AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:52 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:06 am

Well you’re posting authors who certainly do.
Why would I care about who a writer hates as long as the story is based in fact? I can read it, and form my own opinion.

Musk is an awkward attention whore who likes to flex and say shitty some things. IMO he’s gone from edgy cool mysterious inventor guy (who doesn’t appreciate wizardry?) to douchey ego driven celeb rather quickly.

Yet you parroted his comment that “Musk has the emotional maturity of Trump”.

They aren’t in the same universe. The fact you don’t LIKE what he says doesn’t automatically make him another Trump. so face it, you really just don’t like successful people.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:50 am
Baldy wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:02 am
This is true...as long as their words align with the appropriate label. :nod:
That must be a weird way to operate but again…best of luck!

:thumb:
Agree. Glad you're coming around. :notworthy:

However, characters from Brian Stelter to Don Lemon all the way to George Stephanopoulos have generated a nice living working that way.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:52 am
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:52 am

Why would I care about who a writer hates as long as the story is based in fact? I can read it, and form my own opinion.

Musk is an awkward attention whore who likes to flex and say shitty some things. IMO he’s gone from edgy cool mysterious inventor guy (who doesn’t appreciate wizardry?) to douchey ego driven celeb rather quickly.

They aren’t in the same universe. The fact you don’t LIKE what he says doesn’t automatically make him another Trump. so face it, you really just don’t like successful people.
I know! I literally quoted that phrase. :lol:

I didn’t say he’s another Trump. He’s clearly smarter by leaps and bounds but then again so are most people.

I like people. Including successful ones. In fact…some of my friends are “successful” people. :D I just don’t base whether I like them on “success”.

It’s fascinating you’re having such trouble accepting this. :suspicious:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:12 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:52 am

I know! I literally quoted that phrase. :lol:

I didn’t say he’s another Trump. He’s clearly smarter by leaps and bounds but then again so are most people.

I like people. Including successful ones. In fact…some of my friends are “successful” people. :D I just don’t base whether I like them on “success”.

It’s fascinating you’re having such trouble accepting this. :suspicious:
Hardly surprising though. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Lawl..The bitch is wrong- it’s not their right to stand in the middle of the street. And the dude deserved it.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Hmm....
There has finally been a new development in the case of the Finders Keepers lawsuit against the FBI, who they suspect of stealing as much as six to nine tons of buried gold bullion that the treasure hunting duo claims to have located in rural western Pennsylvania. As you may recall, Dennis and Kem Parada sought permission to dig at the site where they believed they had located a missing shipment of Union gold that allegedly disappeared in 1863 on its way to the mint in Philadelphia. The men were suspicious of the actions of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, whose permission was required to dig on such public land, so they contacted the FBI for help. The sort of “help” they received from the FBI was not what they expected, however.

A convoy of FBI earth movers and dump trucks traveled up and down the hill where the site was located well into the night while the men were kept away and unable to see what was happening. The next morning they were shown an empty hole and told that nothing had been found. Being understandably suspicious, the duo went to court, requesting all documentation that the FBI had about the investigation. After a series of conflicting responses from the Bureau, they finally admitted in June of last year that there were documents and video from the dig, but it would take “years” for them to process them all to see what could be released. But now a federal judge has run out of patience and ordered the FBI to start turning over the records to the plaintiffs in batches, with a deadline of 30 days for the first release. (US News)
https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/04/20 ... ly-n463617
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:41 pm Hmm....
There has finally been a new development in the case of the Finders Keepers lawsuit against the FBI, who they suspect of stealing as much as six to nine tons of buried gold bullion that the treasure hunting duo claims to have located in rural western Pennsylvania. As you may recall, Dennis and Kem Parada sought permission to dig at the site where they believed they had located a missing shipment of Union gold that allegedly disappeared in 1863 on its way to the mint in Philadelphia. The men were suspicious of the actions of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, whose permission was required to dig on such public land, so they contacted the FBI for help. The sort of “help” they received from the FBI was not what they expected, however.

A convoy of FBI earth movers and dump trucks traveled up and down the hill where the site was located well into the night while the men were kept away and unable to see what was happening. The next morning they were shown an empty hole and told that nothing had been found. Being understandably suspicious, the duo went to court, requesting all documentation that the FBI had about the investigation. After a series of conflicting responses from the Bureau, they finally admitted in June of last year that there were documents and video from the dig, but it would take “years” for them to process them all to see what could be released. But now a federal judge has run out of patience and ordered the FBI to start turning over the records to the plaintiffs in batches, with a deadline of 30 days for the first release. (US News)
https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/04/20 ... ly-n463617
That deal has smelled to the high heavens from day one. Benevolent government my ass.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:53 pm
That deal has smelled to the high heavens from day one. Benevolent government my ass.
"We're with the government and we're here to help." :tothehand:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:43 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:53 pm

"We're with the government and we're here to help." :tothehand:
Except when you want to know what they were up to. :lol:
When the FOIA request was first submitted, the FBI said they had no records of the dig. Upon being challenged, they said there were records, but they weren’t subject to FOIA. After the court told them that was nonsense, they admitted to having 2,400 pages of records and 17 video files.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Capital police and Pelosi.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:24 am Capital police and Pelosi.

Bet they thought those Jan 6th folks were trying again and upping their game. :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Interesting Substack article by Ruy Teixeira on what Democrats have lost among voters and the trend of the party becoming more insular about the American voter and the people it has traditionally represented.

Based on what the Democrats are doing now and the direction they are going, I do not see anything turning around until they clean house.
All across the Western world the working class is deserting the Left. Thomas Piketty and his colleagues among others have copiously documented this trend. The United States is no exception to this trend.

In the 2020 Presidential election, despite a slight improvement over 2016, Democrats still lost white working class (noncollege) voters in 2020 by 26 points (Catalist two party vote). Since 2012, nonwhite working class voters have shifted away from the Democrats by 18 margin points, with a particularly sharp shift in the last election and particularly among Hispanics. This latter development is particularly important since Democrats have hitherto comforted themselves that losses among the working class were just among whites, who they presume to be motivated by retrograde racial and cultural attitudes. That is no longer a tenable view.

Since the 2020 election, the situation has only worsened. Signs of continued slippage among working class voters were unmistakable in the 2021 elections, most notably among Hispanic and Asian working class voters. In the latest Monmouth poll, Biden’s approval rating among the multiracial working class was an abysmal 32 percent vs. 59 percent disapproval, compared to 52 percent approval among the college-educated.

This performance among working class voters should be unacceptable for a party of the left. After all, what is the point of a left party that cannot command the loyalty of the working class and therefore plausibly claim to represent its interests? And in raw electoral terms, worsening performance among working class voters makes the Democrats’ quest for political dominance essentially impossible, since the share of working class voters in the country is 70 percent larger than the share of college-educated voters.
https://theliberalpatriot.substack.com/ ... ss-say?s=w

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Just read Hannity became the longest primetime cable news host, bumping off Larry King. Didn't realize I've been ignoring him for 25 years. Guy never shuts up and gives his guests a chance to speak.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:20 am Interesting Substack article by Ruy Teixeira on what Democrats have lost among voters and the trend of the party becoming more insular about the American voter and the people it has traditionally represented.

Based on what the Democrats are doing now and the direction they are going, I do not see anything turning around until they clean house.
All across the Western world the working class is deserting the Left. Thomas Piketty and his colleagues among others have copiously documented this trend. The United States is no exception to this trend.

In the 2020 Presidential election, despite a slight improvement over 2016, Democrats still lost white working class (noncollege) voters in 2020 by 26 points (Catalist two party vote). Since 2012, nonwhite working class voters have shifted away from the Democrats by 18 margin points, with a particularly sharp shift in the last election and particularly among Hispanics. This latter development is particularly important since Democrats have hitherto comforted themselves that losses among the working class were just among whites, who they presume to be motivated by retrograde racial and cultural attitudes. That is no longer a tenable view.

Since the 2020 election, the situation has only worsened. Signs of continued slippage among working class voters were unmistakable in the 2021 elections, most notably among Hispanic and Asian working class voters. In the latest Monmouth poll, Biden’s approval rating among the multiracial working class was an abysmal 32 percent vs. 59 percent disapproval, compared to 52 percent approval among the college-educated.

This performance among working class voters should be unacceptable for a party of the left. After all, what is the point of a left party that cannot command the loyalty of the working class and therefore plausibly claim to represent its interests? And in raw electoral terms, worsening performance among working class voters makes the Democrats’ quest for political dominance essentially impossible, since the share of working class voters in the country is 70 percent larger than the share of college-educated voters.
Very true. Its also why the progressive caucus has shifted right while the party is losing younger politically aware voters who are pro labor and anti-corporate.

And here I was told that Biden was the 2nd coming of Marx.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:20 am Interesting Substack article by Ruy Teixeira on what Democrats have lost among voters and the trend of the party becoming more insular about the American voter and the people it has traditionally represented.

Don't show this to JSO - it flies in the face of his "accept it as fact" that the Democratic party is about to embark on a 30-40 year run of political dominance at every level of government because "only white people" vote for the GOP at any level of government and non-white people are joined at the hip with the Democratic party. JSO is literally the hear/see no evil mice rolled into one.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

I took 88.3 to Purdue University for a college visit earlier this week. Purdue has frozen tuition for 11 consecutive years under Mitch Daniels and it made me wonder how things would be different if Daniels had run for and been elected POTUS in 2016. Would have been nice to have an adult in charge who knew how to lead and make tough decisions.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:53 pm I took 88.3 to Purdue University for a college visit earlier this week. Purdue has frozen tuition for 11 consecutive years under Mitch Daniels and it made me wonder how things would be different if Daniels had run for and been elected POTUS in 2016. Would have been nice to have an adult in charge who knew how to lead and make tough decisions.
Vote DeSantis. You’ll have exactly that. :nod: :nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:51 am Just read Hannity became the longest primetime cable news host, bumping off Larry King. Didn't realize I've been ignoring him for 25 years. Guy never shuts up and gives his guests a chance to speak.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You just described every talking head on MSM.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:44 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:53 pm I took 88.3 to Purdue University for a college visit earlier this week. Purdue has frozen tuition for 11 consecutive years under Mitch Daniels and it made me wonder how things would be different if Daniels had run for and been elected POTUS in 2016. Would have been nice to have an adult in charge who knew how to lead and make tough decisions.
DeSantis would be a yuge improvement over the past 5+ years but he's nowhere near Mitch Daniel's level.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:02 pm

DeSantis would be a yuge improvement over the past 5+ years but he's nowhere near Mitch Daniel's level.
Well I know virtually nothing about MD so I’ll have to take you at your word.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Is that the guy going after a business (Disney) b/c they disagree with one another?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:51 am

Very true. Its also why the progressive caucus has shifted right while the party is losing younger politically aware voters who are pro labor and anti-corporate.

Who you are is a reflection of the people you choose to associate and surround yourself with. :coffee:

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:19 pm

Don't show this to JSO - it flies in the face of his "accept it as fact" that the Democratic party is about to embark on a 30-40 year run of political dominance at every level of government because "only white people" vote for the GOP at any level of government and non-white people are joined at the hip with the Democratic party. JSO is literally the hear/see no evil mice rolled into one.
Reason number 2 why I posted it. :lol:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:44 am

Who you are is a reflection of the people you choose to associate and surround yourself with. :coffee:
Well my close friend group includes a Trump loving southerner who sold logging machinery and industrial pumps and a jack Mormon golf pro who lives on a family farm and believed Covid could be avoided by washing your hands daily in cow shit.

:?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:44 am

We're all screwed...