I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:28 am
89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:24 am

Was that a rhetorical question?
Not at all.
I think the biggest complaint with wind turbines is the noise, not the appearance
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Yeah, nothing as serene as sitting on the beach and watching the water glisten.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:54 am Yeah, nothing as serene as sitting on the beach and watching the water glisten.

Gorgeous, even at dusk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Yup, just as bad. BUT, Floribama Shores don't care.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:35 am Yup, just as bad. BUT, Floribama Shores don't care.
Can you see any from FL beaches? I thought your statement should be more like "BUT, Texiana, Louisiasippi, and (maybe) Missabama Shores don't care..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:35 am Yup, just as bad. BUT, Floribama Shores don't care.
That is California. :coffee:

I included that b/c they want the oil rigs gone. They're an eyesore off Huntington Beach (for example).

HOWEVER - removing the oil rigs will destroy something like 20+ marine ecosystems. It's a Woke Dilemma.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:32 am
Can you see any from FL beaches? I thought your statement should be more like "BUT, Texiana, Louisiasippi, and (maybe) Missabama Shores don't care..
I don't think you could from a FL beach.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 am
HI54UNI wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:04 pm

It's interesting how this is starting to shape up. The county I live in is rural and we have about 200 wind turbines in our county. There was virtually no opposition when they were put in about 14 years ago. They are a boon to our county in several ways. Short term impact during construction that benefited hotels, restaurants as well as the local hospital, the car dealers, and the hardware store. Long term impact is about 10 good jobs, lease payments to landowners and about 19% of the tax base in our county is now wind turbines. We were able to build a new high school without raising taxes in part because of the taxes the wind turbines pay.

The article mentions Madison County, Iowa. Madison County borders on the Des Moines metro area. A lot of well off people live on acreages in Madison County and don't want wind turbines. They come up with all the things about noise, dead birds, etc. but they are all a smokescreen for the real reason - they don't want to look at them.

At work we tried buying energy from a proposed wind farm in Kansas. The developer was large with over 10,000 MW developed. The project didn't get built due to local opposition. First project they ever had cancelled for a zoning reason. Locals, in rural Kansas, didn't want the project. If you can't build in rural Kansas you're not going to be able to build wind turbines in a lot of places.

The really big thing that isn't mentioned is the transmission that needs to be built to deliver all the wind energy from the flyover states to the population centers on the coasts. People really don't want transmission lines on their property. There is also a big question over who should pay for the transmission lines. Without the transmission lines the wind turbines can't be built because the existing lines are generally at capacity.
I love it when our power expert chimes in on threads like these. Clearly explains the shortcomings of these "green" plans; plans that are conceived in a vacuum with little/no understanding of the cradle-to-grave requirements to actually get it done.
Yep, I love the HI5 energy sector info.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 am
kalm wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:28 am

Not at all.
I think the biggest complaint with wind turbines is the noise, not the appearance
And the bird kills. :suspicious: :suspicious:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:12 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:32 am
I don't think you could from a FL beach.
Meh, it's all the same. But you can from Dauphin Island, AL which is right next door to Pensacola, so I'm guess you can.

https://www.wlox.com/story/16364978/gas ... in-island/
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

The epitome of a fucking douchebag. This guy needs to have his fucking face rearranged.

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ugh Z. There's no ending to the video. You're on thin ice.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:11 pm The epitome of a fucking douchebag. This guy needs to have his fucking face rearranged.

Was he not accepting ID for booze?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:20 pm Ugh Z. There's no ending to the video. You're on thin ice.
Well, you can get the idea in about 30 seconds....
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:54 pm
89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:20 pm Ugh Z. There's no ending to the video. You're on thin ice.
Well, you can get the idea in about 30 seconds....
Yeah, but the payoff is a cop coming in and kicking his ass.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:11 pm The epitome of a fucking douchebag. This guy needs to have his fucking face rearranged.

Saw that last week. :ohno: Lol how the bar owners, in full oh shit pr panic mode after this went viral, claimed the guy wasn't a bartender at their bar, yet he was behind working the bar.. :suspicious:
https://nypost.com/2021/05/11/missouri- ... f-fake-id/
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Pwns wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:53 am Wish Cluck U were around to critique THIS military recruitment ad. :lol:

We are truly fucked.. :ohno:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

US military 'cause it's dumb to base your opinion off one recruitment video. :roll:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Col Hogan wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:20 am Red vs blue...Not how the issue of massive new wind farms is playing out..

Rural America is going to be asked to take it in the ass for urban America if the Biden Administration get’s its way to build alternative energy...

And the battle is already underway, with lots of people in Blue states taking the lead in fighting the plan...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rural-amer ... J2kG1ZIIeg
It's interesting how this is starting to shape up. The county I live in is rural and we have about 200 wind turbines in our county. There was virtually no opposition when they were put in about 14 years ago. They are a boon to our county in several ways. Short term impact during construction that benefited hotels, restaurants as well as the local hospital, the car dealers, and the hardware store. Long term impact is about 10 good jobs, lease payments to landowners and about 19% of the tax base in our county is now wind turbines. We were able to build a new high school without raising taxes in part because of the taxes the wind turbines pay.

The article mentions Madison County, Iowa. Madison County borders on the Des Moines metro area. A lot of well off people live on acreages in Madison County and don't want wind turbines. They come up with all the things about noise, dead birds, etc. but they are all a smokescreen for the real reason - they don't want to look at them.

At work we tried buying energy from a proposed wind farm in Kansas. The developer was large with over 10,000 MW developed. The project didn't get built due to local opposition. First project they ever had cancelled for a zoning reason. Locals, in rural Kansas, didn't want the project. If you can't build in rural Kansas you're not going to be able to build wind turbines in a lot of places.

The really big thing that isn't mentioned is the transmission that needs to be built to deliver all the wind energy from the flyover states to the population centers on the coasts. People really don't want transmission lines on their property. There is also a big question over who should pay for the transmission lines. Without the transmission lines the wind turbines can't be built because the existing lines are generally at capacity.
At your last two paragraphs. :nod:

It has been a year or two since I looked at a wind turbine contract but I know on some of the farm pages I visit that who (and how) the wind turbine is disposed of has been a real stickler. Some of the contracts were (and are still apparently) written that the original owner of the land was on the hook for disposal. I have no idea if this is a industry thing or just local contractors. And in some cases the disposal of the wind turbine is covered by the Wind Farm but not the removal of the base.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Chicago mayor proves she‘s a racist by banning white reporters.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/lightfoot ... s-of-color

Is no different and less racist than if a white mayor banned reporters “of color’
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:Chicago mayor proves she‘s a racist by banning white reporters.

Is no different and less racist than if a white mayor banned reporters “of color’
Dude

Don’t fight it

Just embrace the Suck

Why would you want to stop these people from demonstrating who they are?

They should be allowed to go whole hog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

CID1990 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:31 pm
BDKJMU wrote:Chicago mayor proves she‘s a racist by banning white reporters.

Dude

Don’t fight it

Just embrace the Suck

Why would you want to stop these people from demonstrating who they are?

They should be allowed to go whole hog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. Reality TV live and 24/7.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:32 pm Chicago mayor proves she‘s a racist by banning white reporters.

Me thinks she doesn't understand racism.... :lol:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:16 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:32 pm Chicago mayor proves she‘s a racist by banning white reporters.

Me thinks she doesn't understand racism.... :lol:
Some people didn't just fall out of the stupid tree, but were dragged through the entire stupid forest.

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Winterborn wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:49 pm

At your last two paragraphs. :nod:

It has been a year or two since I looked at a wind turbine contract but I know on some of the farm pages I visit that who (and how) the wind turbine is disposed of has been a real stickler. Some of the contracts were (and are still apparently) written that the original owner of the land was on the hook for disposal. I have no idea if this is a industry thing or just local contractors. And in some cases the disposal of the wind turbine is covered by the Wind Farm but not the removal of the base.
I think originally, say 15+ years ago, the contracts were like that. Now, at least around here, the counties are requiring bonds from the wind companies to pay for the eventual decommissioning. Good idea since every wind farm is a LLC and it would be easy to walk away. The counties all are requiring at least partial base removal of the first 6-12 feet of the concrete base.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire