Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Political discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Such is the life of buildings, even the great ones.

Build a better Cathedral and move on.
:roll: :ohno:
I do genuinely get that it's a connection between past and present; on the other hand, the engineer in me sees it for what it is: a building. I don't like to get emotionally connected to physical structures because they don't have infinite lifespans and it's just a matter of who'll witness each structure's death.

Plus it's a good opportunity for this generation to leave something even better for the next ones.

Then again, there's quite a few buildings people find worth saving that I think should be torn down. :lol:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :roll: :ohno:
I do genuinely get that it's a connection between past and present; on the other hand, the engineer in me sees it for what it is: a building. I don't like to get emotionally connected to physical structures because they don't have infinite lifespans and it's just a matter of who'll witness each structure's death.

Plus it's a good opportunity for this generation to leave something even better for the next ones.

Then again, there's quite a few buildings people find worth saving that I think should be torn down. :lol:
So we should tear down old things so we can build something else? Wtf?

It’s my opinion, but the architecture of these old buildings is just one thing that’s great about them. Nothing really gets built like that anymore. Nothing has hay charm. I’ve got a friend that designs towers and even she laments the most art that used to go into buildings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Ibanez on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

The wooden inside is what’s burning (was all of that original?). The stone walls are still standing.

WWII there were countless buildings & churches heavily damaged and/or destroyed. Many were rebuilt. I don’t know if there were any over 800 years old, but I’m sure there were some. It sucks, but it happens.

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:Plus it's a good opportunity for this generation to leave something even better for the next ones.
:suspicious: There already is plenty of opportunity, don't need to lose historic buildings like this one for that.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:The wooden inside is what’s burning (was all of that original?). The stone walls are still standing.

WWII there were countless buildings & churches heavily damaged and/or destroyed. Many were rebuilt. I don’t know if there were any over 800 years old, but I’m sure there were some. It sucks, but it happens.
There are 1000 ur old churches still standing in France. I’ve been in them. They’ve survived the wars

And I. agree. It sucks. But I still disagree with Trip about tearing them down so we can build some ugly building. Churches, IMO, have gone from these beautiful buildings to steel warehouse looking garbage dumps. They’re terrible.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:The wooden inside is what’s burning (was all of that original?). The stone walls are still standing.

I can't imagine the wood is anywhere close to original.

With that said, historical buildings can certainly be priceless - knowing that someone 2,000 years ago could see the same structure as you see today (certainly with some details different) is a profound experience and well worth the preservation of some historical structures. Losing that and losing a tie to the past is almost always a sad thing.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Plus it's a good opportunity for this generation to leave something even better for the next ones.
:suspicious: There already is plenty of opportunity, don't need to lose historic buildings like this one for that.
Trump...I mean TRIPP has lost it

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:

With that said, historical buildings can certainly be priceless - knowing that someone 2,000 years ago could see the same structure as you see today (certainly with some details different) is a profound experience and well worth the preservation of some historical structures. Losing that and losing a tie to the past is almost always a sad thing.
Some wood WAS from the 13th century. Other as new as the 19th. Stained glass that spanned from Original to the 20th century. But it’s more than just its building materials. That’s what TRIPP either ignores, doesn’t understands or cares about.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I do genuinely get that it's a connection between past and present; on the other hand, the engineer in me sees it for what it is: a building. I don't like to get emotionally connected to physical structures because they don't have infinite lifespans and it's just a matter of who'll witness each structure's death.

So we should tear down old things so we can build something else? Wtf?
Sure, plenty working buildings are past their useful lives or society's outgrown them, but we keep them around because they're old. The White House is a good example.

I don't think Notre Dame wasn't such a building though. But it's still just a building. The loss is the physical connection to the past, but it was going to happen eventually.

Winterborn
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :roll: :ohno:

Disagree. Certain things should be saved for all generations (this is one of them). Least we start to forget our past and the choices that were made back then.

This generation would put up a building, designed by a committee of all relevant parties and bare a strikingly resemblance to a chrome shoe box stood on end with a personality to match.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

"Cynicism is the smoke that rises from the ashes of burned out dreams.” - Anon

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Winterborn wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I do genuinely get that it's a connection between past and present; on the other hand, the engineer in me sees it for what it is: a building. I don't like to get emotionally connected to physical structures because they don't have infinite lifespans and it's just a matter of who'll witness each structure's death.

Disagree. Certain things should be saved for all generations (this is one of them). Least we start to forget our past and the choices that were made back then.

This generation would put up a building, designed by a committee of all relevant parties and bare a strikingly resemblance to a chrome shoe box stood on end with a personality to match.
It's funny you say that because a temple hundreds of years old was torn down to build Notre Dame, it took 180 years to build it, and French leaders changed the architecture throughout its history.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:

There are 1000 ur old churches still standing in France. I’ve been in them. They’ve survived the wars

And I. agree. It sucks. But I still disagree with Trip about tearing them down so we can build some ugly building. Churches, IMO, have gone from these beautiful buildings to steel warehouse looking garbage dumps. They’re terrible.

Where did he say intentionally tear anything down? :?
I can’t believe I’m defending Tripp

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:Sure, plenty working buildings are past their useful lives or society's outgrown them, but we keep them around because they're old. The White House is a good example.
:suspicious:

The HUD building is a good example.

The White House is not.
Last edited by 89Hen on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:

I’ve heard 850-860 years old ballpark. Nothing close to 2000 years.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

It's funny you say that because a temple hundreds of years old was torn down to build Notre Dame, it took 180 years to build it, and French leaders changed the architecture throughout its history.
No sense of history...

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

89Hen wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Sure, plenty working buildings are past their useful lives or society's outgrown them, but we keep them around because they're old. The White House is a good example.
:suspicious:
We can do infinitely better than the White House, especially for a structure that's still in use. It's not even that impressive from an architectural standpoint.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote: There are 1000 ur old churches still standing in France. I’ve been in them. They’ve survived the wars

He didn’t. It’s his opportunity comment

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote: There are 1000 ur old churches still standing in France. I’ve been in them. They’ve survived the wars

He said it here:
∞∞∞ wrote:Then again, there's quite a few buildings people find worth saving that I think should be torn down
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:
89Hen wrote: :suspicious:
We can do infinitely better than the White House, especially for a structure that's still in use. It's not even that impressive from an architectural standpoint.
Infinitely better at what? Dude, you're lost here. Just stop.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote: So we should tear down old things so we can build something else? Wtf?
Sure, plenty working buildings are past their useful lives or society's outgrown them, but we keep them around because they're old. The White House is a good example.

I don't think Notre Dame wasn't such a building though. But it's still just a building. The loss is the physical connection to the past, but it was going to happen eventually.
The White House has outlived its usefulness?

Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

Quasimodo is coming after your ass.

The architecture hasn't changed that much since Notre Dame was built. It's a nice example of gothic architecture. Maybe we should tear down all the Frank Lloyd Wright homes and build more modern, green homes in their place. IMO, it's much better to have a real life example of a building, than pictures and blueprints for future generations to study.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Tripp’s proposal for a new Notre Dame

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:Tripp’s proposal for a new Notre Dame

Where’s the minaret?
“I’m just dealing with reality.” — JohnStOnge 12/19/19

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Gil Dobie wrote:Maybe we should tear down all the Frank Lloyd Wright homes and build more modern, green homes in their place.
Frank Lloyd Wright is one of the biggest examples of my thinking (and probably influenced it).

One of his core beliefs as an architect is that structures are living entities and that like life itself, they are meant to die. People preserving his stuff will even tell you he'd be shocked, and possibly disappointed, his stuff is still standing today.

Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

∞∞∞ wrote:
89Hen wrote: :suspicious:
A couple guys flying planes said the same thing about the World Trade Center. :ohno:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage