Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:38 am
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:08 am

Oh hell yeah…and it transcends ideology. Growing up…much of the 9 percent was the Christian fundies. But then…Tipper Gore.

Had this conversation last night with my Mormon, Trump loving, close friend regarding Gruden (he’s also a huge Raiders fan)

He reminded me that back in the day, we played “smear the queer” and called each other “fag.”

Those terms don’t fly today. The world changes as do cultural views. You can either attempt to deny change and growl at what the world is becoming or attenpt to apply some equanimity and be less bitter about things. Regardless of what you think is fair or important.
Kids don’t play smear the queer anymore?
Nope. I remember being in school and some kid getting upset b/c he's gay and thought the game was against him.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:50 am
Nope. I remember being in school and some kid getting upset b/c he's gay and thought the game was against him.
I preferred “bombardment.” Great indoor PE activity, unless you were the last one standing.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:00 am

I preferred “bombardment.” Great indoor PE activity, unless you were the last one standing.
How was that played? Is it similar to Dodgeball?

LilCCU came home from school a few weeks ago and said they played a game at where "You throw balls at peoples faces."

Turned to be dodgeball
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

I’m talking maybe 8-9 years old till about 13-14. I never knew any gay kids at those ages. Was it right to call it ‘Smear the Queer’ back then (in the 80s)? No. But we’re talking late elementary/junior high/middle school age juvenile kids here, not adults. If a group of kids today was playing it, that would be no worse than playing it back then IMHOP.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:15 am

I’m talking maybe 8-9 years old till about 13-14. I never knew any gay kids at those ages. Was it right to call it ‘Smear the Queer’ back then (in the 80s)? No. But we’re talking late elementary/junior high/middle school age juvenile kids here, not adults. If a group of kids today was playing it, that would be no worse than playing it back then IMHOP.
We played it in the 90s. I can see how it could be hurtful but it was a game that was basically tackle that guy, we never thought about it as an indictment on anyones sexual preference. Everyone was the queer at some point during that game. :lol:
Spoiler: show

Regardless of what it is...if something is inappropriate or hurtful or rude or whatever as an adult then it's probably the same as a child. :twocents: :twocents: That goes with the "boys will be boys" saying...eventually those boys become men and never learn that some things aren't appropriate - like taking "No" or "Stop" for an answer. :lol: :lol: Which is why I'm pretty sure there's a phone call coming my way when my daughter punches a kid in the throat, eventually.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

We called it "kill the carrier", which I'm sure is almost equally offensive these days. Heck, you can't call "suicides" in basketball that anymore, have to call them gassers or something like that.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:00 am We called it "kill the carrier", which I'm sure is almost equally offensive these days. Heck, you can't call "suicides" in basketball that anymore, have to call them gassers or something like that.
Can you play a game of HORSE or is that somehow offensive or something?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:53 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:00 am We called it "kill the carrier", which I'm sure is almost equally offensive these days. Heck, you can't call "suicides" in basketball that anymore, have to call them gassers or something like that.
Depends on whether you make or miss. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Smear the Horse?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:56 am

Depends on whether you make or miss. :coffee: :coffee:
Thanks, Dad! :lol:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

"Kill the carrier" is still used today or at least it was yesterday when I went by a park full of neighbor kids. There was a bunch of shouting "you're dead" and the ball carrier ignoring it. :lol:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

ISO…housewives!

:notworthy:

“If there’s any single ladies that’s over here, we got some…single real mens over here looking for to venerate a housewife,” he told those gathered. The group then posed for a photo and started chanting “f—k Antifa.”

https://god.dailydot.com/proud-boys-hou ... 8hAULVdQLo
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

This country is so fucked.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oberlin-coll ... safe-space
A student at Oberlin College in Ohio described being "scared" and "angry" after the school announced a work crew would be installing radiators in a "safe space" dormitory for women and trans students, explaining the crew would likely be "cisgender men."

"I was angry, scared, and confused. Why didn’t the College complete the installation over the summer, when the building was empty? Why couldn’t they tell us precisely when the workers would be there? Why were they only notifying us the day before the installation was due to begin?" Oberlin student Peter Fray-Witzer wrote in an op-ed published in the college newspaper on Friday.

"In general, I am very averse to people entering my personal space. This anxiety was compounded by the fact that the crew would be strangers, and they were more than likely to be cisgender men."

The work crew eventually showed up at the dorm, and Fray-Witzer described that he saw "immediately that they were all men."

"It was clear that the College had not made a special request that male workers not be allowed onto the upper floors of Baldwin," the student continued.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:54 am This country is so fucked.

A student at Oberlin College in Ohio described being "scared" and "angry" after the school announced a work crew would be installing radiators in a "safe space" dormitory for women and trans students, explaining the crew would likely be "cisgender men."

"I was angry, scared, and confused. Why didn’t the College complete the installation over the summer, when the building was empty? Why couldn’t they tell us precisely when the workers would be there? Why were they only notifying us the day before the installation was due to begin?" Oberlin student Peter Fray-Witzer wrote in an op-ed published in the college newspaper on Friday.

"In general, I am very averse to people entering my personal space. This anxiety was compounded by the fact that the crew would be strangers, and they were more than likely to be cisgender men."

The work crew eventually showed up at the dorm, and Fray-Witzer described that he saw "immediately that they were all men."

"It was clear that the College had not made a special request that male workers not be allowed onto the upper floors of Baldwin," the student continued.
How does this snowflake know they Identify as men? Shame on his bias..SHAME!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:11 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:54 am This country is so fucked.

How does this snowflake know they Identify as men? Shame on his bias..SHAME!
meanwhile, China is launching low orbit, steerable nuclear-capable missiles and this is what we're worried about....
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

AZGrizFan wrote:This country is so fucked.

These people don’t really bother me.

They are self-selecting themselves out of society, are unemployable, and I will never have to deal with them in personal or professional situations.

I wish them well once they leave their cloisters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:29 am

They are self-selecting themselves out of society, are unemployable, and I will never have to deal with them in personal or professional situations.

They're also more likely to be of the mind to not procreate b/c, " how could you bring a child into such a chaotic, awful world where we might not even have koala bears in 50 years.." or some other garbage. These people aren't procreating b/c the fetus didn't choose that and how dare I decided for that fetus if it wants to be born.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Their transformation of America into the USSR is almost complete:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/washingto ... -joe-biden
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

There's an entire cabinet full of them working for Joe Biden. They should bother you more.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:39 am

There's an entire cabinet full of them working for Joe Biden. They should bother you more.
CID's going to retire on his boat and sail the seven seas.

I have about 5 years until I can retire and spend a couple of years touring the country in an outfitted Sprinter/Transit/Promaster while hiking and going to college football game before leaving for Central America or Europe.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:29 am These people don’t really bother me.

And Joe Biden’s administration is performing dismally. Not the best resume for those people.

But let’s face it... the majority of his cabinet are just big government Democrat policy wonks. There are a couple nuts but they are safely tucked away in harmless departments.

I’m surrounded by people who might tangentially enable or sympathize with the students in the article, but at the end of the day they would never in a million years hire or promote people like that. They are just too toxic to the workplace. And let’s face it, there are tons of heterosexual men in the Federal government. I’m not sure how that would work for these fragile creatures.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:42 am

They're also more likely to be of the mind to not procreate b/c, " how could you bring a child into such a chaotic, awful world where we might not even have koala bears in 50 years.." or some other garbage. These people aren't procreating b/c the fetus didn't choose that and how dare I decided for that fetus if it wants to be born.
“Be of the mind not to procreate” :rofl: :rofl:

That’s rich. That kid never has been, and never will be, laid. And the world will be better off.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 am
AZGrizFan wrote:
And Joe Biden’s administration is performing dismally. Not the best resume for those people.

But let’s face it... the majority of his cabinet are just big government Democrat policy wonks. There are a couple nuts but they are safely tucked away in harmless departments.

I’m surrounded by people who might tangentially enable or sympathize with the students in the article, but at the end of the day they would never in a million years hire or promote people like that. They are just too toxic to the workplace. And let’s face it, there are tons of heterosexual men in the Federal government. I’m not sure how that would work for these fragile creatures.

It's the kowtowing to them (and their absolute expectation that we kowtow to them) that concerns me. Meanwhile, Rome is burning.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:12 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:42 am

“Be of the mind not to procreate” :rofl: :rofl:

That’s rich. That kid never has been, and never will be, laid. And the world will be better off.
But is IT by choice? lol :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:39 am Their transformation of America into the USSR is almost complete:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/washingto ... -joe-biden
Next thing you know Biden is going to tell us this winter we should all lower our thermosts to 60-65 and wear sweaters inside because climate change something something..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.