Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Thank you coal!

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:05 pm Porsche says its synthetic fuel will make internal combustion as clean as EVs
In a recent interview with Evo magazine, Porsche VP of Motorsport and GT cars, Dr. Frank Walliser, says that synthetic fuels, also called eFuels, can reduce the carbon dioxide emissions of existing ICE cars by as much as 85 percent. And, he says, when you account for the wheel-to-well impact of manufacturing the EV, it's a wash.
Reminds me, the Germans were the 1st to come up with synthetic fuels back in the early 1900s with the conversion of coal to synthetic fuel. Prior to the outbreak of WW II, the krauts had plenty of domestic coal, but almost all their oil had to be imported. To fuel the NAZI war machine, they used synthetic oil, gas, rubber, etc..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

This would have been very bad. Would have likely resulted in a complete blackout in ERCOT. Would have taken days or even weeks to get power back everywhere. And to be clear this isn't a failure of nuclear power - it was too much load and not enough generation to cover it. The plant's safety features start to kick in to make sure the plant isn't damaged.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:43 am This would have been very bad. Would have likely resulted in a complete blackout in ERCOT. Would have taken days or even weeks to get power back everywhere. And to be clear this isn't a failure of nuclear power - it was too much load and not enough generation to cover it. The plant's safety features start to kick in to make sure the plant isn't damaged.
Difference being, 3 days later it was 80 degrees here. So, “no power” is a relative thing, depending on the weather....would have sucked to be without power for an extended period (beyond the extended period we were ALREADY without power), but it’s a whole different thing when it’s 9 degrees versus 80.

We went through the worst 48 hours (temp wise) with exactly 3 minutes and 36 seconds of power. Not sure how much worse the nuke plant going offline could have made it, other than extending the outages beyond the terminus of the storm....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:46 am
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:43 am This would have been very bad. Would have likely resulted in a complete blackout in ERCOT. Would have taken days or even weeks to get power back everywhere. And to be clear this isn't a failure of nuclear power - it was too much load and not enough generation to cover it. The plant's safety features start to kick in to make sure the plant isn't damaged.
Difference being, 3 days later it was 80 degrees here. So, “no power” is a relative thing, depending on the weather....would have sucked to be without power for an extended period (beyond the extended period we were ALREADY without power), but it’s a whole different thing when it’s 9 degrees versus 80.

We went through the worst 48 hours (temp wise) with exactly 3 minutes and 36 seconds of power. Not sure how much worse the nuke plant going offline could have made it, other than extending the outages beyond the terminus of the storm....
All true but a grid black start would be very bad. Nobody has power in the state. Potentially days before anybody gets power back. And potentially weeks before everybody does.

Article about how everything unfolded.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... f=5dj0X2VO
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:46 am

Apples and oranges I know but back in '97 we went almost two full weeks without power during one of the worst winters on record. Had a kerosene heater and propane oven for heat. Made a big fort in the living room and we all slept there. Chopped a hole in the slough to get water for the cattle (had about 50 head) and melted snow to fill 5 gallon buckets with water so we could flush the toilets once a day and only did #2 when we absolutely had to in the house. All our perishables were moved outside so they could stay frozen.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

The California electric grid operator has requested that the Dept. of Energy issue an order allowing certain natural gas plants to operate for the next 60 days without environmental permit restrictions because they are afraid they can't keep the lights on without these plants running. DOE issued a similar order in Texas in February but it was for a week. Requesting 60 days is unheard of.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:19 am The California electric grid operator has requested that the Dept. of Energy issue an order allowing certain natural gas plants to operate for the next 60 days without environmental permit restrictions because they are afraid they can't keep the lights on without these plants running. DOE issued a similar order in Texas in February but it was for a week. Requesting 60 days is unheard of.
:lol:

I keep getting "flex your power" notices from our electric utility and completely ignore them.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:19 am The California electric grid operator has requested that the Dept. of Energy issue an order allowing certain natural gas plants to operate for the next 60 days without environmental permit restrictions because they are afraid they can't keep the lights on without these plants running. DOE issued a similar order in Texas in February but it was for a week. Requesting 60 days is unheard of.
Operate gas and coal plants without environmental restrictions, but outlaw gas-powered cars by 2025.

Fucking brilliant governance there.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Europe is in the midst of a huge energy mess. Oil and nat gas prices are sky high. They are looking for coal.
Nat gas prices are affecting the manufacture of fertilizer that is needed for growing food.

Pass the popcorn. :popcorn:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:23 am Europe is in the midst of a huge energy mess. Oil and nat gas prices are sky high. They are looking for coal.
Nat gas prices are affecting the manufacture of fertilizer that is needed for growing food.

Natural gas is the highest price in the US since 2008. Part of it is the amount that is being exported to Europe right now. Storage inventories are the lowest they've been in 5 years. If you heat with natural gas expect your bills to double this winter compared to last year.

But the solar panels, wind turbines, batteries, and unicorns will save us. :ohno:

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:23 am Europe is in the midst of a huge energy mess. Oil and nat gas prices are sky high. They are looking for coal.

I friggin LOVE popcorn. I'm not sure of the quantity...but 4 lb bags don't last a month in my house. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:53 am

Natural gas is the highest price in the US since 2008. Part of it is the amount that is being exported to Europe right now. Storage inventories are the lowest they've been in 5 years. If you heat with natural gas expect your bills to double this winter compared to last year.

But the solar panels, wind turbines, batteries, and unicorns will save us. :ohno:
What's a high price for natural gas?

I'm in the South and use gas for the water heater and furnace (and within a year, fireplace)
My September Bill - $18.45

Consumption - 11.352 therms x $.876200 = $18.45

January/February are my highest bills
128.750 therms x $.908100 = $116.92

Is $.87-$.90/therm high?

Also - base rate of $8.50
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

The price of nat gas in the US is twice the price in Canada now. If only we had more pipeli............
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:20 am

I'm in the South and use gas for the water heater and furnace (and within a year, fireplace)

Is $.87-$.90/therm high?

1 therm = 0.1 MMBTU
Yesterday natural gas closed at $5.76/MMBTU. Current trading price as I type this is $6.30. A year ago today the closing price was $2.61.
European natural gas prices are $18-22/MMBTU. A year ago it was around $4.00.

The price you are paying would be 8.76-$9.08/MMBTU but likely includes part of the cost of delivery as well.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:39 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:20 am

Is $.87-$.90/therm high?

1 therm = 0.1 MMBTU
Yesterday natural gas closed at $5.76/MMBTU. Current trading price as I type this is $6.30. A year ago today the closing price was $2.61.
European natural gas prices are $18-22/MMBTU. A year ago it was around $4.00.

The price you are paying would be 8.76-$9.08/MMBTU but likely includes part of the cost of delivery as well.
Wow. That is high. Thanks HI
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Here you go ...

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:03 am

I friggin LOVE popcorn. I'm not sure of the quantity...but 4 lb bags don't last a month in my house. :lol:
I pop my own with corn oil. Orville Redenbachers and Mazola. Add some salt, or sometimes Old Bay, and I'm ready for some couching.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:28 am

The price of nat gas in the US is twice the price in Canada now. If only we had more pipeli............
Yep, we should be laying some serious pipe. But Biden’s handlers tell him to say no.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:50 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:03 am

I pop my own with corn oil. Orville Redenbachers and Mazola. Add some salt, or sometimes Old Bay, and I'm ready for some couching.
Same here (actually eating some as we speak). I use coconut oil for some added sweetness and some salt. I'll have to try the Old Bay; occasionally I'll use Sriracha Salt. :thumb:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

To build upon Flaggy's post.
NatGas is the main component in producing ammonia nitrate and urea (fertilizer). And it is at the highest price in over a decade ($700/ton as of end of September, up 62% over last year). This impacts food production at all levels and the overall cost of anything corn, wheat, and soybean related as well. There are also plants sutting down to the high Nat Gas prices in the UK and that will drive up prices even more. And this will affect production here in the States as well as farmers switch some crops over to less fertilizer intensive crops.

Going to need more than popcorn to stay warm in the EU this winter.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2021/10/06/ ... er-n420638
ESG stands for Environmental, Social and Governance. It’s basically a way to factor environmentalism, equity and other progressive goals into market decisions about investing. So what Blain is arguing here is that, while well intentioned, the focus on meeting ESG goals has created a looming disaster this winter for Europe, one which he predicts will have a body count. [Emphasis in original.]

The brutal reality is we can’t decarbonise the global economy overnight. Over 30 years.. perhaps! Through the transition period we will still need power and energy derived from the old dirty hydrocarbons. Powering up EVs, making the fuel for hydrogen planes and trains, will all require hydrocarbon derived energy. That’s fact…

ESG has evolved into a religion, a high church of environmental orthodoxy. Its heretical to suggest ESG can’t work unless we evolve towards a cleaner energy ecosystem by continuing to burn hydrocarbons. A crisis this way comes: for all the posts on Linked-In boasting about green investments, or the industry awards for Green Bond of the year, or the multitude of certificates one can earn on ESG investments – it will all count for nothing this winter.

This winter – people are going to die of cold.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:35 am

NatGas is the main component in producing ammonia nitrate and urea (fertilizer). And it is at the highest price in over a decade ($700/ton as of end of September, up 62% over last year). This impacts food production at all levels and the overall cost of anything corn, wheat, and soybean related as well. There are also plants sutting down to the high Nat Gas prices in the UK and that will drive up prices even more. And this will affect production here in the States as well as farmers switch some crops over to less fertilizer intensive crops.

ESG stands for Environmental, Social and Governance. It’s basically a way to factor environmentalism, equity and other progressive goals into market decisions about investing. So what Blain is arguing here is that, while well intentioned, the focus on meeting ESG goals has created a looming disaster this winter for Europe, one which he predicts will have a body count. [Emphasis in original.]

The brutal reality is we can’t decarbonise the global economy overnight. Over 30 years.. perhaps! Through the transition period we will still need power and energy derived from the old dirty hydrocarbons. Powering up EVs, making the fuel for hydrogen planes and trains, will all require hydrocarbon derived energy. That’s fact…

ESG has evolved into a religion, a high church of environmental orthodoxy. Its heretical to suggest ESG can’t work unless we evolve towards a cleaner energy ecosystem by continuing to burn hydrocarbons. A crisis this way comes: for all the posts on Linked-In boasting about green investments, or the industry awards for Green Bond of the year, or the multitude of certificates one can earn on ESG investments – it will all count for nothing this winter.

This winter – people are going to die of cold.
A large electric coop has been told by a major investment bank that they will no longer do business with them beginning next year due to ESG factors, i.e. they have too much coal generation in their portfolio. What's interesting is who owns several large utility companies and doesn't need the banks or their millennial ESG bullshit - Berkshire Hathaway. Does this give Buffet leverage to buy more utility companies if they can't get financing or buy insurance (that's the other way ESG will get you)?

I was at a conference this summer and a speaker from a large finance organization was talking about ESG and how utilities are screwed if they don't bow down to the cult. The next speaker was from Berkshire and he said the previous speaker is full of shit - we don't need their stinking money and will be just fine.

And as you noted - people are going to die this winter because of this stupidity.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:22 pm

A large electric coop has been told by a major investment bank that they will no longer do business with them beginning next year due to ESG factors, i.e. they have too much coal generation in their portfolio. What's interesting is who owns several large utility companies and doesn't need the banks or their millennial ESG bullshit - Berkshire Hathaway. Does this give Buffet leverage to buy more utility companies if they can't get financing or buy insurance (that's the other way ESG will get you)?

I was at a conference this summer and a speaker from a large finance organization was talking about ESG and how utilities are screwed if they don't bow down to the cult. The next speaker was from Berkshire and he said the previous speaker is full of shit - we don't need their stinking money and will be just fine.

And as you noted - people are going to die this winter because of this stupidity.
Warren Buffet is no dummy. :coffee:

I wonder how long it lasts when people are freezing in their homes or get the power/gas shutoff in their house. People are going to go to burning whatever they can get a hold of, aka wood, and guess what is large CO2 producer?

ESG and the whole green movement can go suck start a loaded 12 gauge.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Will probably be blamed on the China Virus.

So glad CA doesn't have energy issues. :chair:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:26 pm

Good thing you live in warm state.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:42 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:26 pm

Good thing you live in warm state.
Truth. Coldest it gets here in the Central Valley is when it dips into the low 30's at night.