Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Political discussions
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5206
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: RE: Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby UNI88 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:55 pm

Chizzang wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Illinois legalizes recreational cannabis! :thumb:

One more item they can tax the shyt out of.


why do you hate America...

:ohno:
Is he wrong? I left Illinois for Oregon and Oregonians are mortified when I tell them what I paid in taxes. Oregon beats Illinois in income tax but that's about it. If it moves and isn't a union benefit, Illinois will find a way to tax it. They're looking at taxing streaming services (Comcast's nefarious influence?).

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17595
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Don't call it Seattle...

Re: RE: Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Chizzang » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:18 pm

UNI88 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
why do you hate America...

:ohno:
Is he wrong? I left Illinois for Oregon and Oregonians are mortified when I tell them what I paid in taxes. Oregon beats Illinois in income tax but that's about it. If it moves and isn't a union benefit, Illinois will find a way to tax it. They're looking at taxing streaming services (Comcast's nefarious influence?).


Um... I was being sarcastic
it's a thing little kalm and I do anytime the board conservatives complain about anything "American"
we ask them why they hate America

:nod:

You'll get the hang of the game if you stick around another 10 years
(also sarcasm)
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 22346
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Dela-Where?

Re: RE: Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Ivytalk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:29 am

Chizzang wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Is he wrong? I left Illinois for Oregon and Oregonians are mortified when I tell them what I paid in taxes. Oregon beats Illinois in income tax but that's about it. If it moves and isn't a union benefit, Illinois will find a way to tax it. They're looking at taxing streaming services (Comcast's nefarious influence?).


Um... I was being sarcastic
it's a thing little kalm and I do anytime the board conservatives complain about anything "American"
we ask them why they hate America

:nod:

You'll get the hang of the game if you stick around another 10 years
(also sarcasm)

In 10 years
We’ll all turn into 89

8-)
Anything I post passes any rational test. — John StOnge 7/12/19

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17595
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Don't call it Seattle...

Re: RE: Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Chizzang » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:24 am

Ivytalk wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Um... I was being sarcastic
it's a thing little kalm and I do anytime the board conservatives complain about anything "American"
we ask them why they hate America

:nod:

You'll get the hang of the game if you stick around another 10 years
(also sarcasm)

In 10 years
We’ll all turn into 89

8-)


89 is angry with me right now...
I've called CID a snowflake twice this week already
and alpha can't figure out why nobody answers his very important questions
While Pwns has set a trap thread and then fallen into it himself as usual

:nod:

things are running pretty much on schedule
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 20745
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby CID1990 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:37 am

Chizzang wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:In 10 years
We’ll all turn into 89

8-)


89 is angry with me right now...
I've called CID a snowflake twice this week already
and alpha can't figure out why nobody answers his very important questions
While Pwns has set a trap thread and then fallen into it himself as usual

:nod:

things are running pretty much on schedule


Being called a snowflake by you affects me slightly less than being called a big meanie by my 8 year old


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17595
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Don't call it Seattle...

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Chizzang » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:07 am

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
89 is angry with me right now...
I've called CID a snowflake twice this week already
and alpha can't figure out why nobody answers his very important questions
While Pwns has set a trap thread and then fallen into it himself as usual

:nod:

things are running pretty much on schedule


Being called a snowflake by you affects me slightly less than being called a big meanie by my 8 year old



Well, yeah...
you are a big meanie, that's spot on actually

:clap:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
css75
Level2
Level2
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby css75 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:46 am

Is this something to be concerned about?

https://youtu.be/N2qOU94dgj8


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 20745
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby CID1990 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Being called a snowflake by you affects me slightly less than being called a big meanie by my 8 year old



Well, yeah...
you are a big meanie, that's spot on actually

:clap:


I am to Reek, anyway


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 17295
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby JohnStOnge » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Here's an interesting tidbit:

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=39992

In April 2019, U.S. monthly electricity generation from renewable sources exceeded coal-fired generation for the first time based on data in EIA’s Electric Power Monthly.


Also note this graph in the article:

Image

Trump is BSing about coal. It's not happening.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

User avatar
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11329
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 am
I am a fan of: William & Mary
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Col Hogan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:24 pm

It was a hazy day today here in Northern Texas as the Sahara dust cloud is starting to arrive...

It’s the second June in a row with the dust cloud coming in on the trade winds...

Image
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 20745
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby CID1990 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Col Hogan wrote:It was a hazy day today here in Northern Texas as the Sahara dust cloud is starting to arrive...

It’s the second June in a row with the dust cloud coming in on the trade winds...

Image


In Nigeria, when the winds shift and bring the dust south it is called Harmattan, which means “Time of Black Boogers”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 20745
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby CID1990 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:34 pm

The successes of Scandinavian countries have little to do with "socialism"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... abe403b05a
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
css75
Level2
Level2
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby css75 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:40 pm

Another thing is they do not pay illegal alien expense.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 20745
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby CID1990 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:42 pm

css75 wrote:Another thing is they do not pay illegal alien expense.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


They don't allow illegals onto their national system, but they do provide basic healthcare. Just like we do. It is in the article.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10086
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:39 pm
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO
Location: The Panther State

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby HI54UNI » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:53 pm

JohnStOnge wrote:Here's an interesting tidbit:

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=39992

In April 2019, U.S. monthly electricity generation from renewable sources exceeded coal-fired generation for the first time based on data in EIA’s Electric Power Monthly.


Also note this graph in the article:

Image

Trump is BSing about coal. It's not happening.


Not surprising. More and more renewables keep getting built. April is a shoulder month for load so a lot of coal plants go offline in April for planned maintenance. I don't know about wind nationwide but April is generally the month with the highest production for our wind units. A lot of snowpack and spring rains this year probably also pushed hydro up in April as well.

Coal isn't coming back. But that is more to do with federal subsidies and rate making policies. The subsidies on wind drive energy markets negative or below the marginal fuel cost for coal and nuclear units, making them unprofitable so utilities want to shut them down. Utilities with marginal units that are fully depreciated are more likely to shut them down permanently because they no longer gain any value from them. Building wind, and putting the capital cost in to the rate base, means getting a 10% ROE on the new investment so utilities have an incentive to build. It's a win-win for the utilities - shut down a "dirty" coal plant and build renewables to make you look good and increase your ROE. What should concern everyone is that this is not only impacting coal but is also impacting nuclear plants. If you believe in the climate crisis than we should not be shutting down nuclear plants.
Image

All my posts are satire.

User avatar
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50440
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Ibanez » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 am

Col Hogan wrote:It was a hazy day today here in Northern Texas as the Sahara dust cloud is starting to arrive...

It’s the second June in a row with the dust cloud coming in on the trade winds...

Image

Let's pause for a moment and consider how amazing it is that DUST from AFRICA finds its way to Texas. :coffee:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 20745
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby CID1990 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:00 pm

Welp, I went down the rabbit hole and started streaming the NBC feed of the Dem debates.

The entire Dem party is shooting itself in the foot on immigration.. and some of their hyperbole is so obviously false (an overriding implication that all this started with Donald Trump) that they aren't fighting for the nomination, they are fighting for the eventual defeat of the nominee

BTW no less than 3 of them have stated that Russia is our #1 geopolitical enemy... it is literally like opposite day. They are actually getting questioned about China and are diverting - saying "actually, I don't think its China... it's Russia".. (Mitt Romney sits back in his easy chair and smiles)

At least they haven't been doing all the ad hominem attacks that were the hallmark of the GOP debates
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17595
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Don't call it Seattle...

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Chizzang » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 pm

CID1990 wrote:Welp, I went down the rabbit hole and started streaming the NBC feed of the Dem debates.

The entire Dem party is shooting itself in the foot on immigration.. and some of their hyperbole is so obviously false (an overriding implication that all this started with Donald Trump) that they aren't fighting for the nomination, they are fighting for the eventual defeat of the nominee

BTW no less than 3 of them have stated that Russia is our #1 geopolitical enemy... it is literally like opposite day. They are actually getting questioned about China and are diverting - saying "actually, I don't think its China... it's Russia".. (Mitt Romney sits back in his easy chair and smiles)

At least they haven't been doing all the ad hominem attacks that were the hallmark of the GOP debates


So you're arguing that truth in politics matter..?
What are you arguing here?

Because it sounds like you're confused about the importance of the actual truth

:lol:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 20745
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby CID1990 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 pm

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Welp, I went down the rabbit hole and started streaming the NBC feed of the Dem debates.

The entire Dem party is shooting itself in the foot on immigration.. and some of their hyperbole is so obviously false (an overriding implication that all this started with Donald Trump) that they aren't fighting for the nomination, they are fighting for the eventual defeat of the nominee

BTW no less than 3 of them have stated that Russia is our #1 geopolitical enemy... it is literally like opposite day. They are actually getting questioned about China and are diverting - saying "actually, I don't think its China... it's Russia".. (Mitt Romney sits back in his easy chair and smiles)

At least they haven't been doing all the ad hominem attacks that were the hallmark of the GOP debates


So you're arguing that truth in politics matter..?
What are you arguing here?

Because it sounds like you're confused about the importance of the actual truth

:lol:


I'm not arguing anything - I'm just observing that whether they are lying or not... they are doing the opposite of what they should be doing to win the next election - that is, don't go batsh!t crazy
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17595
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Don't call it Seattle...

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Chizzang » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:00 pm

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
So you're arguing that truth in politics matter..?
What are you arguing here?

Because it sounds like you're confused about the importance of the actual truth

:lol:


I'm not arguing anything - I'm just observing that whether they are lying or not... they are doing the opposite of what they should be doing to win the next election - that is, don't go batsh!t crazy


Mmm... I see

:coffee:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6061
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Pwns » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:46 am

What goes around comes around. Live by the outrage mob die by the outrage mob.

We get the government we deserve. :nod:

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 20745
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby CID1990 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:55 am

Pwns wrote:What goes around comes around. Live by the outrage mob die by the outrage mob.



I don’t get it
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6061
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Pwns » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:12 pm

It's based on a viral photo of a man and his daughter that drowned that's become a rallying cry (because no one died trying to make it to America under Obama).

Image
We get the government we deserve. :nod:

User avatar
css75
Level2
Level2
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby css75 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:16 pm

Imageshe has dropped a few rungs.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50581
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby AZGrizFan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:35 pm

Well?

Did they let him play through?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image


Return to “Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests