Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Political discussions
bandl
Towson
Towson
Posts: 18552
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by bandl »

Ibanez wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: Truthfully I think of Japanese porn and pollution, in that order.
That makes sense. You do enjoy Cream of Sum Yung Hung Guy
good one

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23773
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by CID1990 »

When a Brit refers to someone as Asian they generally are referring to south Asia, like Pakistan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17676
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:I'm betting the attacker was muslim..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... mmons.html
Generally when I read Asian, i'm thinking of someone from China, Japan, Korea, etc... and they aren't Muslims. Id be curious to see how this shakes out.
Dark for a Chinese, Japanese, Korean..
Image

User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6560
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Pwns »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/24/bo ... viral.html

Preschooler suspended for bringing a "shotgun bullet" to school. :lol:

Donks. :lol:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54016
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ibanez »

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/migrants-are-b ... ya-1616492
Migrants from West Africa are being openly traded in "public slave markets" across Libya.

As a departure point for refugees trying to get to Europe, migrants arriving in Libya from sub-Saharan Africa are particularly vulnerable due to a lack of money and little in the way of documentation.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17676
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/migrants-are-b ... ya-1616492
Migrants from West Africa are being openly traded in "public slave markets" across Libya.

As a departure point for refugees trying to get to Europe, migrants arriving in Libya from sub-Saharan Africa are particularly vulnerable due to a lack of money and little in the way of documentation.
Africans selling other Africans into slavery. Where have we heard that before?

User avatar
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16113
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 am
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Hey man its no different than crack, most of that shit is so cut it dont work either
Image

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe

User avatar
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
Posts: 13092
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:56 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Skjellyfetti »

:lol:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg appears to have been caught up in a gender-swapping snafu, mistakenly dubbing Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) one of the “women of the Senate.”

The 84-year-old Supreme Court justice delivered remarks at Allegheny College in Pennsylvania on Monday as she accepted the Prize for Civility in Public Life, honoring her and late Justice Antonin Scalia.

“Let’s hope members of Congress, the members Allegheny College has already honored — Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. John McCain [R-Ariz.] — the women of the Senate, Sens. Dianne Feinstein [D-Calif.] and Lindsey Graham — let’s hope that they and others of goodwill will lead in restoring harmonious work ways,” Ginsburg said during her acceptance speech.
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... the-senate
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Cid1990 wrote:It is going to be a sad day for a lot of people when all that comes of all of this is Flynn getting whacked.

Mueller is going to take a beating on the left before this business is over

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6818
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by JoltinJoe »

Skjellyfetti wrote::lol:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg appears to have been caught up in a gender-swapping snafu, mistakenly dubbing Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) one of the “women of the Senate.”

The 84-year-old Supreme Court justice delivered remarks at Allegheny College in Pennsylvania on Monday as she accepted the Prize for Civility in Public Life, honoring her and late Justice Antonin Scalia.

“Let’s hope members of Congress, the members Allegheny College has already honored — Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. John McCain [R-Ariz.] — the women of the Senate, Sens. Dianne Feinstein [D-Calif.] and Lindsey Graham — let’s hope that they and others of goodwill will lead in restoring harmonious work ways,” Ginsburg said during her acceptance speech.
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... the-senate
:lol:

Totally not an accident. :thumb:

User avatar
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16113
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 am
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

She not too far off

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Image

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54016
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ibanez »

A bill filed Tuesday by four N.C. House Republicans would direct state government to defy a U.S. Supreme Court ruling and restore the state constitution’s ban on same-sex marriage.

House Bill 780 is titled “Uphold Historical Marriage Act,” and is sponsored by some of the House’s most conservative legislators. They frequently file bills that don’t get a hearing because House GOP leaders don’t support the proposals.

The bill says that the 2015 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that legalized same-sex marriage across the country “is null and void in the State of North Carolina.” The sponsors argue in the bill language that it’s “clear that laws concerning marriage are for each state to establish and maintain severally and independently.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/p ... rylink=cpy
:ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14067
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
A bill filed Tuesday by four N.C. House Republicans would direct state government to defy a U.S. Supreme Court ruling and restore the state constitution’s ban on same-sex marriage.

House Bill 780 is titled “Uphold Historical Marriage Act,” and is sponsored by some of the House’s most conservative legislators. They frequently file bills that don’t get a hearing because House GOP leaders don’t support the proposals.

The bill says that the 2015 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that legalized same-sex marriage across the country “is null and void in the State of North Carolina.” The sponsors argue in the bill language that it’s “clear that laws concerning marriage are for each state to establish and maintain severally and independently.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/p ... rylink=cpy
:ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
They just had to use the word "null" didn't they? Some people never learn. :ohno:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54016
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ibanez »

An Oklahoman congressman is under fire after he seemingly dismissed the notion that his constituents pay for him to go to Congress, calling the idea “bullcrap” in a viral video making the rounds on social media.

Markwayne Mullin, speaking at a town hall Tuesday in Jay, Oklahoma, was responding to a question from the audience when he responded to a claim that constituents pay for him to work in Congress.

“You say you pay for me to do this. Bullcrap. I pay for myself. I paid enough taxes before I got there and continue to through my company to pay my own salary. This is a service. No one here pays me to go,” said the 39-year-old Republican who represents Oklahoma’s second district, which covers much of the eastern part of the state.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/p ... rylink=cpy
What a dipshit...
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 46263
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:
An Oklahoman congressman is under fire after he seemingly dismissed the notion that his constituents pay for him to go to Congress, calling the idea “bullcrap” in a viral video making the rounds on social media.

Markwayne Mullin, speaking at a town hall Tuesday in Jay, Oklahoma, was responding to a question from the audience when he responded to a claim that constituents pay for him to work in Congress.

“You say you pay for me to do this. Bullcrap. I pay for myself. I paid enough taxes before I got there and continue to through my company to pay my own salary. This is a service. No one here pays me to go,” said the 39-year-old Republican who represents Oklahoma’s second district, which covers much of the eastern part of the state.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/p ... rylink=cpy
What a dipshit...
With a name like that, he was destined.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17676
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
What a dipshit...
With a name like that, he was destined.
Well he's right in a sense if he through his plumbing companies was/is paying more than 174k a year (current salary for a House rep) in fed income taxes..

Certainly around 47% don't pay his or anyone's salary..Was it one of those town halls where a conk Congressman has a town hall taken over by angry donks?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 46263
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:
With a name like that, he was destined.
Well he's right in a sense if he through his plumbing companies was/is paying more than 174k a year (current salary for a House rep) in fed income taxes..

Certainly around 47% don't pay his or anyone's salary..Was it one of those town halls where a conk Congressman has a town hall taken over by angry donks?
Yes. Because 100% of his taxes go to congressional salaries....
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17676
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
Well he's right in a sense if he through his plumbing companies was/is paying more than 174k a year (current salary for a House rep) in fed income taxes..

Certainly around 47% don't pay his or anyone's salary..Was it one of those town halls where a conk Congressman has a town hall taken over by angry donks?
Yes. Because 100% of his taxes go to congressional salaries....
Well, considering that Congressional salaries aren't even 1/100th of 1% of the 3.9 trillion fed budget, then less than 1/100th of 1% of the tax dollars of the sleight plurality of his constituents who even have fed income tax liability are going towards congressional salaries.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54016
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:
With a name like that, he was destined.
Well he's right in a sense if he through his plumbing companies was/is paying more than 174k a year (current salary for a House rep) in fed income taxes..

Certainly around 47% don't pay his or anyone's salary..Was it one of those town halls where a conk Congressman has a town hall taken over by angry donks?
He's also wrong. Taxes from specific people and companies don't go to specific things. I.e. BDKJMU's taxes are earmarked for infrastructure improvements.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
VictorG
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4666
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:44 pm
I am a fan of: Griz

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by VictorG »

If he claims he's paying his own salary then he needs to stay the heck off the highways and stop using everything else that "my" taxes are paying his share of.....
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 46263
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

VictorG wrote:If he claims he's paying his own salary then he needs to stay the heck off the highways and stop using everything else that "my" taxes are paying his share of.....

:nod:

He hates America... :nod:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19274
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Chizzang »

For me it's not that he's right or wrong...
It's that he doesn't understand who he works for - he's arrogant

Citizens are hostage to assholes like this once they get in office
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
VictorG
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4666
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:44 pm
I am a fan of: Griz

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by VictorG »

Chizzang wrote:For me it's not that he's right or wrong...
It's that he doesn't understand who he works for - he's arrogant

Citizens are hostage to assholes like this once they get in office
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17676
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

It also depends on the context in which he said it in.

Was he facing a hostile town hall with dozens (or hundreds) of people yelling at him, interrupting, including snide, really bogus remarks of we pay your salary, I could understand his frustration shooting back.

On the other hand, if it was some calm debate/Q & A that would be different.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 25251
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
:ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
They just had to use the word "null" didn't they? Some people never learn. :ohno:
The nullification doctrine is back! :thumb: :lol:
“Sure. I was wrong.” — 89Hen 7/27/2020

User avatar
cx500d
Level1
Level1
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:50 pm
I am a fan of: NDSU
Location: DC

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by cx500d »

They just call those people Paki's

CID1990 wrote:When a Brit refers to someone as Asian they generally are referring to south Asia, like Pakistan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply