Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Political discussions
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 35169
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
In context of everything else he said with it, it wasn't an untrue statement. "If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that." by itself is demeaning to the people who busted their butts to build a business. All he had to do was add "by yourself" or "without help" and it would have been more respectful.
I think kalmie knows that, hence the tip-toe away emoji.
No. The "tip-toe away emoji" is because he is light in his loafers.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 43467
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
It's funny how legitimate that statement was and how it still sticks in peoples craws. :lol:

:tiptoe:
Well, legitimacy can be skewed depending on your point of view, so it wasn't terribly surprising that people would take umbrage with a statement that grossly oversimplified reality.

With that said, I think an even more legitimate statement was that "basket of irredeemable deplorables" comment. I don't think she was too far off the mark with that one at all. Problem there, though, was that those deplorables, even the irredeemable ones, were also called "voters" in the election she was in.
Yep. I’m not defending it as politically smart but it was an honest point...especially if you know many business owners. It’s the old we versus me philosophy.
Image
Image
Image

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 43467
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I think kalmie knows that, hence the tip-toe away emoji.
No. The "tip-toe away emoji" is because he is light in his loafers.
* birkenstocks
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 13142
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Well, legitimacy can be skewed depending on your point of view, so it wasn't terribly surprising that people would take umbrage with a statement that grossly oversimplified reality.

With that said, I think an even more legitimate statement was that "basket of irredeemable deplorables" comment. I don't think she was too far off the mark with that one at all. Problem there, though, was that those deplorables, even the irredeemable ones, were also called "voters" in the election she was in.
Yep. I’m not defending it as politically smart but it was an honest point...especially if you know many business owners. It’s the old we versus me philosophy.
But it's not - it's just the opposite of people thinking they did it all by themselves. He could've couched it better if he said it was a combination of self-effort and a wonderful country to be fortunate to live in, but it didn't come off that way. Like I said, oversimplifying a complex thing tends to get you in trouble every now and then.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 13142
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: No. The "tip-toe away emoji" is because he is light in his loafers.
* birkenstocks
Which have really made a comeback recently. My wife mentioned how many people we saw during our roadtrip, especially younger people, were wearing the ridiculously expensive versions of Birkenstocks. Millennial parents must have a lot of disposable income. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 23801
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ivytalk »

HI54UNI wrote:
89Hen wrote:

Image
Must not be too worried about the oceans rising in the next 10 years due to global warming.
In that case, Barry can just use Michelle as a flotation device.
“I’m just dealing with reality.” — JohnStOnge 12/19/19

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6332
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: No. The "tip-toe away emoji" is because he is light in his loafers.
* crocs
FYP

:P

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 43467
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:
* crocs
FYP

:P
Those too for sandals and work.

Soft Science for golf and fishing.

:mrgreen:
Image
Image
Image

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 35169
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: No. The "tip-toe away emoji" is because he is light in his loafers.
* birkenstocks
:lol:

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16007
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote:So proud of my progressive county...

https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2019 ... -students/
Students in Montgomery County Public Schools will have a third gender option to declare on their school records.

This year the school system is adding an “X” classification in addition to male and female gender options, according to a letter from Montgomery County Schools Superintendent Jack Smith to Maryland State Superintendent of Schools Karen Salmon requesting that the change become official.

The letter states that Montgomery County school system has received “a number of requests” from students and their parents seeking to designate their gender in their official student records as “nonbinary” or “unspecified.”
So 8-9 year old need to be given the option to be trans gendered? What a bunch of :dunce: running Montgomery Co schools..

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 34100
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote:So 8-9 year old need to be given the option to be trans gendered? What a bunch of :dunce: running Montgomery Co schools..
It's not really that which bothers me as much as IMO this will lead to colleges doing it and then pretty soon they will start tracking their 'X' gender acceptance rates and will start issuing demands for more 'X' gender in their student bodies, and so begins another bastardization of college acceptance.

My kids are only four generations removed from Spain and Cuba. Should/could they have applied "Hispanic"? I know kids who are three generations removed who did. At least that can be quantified. How do you quantify gender?
Image

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 23801
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:So 8-9 year old need to be given the option to be trans gendered? What a bunch of :dunce: running Montgomery Co schools..
It's not really that which bothers me as much as IMO this will lead to colleges doing it and then pretty soon they will start tracking their 'X' gender acceptance rates and will start issuing demands for more 'X' gender in their student bodies, and so begins another bastardization of college acceptance.

My kids are only four generations removed from Spain and Cuba. Should/could they have applied "Hispanic"? I know kids who are three generations removed who did. At least that can be quantified. How do you quantify gender?
2
“I’m just dealing with reality.” — JohnStOnge 12/19/19

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 43467
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:So 8-9 year old need to be given the option to be trans gendered? What a bunch of :dunce: running Montgomery Co schools..
It's not really that which bothers me as much as IMO this will lead to colleges doing it and then pretty soon they will start tracking their 'X' gender acceptance rates and will start issuing demands for more 'X' gender in their student bodies, and so begins another bastardization of college acceptance.

My kids are only four generations removed from Spain and Cuba. Should/could they have applied "Hispanic"? I know kids who are three generations removed who did. At least that can be quantified. How do you quantify gender?
Gender is not the same as sex. It is self identification and should not be codified.

(Preaches to the choir)
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 34100
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: It's not really that which bothers me as much as IMO this will lead to colleges doing it and then pretty soon they will start tracking their 'X' gender acceptance rates and will start issuing demands for more 'X' gender in their student bodies, and so begins another bastardization of college acceptance.

My kids are only four generations removed from Spain and Cuba. Should/could they have applied "Hispanic"? I know kids who are three generations removed who did. At least that can be quantified. How do you quantify gender?
Gender is not the same as sex. It is self identification and should not be codified.

(Preaches to the choir)
Gender is a fictional construct. That's my point.
Image

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6332
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
FYP

:P
Those too for sandals and work.

Soft Science for golf and fishing.

:mrgreen:
And here I am wearing Keens, Tevas and Inov8's hoping to fit in in the rugged PNW when I should have just bought Birkies, Crocs and Sketchers?

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 22274
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by CID1990 »

Jazz Shaw interviews Deep Prasad about quantum computing, exotic materials, and the flying Tic Tacs:

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2 ... materials/

Wild but highly interesting stuff


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

Baldy
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7741
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: It's not really that which bothers me as much as IMO this will lead to colleges doing it and then pretty soon they will start tracking their 'X' gender acceptance rates and will start issuing demands for more 'X' gender in their student bodies, and so begins another bastardization of college acceptance.

My kids are only four generations removed from Spain and Cuba. Should/could they have applied "Hispanic"? I know kids who are three generations removed who did. At least that can be quantified. How do you quantify gender?
Gender is not the same as sex. It is self identification and should not be codified.

(Preaches to the choir)
Then why are males who have male sex chromosomes allowed to compete on the same playing field as females who have female sex chromosomes just because they "identify" as a different gender?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 43467
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote:
kalm wrote:
Gender is not the same as sex. It is self identification and should not be codified.

(Preaches to the choir)
Then why are males who have male sex chromosomes allowed to compete on the same playing field as females who have female sex chromosomes just because they "identify" as a different gender?
They shouldn't be.
Image
Image
Image

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 35169
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: It's not really that which bothers me as much as IMO this will lead to colleges doing it and then pretty soon they will start tracking their 'X' gender acceptance rates and will start issuing demands for more 'X' gender in their student bodies, and so begins another bastardization of college acceptance.

My kids are only four generations removed from Spain and Cuba. Should/could they have applied "Hispanic"? I know kids who are three generations removed who did. At least that can be quantified. How do you quantify gender?
https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/14/so ... ropaganda/

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 34100
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:
89Hen wrote: It's not really that which bothers me as much as IMO this will lead to colleges doing it and then pretty soon they will start tracking their 'X' gender acceptance rates and will start issuing demands for more 'X' gender in their student bodies, and so begins another bastardization of college acceptance.

My kids are only four generations removed from Spain and Cuba. Should/could they have applied "Hispanic"? I know kids who are three generations removed who did. At least that can be quantified. How do you quantify gender?
https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/14/so ... ropaganda/
Believe me, I know first hand how that goes. It will be an easy transformation into letting fictitious genders guide their acceptances. :nod:
Image

Baldy
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7741
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote:
Baldy wrote: Then why are males who have male sex chromosomes allowed to compete on the same playing field as females who have female sex chromosomes just because they "identify" as a different gender?
They shouldn't be.
Careful or you'll lose your Progressive card for failure to display appropriate amounts of wokeness. :D

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10330
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 am

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by ∞∞∞ »

https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... nship.html
Children born to U.S. service members and government employees overseas will no longer be automatically considered citizens of the United States, according to a policy alert issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on Wednesday.
Overwhelmingly affects legal immigrants serving in the military/gov't (aka. Hispanics).

But Trump's not racist... :coffee:

User avatar
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 43135
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 am
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail
Location: Scottsdale

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by dbackjon »

∞∞∞ wrote:https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... nship.html
Children born to U.S. service members and government employees overseas will no longer be automatically considered citizens of the United States, according to a policy alert issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on Wednesday.
Overwhelmingly affects legal immigrants serving in the military/gov't (aka. Hispanics).

But Trump's not racist... :coffee:

I figured that is who it is aimed at.

He's been deported the soldiers, as well.
Image
Image

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 35169
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... nship.html
Children born to U.S. service members and government employees overseas will no longer be automatically considered citizens of the United States, according to a policy alert issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on Wednesday.
Overwhelmingly affects legal immigrants serving in the military/gov't (aka. Hispanics).

But Trump's not racist... :coffee:
You get some leave, head to the bars, hook up with a member of the Swedish Bikini Team, she gets pregnant, has a baby in Europe, and somehow it's an American citizen?

User avatar
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 43135
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 am
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail
Location: Scottsdale

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... nship.html


Overwhelmingly affects legal immigrants serving in the military/gov't (aka. Hispanics).

But Trump's not racist... :coffee:
You get some leave, head to the bars, hook up with a member of the Swedish Bikini Team, she gets pregnant, has a baby in Europe, and somehow it's an American citizen?
Why shouldn't it be?
Image
Image

Post Reply