Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Brexit Thread

Post by houndawg »

POD Knows wrote:
kalm wrote:
*?

1). I'm not pretending to be smart. I have a Rec Mgmt. degree from a directional school.

2). That's MISTER Doucebag to you.
Nah, you pretend to be smart but I am getting bored with this site so I think I will dedicate my time to trolling your posts, correcting your spelling errors, correcting your nonfactual posts even though you rarely cite facts. I will reply to each and every one of your posts with the same pithy, irrelevant, smart ass comments that you have mastered on this site and some others.

You will be my special project until I get bored.

BTW, I spelled douchebag wrong in my other post, why didn't you catch that one. I left it there for you, it was low hanging fruit.
That's all well and good and totally acceptable behavior here. The problem is that you aren't very good at it.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

houndawg wrote:
OL FU wrote:
Then I apologize. Probably read it and then jumped to the conclusion that this was like other threads where clearly it was said that Reagan was a net tax increaser :oops:
Don't go soft on me now....
:) Nah, somethings are worth arguing about, somethings aren't :)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
POD Knows wrote:
Nah, you pretend to be smart but I am getting bored with this site so I think I will dedicate my time to trolling your posts, correcting your spelling errors, correcting your nonfactual posts even though you rarely cite facts. I will reply to each and every one of your posts with the same pithy, irrelevant, smart ass comments that you have mastered on this site and some others.

BTW, I spelled douchebag wrong in my other post, why didn't you catch that one. I left it there for you, it was low hanging fruit.
Well I'm truly flattered... :oops:

But I already have CID1990 to do this for me.
POD has a boy crush. :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
POD Knows
I am a fan of: NDSU Bison
A.K.A.: POD Knows

Post by POD Knows »

Ibanez wrote:
POD Knows wrote:
Agreements aren't worth the paper that they are printed on because governments are not trustworthy but it makes guys like you feel good. Countries that traded with each other also warred with each other, alliances like the EU, League of Nations, the UN and the rest are useless. History proves this, isn't that ironic but predictable.
I see the problem here...you can't divorce fact from opinion.
"Divorce fact from opinion", since when does anybody on this board do that. There are no facts, it is all opinion.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

OL FU wrote:PS, for all the discussion of the entire story, one of the things that today's republicans seem to forget, which they need to remember, was that Reagan for all his rhetoric was pragmatic. Take what you can get even if you have to give a little in return.
Excellent point OL FU. It amazes me how many current politicians (and voters) seem to think they are better off by insisting on 100% their way (and getting nothing passed in congress) rather than giving up 20% to get 80% of their program passed (made up numbers for %'s).

This is why we still talk about Reagan - he was able to get a substantial portion of his programs adopted. Even though he lost a few battles, he won the war. Politics is a longer term game, where you need to swing the pendulum to your side rather than expect to adopt your entire platform lock, stock and barrel.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Well I'm truly flattered... :oops:

But I already have CID1990 to do this for me.
...I've never seen him and JBB on here at the same time.... :suspicious:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

catbooster wrote:
OL FU wrote:PS, for all the discussion of the entire story, one of the things that today's republicans seem to forget, which they need to remember, was that Reagan for all his rhetoric was pragmatic. Take what you can get even if you have to give a little in return.
Excellent point OL FU. It amazes me how many current politicians (and voters) seem to think they are better off by insisting on 100% their way (and getting nothing passed in congress) rather than giving up 20% to get 80% of their program passed (made up numbers for %'s).

This is why we still talk about Reagan - he was able to get a substantial portion of his programs adopted. Even though he lost a few battles, he won the war. Politics is a longer term game, where you need to swing the pendulum to your side rather than expect to adopt your entire platform lock, stock and barrel.
Agreed, and it's not just a GOP flaw, but it is a flaw on the other side of the aisle for the Dems too. Everything has to be completely their way or things don't get done. No room for compromise when you tar and feather the opposition as either in league with Satan or Hitler or both.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote:
catbooster wrote: Excellent point OL FU. It amazes me how many current politicians (and voters) seem to think they are better off by insisting on 100% their way (and getting nothing passed in congress) rather than giving up 20% to get 80% of their program passed (made up numbers for %'s).

Agreed, and it's not just a GOP flaw, but it is a flaw on the other side of the aisle for the Dems too. Everything has to be completely their way or things don't get done. No room for compromise when you tar and feather the opposition as either in league with Satan or Hitler or both.
And then have drinks with them after "work".
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

houndawg wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Not since Reagan/Tip O'Neill.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

houndawg wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I've heard that those days are gone. The acrimony is too rich.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I've heard that those days are gone. The acrimony is too rich.
I wouldn't know, I was told by a young fellow we met who was biking across the country. He is a former staff assistant of some sort.
BisonFan02
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: North Dakota State
A.K.A.: Bisontownmocks

Post by BisonFan02 »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I can confirm POD and JBB are not the same guy... :mrgreen:
Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Post by Brock Landers »

POD Knows wrote:
kalm wrote:
*?

1). I'm not pretending to be smart. I have a Rec Mgmt. degree from a directional school.

2). That's MISTER Doucebag to you.

:rofl:

This guy came here to make waves, but instead got himself all worked up. Job well done CS.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

houndawg wrote:
89Hen wrote:Wisdom comes with age... except in the case of JSO, then it's senility comes with age.
Guy has been here forever, finally makes a good point after years of trying, and you call him "senile"..... :ohno:
Kind of like double posting.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Brock Landers wrote:
POD Knows wrote:

:rofl:

This guy came here to make waves, but instead got himself all worked up. Job well done CS.
That boy was eat up with the dumbass. :ohno:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I'm pretty sure JBB was strangled to death by D1B in a BDSM session that went overboard.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote:
Brock Landers wrote: :rofl:

Says the guy on the CS.com Mt. Rushmore of thread beatdowns. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Says the guy on the CS.com Mt. Rushmore of thread beatdowns. :coffee:
I own you bitches like Ali owned Liston. :coffee:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Interesting theory...

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

People say a second referendum is unlikely and political suicide. I don't think it is as unlikely as people think. So many who voted Leave now realize what the costs will be and how the Leave campaign has already broken major promises. It's finally sinking in that leaving the EU is going to mean the destruction of the United Kingdom. People now realize that once you leave the EU there is no coming back for decades.

The pressure for a second referendum will keep rising and how can a prime minister deny the will of the people who will want another democratic election. It is still democratic after all and if the people wish to leave the votes would reflect that. Of course the vote will likely heavily go towards Remain now the large chunk of undecided, soft Leave and people who didn't show up (screw them) actually go vote. The whole crisis will be averted and UKIP will have to make peace with that if it goes heavily towards Remain. Even Farrage wanted another referendum if it was 52/48 and that quote is going to haunt him for a long time.

Calling a second referendum might be political suicide for the next Tory prime minister but they are going to commit political suicide taking the position anyway and none of them really want that legacy.

Boris Johnson out.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... CMP=twt_gu

Who's going to step up, take over as Prime Minister, invoke Article 50, and guide the UK through this?

:?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:Interesting theory...

Boris Johnson out.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... CMP=twt_gu

Who's going to step up, take over as Prime Minister, invoke Article 50, and guide the UK through this?

:?
Is a British accent required. Maybe we could send Donald over there ;)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

OL FU wrote:

Donald Trump with a British accent... is... Boris Johnson.

Maybe Owen Wilson should lead it?

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
OL FU wrote:

Donald Trump with a British accent... is... Boris Johnson.

Maybe Owen Wilson should lead it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Shocking. International financiers who might be hurt by the Brexit who predicted Doom for the UK were wrong? :lol:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07 ... ny-france/
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Re: RE: Re: Brexit Thread

Post by DSUrocks07 »

Pwns wrote:Shocking. International financiers who might be hurt by the Brexit who predicted Doom for the UK were wrong? Image

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07 ... ny-france/
Now the excuse is, "well they havent left YET".

But I thought the narrative that the big banks needed to start immediately to get into the EU while Britain was still a member. :coffee:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Exit polls showing a hung parliament.

Doesn't look like May will get her mandate at the very least... but, we'll see.

Tories - 314 (-17)
Labour - 266 (+34)
SNP - 34 (-22)
Lib Dems 14 (+6)
Plaid - 3
Green - 1
UKIP - 0
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)