Political discussions
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Presidential Address - I'm gonna puke

Post by houndawg »

Why can't he just say it's about the oil? I'll bet the folks in Darfur would just love to hear this speech about authorizing military action to save those poor civilians in Libya.. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Re: Presidential Address - I'm gonna puke

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

houndawg wrote:Why can't he just say it's about the oil? I'll bet the folks in Darfur would just love to hear this speech about authorizing military action to save those poor civilians in Libya.. :ohno:
he wasn't potus during darfur
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:Why can't he just say it's about the oil? I'll bet the folks in Darfur would just love to hear this speech about authorizing military action to save those poor civilians in Libya.. :ohno:
good point.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

:nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Interesting choice of words: "I refuse to wait for images of slaughter and mass graves" before action.

Oh, you mean like those we saw from Iraq? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter

AZGrizFan wrote:Interesting choice of words: "I refuse to wait for images of slaughter and mass graves" before action.

Oh, you mean like those we saw from Iraq? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
obviously you didn't wait for him to distinguish our actions in Libya vs. how we proceeded in Iraq...

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
He was probably "voting present" during Darfur.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Interesting choice of words: "I refuse to wait for images of slaughter and mass graves" before action.

obviously you didn't wait for him to distinguish our actions in Libya vs. how we proceeded in Iraq...
:coffee:

Sure, but if Reagan or Bush or Clinton had gone into Iraq before the mass graves surfaced, they'd have been crucified.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
:coffee:

Sure, but if Reagan or Bush or Clinton had gone into Iraq before the mass graves surfaced, they'd have been crucified.
As I recall HW Bush came under a lot of fire from the right for sticking to the mission and not going onto Baghdad.
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
:lol:

The cease fire was in February of 2010...and it has been violated, including reported airstrikes, ever since. It will flair up again soon...you can bet on that. And you can bet Obama will sit on his hands...as he is doing in Bahrain.

This sums it up:

"Addressing concerns that the intervention could open the door to further U.S. action in the Muslim world — where U.S. forces are already on the job in Afghanistan and Iraq — Obama's deputy national security adviser, Denis McDonough, told reporters Monday that the intervention in Libya shouldn't been seen as a precedent.

"Each of them, frankly, is nationally motivated. It's not an international thing," McDonough said. "So we don't get very hung up on this question of precedent, because we don't make decisions about questions like intervention based on consistency or precedent.

"We base them on how we can best advance our interests in the region," he said."
:shock:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42305344/ns ... hite_house" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very Bush-like...and crickets from the left. :lol:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

No doubt about his oratorical ability, gotta give him that.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Cluck U wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:

The cease fire was in February of 2010...and it has been violated, including reported airstrikes, ever since. It will flair up again soon...you can bet on that. And you can bet Obama will sit on his hands...as he is doing in Bahrain.

This sums it up:

"Addressing concerns that the intervention could open the door to further U.S. action in the Muslim world — where U.S. forces are already on the job in Afghanistan and Iraq — Obama's deputy national security adviser, Denis McDonough, told reporters Monday that the intervention in Libya shouldn't been seen as a precedent.

"Each of them, frankly, is nationally motivated. It's not an international thing," McDonough said. "So we don't get very hung up on this question of precedent, because we don't make decisions about questions like intervention based on consistency or precedent.

"We base them on how we can best advance our interests in the region," he said."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42305344/ns ... hite_house" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't disagree with advancing our interests, I disagree that military action does so beyond the short run, if at all

Why is it that we can always find resources for more war while our so-called leaders gasp in horror about the terrible consequences of any domestic spending that isn't a tax cut for the ultra-rich?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:No doubt about his oratorical ability, gotta give him that.
He reads a mean speech. :lol: :roll:
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

AZGrizFan wrote:

Does anyone else wonder who is calling the shots in putting together those mean speeches?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
A big improvement! :thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

LeadBolt wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Does anyone else wonder who is calling the shots in putting together those mean speeches?
Nope. It's Soros/Ayers/Pelosi/Reid. :nod: :nod: :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Cluck U wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:

This sums it up:

Yup, as I've said before, it's the third term. And if Obama was Republican, conks would have been :nod: about this and stumbling all over themselves trying to connect the dots between Ghaddafi and Al Quaeda.

Funny how conks normally appreciate a little Maciavellianism.
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

Obama in February: The US Must Give Libya's Military More Money

In February, in the midst of a revolution in Egypt and an uprising in Tunisia, the President actually asked the United States Congress to provide Dictator Maummar Gaddafi with an additional $1.7 million in funds for his military.

In response, Republican Congressman Ted Poe of Texas stated, "It's certainly not wise or smart to give American aid to countries like Libya where the ruling class use it against their own people." Apparently the leader of the free world disagrees.

The report continues:

According to State Department figures, the money was earmarked to train Libyan military officers, improve its air force, secure its borders and to counter terrorism.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03 ... st-unrest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Bronco wrote:Obama in February: The US Must Give Libya's Military More Money

In February, in the midst of a revolution in Egypt and an uprising in Tunisia, the President actually asked the United States Congress to provide Dictator Maummar Gaddafi with an additional $1.7 million in funds for his military.

In response, Republican Congressman Ted Poe of Texas stated, "It's certainly not wise or smart to give American aid to countries like Libya where the ruling class use it against their own people." Apparently the leader of the free world disagrees.

The report continues:

According to State Department figures, the money was earmarked to train Libyan military officers, improve its air force, secure its borders and to counter terrorism.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03 ... st-unrest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We're giving him aid....to the tune of $1 billion per week in missles. Used missles. :lol: :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

The Prez just reported that he's sending the US carrier group led by the SS Michelle Obama to the Mediterranean to support the no-fly zone.

It has a bigger flight deck than the Enterprise. :mrgreen:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

FACT CHECK: How Obama's Libya claims fit the facts

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this seems to go farther than a no fly zoneU.S. deploys low-flying attack planes in Libya
Washington Post ^ | March 28, 2011 | Greg Jaffe and Karen DeYoung

The U.S. military dramatically stepped up its assault on Libyan government ground forces this weekend, launching its first attacks with AC-130 flying gunships and A-10 attack aircraft, which are designed to strike enemy ground troops and supply convoys, according to senior U.S. military officials.

Their use in Libya could be “a significant game changer,” said a senior military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military operations.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Bronco wrote:FACT CHECK: How Obama's Libya claims fit the facts

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this seems to go farther than a no fly zoneU.S. deploys low-flying attack planes in Libya

The U.S. military dramatically stepped up its assault on Libyan government ground forces this weekend, launching its first attacks with AC-130 flying gunships and A-10 attack aircraft, which are designed to strike enemy ground troops and supply convoys, according to senior U.S. military officials.

Their use in Libya could be “a significant game changer,” said a senior military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military operations.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:
Bronco wrote:FACT CHECK: How Obama's Libya claims fit the facts

The A-10: One of (if not THE) baddest weapons in the US arsenal. :nod: :nod: :nod:
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I used to make anti-tank rounds for the A-10. I have nothing but pity for any poor bastard in their sights.

The A-10: One of (if not THE) baddest weapons in the US arsenal. :nod: :nod: :nod:
It's also got one of the worst safety records too. Flying coffins, just like our helicoptors.

The US military is a joke.
"Sarah Palin absolutely blew AWAY the audience tonight. If there was any doubt as to whether she was savvy enough, tough enough or smart enough to carry the mantle of Vice President, she put those fears to rest tonight. She took on Barack Obama DIRECTLY on every issue and exposed... She did it with warmth and humor, and came across as the every-person....it's becoming mroe and more clear that she was a genius pick for McCain."

AZGrizfan - Summer 2008
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I used to make anti-tank rounds for the A-10. I have nothing but pity for any poor bastard in their sights.

still think i'd rather have one of them make a flyover at the superbowl...