Political discussions
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Wind Power is Great!

Post by HI54UNI »

Our utility has been seeing record levels of electricity use for the last couple weeks because of the high demand from the heat wave. About 10% of our nameplate generating capacity comes from wind. Guess how much wind energy we are getting today. Zero, zilch, nada, nothing! And it's been that way most of the last two weeks. Good thing we built a natural gas powered plant to back up the wind so the rate payers could pay for both the wind and the gas plants when only the gas plant was needed. :ohno:

Fuck you algore. I'd like to see your fat ass live without air conditioning and electricity. :evil:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Wind Power is Great!

Post by dbackjon »

HI54UNI wrote:Our utility has been seeing record levels of electricity use for the last couple weeks because of the high demand from the heat wave. About 10% of our nameplate generating capacity comes from wind. Guess how much wind energy we are getting today. Zero, zilch, nada, nothing! And it's been that way most of the last two weeks. Good thing we built a natural gas powered plant to back up the wind so the rate payers could pay for both the wind and the gas plants when only the gas plant was needed. :ohno:

Fuck you algore. I'd like to see your fat ass live without air conditioning and electricity. :evil:

That is one of the issues with renewables - lack of consistant power (whether solar or wind).
Until long-term storage capabilities are developed, this will be a major hurdle to overcome.

It does help to keep us from running out of fossil fuels - but as you said, there is a cost, that of double capacity.

Sometime down the road, you may be glad you have the wind mills, if gas supplies were disrupted.

Just build a nuclear plant and be done with it :thumb:
:thumb:
Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNC BEARS
A.K.A.: OB55

Post by Wedgebuster »

Wind energy option is available through Rocky Mountain Power here, my office is enrolled.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Should have also put a solar farm in - gotta cover those bases.
:thumb:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Wedgebuster wrote:Wind energy option is available through Rocky Mountain Power here, my office is enrolled.
I've got no problem with people that want to voluntarily support renewable energy. Good for you!
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

dbackjon wrote:Should have also put a solar farm in - gotta cover those bases.
:lol: To get me to 5% of my capacity needs would take a shit load of land and cost about 4-5 times more than the worthless wind. But at least it would produce when we need it!

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

HI54UNI wrote:
:lol: To get me to 5% of my capacity needs would take a shit load of land and cost about 4-5 times more than the worthless wind. But at least it would produce when we need it!
Understood. I don't support mandated large scale wind & solar power projects for this reason. I do, however, support promoting those technologies on an individual (or small scale community-based) manner. By "support", I mean tax credits to promote individual households to adopt renewable supplemental power sources such as wind or solar (my house is in good location for both and it's on the to do list of future projects) even to the point of mandating their use through carrot / stick philosophy. Fire away! :hide:
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

HI54UNI wrote:
:lol: To get me to 5% of my capacity needs would take a **** load of land and cost about 4-5 times more than the worthless wind. But at least it would produce when we need it!
Money that could be spend finding a way to improve nuclear power use and safety. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
:lol: To get me to 5% of my capacity needs would take a **** load of land and cost about 4-5 times more than the worthless wind. But at least it would produce when we need it!
Money that could be spend finding a way to improve nuclear power use and safety. :coffee:
Yup, agree with this. Wind and solar are nowhere near where they need to be to be more than novelty ideas at the present time, and generically throwing money into research for them won't speed up the process to make them technologically relevant. At some point we'll need to go that route and when that happens, there'll be plenty of resources devoted to that. Right now, though, we have plenty of other alternatives that are plentiful, cheaper, and much cleaner than what we've used in the past. Oh, and they work too.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Yup, agree with this. Wind and solar are nowhere near where they need to be to be more than novelty ideas at the present time, and generically throwing money into research for them won't speed up the process to make them technologically relevant. At some point we'll need to go that route and when that happens, there'll be plenty of resources devoted to that. Right now, though, we have plenty of other alternatives that are plentiful, cheaper, and much cleaner than what we've used in the past. Oh, and they work too.
Unfortunately, no one wants a nuclear power plant in their back yard...not even a wind farm off their coast.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Cluck U wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Unfortunately, no one wants a nuclear power plant in their back yard...not even a wind farm off their coast.
I'm downwind from Hanford and drive past a gazillion wind turbines on the way to Seattle. Neither bothers me too much. I actually think wind turbines are kind of scenic...in a way.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

kalm wrote:
Cluck U wrote:
I'm downwind from Hanford and drive past a gazillion wind turbines on the way to Seattle. Neither bothers me too much. I actually think wind turbines are kind of scenic...in a way.
There are about 200 turbines 8-10 miles south of where I live. If I walk a block to the edge of town I can see them. From a distance they don't bother me. If you talk to the people that live near them most don't care for them. Biggest complaint is the noise. They have got better about placing them. I know a guy that has one south of his house. In the summer it is fine but in the winter when the sun is lower he gets shadow flicker from the blades. He says on a sunny winter afternoon he has to close his living room curtains because the flicker drives him crazy when he's trying to watch football.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Appaholic wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
Understood. I don't support mandated large scale wind & solar power projects for this reason. I do, however, support promoting those technologies on an individual (or small scale community-based) manner. By "support", I mean tax credits to promote individual households to adopt renewable supplemental power sources such as wind or solar (my house is in good location for both and it's on the to do list of future projects) even to the point of mandating their use through carrot / stick philosophy. Fire away! :hide:
Question for you and this is more directed at wind - would you be willing to pay a higher rate for your supplemental energy from the power company to provide power when the wind isn't blowing? I'll give you an example - retail rates are 8 cents per kwh. Customer installs a wind turbine. The turbine works best at night or off peak when wholesale power rates for the power company are low - say 2-3 cents. During a day like yesterday wholesale rates might be 8-10-12-15 cents per kwh and the wind wasn't blowing so the customer is getting their power for 8 cents per kwh but it might be costing the company 12 cents per kwh. Is that fair to the other customers of the utility? They subsidize the guy with the renewables through a tax credit and they subsidize his electric use too? To a lot of people the power company is the bad guy because they don't want to do that.

Solar is different because at least it should be producing during peak usage hours.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

HI54UNI wrote:
Appaholic wrote:
Question for you and this is more directed at wind - would you be willing to pay a higher rate for your supplemental energy from the power company to provide power when the wind isn't blowing? I'll give you an example - retail rates are 8 cents per kwh. Customer installs a wind turbine. The turbine works best at night or off peak when wholesale power rates for the power company are low - say 2-3 cents. During a day like yesterday wholesale rates might be 8-10-12-15 cents per kwh and the wind wasn't blowing so the customer is getting their power for 8 cents per kwh but it might be costing the company 12 cents per kwh. Is that fair to the other customers of the utility? They subsidize the guy with the renewables through a tax credit and they subsidize his electric use too? To a lot of people the power company is the bad guy because they don't want to do that.

Solar is different because at least it should be producing during peak usage hours.
I think that's reasonable & fair. And all the more reason for people to use multiple sources (solar) to avoid those situations if that's a possibility in your area. But then again, I also think childless couples should not have to pay same tax rate when they have no children in public schools, so I realize my logic is not universally shared by the public....
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

I'm still trying to figure out why people actually live in Iowa..?

:rofl: I couldn't resist
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Chizzang wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why people actually live in Iowa..?

An elitist will never understand. :coffee:

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
pantherclaw
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by pantherclaw »

Chizzang wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why people actually live in Iowa..?

Because in Iowa there are very few trees so there are fewer pinko-commie, tree hugging, Obama blowing liberals around............. :thumb: :D :D :D
GO UNI! GO MVFC! GO COWBOYS! GO METS!
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

pantherclaw wrote:

Because in Iowa there are very few trees so there are fewer pinko-commie, tree hugging, Obama blowing liberals around............. :thumb: :D :D :D
Too bad it went blue in 2008... :coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Just exactly the reaction I was looking for... (thank you)
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Wind Power is Great!

Post by CID1990 »

Wedgebuster wrote:Wind energy option is available through Rocky Mountain Power here, my office is enrolled.
We should enroll CS with all the fvcking hot air here.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Trapped in CA
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Northern Iowa
A.K.A.: UNI Pike

Post by Trapped in CA »

All the bitchin on this board. Pacific gas & electric customers are being forced to move to 30%+ renewables in the not too distant future by CA law. Fairly certain that atom splitting is not allowed in this goal. Or new dams.

Looks like my 30¢ /kw electricity will soon be a fond memory like kegs of beer for $75.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk for one percenters
Morons of the month - October

Looks like certain people on this board finally have a reason to trade in their US Passports

------------------------------

Current OVC football members - 0-21 in FCS playoffs since 1997
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Trapped in CA wrote:All the bitchin on this board. Pacific gas & electric customers are being forced to move to 30%+ renewables in the not too distant future by CA law. Fairly certain that atom splitting is not allowed in this goal. Or new dams.

Looks like my 30¢ /kw electricity will soon be a fond memory like kegs of beer for $75.

Would you like these rates better? :lol:

Residential
First 800 kWh's: $0.054 per kWh
Over 800 kWh's: $0.043 per kWh
Meter Charge: $10.75 per month

Energy Cost Adjustment
An Energy Cost Adjustment (ECA) will be calculated monthly on all energy usage (kWh's) for all customer classes. The ECA is based on a rolling 12-month average of our cost for purchased power.

7/13/12 to 8/14/12 ECA = $0.00771

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Trapped in CA
Level1
Level1

Post by Trapped in CA »

F you. We have a $6.8 billion high-speed rail train (electric) that runs 130 miles from Bakersfield to Madera. Essentially the same as a train that runs from the Quad cities to Cedar Falls Iowa with similar populations.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it .:'(

Looks like certain people on this board finally have a reason to trade in their US Passports

Trapped in CA
Level1
Level1

Post by Trapped in CA »

BTW when I say we have high speed rail, of course I am talking about 2025.

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Chizzang wrote:Just exactly the reaction I was looking for... (thank you)
:roll: :lame:

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire