The Ukraine Crisis

Political discussions
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: The Ukraine Crisis

Post by Skjellyfetti »

We've been through this, but what the hell...

Ousting Shokin wasn't something Biden did unilaterally to save his son. The EU, the World Bank, the IMF wanted Shokin out. As did Republican Senators.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:53 pm We've been through this, but what the hell...

Ousting Shokin wasn't something Biden did unilaterally to save his son. The EU, the World Bank, the IMF wanted Shokin out. As did Republican Senators.
Not according to the document that recently became public...and Russia collusion. That was real too, right?

https://justthenews.com/accountability/ ... asts-doubt
Just months before Joe Biden forced his firing, Ukraine's chief prosecutor was told by U.S. State Department officials that they were "impressed" with his anti-corruption plan and fully supportive of his work, according to newly released memos that cast doubt on a key Democrat impeachment narrative.
But the memos obtained by Just the News and the Southeastern Legal Foundation under a Freedom of Information Act request show senior State Department officials — including then-Secretary of State John Kerry — were sending the opposite message to Shokin the summer before his firing.

"We have been impressed with the ambitious reform and anti-corruption agenda of your government," then-Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Victoria Nuland personally wrote Shokin in an official letter dated June 9, 2015 that was delivered to the prosecutor two days later by then-U.S. Ambassador Geoffrey Pyatt.

Nuland, now President Biden's undersecretary of state, wrote that "Secretary Kerry asked me to reply on his behalf" to let Shokin know he enjoyed the full support of the United States as he set out to fight endemic corruption in the former Soviet republic.

"The ongoing reform of your office, law enforcement, and the judiciary will enable you to investigate and prosecute corruption and other crimes in an effective, fair, and transparent manner," Nuland added. "The United States fully supports your government's efforts to fight corruption and other crimes in an effective, fair and transparent manner."
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:55 pm
If you saw the footage today of the Russians firing for effect with their rocket propelled artillery on several blocks in residential Kharkiv, and you have been as close to live artillery as I have (essentially just beyond the limit of "danger close") at the Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center, you would have no sympathy for any member of the Russian military.

I hope the Ukranians demoralize them, torture them, maim them, kill them in every way imaginable. Fuck them. Firing for effect in a town center on innocents in a non-aggressor nation is completely unforgivable. I couldn't believe what I was seeing for the first couple of seconds, but they fucking did it.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:15 pm
62 percent of voters say Putin wouldn't have invaded Ukraine if Trump were president: poll

A majority of Americans polled — 59 percent — also said they believed that the Russian president moved on Ukraine because Putin saw weakness in President Biden…..
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... trump?rl=1
They were wrong too, evidently. :coffee:

And how about these assclown bandwagon truckers trying to call attention to themselves as victims of tyranny? :ohno:

While women and old men pick up weapons against the most powerful Army on the planet in Kyiv.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I've seen enough Jersey drivers to know that Flaggy would have honked when this guy didn't immediately go on the flashing yellow:

PS. Those are mortar rounds, not artillery as the title states.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:33 pm

And how about these assclown bandwagon truckers trying to call attention to themselves as victims of tyranny? :ohno:

While women and old men pick up weapons against the most powerful Army on the planet in Kyiv.
And I thought I was bad at trolling. Sheesh.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:43 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:03 pm

I'm glad to see you admit that Trump and Biden BOTH tried to extort the Ukrainians. :thumb:
But Biden was successful where Trump failed?
I'd think he'd have a better grasp of how these things are done in polite company and Trump's always been a ham-fisted slob at extortion. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:59 pm
houndawg wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:33 pm

Common knowledge. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:02 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:43 pm
But Biden was successful where Trump failed?
I'd think he'd have a better grasp of how these things are done in polite company and Trump's always been a ham-fisted slob at extortion. :coffee:
A bribe disguised as a consulting fee paid to your son is how things are done in polite company?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:07 pm
houndawg wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:02 pm

A bribe disguised as a consulting fee paid to your son is how things are done in polite company?
Perhaps "polite company" isn't the right phrase..... maybe "among oligarchs"
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:03 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:59 pm

Common knowledge. :coffee:
The truckers aren't going to sleep with you. Give it up.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:43 pm I've seen enough Jersey drivers to know that Flaggy would have honked when this guy didn't immediately go on the flashing yellow:

Might have gotten a middle finger too
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:43 pm I've seen enough Jersey drivers to know that Flaggy would have honked when this guy didn't immediately go on the flashing yellow:

From the video, light mortars, 60 or 81 mm?

Yeah, should have been called a mortar attack, but mortars are a form of artillery, no?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:57 pm

Yeah, should have been called a mortar attack, but mortars are a form of artillery, no?
I don't consider mortars to be artillery. Mortars are man portable. Arty is towed. And that's most likely comm-bloc 82mm. Also a good chance it was fired by the Ukranians. I was talking about this with CID. Unlikely the Ruskies were firing mortar on the move. This was likely a planned intersection hit based on some Intel that a Russian column would be moving through. Mortar fires so high that those rounds were launched well before that car was close to the intersection, probably 15 seconds (or more) earlier. Mortar has an extremely high trajectory. I was always amazed how long those rounds stay in the air, just to hit a target a few hundred meters ahead.

Also, don't ever volunteer to hump an 81 mm base plate.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:50 am Speaking of ‘Go Fuck Yourself’ has it already been posted that the 13 being allegedly killed is now allegedly Fake News?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60554959.amp
:lol: The Meme Wars suffer another tragedy
Ukraine navy has confirmed that it happened, the service members on the island were captured not killed, and they are detained in Crimea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:25 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:16 am This might be the funniest picture I’ve ever seen. Think maybe he’s paranoid about letting anybody get to close for a kill shot?

Shuffleboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Winterborn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I could make that length work. Throw in a tank, 5k rounds of ammo, 1000 gallons of diesel and an all female crew that I get to pick and we would have our-self a deal.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:

60s and 81s are NATO tubes

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:35 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:57 pm

I don't consider mortars to be artillery. Mortars are man portable. Arty is towed. And that's most likely comm-bloc 82mm. Also a good chance it was fired by the Ukranians. I was talking about this with CID. Unlikely the Ruskies were firing mortar on the move. This was likely a planned intersection hit based on some Intel that a Russian column would be moving through. Mortar fires so high that those rounds were launched well before that car was close to the intersection, probably 15 seconds (or more) earlier. Mortar has an extremely high trajectory. I was always amazed how long those rounds stay in the air, just to hit a target a few hundred meters ahead.

Also, don't ever volunteer to hump an 81 mm base plate.
They are what 30ish pounds?

And I like the "whoosh" noise by the driver at the end of that clip. Personally I would have been saying some four letter words.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:46 am
kalm wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:42 am
Sure there were, there was no shortage of people, including Americans, who thought Hitler was a pretty effective leader. Some even went as far as saying he was a good leader. Do we not teach that part of history any longer? :coffee:
Hitler was all over Time magazine as well. I "think" he was man of the year in '38?

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:25 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:16 am This might be the funniest picture I’ve ever seen. Think maybe he’s paranoid about letting anybody get to close for a kill shot?

Shuffleboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Winterborn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:36 am I with AZ.

If Russia gets bogged down and Putin isn't taken out, his logical conclusion is a nuclear strike at Ukraine. I'm not sure how the international community responds if strikes are limited to Ukraine, but I think we're in a situation where one wrong move and this gets out of control.
Agreed.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:44 am
houndawg wrote:
:notworthy:

there's the old Z!

Putin has made a terrible miscalculation and set up Biden for the history books as a great statesman...note that I didn't say he is one, you may be too young to remember The Nearsighted Mr. Magoo but thats whats going to happen here: NATO has never been more unified, even the Dutch, Germans, and Swedes are sending weapons and the final nail will be when Switzerland drops the banking hammer, which I'd wager is going to happen soon. Just like Mr. Magoo walking through a construction site without noticing the half dozen fatal accidents that just missed him Biden will come out looking like fucking Winston Churchill through no fault of his own :rofl:
The only world leader who is going to come out of this as heroic is Zelensky.

Biden and the rest of Europe slow-walked sanctions until popular affinity for Zelensky from their respective constituencies emboldened them - particularly Biden and Macron.

Scholz is the only one who came close to having a spine early on.

Biden could still do something to bolster his image at this point but the fact that he is not on TV literally daily means he’s still doddering old Biden. And Snarky Psaki isn’t helping him at all.

“Let me explain for you how diplomacy works.”

LAWL

Yeah, Biden has been very quiet (because he has a diminished mental capacity) at a crucial time in world history when the POTUS should be front and center leading the way.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:03 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:57 am
So did Biden. The video of Biden bragging about it is pretty damn clear on that.
I'm glad to see you admit that Trump and Biden BOTH tried to extort the Ukrainians. :thumb:
Ukraine is a great grift for the American political elites. Prominent members of parties have kids on some board of Ukrainian company collecting monies for doing nothing. The reason why they are united in trying to drum up support for a war is so that the grift can keep going.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Oh.