Republicans block small business bill..............

Political discussions
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Republicans block small business bill..............

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Senate Republicans on Thursday rejected a bill to aid small businesses with expanded loan programs and tax breaks, a procedural blockade that underscored how fiercely determined the party’s leaders are to deny Democrats any further legislative accomplishments before November’s midterm elections.

The small business measure, championed by Senator Mary L. Landrieu, Democrat of Louisiana, had the backing of some of the Republican party’s most reliable allies in the business world, including the United States Chamber of Commerce and the National Federation of Independent Business. Several Republican lawmakers also helped write it.

But Republicans leaders filibustered after engaging for days in a procedural fight with Democrats over the number of amendments they would be able to offer during floor debate, and what issues the amendments would cover. A last-ditch offer by Democrats to allow three Republican amendments was refused by the Republican leader, Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

“The majority leader has graciously given us three amendments and what I’m saying is three amendments is not enough; he knows that,” Mr. McConnell said, leveling his objection on the Senate floor. “So we are not expecting to have an unlimited number of amendments, but three amendments will not suffice.”

The demise, at least for now, of the small-business measure signaled that Democrats would fare no better on other legislation that they had hoped to finish before the summer recess begins at the end of next week, including a scaled-back energy bill. The Senate is expected to confirm Elena Kagan’s nomination to the Supreme Court, but that may be its only substantive action before lawmakers leave town.

With 60 votes needed to advance the legislation, the tally was 58 to 42, with Democrats unanimously in favor and Republicans all opposed. The majority leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, switched his vote to no at the last minute, a parliamentary step that allows him to call for a revote at any point. And some lawmakers said they held out hope of a deal perhaps even later on Thursday.

The vote followed several heated exchanges on the floor, in which Republicans accused Democrats of politicizing the bill and trying to deny them the opportunity to propose changes. Democrats countered that Republicans were simply obstructing everything and some of their amendments were unrelated to the bill.

“That is the tradition in the United States Senate: majority rules but you accommodate the rights of the minority,” said Senator Olympia J. Snowe of Maine, who is the senior Republican on the small-business committee. “We’re faced with a procedural impasse here because we’re being denied the opportunity to offer some amendments.”

Ms. Snowe also chastised Democrats for dillydallying on the small-business measure, repeatedly pulling it off the floor to deal with other matters. “We need to create jobs in America,” she said. “This bill has been on the floor for three weeks and three substitutes — 81 days.”

Ms. Landrieu harshly criticized Mr. McConnell for blocking the measure, and warned that some businesses might fail as a result of the inaction in the Senate.

“Our businesses have picked up enough weight; they can’t handle that weight,” she said in a floor speech. “And if we don’t give them some help now, today, many of them aren’t going to be here — I want the senator from Kentucky to know — when we show up in September.”

The legislation would create a $30 billion lending program within the Treasury Department, to be administered through local, community banks. It would also provide more than $12 billion in tax breaks, and would expand or enhance various existing government lending programs for small businesses.

The stalemate comes as the two parties are bracing for a fiercely competitive fall campaign season, and each side is maneuvering to portray itself as the champion of small business.

Ms. Landrieu’s staff members on Wednesday distributed a four-page chart showing how the various provisions in the legislation were drafted with bipartisan support. Her office has also distributed list of various advocacy groups, including business associations traditionally regarded as Republican allies, that are supporting the bill.

But some of those groups, including the National Federation of Independent Business, said that while they supported the overall legislation, they also supported some amendments that Republicans were seeking to offer.

Senator George LeMieux, Republican of Florida, who helped draft the bill, said Democrats had taken a bipartisan measure and created a partisan firefight over it.

“This small business bill should pass and it should pass with relevant amendments,” Mr. LeMieux said. “Before I am a Republican, I am a Floridian and an American, and this bill is good for our country.”

Mr. LeMieux pointed out that with the House set to adjourn for its summer recess at the end of this week, the Senate is running out of time if it wants to channel aid to small businesses before Congress returns to Washington in mid-September.

With tensions running high, Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, Democrat of Rhode Island, immediately jumped in to ask Mr. LeMieux to yield for a question and noted that “if just one” Republican had voted with the Democrats — a pointed reference to Mr. LeMieux himself — the bill would be moving forward.

Mr. LeMieux shot back, “Half the truth is no truth at all.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/us/po ... 0cong.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fucking cocksuckers
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Re: Republicans block small business bill..............

Post by Grizalltheway »

And yet they're bitching about letting Bush's tax breaks for the richest 3% expire at the end of the year. :roll: :ohno: :ohno:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Oh, boo hoo.

Dems slam shitty bills through without reading them, and you see no problem. Reps block one bill and it's the end of the fucking world.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Hansel
I am a fan of: myself

Post by Hansel »

Following the unequivocal success of the stimulus, I doubt small businesses need any help
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Hansel wrote:Following the unequivocal success of the stimulus, I doubt small businesses need any help
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rimshot from Hansel!!
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:Oh, boo hoo.

Dems slam shitty bills through without reading them, and you see no problem. Reps block one bill and it's the end of the **** world.
Soooooo, lending to small businesses and tax breaks are no longer part of the conk plan? :o
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

kalm wrote:

Dems slam shitty bills through without reading them, and you see no problem. Reps block one bill and it's the end of the **** world.
Soooooo, lending to small businesses and tax breaks are no longer part of the conk plan? :o
Not if the Dems get credit for it. Elections are coming up, after all. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
kalm wrote:
Those two statements prove how little each of you know about the political process. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
Those two statements prove how little each of you know about the political process. :roll: :roll: :roll:
a procedural blockade that underscored how fiercely determined the party’s leaders are to deny Democrats any further legislative accomplishments before November’s midterm elections
I guess the author of the article doesn't know anything about it either. Fuck it, let's all just bow down to America's great political guru, AZGrizFan. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Grizalltheway wrote:And yet they're bitching about letting Bush's tax breaks for the richest 3% expire at the end of the year. :roll: :ohno: :ohno:
:rofl:

Einstein, those nasty evil "richest 3%" are the small business owners jellybelly is whining about.
Love the Donk circular reasoning. Whine like little b!tches because those poor small business owners can't get loans, then crowbar them in the back of the head and take what little money they have left out of their wallets.

Nice... :ohno:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

I won't pass judgement on this until I know what the unreasonable amendments are.........
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

ASUG8 wrote:I won't pass judgement on this until I know what the unreasonable amendments are.........
From the article...
The three Republican amendments that Democrats seemed open to debating would eliminate a provision in the new health care law requiring businesses to file 1099 forms reporting when they buy more than $600 in goods from other businesses, extend a tax credit for biodiesel fuel and extend a credit for research and development.

Republicans had also wanted amendments on other topics, including the estate tax, nuclear loan guarantees, border security and the expiring Bush tax cuts.

Senator George LeMieux, Republican of Florida, who helped draft the bill, said Democrats had taken a bipartisan measure and created a partisan fight over it.
It's pretty safe to say if the Senator who help draft this bill had to vote against it, then the Donk leadership probably attached some asinine provisions to it.
From the class of 09
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by From the class of 09 »

Baldy wrote: It's pretty safe to say if the Senator who help draft this bill had to vote against it, then the Donk leadership probably attached some asinine provisions to it.
What you mean they might have slipped some pork into the bill? That really doesn't sound like a US congressman :rofl:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote:

Maybe if they're small businesses with half-a-billion sales. :coffee:
You matter, unless you multiply yourself by "c" squared. Then you energy.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Baldy wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:I won't pass judgement on this until I know what the unreasonable amendments are.........
From the article...
The three Republican amendments that Democrats seemed open to debating would eliminate a provision in the new health care law requiring businesses to file 1099 forms reporting when they buy more than $600 in goods from other businesses, extend a tax credit for biodiesel fuel and extend a credit for research and development.

Republicans had also wanted amendments on other topics, including the estate tax, nuclear loan guarantees, border security and the expiring Bush tax cuts.

Senator George LeMieux, Republican of Florida, who helped draft the bill, said Democrats had taken a bipartisan measure and created a partisan fight over it.
It's pretty safe to say if the Senator who help draft this bill had to vote against it, then the Donk leadership probably attached some asinine provisions to it.
Thanks Baldy - I only read what was posted. I wish these guys could vote on the issue at hand without bringing in a bunch of side barter items, but that would be efficient.... :ohno:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Hansel wrote:Following the unequivocal success of the stimulus, I doubt small businesses need any help
Just two replies in, and Hansel nails it.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Baldy wrote:
Here's one of the Republicans that helped draft it... right before he voted against it:
“This small business bill should pass and it should pass with relevant amendments,” Mr. LeMieux said. “Before I am a Republican, I am a Floridian and an American, and this bill is good for our country.”
:? :| :ohno:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Baldy wrote:
Here's one of the Republicans that helped draft it... right before he voted against it:
:? :| :ohno:
Then Prince Harry and his Brownshirts should let the Senators attach the "relevant amendments".
It's not that hard to figure out, ky... :roll:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Baldy wrote: Then Prince Harry and his Brownshirts should let the Senators attach the "relevant amendments".
The ones your article says Democrats were open to adding were relevant.

The ones your article says they wren't open to adding were irrelevant... border security, estate tax, nuclear loan guarantees, etc.
:roll:

And why should they get all the amendments that they want? They're the fucking minority. The dude fucking says "This bill is good for the country." And then he votes against it. :ohno:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Baldy wrote: Then Prince Harry and his Brownshirts should let the Senators attach the "relevant amendments".
The ones your article says Democrats were open to adding were relevant.

The ones your article says they wren't open to adding were irrelevant... border security, estate tax, nuclear loan guarantees, etc.
:roll:

And why should they get all the amendments that they want? They're the **** minority. The dude **** says "This bill is good for the country." And then he votes against it. :ohno:
My article? That came out of the article you posted. :roll:
Nice to see you gloss over the most relevant amendment that the Dims don't want attached to the bill, an extension of the Bush tax cuts that MANY Donks want.

Karma is on the way.
I'm sure we all remember how the Donks whined and cried forever about Bush cutting taxes during wartime. Now we are in a massive recession and the Dims are going to be the cause of the largest tax increase in US history. What goes around, comes around. :rofl: :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

It's all about the political party. Dems blaming Reps, Reps blaming Dems with no regard to what's best for the American People. :ohno:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
a procedural blockade that underscored how fiercely determined the party’s leaders are to deny Democrats any further legislative accomplishments before November’s midterm elections
I guess the author of the article doesn't know anything about it either. Fuck it, let's all just bow down to America's great political guru, AZGrizFan. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Jesus. It took you long enough. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:It's all about the political party. Dems blaming Reps, Reps blaming Dems with no regard to what's best for the American People. :ohno:
Amen to this post!!! :thumb: Everything now is just a bunch of electioneering - Dems trying to set up the GOP so they can get a soundbite saying that the GOP is against all these things, and the GOP trying to do the same to the Dems. And then partisan zealots more interested in the political game rather than what it all means spread out and parrot the same nonsense about how the other party is bad. At least the bright side is hopefully the GOP will win the House and futher gridlock the Senate so that the Dems will have the Executive Branch and the GOP will have the legislative branch (or enough to neutralize it) - then either they work together or they just stymie each other. I'm looking forward to mixed government as it weakens the most partisan of each party. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:It's all about the political party. Dems blaming Reps, Reps blaming Dems with no regard to what's best for the American People. :ohno:
Amen to this post!!! :thumb: Everything now is just a bunch of electioneering - Dems trying to set up the GOP so they can get a soundbite saying that the GOP is against all these things, and the GOP trying to do the same to the Dems. And then partisan zealots more interested in the political game rather than what it all means spread out and parrot the same nonsense about how the other party is bad. At least the bright side is hopefully the GOP will win the House and futher gridlock the Senate so that the Dems will have the Executive Branch and the GOP will have the legislative branch (or enough to neutralize it) - then either they work together or they just stymie each other. I'm looking forward to mixed government as it weakens the most partisan of each party. :thumb:
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

The way the founding fathers intended it. :nod:
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

The way the founding fathers intended it. :nod:
But aren't the people in power now sooooooo much smarter than those backwards old farts who helped form our nation. :?

:lol:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?