Self driving cars on murderous rampage...

Political discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Self driving cars on murderous rampage...

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:
89Hen wrote: They are all around DC area with the exception of Carmax.
Jeezus Titty F8cking Christ - you're play stupid right..?

Warren F-Stain Buffett owns a 10 state wide car dealership network and it's only large enough to rank 5th
among Dealership Networks

"There is almost NOTHING local about selling cars in America

:shock:
Meh, you need new shtick for 2016. You can't troll worth a shit these days. :thumbdown:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Jeezus Titty F8cking Christ - you're play stupid right..?

Warren F-Stain Buffett owns a 10 state wide car dealership network and it's only large enough to rank 5th
among Dealership Networks

"There is almost NOTHING local about selling cars in America

:shock:
Meh, you need new shtick for 2016. You can't troll worth a shit these days. :thumbdown:

Those are just the facts... I posted
nothing more except the insults and smug prickishness as an added bonus

:kisswink:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
Well, brick and mortar doesn't necessarily mean local. Walmart is brick and mortar.
Sure, but other than Carmax, most brick and mortar car dealers are local. Some have a few locations, but are still local. When was the last time you played in a golf outing that didn't have a local car dealer sponsor something? I personally know three car dealers. They are all local guys.

BTW Walmart employs a LOT of local people in areas where there aren't many other jobs. I'm sure you don't hate that too?
The biggest car dealership in the Charleston area, is on the Auto Mile (where he occupies the entire mile if not more now), is owned by a guy name Rick Hendrix. He has around 9 or 10 different dealerships, 6th Largest Car dealership in the country. Sure, there are a lot of local lots around here and there are a few people like Stokes or Baker who are local and have a few different dealerships. But the king around here isn't local at all.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
89Hen wrote: Why do liberals hate locally owned businesses?
Silly rabbit, car dealerships aren't locally owned anymore.
They exist. Like I said, there are many around here that are locally owned. But the biggest dealerships, are owned by people like Rick Hendricks.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:
89Hen wrote: Meh, you need new shtick for 2016. You can't troll worth a shit these days. :thumbdown:

Those are just the facts... I posted
nothing more except the insults and smug prickishness as an added bonus

:kisswink:
Those are less than a quarter of the facts, so yeah. You posted shit.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:
89Hen wrote: Sure, but other than Carmax, most brick and mortar car dealers are local. Some have a few locations, but are still local. When was the last time you played in a golf outing that didn't have a local car dealer sponsor something? I personally know three car dealers. They are all local guys.

BTW Walmart employs a LOT of local people in areas where there aren't many other jobs. I'm sure you don't hate that too?
The biggest car dealership in the Charleston area, is on the Auto Mile (where he occupies the entire mile if not more now), is owned by a guy name Rick Hendrix. He has around 9 or 10 different dealerships, 6th Largest Car dealership in the country. Sure, there are a lot of local lots around here and there are a few people like Stokes or Baker who are local and have a few different dealerships. But the king around here isn't local at all.
That's great. And around here nearly all of the dealerships are locally owned. Some are big like Darcars who has a bunch of dealerships around DC, but John Darvish is a local guy. Fitzgerald auto group (Jack Fitzgerald), Koons, Ourisman, Sport... all locally owned.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
That's great. And around here nearly all of the dealerships are locally owned. Some are big like Darcars who has a bunch of dealerships around DC, but John Darvish is a local guy. Fitzgerald auto group (Jack Fitzgerald), Koons, Ourisman, Sport... all locally owned.
Quarter of the facts..?
To respond to your 1/50th of the facts

less than a third of US New Car dealers are locally owned...

:nod:

Lobby groups and political pet state franchise laws killed the local dealer
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:
89Hen wrote: That's great. And around here nearly all of the dealerships are locally owned. Some are big like Darcars who has a bunch of dealerships around DC, but John Darvish is a local guy. Fitzgerald auto group (Jack Fitzgerald), Koons, Ourisman, Sport... all locally owned.
Quarter of the facts..?

Stick to ironing. :coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Quarter of the facts..?

Stick to ironing. :coffee:
Yeah...
all my New Car dealers are locally owned, except for 67% of them

:coffee:

Iron that...
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

89Hen wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

So a person in Virginia owning dozens of dealerships in Maryland, Delaware, etc is still local to Maryland?
:thumb:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

dbackjon wrote:
89Hen wrote: That's great. And around here nearly all of the dealerships are locally owned. Some are big like Darcars who has a bunch of dealerships around DC, but John Darvish is a local guy. Fitzgerald auto group (Jack Fitzgerald), Koons, Ourisman, Sport... all locally owned.

So a person in Virginia owning dozens of dealerships in Maryland, Delaware, etc is still local to Maryland?
John,
He's already shown he has no clue what he's talking about...

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Chizzy - next time you want to buy a new Ford pickup let me know. Our Ford dealership is locally owned and it's the only dealership he owns.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

HI54UNI wrote:Chizzy - next time you want to buy a new Ford pickup let me know. Our Ford dealership is locally owned and it's the only dealership he owns.
He's a dying breed...
But I'll tell you what

I bet he gets an offer almost every day from the giant chain dealerships !!!

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Chizzang wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:Chizzy - next time you want to buy a new Ford pickup let me know. Our Ford dealership is locally owned and it's the only dealership he owns.
He's a dying breed...
But I'll tell you what

I don't know about the big chains but I know Ford offered him a chunk of change one time and they would've shut it down. The automakers don't like the dealerships in small towns and want to force us to go to the bigger chain dealerships in the cities. :ohno:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
He's a dying breed...
But I'll tell you what

I don't know about the big chains but I know Ford offered him a chunk of change one time and they would've shut it down. The automakers don't like the dealerships in small towns and want to force us to go to the bigger chain dealerships in the cities. :ohno:

Small town USA has taken a beating over the past half century. Deregulation has also played a part especially regarding transportation and now, perhaps, telecommunications....
In recent years, Congress has promulgated major legislation designed to reform the regulatory environment for the passenger transportation industry. These statutes include the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978, and the Bus Regulatory Reform Act of 1982. Almost two decades before these legislative measures of relatively recent vintage, Congress enacted the Transportation Act of 1958 which significantly liberalized the ability of railroads to respond to market forces, and discontinue passenger service.

This comprehensive legislative agenda, coupled with the presidential appointment of individuals fervently dedicated to market theory to head the regulatory agencies (i.e.. the Interstate Commerce Commission [ICC], the Civil Aeronautics Board [C AB], and the Department of transportation [DOT]), has meant that deregulation has swept through this industry rather more comprehensively than it would have had less ideological agency heads been in charge of its implementation.

Any responsible effort to develop prudent public policy with respect to an industry as important to the nation's economy as transportation must attempt objectively to assess the costs and benefits of the new legislative environment. Various forms of deregulation have had now about a decade to run their course (and rail passenger liberalization has had three). It would seem, then, to be an appropriate time to reflect on the impact of deregulation, not only upon the industries which have been deregulated, but also upon those members of the traveling public who rely upon their services. Unfortunately, the literature criticizing the previous regime of regulation, and applauding the benefits of deregulation, tends to gloss over one of deregulation's major costs - its impact upon individuals who reside in America's small towns and rural communities.
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=2235339" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course there's also the Walmart effect and bank consolidation. A ton of the wealth has taken flight to the coasts and financial centers. Perhaps it's inevitable, but it doesn't seem like a positive.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

This comprehensive legislative agenda, coupled with the presidential appointment of individuals fervently dedicated to market theory to head the regulatory agencies (i.e.. the Interstate Commerce Commission [ICC], the Civil Aeronautics Board [C AB], and the Department of transportation [DOT]), has meant that deregulation has swept through this industry rather more comprehensively than it would have had less ideological agency heads been in charge of its implementation.
That paragraph right there tells you the author is not objective. You can tell that by the use of modifiers such as "fervently" and "ideological." It's an editorial, not an objective treatise. Editorials are fine. But you need to recognize them as editorials.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
That paragraph right there tells you the author is not objective. You can tell that by the use of modifiers such as "fervently" and "ideological." It's an editorial, not an objective treatise. Editorials are fine. But you need to recognize them as editorials.
That's fine, it was my first hit on a broad subject.

But do you disagree? Please show how deregulation and consolidation of financials has helped Small Town, USA.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote:

Yes. Sorry you don't understand small states. :coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Yes. Sorry you don't understand small states. :coffee:

:rofl:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

http://www.businessinsider.com/lawyers- ... rs-2015-12
When, in the near future, a driverless car gets into an accident with another driverless car, it's going to be difficult to establish who is at fault. Is it the "driver," the car company, or even the programmer?

But what's not hard to establish is who will likely benefit: lawyers.

Bloomberg interviewed plaintiff's lawyers and described them as "salivating” over the potential paydays from driverless cars.

“You're going to get a whole host of new defendants,” Kevin Dean, an attorney suing General Motors over its faulty ignition switches, told Bloomberg. “Computer programmers, computer companies, designers of algorithms, Google, mapping companies, even states. It's going to be very fertile ground for lawyers.”
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/lawyers- ... rs-2015-12
When, in the near future, a driverless car gets into an accident with another driverless car, it's going to be difficult to establish who is at fault. Is it the "driver," the car company, or even the programmer?

But what's not hard to establish is who will likely benefit: lawyers.

Bloomberg interviewed plaintiff's lawyers and described them as "salivating” over the potential paydays from driverless cars.

“You're going to get a whole host of new defendants,” Kevin Dean, an attorney suing General Motors over its faulty ignition switches, told Bloomberg. “Computer programmers, computer companies, designers of algorithms, Google, mapping companies, even states. It's going to be very fertile ground for lawyers.”

So I can't tell if you think this is bad or good...
America was designed and built by Lawyers for Lawyers - it is who we are...
None of this should be "news" to anybody that understand what America is

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:

Posted because I've been saying for a while that litigation is what is going to prevent driverless cars from happening any time soon. I'm telling you, what insurance company is going to underwriter this? The only chance is for the US Gov to do it.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

89Hen wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

Posted because I've been saying for a while that litigation is what is going to prevent driverless cars from happening any time soon. I'm telling you, what insurance company is going to underwriter this? The only chance is for the US Gov to do it.
this

once the lawyers get ahold of these things its game over

someone forgets we live in a country where you have to put warning labels on coffee
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

89Hen wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
Are you trying to criticize SpaceX or Google's self-driving cars? Because those are two completely separate and unrelated things. :suspicious:
:ohno: I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who didn't read the thread, and then questions the manner in which I debate it.

Excellent job of appropriating that quote! :thumb:

:lol:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?