Political discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: The Ukraine Crisis

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:10 pm Well, actchually they "at least appear to be somewhat chastened." :rofl:
You're the one who just compared the Haqqani Network to Bin Laden and Al Queda. I was going to let that slide but you just can't help yourself. Given the pinned thread on here that's an homage to your steadfastness in the face of overwhelming facts to the contrary, it's just par for the course for you. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:37 pm
Wrecked Russian fighter jets are being found with rudimentary GPS receivers "taped to the dashboards" in Ukraine because their inbuilt navigation systems are so bad, the UK's defense secretary, Ben Wallace, said.

Speaking at the National Army Museum in London Monday, Wallace commemorated those who died in World War II and called Russia's invasion of Ukraine "senseless and self-defeating."

He added that there was evidence suggesting Russian military hardware was being pushed to breaking point by the invasion of Ukraine.
https://www.businessinsider.com/russia- ... -uk-2022-5

Russian artillery may be some of the best in the world, but their pilots are working with commercial Tom-Tom GPS units taped to the dashboard…
Ukraine has shared abundant evidence of what it says are Russia's attempts to patch over issues with old military equipment and bypass equipment shortages.

Last month, Ukrainian troops paraded what they said was a Russian drone that had been covered in duct tape and fitted with a generic plastic bottle top for a fuel cap. In March, Ukrainian troops found what appeared to be Russian army bandages dating to 1978 discarded on a battlefield.
Their normal stuff is probably being jammed
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:16 pm
Pwns wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:41 am Image
So now we’re worried about military spending? :suspicious:
53+ billion US tax dollars for another country (already passed 13.6 billion aid package in March), yes. :roll:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:14 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:30 am

Ten billion here, 40 billion there, pretty soon we are going to start talking about some serious money. Or do we only start paying attention when it hits a Trillion, the rest is pocket change?
That’s pretty much it. This is one moment in history that supports having a massive military budget and ability to send aid. Even if it is 10% of our annual budget. Freedom ain’t free.
This has nothing to do with American freedom. We shouldn’t be entangling ourselves in European wars..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Paul nails it.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:44 pm
kalm wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:14 am That’s pretty much it. This is one moment in history that supports having a massive military budget and ability to send aid. Even if it is 10% of our annual budget. Freedom ain’t free.
This has nothing to do with American freedom. We shouldn’t be entangling ourselves in European wars..
There is some benefit to the American people in helping to maintain world peace and free trade as well as not pulling a Chamberlain. We don't need to get involved in every pissing match around the globe but isolationism isn't the right approach either.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Good for Rand Paul for blocking the Ukraine package. :clap: I'm sick of sending weapons off with no regard for how they'll be used or what black market they'll eventually end up in. America first. :nod:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:45 pm Paul nails it.
Did he talk about hand delivering a note from Trump to Putin a few years ago? Or Manafort’s business in Russia and Ukraine? Or the coincidence of Oleg Deripaska being mentioned along with this week’s Steve Schmidt tweets regarding McCain’s 70th birthday?

Rand Paul, clearly looking out for the best interests of Western Democracy.
Many have also seen the visuals of Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul hobnobbing in Moscow this week with members of the Russian Council, sometimes called his "counterparts." These included the chairman of the council's foreign policy panel, Konstantin Kosachev, who happens to be under official U.S. sanction for his government's actions against our government.

But that didn't seem to bother Paul, who invited Kosachev and others to visit the USA.

Indeed, this sanction and other tokens of disapproval imposed on Russian officials in the past year have not seemed to chill the enduring warmth between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Trump. Paul carried a handwritten note from Trump to Putin on his trip.

This week, in a related trial in federal court, former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort has been shown to have extensive entanglements with Russians. These include debts to Oleg Deripaska, a member of Putin's inner circle of associates, who has sued him and his former associate Rick Gates for $25 million.

Giuliani: New Offer To Mueller May Be 'Last, Best Chance' For Trump Interview
NATIONAL SECURITY
How seriously should we take any of this?

Some are asking whether Manafort's exposure to Russian pressure and influence might be a reflection of Trump's own. That spurs a defensive reaction from the presidents' staunchest supporters, such as the guys in the T-shirts, who may regard it all as a kind of joke. Or perhaps it was just their way of trolling the world or letting us know how much they disliked the Democrats. And if seeing that message was also a hoot for Putin, so be it.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:52 am I was reading somewhere that as of right now, it'll take at least a year to restock the number of Javelin weapons we've given to Ukraine so far, and likely longer to replace the Stinger missiles since there's not even an active manufacturing line to produce those. I'm not negating that these loans to the Ukrainians have been both useful and necessary - thwarting evil isn't free. Any chance that China is just biding its time until our arsenal is pretty depleted and then making their move on Taiwan? Granted, the Javelin's won't really protect Taiwan, can't see China landing tons of tanks there, but the Stingers would be important. Again granted, CID always said Taiwan wouldn't last very long anyway if China really committed to it, but it does feel vulnerable to be using up our stock of weapons in one fight when another fight could be brewing in the relative short future.
Posted an article a while back on this. A lot of the Western/NATO countries have depleted a good amount of their stockpiles via the Ukraine War. The article questioned if another war broke out or that those countries needed those weapons to defend themselves, how would that demand be filled. Very interesting.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:20 pm This is the voice I read SD and SG’s Ukraine posts in…

:lol:

And these concerns are valid. It's one thing to drop money on a corrupt government when times are good, it's another when a recession is looming and there are plenty of domestic issues at hand. As I've said before, it's a Uniparty when it comes to warmongering.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:36 pm Yeah, I knew that our adventure there is what you were talking about. I think the 80s is more analogous to this, though. We had over 2k soldiers die in Afghanistan for nothing.

Despite what SD is convinced of - no one serious wants US boots on the ground. And I don't believe we'll see 2k deaths in Ukraine. Blood is more important that treasure, imo. and whatever $$ we lost in Afghanistan, the human toll makes it far worse.
I've literally posted a handful of congresscritters calling for more US involvement. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:54 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:44 pm
There is some benefit to the American people in helping to maintain world peace and free trade as well as not pulling a Chamberlain. We don't need to get involved in every pissing match around the globe but isolationism isn't the right approach either.
WRT to Ukraine I think it is. What do we have to gain in this proxy war other than more kickbacks for the corrupt politicians in DC and Ukraine? You really think our "freedom and democracy" hinges on this war? :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:51 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:45 pm Paul nails it.
Did he talk about hand delivering a note from Trump to Putin a few years ago? Or Manafort’s business in Russia and Ukraine? Or the coincidence of Oleg Deripaska being mentioned along with this week’s Steve Schmidt tweets regarding McCain’s 70th birthday?

Many have also seen the visuals of Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul hobnobbing in Moscow this week with members of the Russian Council, sometimes called his "counterparts." These included the chairman of the council's foreign policy panel, Konstantin Kosachev, who happens to be under official U.S. sanction for his government's actions against our government.

But that didn't seem to bother Paul, who invited Kosachev and others to visit the USA.

Indeed, this sanction and other tokens of disapproval imposed on Russian officials in the past year have not seemed to chill the enduring warmth between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Trump. Paul carried a handwritten note from Trump to Putin on his trip.

This week, in a related trial in federal court, former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort has been shown to have extensive entanglements with Russians. These include debts to Oleg Deripaska, a member of Putin's inner circle of associates, who has sued him and his former associate Rick Gates for $25 million.

NATIONAL SECURITY
How seriously should we take any of this?

Some are asking whether Manafort's exposure to Russian pressure and influence might be a reflection of Trump's own. That spurs a defensive reaction from the presidents' staunchest supporters, such as the guys in the T-shirts, who may regard it all as a kind of joke. Or perhaps it was just their way of trolling the world or letting us know how much they disliked the Democrats. And if seeing that message was also a hoot for Putin, so be it.
I forgot about that time when Russia invaded Ukraine when Trump was POTUS. Thanks for clearing that up for us.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:42 pm
kalm wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:16 pm

So now we’re worried about military spending? :suspicious:
53+ billion US tax dollars for another country (already passed 13.6 billion aid package in March), yes. :roll:
"...fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here..."?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:23 pm

I forgot about that time when Russia invaded Ukraine when Trump was POTUS. Thanks for clearing that up for us.
When you want to change the subject custom dictates that you start your own thread. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:22 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:54 pm

WRT to Ukraine I think it is. What do we have to gain in this proxy war other than more kickbacks for the corrupt politicians in DC and Ukraine? You really think our "freedom and democracy" hinges on this war? :lol:
:? ....kickbacks are why wars are fought, SD/SG; where tf you been all your life?

Don't you realize how much money we're going to make, and Russia is going to lose, in arms sales, for decades?

One of our two main opponets on the world-stage is getting their ass handed to them and we get to share in the credit without losing any troops. And going forward, long term, the two of us will dominate the world's food supply, which is our real weapon, even more than nukes.

Our other main antagonist needs to see what happens when a super-power finally has enough from an ankle-biting yapper and carefully consider if they want to pick a fight with a US-armed Taiwan.

Your pussy liberal act is the biggest flip flop this site has ever seen, including JSO's transitioning.... you and all these flag-waving MAGA cunts calling everyone communists while they've been enraptured by a Russian midget they have nothing in common with but race. :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Putin worried he Trump might mistake Russia for Mexico and launch secret, undetectable Patriot missiles…after, of course he nuked the Chinese hurricane gun fired storms.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:20 pm This is the voice I read SD and SG’s Ukraine posts in…

:rofl:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:34 am

Putin worried he Trump might mistake Russia for Mexico and launch secret, undetectable Patriot missiles…after, of course he nuked the Chinese hurricane gun fired storms.
Putin had to consider that things could escalate to Jewish Space Lasers if he miscalculated, that could be all that saved us..... Mazel Tough
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Cell phones…everyone carries on these days…and as the Russians have been learning in Ukraine, that can be deadly
The Ukrainians claim to have killed 12 general Russian officers since late February, in part because the Russians have resorted to using cell phones when their communications systems break down.

“It is not hard to geo-locate someone on a phone talking in the clear,” retired Army Gen. Ben Hodges, former commander of U.S. Army Europe, told the New York Times.

When Russian troops cross into Ukraine, their cell phones emit a roaming signal that connects to Ukraine’s cellular network, allowing the Ukrainians to triangulate where the Russians are by using the closest three cell towers, said Artem Starosiek, CEO of Molfar, an open-source intelligence community based in Kyiv.
https://taskandpurpose.com/analysis/rus ... ck-combat/
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:22 pm Cell phones…everyone carries on these days…and as the Russians have been learning in Ukraine, that can be deadly
The Ukrainians claim to have killed 12 general Russian officers since late February, in part because the Russians have resorted to using cell phones when their communications systems break down.

“It is not hard to geo-locate someone on a phone talking in the clear,” retired Army Gen. Ben Hodges, former commander of U.S. Army Europe, told the New York Times.

When Russian troops cross into Ukraine, their cell phones emit a roaming signal that connects to Ukraine’s cellular network, allowing the Ukrainians to triangulate where the Russians are by using the closest three cell towers, said Artem Starosiek, CEO of Molfar, an open-source intelligence community based in Kyiv.
:nod:

1). It became apparent early on that this war was being waged to an astonishing degree with social media and (cell phone) data versus just bombs and artillery.

2). Generals and Putin are boomers (no offense Colonel) which increases the chances of miscalculating/under appreciating the impact of tech. Even with younger more tech savvy advisors but who were also trained to be yes-men.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:03 pm
Col Hogan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:22 pm Cell phones…everyone carries on these days…and as the Russians have been learning in Ukraine, that can be deadly

1). It became apparent early on that this war was being waged to an astonishing degree with social media and (cell phone) data versus just bombs and artillery.

2). Generals and Putin are boomers (no offense Colonel) which increases the chances of miscalculating/under appreciating the impact of tech. Even with younger more tech savvy advisors but who were also trained to be yes-men.
So are you just assuming the Ukrainian military is run by a bunch of Gen X’ers? :suspicious:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

No, most of the generals (mid 40-50s) are Gen X.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:32 pm

No, most of the generals (mid 40-50s) are Gen X.
The top 3 in leadership are all boomers.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

US asks for a cease fire. Very interesting. As usual, no way of knowing the truth, but the rumors of NATO officials being trapt with Ukraine fighters in Azovstal seem to be coming true.

When France first asks for special concessions and now the US asking for ceasefire smells of something important inside.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz