Cleveland Bridge Plot Stopped

Political discussions
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Cleveland Bridge Plot Stopped

Post by Gil Dobie »

Apparently occupy Wall Street wasn't violent enough for these guys.

Link
Five men described by federal authorities as anarchists angry with corporate America and the government were charged Tuesday with plotting to bomb an Ohio bridge linking two wealthy Cleveland suburbs.

The men were arrested Monday night after unknowingly working with an FBI informant for months, a strategy that federal investigators have used repeatedly in recent years to nab alleged terrorists.

"They talked about making a statement against corporate America and the government as some of the motivations for their actions," U.S. Attorney Steven Dettelbach said in announcing the arrests with the head of the FBI in Cleveland, Stephen Anthony.

The alleged plotters researched explosives and obtained what they thought was C-4 explosives. The material, in fact, was harmless and the public was never at risk, because the men got it from the informant, officials said.

The men planted the fake explosives at the base of the bridge, armed them, went to a remote spot and "entered the codes that they thought would blow up the bridge with innocent people traveling over it," Dettelbach said.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Cleveland Bridge Plot Stopped

Post by Baldy »

Donks... :ohno:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Please 'splain to me how blowing up a bridge full of commuters teaches corporate America a lesson.... :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

ASUG8 wrote:Please 'splain to me how blowing up a bridge full of commuters teaches corporate America a lesson.... :coffee:
Same way blowing up abortion clinics teaches abortionists a lesson, or blowing up federal buildings teaches big government liberals a lesson. :coffee:

(hint: they're anarchists)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:Please 'splain to me how blowing up a bridge full of commuters teaches corporate America a lesson.... :coffee:
Same way blowing up abortion clinics teaches abortionists a lesson
Ah, you went to the AZ School of Analogies. :?

While I agree that blowing up anything in this country is dispicable, it's not quite the same.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
Same way blowing up abortion clinics teaches abortionists a lesson
Ah, you went to the AZ School of Analogies. :?

While I agree that blowing up anything in this country is dispicable, it's not quite the same.
And why not, exactly?
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

Grizalltheway wrote:
89Hen wrote: Ah, you went to the AZ School of Analogies. :?

And why not, exactly?
Because the people in the clinic aren't innocent. They all deserve to die!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

kalm wrote:
Same way blowing up abortion clinics teaches abortionists a lesson, or blowing up federal buildings teaches big government liberals a lesson. :coffee:

Fail.
Abortionists are related to abortion clinics, federal buildings are related to government.

Me, your grandmother, you, whoever...driving on an overpass have no overt relationship to government or big corporations. Completely indiscriminant.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ASUG8 wrote:
kalm wrote:

Fail.
Abortionists are related to abortion clinics, federal buildings are related to government.

Me, your grandmother, you, whoever...driving on an overpass have no overt relationship to government or big corporations. Completely indiscriminant.
Give me a break. Innocent people can and have died in all three scenarios including the daycare in OKcity. All three scenarios suck, regardless of the intent. I'd consider dropping out of the JSO school of literal and exact interpretation if I were you. :coffee:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

kalm wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:
Fail.

Give me a break. Innocent people can and have died in all three scenarios including the daycare in OKcity. All three scenarios suck, regardless of the intent. I'd consider dropping out of the JSO school of literal and exact interpretation if I were you. :coffee:
Got it, I'll make more nebulous analogies from now on. I guess it would be kind of stupid to be pissed at someone specific but take it out on someone else entirely. :coffee:
And the JSO comment is below the belt....you're better than that. :D
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

So you're going to teach Wall Street a lesson by killing a bunch of people who aren't Wall Street and destroying infrastructure that Wall Street doesn't need? All the while risking a blow to the economy that will affect the 99% more than the 1%?

Makes about as much sense as starting a huge fire to burn a lot full of SUVs.

:dunce:

At least right-wing terrorists usually pick targets that make sense.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:
Fail.

As I said, all three do suck. But if you can't see that blowing up a random bridge to protest governent, and blowing up an abortion clinic to protest abortion are rather different, I'm not sure I will be able to explain it to you. :?
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

-
Funny how the media turns a OWS drum circle protester into an anarchist once they turn violent

the Dems own this no matter how their media spins it

“God bless them” — Nancy Pelosi
There not that different from some of the protests that we saw coming from the tea party
Barack Obama 10/18/2011
the "anarchists" are OWS protesters

One of them was the Occupy Cleveland orgainzer. Look:http://capturedcleveland.com/post/19707110091/occupied

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ASUG8 wrote:
kalm wrote:
Got it, I'll make more nebulous analogies from now on. I guess it would be kind of stupid to be pissed at someone specific but take it out on someone else entirely. :coffee:
And the JSO comment is below the belt....you're better than that. :D
Well then, I apologize. But it's not as if I accused you of being a animal accusing, bigoted, pedophile. :thumb:

(sorry JSO)
Bronco
Level3
Level3

Post by Bronco »

More "anarchists"

starting to see a pattern
May Day Eve Quickly Turns Ugly In San Francisco
Yahoo ^ | 5/01/12

May Day Eve Quickly Turns Ugly In San Francisco

A day that is expected to be filled with anti-establishment protests all around the globe began early last night with a roving band of "anarchists" smashing car windows and store fronts in San Francisco's Mission District. The mini-riot (which was technically on April 30, but still) may have started as a "ruckus street party" organized by Occupy Oakland protesters who invaded their sister city
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bronco
Level3
Level3

Post by Bronco »

-
Howard Stern interview of future "anarchists" attending OWS

[youtube][/youtube]
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

Bronco wrote:-
Howard Stern interview of future "anarchists" attending OWS

[youtube][/youtube]
:lol:
You have the right to be pissed, but at least understand why. :ohno:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

kalm wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:
Fail.

Saying that one act of terrorism makes less sense is not the same thing as saying one is more justified. Your comparison might be valid if Eric Rudolph had bombed an OB/GYN practice that doesn't do abortions.

The difference between these guys and guys like Timothy McVeigh and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is that the latter two are smart and the former are idiots. Anyone who thinks anarchy is the best way to eliminate the possibility of a powerful class of people have to be idiots.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Bronco
Level3
Level3

Post by Bronco »

-
The violence of this summer will help voters understand what's going on

TAMPA, Fla. — Five self-proclaimed anarchists were arrested Monday after allegedly conspiring to blow up a bridge about 15 miles south of Cleveland. Based on statements in the affidavit, not only are the suspects linked to the Occupy movement, but one of them mentioned the Republican National Convention in Tampa as another possible target.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Stephen Anthony says, “The co-conspirators placed the inert IEDs at the base of a concrete support pillar and prepared to remotely detonate the devices.”

But officials say their plan fizzled out after an undercover agent sold them two inoperable explosive devices.
What’s troubling for many, though, is that two of the men — 26-year-old Douglas Wright and 20-year-old Brandon Baxter — also discussed timing and how to “make a good statement” at the Republican Convention in Tampa.Tampa Police confirm there is a special transportation committee set up whose prime objective is to keep our roadways and bridges safe during the convention and Ken Jones, the president of the Republican National Convention Host Committee, told 10 News earlier this year, “While it may be a little nervous to most people what we know is going on out there, we know they’re going to do their job to protect us at this event.”

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/Wrigh ... ontentBody" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bronco
Level3
Level3

Post by Bronco »

-
Like I said... Dems own this

A staffer for President Barack Obama’s Department of Homeland Security is praising the left-wing “May Day” protests. On Tuesday evening, Nate Snyder, the special adviser to Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano for “Community Partnership and Strategic Engagement,” tweeted “Happy May Day! #solidarity.”
Snyder has his his current Homeland Security post since March 2011, according to his LinkedIn page. He was previously the department’s Deputy White House Liaison. Before joining the Obama administration, Snyder worked for the Service Employees International Union, and for Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign.

Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
As I said, all three do suck. But if you can't see that blowing up a random bridge to protest governent, and blowing up an abortion clinic to protest abortion are rather different, I'm not sure I will be able to explain it to you. :?
The government funded, designed and built the bridge, did it not? :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
They're both acts of terror potentially involving innocent people. Are there a few differences? Sure. But do those differences really matter. Did I answer ASUG8's question with a good analogy? Yes. Assholes are assholes and assholishness transcends movement. :nod:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Pwns wrote:So you're going to teach Wall Street a lesson by killing a bunch of people who aren't Wall Street and destroying infrastructure that Wall Street doesn't need? All the while risking a blow to the economy that will affect the 99% more than the 1%?

Makes about as much sense as starting a huge fire to burn a lot full of SUVs.

:dunce:

At least right-wing terrorists usually pick targets that make sense.
The bridge linked wealthy sections of town. :nod:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Grizalltheway wrote:
89Hen wrote: As I said, all three do suck. But if you can't see that blowing up a random bridge to protest governent, and blowing up an abortion clinic to protest abortion are rather different, I'm not sure I will be able to explain it to you. :?
The government funded, designed and built the bridge, did it not? :coffee:
:lol: I can't tell if your just being a PITA or you're really that dense.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: As I said, all three do suck. But if you can't see that blowing up a random bridge to protest governent, and blowing up an abortion clinic to protest abortion are rather different, I'm not sure I will be able to explain it to you. :?
They're both acts of terror potentially involving innocent people. Are there a few differences? Sure. But do those differences really matter. Did I answer ASUG8's question with a good analogy? Yes.
No, you did not in the case of the abortion clinic. The one MAJOR difference does matter. Who cares anyway, we both agree that none of them should happen. Admit it was a horrible analogy and move on. 8-)