Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:31 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:24 pm

Fair. Define “a lot”. And about companies that win favorable legislation at the expense of other companies. Doesn’t that skew the market?
Like Solyndra?

Careful, you're entering libertarian thoughts here ... I would prefer that government stay out of helping make winners and losers but how do you differentiate between helping make winners and losers through:
- regulation (a necessary evil that should be practiced in moderation)
- legislation
- financial incentives to spur innovation (one person's investment in the future is another's pork)
Yep. I was thinking both green energy and fossil fuel companies. :nod:

I have WAY more libertarian thoughts than you think. :lol:

May have stolen some of your ideas in an email I sent our county commissioners today. :ugeek:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:14 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:31 pm

Like Solyndra?

Careful, you're entering libertarian thoughts here ... I would prefer that government stay out of helping make winners and losers but how do you differentiate between helping make winners and losers through:
- regulation (a necessary evil that should be practiced in moderation)
- legislation
- financial incentives to spur innovation (one person's investment in the future is another's pork)

May have stolen some of your ideas in an email I sent our county commissioners today. :ugeek:
It’s because you’re getting older. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Here come the reparations. What a joke.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/evanst ... eparations
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:24 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:14 pm

It’s because you’re getting older. :coffee: :coffee:
I don’t feel more than a week over 50. :coffee:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Pwns wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:32 am
Doesn’t look very “diverse” at all...in fact, overwhelmingly black.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Whoops.

Suez Canal suspends traffic as ship stuck like 'beached whale'

ISMAILIA, Egypt (Reuters) - A container ship blocking the Suez Canal like a “beached whale” sent new shockwaves through global trade on Thursday as officials stopped all ships entering the channel and the salvage company said it may take weeks to free.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-egyp ... SKBN2BH0BA
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:36 am Whoops.

ISMAILIA, Egypt (Reuters) - A container ship blocking the Suez Canal like a “beached whale” sent new shockwaves through global trade on Thursday as officials stopped all ships entering the channel and the salvage company said it may take weeks to free.

Where’s Austin powers when you need him?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:10 am Have you read my posts criticizing the compensation system for managers of publicly traded companies? Bonuses incentivize them to chase short-term stock gains instead of building great companies.
:thumb:

Would you agree “their very participation in politics is a conflict of interest”?
No.

Private sector unions bargain with companies that are working with private funds and an actual bottom line. The health of the organization affects the bosses as well as the workers. There is no conflict of interest because it isn’t my money they are bargaining with.

Public sector unions bargain over public funds, with elected or appointed officials who have no real stake in the good stewardship of the monies. Campaign donations from unions to politicians that control the purse strings on everything from pensions to pay rates is absolutely a conflict if interest. You are being intentionally dense on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:50 am
kalm wrote:
:thumb:

Would you agree “their very participation in politics is a conflict of interest”?
No.

Private sector unions bargain with companies that are working with private funds and an actual bottom line. The health of the organization affects the bosses as well as the workers. There is no conflict of interest because it isn’t my money they are bargaining with.

Public sector unions bargain over public funds, with elected or appointed officials who have no real stake in the good stewardship of the monies. Campaign donations from unions to politicians that control the purse strings on everything from pensions to pay rates is absolutely a conflict if interest. You are being intentionally dense on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps in a vacuum where public spending is not tied to the overall economy and private sector wages are not tied to the social safety net. But I get what you’re saying and have no dog in this fight. In a perfect world you’d never need public or private sector unions or a social safety net.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:36 am Whoops.

Free at last, free at last.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/eve ... -refloated
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

https://www.axios.com/matt-gaetz-retire ... 4347a.html
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) has privately told confidants he's seriously considering not seeking re-election and possibly leaving Congress early for a job at Newsmax, three sources with direct knowledge of the talks tell Axios.
That's good news for everyone. Let this no talent, ass clown go to an echo chamber and bitch and moan. :thumb:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:37 am https://www.axios.com/matt-gaetz-retire ... 4347a.html
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) has privately told confidants he's seriously considering not seeking re-election and possibly leaving Congress early for a job at Newsmax, three sources with direct knowledge of the talks tell Axios.
That's good news for everyone. Let this no talent, ass clown go to an echo chamber and bitch and moan. :thumb:
Inquiring minds want to know:
  • Is he half Klingon?
  • Can he take MTG with him?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:37 am https://www.axios.com/matt-gaetz-retire ... 4347a.html
Where did he touch you to trigger you?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:08 pm

Where did he touch you to trigger you?
Awww your precious. Probably the same place that Biden and Harris touched you.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

95% of Congress would fit right in with that as a job description.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida and a close ally of former President Donald J. Trump, is being investigated by the Justice Department over whether he had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old and paid for her to travel with him, according to three people briefed on the matter.

Investigators are examining whether Mr. Gaetz violated federal sex trafficking laws, the people said. A variety of federal statutes make it illegal to induce someone under 18 to travel over state lines to engage in sex in exchange for money or something of value. The Justice Department regularly prosecutes such cases, and offenders often receive severe sentences.

It was not clear how Mr. Gaetz met the girl, believed to be 17 at the time of encounters about two years ago that investigators are scrutinizing, according to two of the people.

The investigation was opened in the final months of the Trump administration under Attorney General William P. Barr, the two people said. Given Mr. Gaetz’s national profile, senior Justice Department officials in Washington — including some appointed by Mr. Trump — were notified of the investigation, the people said.

The three people said that the examination of Mr. Gaetz, 38, is part of a broader investigation into a political ally of his, a local official in Florida named Joel Greenberg, who was indicted last summer on an array of charges, including sex trafficking of a child and financially supporting people in exchange for sex, at least one of whom was an underage girl.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/30/us/p ... ation.html
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

He may be in the wrong State:

https://lovebylife.com/matt-gates-is-un ... -old-girl/

If he'd been in most States he could legally have sex with a 17 year old in his home State. Not so in Florida. There she has to be at least 18.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

DOJ isn't looking at him for violating Florida law. They're looking at him for violating federal law.
Investigators are examining whether Mr. Gaetz violated federal sex trafficking laws, the people said. A variety of federal statutes make it illegal to induce someone under 18 to travel over state lines to engage in sex in exchange for money or something of value.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Talk about your yard sale finds. A small porcelain bowl bought for $35 US at a Connecticut yard sale turned out to be a rare, 15th-century Chinese artifact worth between $300,000 and $500,000 US that is about to go up for auction at Sotheby's.

The white bowl adorned with cobalt blue paintings of flowers and other designs is about 16 centimetres in diameter. An antiques enthusiast came across the piece and thought it could be something special when browsing a yard sale in the New Haven area last year, according to Sotheby's.

The piece, one of only seven such bowls known to exist in the world, will be up for auction in New York on March 17 as part of the Sotheby's Auction of Important Chinese Art..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/porcelain ... -1.5934498

Actually sold for $721,800. :shock:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:20 pm

If he'd been in most States he could legally have sex with a 17 year old in his home State. Not so in Florida. There she has to be at least 18.
I’ll take your word for it, since you are a subject matter expert on this..
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:17 pm

Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida and a close ally of former President Donald J. Trump, is being investigated by the Justice Department over whether he had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old and paid for her to travel with him, according to three people briefed on the matter.

Investigators are examining whether Mr. Gaetz violated federal sex trafficking laws, the people said. A variety of federal statutes make it illegal to induce someone under 18 to travel over state lines to engage in sex in exchange for money or something of value. The Justice Department regularly prosecutes such cases, and offenders often receive severe sentences.

It was not clear how Mr. Gaetz met the girl, believed to be 17 at the time of encounters about two years ago that investigators are scrutinizing, according to two of the people.

The investigation was opened in the final months of the Trump administration under Attorney General William P. Barr, the two people said. Given Mr. Gaetz’s national profile, senior Justice Department officials in Washington — including some appointed by Mr. Trump — were notified of the investigation, the people said.

The three people said that the examination of Mr. Gaetz, 38, is part of a broader investigation into a political ally of his, a local official in Florida named Joel Greenberg, who was indicted last summer on an array of charges, including sex trafficking of a child and financially supporting people in exchange for sex, at least one of whom was an underage girl.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/30/us/p ... ation.html
:shock: Just like Cuomo, he's innocent until proven guilty. I'm sure the RINOs on here can agree to that. They are a freedom and justice loving group.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Study declares AOC one of the least effective members of Congress
"Tweeting is easy, governing is hard. You need to have friends. You need to understand the committee process, you need to be willing to make sacrifices," said one. "Her first day in Congress … she decided to protest outside of Nancy Pelosi’s office."

A second Democratic insider who worked with her in the New York delegation added that "legislation was never her focus. It was media and narrative."
The ‘Do-Something’ Members of 116th Congress: Legislative effectiveness study from Vanderbilt, UVA identifies member success in advancing bills
Sens. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and Gary Peters, D-Mich., along with Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, and retired Rep. Nita Lowey, D-N.Y., were the most effective Republican and Democratic lawmakers in the recently completed 116th Congress (2019–20), according to new research from the Center for Effective Lawmaking.
Guess where Bernie ranked.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:20 pm Study declares AOC one of the least effective members of Congress
"Tweeting is easy, governing is hard. You need to have friends. You need to understand the committee process, you need to be willing to make sacrifices," said one. "Her first day in Congress … she decided to protest outside of Nancy Pelosi’s office."

A second Democratic insider who worked with her in the New York delegation added that "legislation was never her focus. It was media and narrative."
The ‘Do-Something’ Members of 116th Congress: Legislative effectiveness study from Vanderbilt, UVA identifies member success in advancing bills
Sens. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and Gary Peters, D-Mich., along with Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, and retired Rep. Nita Lowey, D-N.Y., were the most effective Republican and Democratic lawmakers in the recently completed 116th Congress (2019–20), according to new research from the Center for Effective Lawmaking.
Guess where Bernie ranked.
That's actually not much of a surprise. The report says she introduced a lot of bills but none of them got anywhere. If you are extreme you are probably going to introduce bills that most people don't support.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:25 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:20 pm

I’ll take your word for it, since you are a subject matter expert on this..
:lol: :lol: Nice volley, BDK. :clap: :clap: :notworthy: