from Barry? The number grows every day.
and that was my point without saying it. If he had democratic support he could get his good ideas through congress. If, at the start of his presidency, he had approached things from a slightly left of center point of view he could have had a good deal of republican support. He didn't win by a large majority but by the time he became president, there was a lot of goodwill (which is typical for most new presidents) in the country for him. Republicans were on the defensive and many, not those in die hard conservative states like SC, would have joined with the democrats given the opportunity simply to have not looked obstructionist. But Obama gave them their out with a stimulus that didn't stimulate and a health care bill that will only make things worse. No reason now for republicans to do anything but sit back and wait.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

BHO: "I'm just a jobs machine! And I won't work for nobody but you! OH-HO, YEAH!" :rofl:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UCABEAR
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Central Arkansas
A.K.A.: UCABEAR

Post by UCABEAR »

"If you would have released my second Shakra, I would have found a JOB for everyone!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

OL FU wrote: Republicans were on the defensive and many, not those in die hard conservative states like SC, would have joined with the democrats given the opportunity simply to have not looked obstructionist. But Obama gave them their out with a stimulus that didn't stimulate and a health care bill that will only make things worse. No reason now for republicans to do anything but sit back and wait.
Agreed - Obama had a golden opportunity to really come in an change the culture of Washington in the way that he said he would. But once he got there, he seemed to assume the economy would, as it always had before, improve following a recession and allowed the more partisan members of his party in Congress to write the health care bill that, while it does a lot of good things (although many of the good things don't happen for years), is as anti-stimulus as it gets. He also let Congress go on way too long debating a financial reform bill and he's let the same Congress (and the EPA) debate climate change legislation ad infinitum as well. Some of these things had to be done (financial reform for instance), while some could've waited (certainly the climate change stuff). But all of this took way too long to happen and has certainly cast an air of uncertainty around government and where we are headed. And uncertainty about the nation's fortunes never translates well into economic stability or growth. Assuming the economy would just get better and would not be impacted negatively by many of these policies could go down as Obama's biggest miscalculation. If he's not careful, we'll be having economic students 30 years from now studying Obama right along with Hoover in terms of how not to handle a recessionary crisis.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation