Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Brexit Thread

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Accuracy
Yup
Nope. The EU is in Brussels. Hence, soufflé.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I heard the EU gave the UK an extension.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote:I heard the EU gave the UK an extension.
Yup, not as long as I thought, but still longer than the UK was seeking - deadline is now Halloween of this year. No expectation that the UK will be able to function in Parliament, though, so I suspect they still won't have a deal come October.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote:
Yup, not as long as I thought, but still longer than the UK was seeking - deadline is now Halloween of this year. No expectation that the UK will be able to function in Parliament, though, so I suspect they still won't have a deal come October.
If they do, I will be shocked. The inability to find a solution is really complicating some of the engine emission work I am involved with on imports/exports.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
Tusk and his Brussels bunch are betting that there will be a new referendum by then.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Tusk and his Brussels bunch are betting that there will be a new referendum by then.
I would put my money on another UK referendum on the matter. That has been the "Remain" goal the entire time.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Tusk and his Brussels bunch are betting that there will be a new referendum by then.
I would put my money on another UK referendum on the matter. That has been the "Remain" goal the entire time.
Like I said, it's a be careful what you wish for thing, and probably why they haven't really pushed full out for a second referendum yet. There's no guarantee that a second referendum will be any different than the first, and if the UK votes again to leave the EU then the Labor party as it's currently constituted pretty much falls apart as "Remain" goes away forever. That's a whole lot to risk and why they aren't more vocal about a second referendum.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Theresa May is out. Who is going to want the job of PM?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Boris Johnson. May was an abysmal failure that ignored the will of the people. The people voted for Brexit. They should have been given that.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

It’s going to be Johnson and a no-deal Brexit now
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote:It’s going to be Johnson and a no-deal Brexit now
Should have been that in the 1st place..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I just made a no-deal Brexit on the shitter.

Ouch.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

The British screwed up. Same problem as we have here only worse. Dying spasms of an element of the population dominated by ignorance and resentment. The problem for the young Brits is that the results of the dying spasms over there are going to be much harder to overcome.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Brexit Thread

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:The British screwed up. Same problem as we have here only worse. Dying spasms of an element of the population dominated by ignorance and resentment. The problem for the young Brits is that the results of the dying spasms over there are going to be much harder to overcome.
I guess you’d support a NAU then huh, John? One with Canada, Mexico, and maybe including Central America?

You can’t see the problems of signing over most of the key elements of national sovereignty (immigration/trade/civil rights) to a congressional body in, say, Toronto - a body consisting of reps from all of those countries?

Brexit was inevitable when the EU was formed, and it should be a cautionary tale to any future countries considering joining similar schemes

The EU is a Warsaw Pact with better window dressing

The British are going to suffer consequences for leaving that were purely created by the charter they entered in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:The British screwed up. Same problem as we have here only worse. Dying spasms of an element of the population dominated by ignorance and resentment. The problem for the young Brits is that the results of the dying spasms over there are going to be much harder to overcome.
You haven’t had an original thought in months (years?). Just spewing the official CNN/MSNBC/Al Jazeera line equating Brexit supporters with Trump supporters.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: Brexit Thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ivytalk wrote:
You haven’t had an original thought in months (years?). Just spewing the official CNN/MSNBC/Al Jazeera line equating Brexit supporters with Trump supporters.
I'm telling you. StOnge passed away and D1B was asked to fill his role.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: You haven’t had an original thought in months (years?). Just spewing the official CNN/MSNBC/Al Jazeera line equating Brexit supporters with Trump supporters.
:lol: No shit.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Ivytalk wrote:
They are one and the same. :thumb:

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

SeattleGriz wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: You haven’t had an original thought in months (years?). Just spewing the official CNN/MSNBC/Al Jazeera line equating Brexit supporters with Trump supporters.
Welcome to Trump World. :nod:

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Here’s a little something for those who think a second referendum in the UK would return a different result (those Brits seeing them consequences and all):

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/27/eu-elec ... seats.html

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:Here’s a little something for those who think a second referendum in the UK would return a different result (those Brits seeing them consequences and all):

Yup, there's a reason why no one is really pushing for a second referendum - if Brexit wins again, as it would very likely do, how can you have any political party that has Remain as part of its agenda?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Here’s a little something for those who think a second referendum in the UK would return a different result (those Brits seeing them consequences and all):

Yup, there's a reason why no one is really pushing for a second referendum - if Brexit wins again, as it would very likely do, how can you have any political party that has Remain as part of its agenda?
I think we are going to see Irish reunification and Scottish independence in our lifetimes.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I think we are going to see Irish reunification and Scottish independence in our lifetimes.
But what about the Welsh? :? They’re my peeps!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I don't know so much about the Irish reunification - they can both be separate entities inside the larger EU, assuming the EU exists long-term (not going anywhere currently, I'm just thinking out 50 years or so). But yes, could certainly see Scottish independence depending on what post Brexit looks like. I still don't think it'll look all that bad - a lot of fear-mongering on both sides over this.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Not a whole lot separating Ireland and NI right now....no wall, no fence, no border check stations....just a line on a map...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12