Political discussions
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Re: RE: Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby Chizzang » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:13 am

BDKJMU wrote:The daughter sounds like a little liberal cunt.

:lol:

I have no idea what's true in this whole thing but the person she describes as her father sounds like a pig
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Postby CID1990 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:24 am

I get the WaPo’s Daily 202 in my email and today’s essay was striking -

Basically a synopsis of this decade as it comes to a close, outlining anti-authoritarian movements around the world that aren’t getting a lot of airplay (because Trump)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 52bbbdb01/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Postby BDKJMU » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:18 pm

CID1990 wrote:I get the WaPo’s Daily 202 in my email and today’s essay was striking -

Basically a synopsis of this decade as it comes to a close, outlining anti-authoritarian movements around the world that aren’t getting a lot of airplay (because Trump)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 52bbbdb01/

I thought we had one more year till the decade comes to a close?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Postby SeattleGriz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:50 am

Oof. I've read about this guy before, and not in regards to his belief in UFOs, but his business to develop quantum computing.

I agree with the author. Pretty crazy stuff to bring up, especially if you are looking to gain financial backing for your company.

Interesting article.

These entities projected hundreds/thousands of sentences and paragraphs in a language that looked like a marriage of Japanese and Egyptian hieroglyphics. I was terrified that I could barely move and was in complete disbelief at what was happening. I’d go back and forth between, convincing myself that I was having some sort of seizure or had fallen unconscious and that there was no way this was happening, to downright fear realizing that it all felt more real than reality.

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2 ... restrials/
Everything is better with Montana.

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Postby CID1990 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 am

SeattleGriz wrote:Oof. I've read about this guy before, and not in regards to his belief in UFOs, but his business to develop quantum computing.

I agree with the author. Pretty crazy stuff to bring up, especially if you are looking to gain financial backing for your company.

Interesting article.

These entities projected hundreds/thousands of sentences and paragraphs in a language that looked like a marriage of Japanese and Egyptian hieroglyphics. I was terrified that I could barely move and was in complete disbelief at what was happening. I’d go back and forth between, convincing myself that I was having some sort of seizure or had fallen unconscious and that there was no way this was happening, to downright fear realizing that it all felt more real than reality.

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2 ... restrials/

The author believes him.

I don’t know what to think, but he has always been a pretty level headed guy. It makes no sense for him to cook this up, and he says as much.

Maybe he’s on to something with the quantum computing and The Federation has given him a warp drive

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Postby AZGrizFan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/cannonball ... rd-27-hour

Road & Track first broke the news that cross country racers Arne Toman and Doug Tabutt, along with spotter Berkely Chadwick, left New York City’s Red Ball Garage just after midnight on Nov. 10 in a modified Mercedes-Benz sedan and drove to the Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach, Calif. -- the same start and finish points used during the first “Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash” in 1971.

They weren’t taking part in a competition, although both drivers had before. Toman tells Fox News Autos that he’s made the run five times during illicit transcontinental events, but this time it was a solo effort specifically designed to break a record set in 2013, when Ed Bolian, Dave Black and Dan Huang completed the route in 28 hours 50 minutes, which was over two hours faster than the previous best time.

Closest I ever came to this was driving from Chicago, Ill to Missoula Montana (1607 miles) in just over 18 hours. Solo.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Postby Skjellyfetti » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:53 pm

But, could they pick up 400 cases of Coors in Texarkana and make it back to Atlanta in less than 28 hours?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)

Cid1990 wrote:It is going to be a sad day for a lot of people when all that comes of all of this is Flynn getting whacked.

Mueller is going to take a beating on the left before this business is over

Winterborn
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Postby Winterborn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:51 am

AZGrizFan wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/auto/cannonball-run-record-27-hour

Road & Track first broke the news that cross country racers Arne Toman and Doug Tabutt, along with spotter Berkely Chadwick, left New York City’s Red Ball Garage just after midnight on Nov. 10 in a modified Mercedes-Benz sedan and drove to the Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach, Calif. -- the same start and finish points used during the first “Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash” in 1971.

They weren’t taking part in a competition, although both drivers had before. Toman tells Fox News Autos that he’s made the run five times during illicit transcontinental events, but this time it was a solo effort specifically designed to break a record set in 2013, when Ed Bolian, Dave Black and Dan Huang completed the route in 28 hours 50 minutes, which was over two hours faster than the previous best time.

Closest I ever came to this was driving from Chicago, Ill to Missoula Montana (1607 miles) in just over 18 hours. Solo.

Saw that posted last night. Top speed was 189mph, average 103 mph, and only stopped for 22:33 seconds.

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

"Cynicism is the smoke that rises from the ashes of burned out dreams.” - Anon

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Postby AZGrizFan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Skjellyfetti wrote:But, could they pick up 400 cases of Coors in Texarkana and make it back to Atlanta in less than 28 hours?

No way. That requires a Bandit. And a flying nun. And a bad country singer.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Postby 89Hen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:41 am

This is exactly why our traffic sux...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/miss-pakistan-world-2012-zanib-naveed-dead-fatal-car-accident

Maryland State Police confirmed in a press release that the fatal crash took place Sunday night before 11:40 p.m. on Baltimore Avenue (Route 1). Naveed was driving a 2018 Mercedes CL2 when she lost control of the vehicle. Investigators say the Pomona, New York native was attempting to navigate a curve when she struck the curb and her car overturned onto the oncoming lane of traffic.

The press release from the department states that the beauty queen was ejected from the car and declared dead at the scene. After a preliminary investigation, police determined that alcohol was not a factor in the accident, which is still under investigation.

Alcohol didn't need to be a factor. Dumb princess driving an expensive car was a factor.

And this?...

A GoFundMe was established in Naveed’s honor with proceeds going to her family.

:suspicious:

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Postby Ivytalk » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:31 am

89Hen wrote:This is exactly why our traffic sux...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/miss-pakistan-world-2012-zanib-naveed-dead-fatal-car-accident

Maryland State Police confirmed in a press release that the fatal crash took place Sunday night before 11:40 p.m. on Baltimore Avenue (Route 1). Naveed was driving a 2018 Mercedes CL2 when she lost control of the vehicle. Investigators say the Pomona, New York native was attempting to navigate a curve when she struck the curb and her car overturned onto the oncoming lane of traffic.

The press release from the department states that the beauty queen was ejected from the car and declared dead at the scene. After a preliminary investigation, police determined that alcohol was not a factor in the accident, which is still under investigation.

Alcohol didn't need to be a factor. Dumb princess driving an expensive car was a factor.

And this?...

A GoFundMe was established in Naveed’s honor with proceeds going to her family.

:suspicious:

That’s why Mooselimbs don’t let their women drive.
“I’m just dealing with reality.” — JohnStOnge 12/19/19

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Postby CAA Flagship » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:02 pm

89Hen wrote:This is exactly why our traffic sux...

At least in NJ, when they crash, they do it away from the road so traffic is not impacted.

:shock:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Postby BDKJMU » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Winterborn wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/auto/cannonball-run-record-27-hour

Saw that posted last night. Top speed was 189mph, average 103 mph, and only stopped for 22:33 seconds.

Didn’t watch the video, but how in the heck do a couple of guys drive that fast for that long and not get pulled over (likely arrested at those speeds) even once..or even worse not wreck? Think about it- that’s pushing 30 hrs of high concentration driving..

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Postby Skjellyfetti » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:03 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:But, could they pick up 400 cases of Coors in Texarkana and make it back to Atlanta in less than 28 hours?

No way. That requires a Bandit. And a flying nun. And a bad country singer.

10-4, good buddy.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)

Cid1990 wrote:It is going to be a sad day for a lot of people when all that comes of all of this is Flynn getting whacked.

Mueller is going to take a beating on the left before this business is over

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Postby Ibanez » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:33 pm

BDKJMU wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

Didn’t watch the video, but how in the heck do a couple of guys drive that fast for that long and not get pulled over (likely arrested at those speeds) even once..or even worse not wreck? Think about it- that’s pushing 30 hrs of high concentration driving..

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Postby CID1990 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:52 am

I’m watching the talking heads on MSNBC and one of their big stories this morning is about how Pres Trump is using his personal cellphone to talk to world leaders and Rudy.

Literally wringing their hands over it and what a security issue it is

(it IS a security issue)

But how anyone can take these people seriously with the way they joked and minimized the security violations of the previous administration - I don’t know how these people can live with themselves with the rank hypocrisy on display

I guess its good they are now serious about natsec and electronic spying ... I thought they were just morons before but now I know they know better

Infotainment news in America really IS the enemy. They are not impartial and they hide/minimize the issues with politicians they agree with. I can’t wait to get back overseas and away from this crap inundating every tv channel. I really feel sorry for you guys here who have to search the dial for real media news when all there is is garbage and bile

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Postby CAA Flagship » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:07 am

CID1990 wrote:I’m watching the talking heads on MSNBC and one of their big stories this morning is about how Pres Trump is using his personal cellphone to talk to world leaders and Rudy.

(it IS a security issue)

But how anyone can take these people seriously with the way they joked and minimized the security violations of the previous administration - I don’t know how these people can live with themselves with the rank hypocrisy on display

I guess its good they are now serious about natsec and electronic spying ... I thought they were just morons before but now I know they know better

Infotainment news in America really IS the enemy. They are not impartial and they hide/minimize the issues with politicians they agree with. I can’t wait to get back overseas and away from this crap inundating every tv channel. I really feel sorry for you guys here who have to search the dial for real media news when all there is is garbage and bile

That's why I prefer to watch sports. Watching referees ignore a Lebron travel is easier to stomach. :silly:

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Postby GannonFan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:22 am

CID1990 wrote:I’m watching the talking heads on MSNBC and one of their big stories this morning is about how Pres Trump is using his personal cellphone to talk to world leaders and Rudy.

(it IS a security issue)

I could never stomach watching any of the partisan news - CNN, FOX, any of the NBC's, even ABC has shifted over the past few years (cue JSO to post some graphic that shows that only FOX is partisan, everyone else is neutral). Don't even watch any of them anymore - I'll surf CNN, ABC, and FOX websites one after another to get a flavor of what each side is shouting, and then I'll go to the BBC to see a more rational view of things. I watched a little of PBS during the last Presidential election and other than being boring as all get out, at least they were even-handed (I still watched CNN to watch their meltdown and I watched FOX to watch whatever crazy they were selling - there is entertainment in the infotainment industry). The CBC out of Canada is pretty good, but you have to sift through agricultural disputes in Prince Edward Island and the like to get to the meaty stuff.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Postby CID1990 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:36 am

GannonFan wrote:

(it IS a security issue)

I could never stomach watching any of the partisan news - CNN, FOX, any of the NBC's, even ABC has shifted over the past few years (cue JSO to post some graphic that shows that only FOX is partisan, everyone else is neutral). Don't even watch any of them anymore - I'll surf CNN, ABC, and FOX websites one after another to get a flavor of what each side is shouting, and then I'll go to the BBC to see a more rational view of things. I watched a little of PBS during the last Presidential election and other than being boring as all get out, at least they were even-handed (I still watched CNN to watch their meltdown and I watched FOX to watch whatever crazy they were selling - there is entertainment in the infotainment industry). The CBC out of Canada is pretty good, but you have to sift through agricultural disputes in Prince Edward Island and the like to get to the meaty stuff.

I’m stuck with MSNBC because I am hanging with my Dad who suffers from dementia and it is the only channel he watches.

Otherwise I’d watch more intellectually stimulating things - like Nickelodeon or home shopping channels

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Postby UNI88 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:05 pm

GannonFan wrote:

(it IS a security issue)

I expect 2 posts from JSO - one to show that only FOX is partisan. The other to show that Trump is intentionally ignoring national security to hide his nefarious intentions and should be prosecuted, impeached and drawn and quartered while Hillary did nothing wrong.

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Postby 89Hen » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Our country sucks.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/annkillion/article/49ers-announcer-Tim-Ryan-continues-long-sad-14885046.php

Speaking on KNBR’s “Murph and Mac” morning show Monday, Ryan said, “He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing. I mean, you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point.”

There was no follow-up question on the strange remark. The interview has been deleted from the KNBR website. After inquiries from The Chronicle, the 49ers announced Wednesday afternoon that Ryan has been suspended from Sunday’s broadcast. Ryan also issued an apology.

You can shrug it off. Or you can interpret it that Ryan said basically that Jackson is really good, but he has an unfair advantage because he has dark skin. Which should make you do a spit-take if you’ve paid attention to the league and its history.

And that’s the problem. Ryan is a color commentator. An analyst. He is not a 14-year-old who just wandered into the booth with no context or historical knowledge. He is supposed to provide perspective, not just on the play in the moment, or the particular game he’s calling, but the big picture on what we are watching.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Postby AZGrizFan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:59 pm

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I could never stomach watching any of the partisan news - CNN, FOX, any of the NBC's, even ABC has shifted over the past few years (cue JSO to post some graphic that shows that only FOX is partisan, everyone else is neutral). Don't even watch any of them anymore - I'll surf CNN, ABC, and FOX websites one after another to get a flavor of what each side is shouting, and then I'll go to the BBC to see a more rational view of things.

Agree with CID. Infotainment news is the enemy.

And GF, that's exactly what I do. Never watch ANY news channel longer than about 5 minutes tho. :ohno: :ohno:

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Postby AZGrizFan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:14 pm

89Hen wrote:Our country sucks.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/annkillion/article/49ers-announcer-Tim-Ryan-continues-long-sad-14885046.php

Speaking on KNBR’s “Murph and Mac” morning show Monday, Ryan said, “He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing. I mean, you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point.”

There was no follow-up question on the strange remark. The interview has been deleted from the KNBR website. After inquiries from The Chronicle, the 49ers announced Wednesday afternoon that Ryan has been suspended from Sunday’s broadcast. Ryan also issued an apology.

You can shrug it off. Or you can interpret it that Ryan said basically that Jackson is really good, but he has an unfair advantage because he has dark skin. Which should make you do a spit-take if you’ve paid attention to the league and its history.

And that’s the problem. Ryan is a color commentator. An analyst. He is not a 14-year-old who just wandered into the booth with no context or historical knowledge. He is supposed to provide perspective, not just on the play in the moment, or the particular game he’s calling, but the big picture on what we are watching.

“Assigning ANY dimension of Lamar’s undeniable brilliance at QB to his skin color — a raw and sensitive assessment and assertion not only because it is profoundly obtuse and ignorant on its face and carries implications that I’m certain were not intended, but because skin color has been such a factor in rationalizing denial of Black athletes’ opportunities to play the QB position over most of the NFL’s 100 years of existence,”

Arizona Cardinals - Kyler Murray
Baltimore Ravens - Lamar Jackson
Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton
Dallas Cowboys - Dak Prescott
Houston Texans - Deshaun Watson
Indianapolis Colts - Jacoby Brissett
Kansas City Chiefs - Patrick Mahomes
Seattle Seahawks - Russell Wilson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jameis Winston
Washington Redskins - Dwayne Haskins

9/32 teams have a black starting QB. That's 28% of NFL teams. AA's make up 13% of the population. Then you have the backup QB's like Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater, RG III, Geno Smith, Deshone Kizer, Josh Dobbs.

What a complete fucking non-story. :roll: :roll:

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Postby Ivytalk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:25 pm

89Hen wrote:Our country sucks.

“This is a racist country.” — Gregg Popovich
“I’m just dealing with reality.” — JohnStOnge 12/19/19

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Postby CID1990 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Anybody notice the bombshell in the NYT today?

Return to “Politics”