Campus Happenings

Political discussions
User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21127
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby CID1990 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Pwns wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/11/us/ronald-sullivan-harvard.html

SMH. After students pitched a fit over the law dean agreeing to represent Harvey Weinstein, Harvard cans him.

I don't understand why a world-renowned institution that will never be in any danger of losing money from declining enrollment can't just come out and say "get over it, snowflakes".


That’s right-

This should have been a very easy choice for Harvard and an easy argument to win

The consequences of cowardice will be bitter


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17910
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Chizzang » Sun May 12, 2019 4:52 pm

CID1990 wrote:
Pwns wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/11/us/ronald-sullivan-harvard.html

SMH. After students pitched a fit over the law dean agreeing to represent Harvey Weinstein, Harvard cans him.

I don't understand why a world-renowned institution that will never be in any danger of losing money from declining enrollment can't just come out and say "get over it, snowflakes".


That’s right-

This should have been a very easy choice for Harvard and an easy argument to win

The consequences of cowardice will be bitter


Harvard professors aren't supposed to take representation gigs that are merely for fame and exposure
Ivy can tell you in detail what the professorial bylaws are - they're pretty restrictive

I worked for Harvard Press as a contractor for a while and had to sign an incredible stack of documents
That i did not read but understand it said basically "do anything stupid or for attention" and you're fired
and even any outside writing contracts they had the right to "examine" prior to me signing them
to insure they did not infringe on our mutual contract

:nod:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21127
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby CID1990 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
That’s right-

This should have been a very easy choice for Harvard and an easy argument to win

The consequences of cowardice will be bitter


Harvard professors aren't supposed to take representation gigs that are merely for fame and exposure
Ivy can tell you in detail what the professorial bylaws are - they're pretty restrictive

I worked for Harvard Press as a contractor for a while and had to sign an incredible stack of documents
That i did not read but understand it said basically "do anything stupid or for attention" and you're fired
and even any outside writing contracts they had the right to "examine" prior to me signing them
to insure they did not infringe on our mutual contract

:nod:


That’s fine and good- and if Harvard has that kind of thing in his contract and he violated it, then that’s an issue

But has anyone seen the guy’s legal record? This would not be the first high profile case he has taken - he has an impressive record. He was involved in the Ferguson mess as well - maybe he wasn’t employed by Harvard at that time

The optics here are that he represented a rapist and made students feel unsafe and he was let go as a resident dean because of it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6138
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Pwns » Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 am

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
That’s right-

This should have been a very easy choice for Harvard and an easy argument to win

The consequences of cowardice will be bitter


Harvard professors aren't supposed to take representation gigs that are merely for fame and exposure
Ivy can tell you in detail what the professorial bylaws are - they're pretty restrictive

I worked for Harvard Press as a contractor for a while and had to sign an incredible stack of documents
That i did not read but understand it said basically "do anything stupid or for attention" and you're fired
and even any outside writing contracts they had the right to "examine" prior to me signing them
to insure they did not infringe on our mutual contract

:nod:


I'm betting a Harvard law dean doesn't need to take a famous person's case pro bono or at a discount to help their career.

I strongly suspect that if students hadn't pitched a fit about this Harvard wouldn't do anything to this guy, and the reason they're pitching a fit has nothing to do with the faculty conduct code.

I almost suspect they fired the dean just because they're embarrassed of students at an elite institution behaving so stupidly.
We get the government we deserve. :nod:

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17910
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Chizzang » Mon May 13, 2019 10:37 am

Pwns wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Harvard professors aren't supposed to take representation gigs that are merely for fame and exposure
Ivy can tell you in detail what the professorial bylaws are - they're pretty restrictive

I worked for Harvard Press as a contractor for a while and had to sign an incredible stack of documents
That i did not read but understand it said basically "do anything stupid or for attention" and you're fired
and even any outside writing contracts they had the right to "examine" prior to me signing them
to insure they did not infringe on our mutual contract

:nod:


I'm betting a Harvard law dean doesn't need to take a famous person's case pro bono or at a discount to help their career.

I strongly suspect that if students hadn't pitched a fit about this Harvard wouldn't do anything to this guy, and the reason they're pitching a fit has nothing to do with the faculty conduct code.

I almost suspect they fired the dean just because they're embarrassed of students at an elite institution behaving so stupidly.


I don't doubt that ^
But that's what extensive bylaws are all about
nobody taking a job at Harvard Law school should be confused about this aspect
it basically says "Make the news = Get fired"

What's so confusing about that ?
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12813
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby GannonFan » Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am

Nothing is really official regarding Harvard till Ivy checks in on this - need to hear his take.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6138
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Pwns » Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Chizzang wrote:
Pwns wrote:
I'm betting a Harvard law dean doesn't need to take a famous person's case pro bono or at a discount to help their career.

I strongly suspect that if students hadn't pitched a fit about this Harvard wouldn't do anything to this guy, and the reason they're pitching a fit has nothing to do with the faculty conduct code.

I almost suspect they fired the dean just because they're embarrassed of students at an elite institution behaving so stupidly.


I don't doubt that ^
But that's what extensive bylaws are all about
nobody taking a job at Harvard Law school should be confused about this aspect
it basically says "Make the news = Get fired"

What's so confusing about that ?


I repeat: The only reason it's news that he took on HW as a client is because the students complained.
We get the government we deserve. :nod:

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17910
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Chizzang » Mon May 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Pwns wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I don't doubt that ^
But that's what extensive bylaws are all about
nobody taking a job at Harvard Law school should be confused about this aspect
it basically says "Make the news = Get fired"

What's so confusing about that ?


I repeat: The only reason it's news that he took on HW as a client is because the students complained.


agreed... aaaaaand you're fired

(the end)
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 22769
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Ivytalk » Mon May 13, 2019 2:40 pm

GannonFan wrote:Nothing is really official regarding Harvard till Ivy checks in on this - need to hear his take.

The more I read about this, there’s more to it. For over three years, there was a lot of administrative infighting at Winthrop House (where I lived for three years, BTW) in which Sullivan found himself smack-dab in the middle. He had a lot of autocratic tendencies — not just being shitcanned for nobly representing an unpopular client. The whiny millennial dining hall sit-in (and related snowflaking) to protest Big Bad Weinstein might have given the University the excuse it needed to lance a three-year-old boil. But the optics do suck for my alma mater.
Anything I post passes any rational test. — John StOnge 7/12/19

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17910
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Chizzang » Mon May 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Nothing is really official regarding Harvard till Ivy checks in on this - need to hear his take.

The more I read about this, there’s more to it. For over three years, there was a lot of administrative infighting at Winthrop House (where I lived for three years, BTW) in which Sullivan found himself smack-dab in the middle. He had a lot of autocratic tendencies — not just being shitcanned for nobly representing an unpopular client. The whiny millennial dining hall sit-in (and related snowflaking) to protest Big Bad Weinstein might have given the University the excuse it needed to lance a three-year-old boil. But the optics do suck for my alma mater.



The optics suck if that's the way somebody spins the optics...

:geek:

People get fired for annoying their employer all the time
and the RIGHT loves it - right to work
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21127
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby CID1990 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Chizzang wrote:
Pwns wrote:
I'm betting a Harvard law dean doesn't need to take a famous person's case pro bono or at a discount to help their career.

I strongly suspect that if students hadn't pitched a fit about this Harvard wouldn't do anything to this guy, and the reason they're pitching a fit has nothing to do with the faculty conduct code.

I almost suspect they fired the dean just because they're embarrassed of students at an elite institution behaving so stupidly.


I don't doubt that ^
But that's what extensive bylaws are all about
nobody taking a job at Harvard Law school should be confused about this aspect
it basically says "Make the news = Get fired"

What's so confusing about that ?


What if you make the news and then play the black card?

Does Harvard still fire you?

I suspect Harvard has some self-awarded wiggle room here that it has used before

:nod:


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 22769
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Ivytalk » Mon May 13, 2019 5:44 pm

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I don't doubt that ^
But that's what extensive bylaws are all about
nobody taking a job at Harvard Law school should be confused about this aspect
it basically says "Make the news = Get fired"

What's so confusing about that ?


What if you make the news and then play the black card?

Does Harvard still fire you?

I suspect Harvard has some self-awarded wiggle room here that it has used before

:nod:


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvard had some problems with Cornel West awhile back

Just sayin’...
Anything I post passes any rational test. — John StOnge 7/12/19

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12813
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby GannonFan » Mon May 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Just wait until the millenials in charge, assuming they still read, find out that John Adams represented the British soldiers who fired into the crowd during the British Massacre. Good-bye Adams House. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 22769
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Ivytalk » Mon May 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Many Harvard residential houses were named after former Harvard presidents: Quincy, Dunster, Kirkland, Mather, Eliot, Lowell, and Leverett Houses.

Leonard Hoar was president of Harvard from 1672 to 1675. First Harvard graduate to serve as president. But no House is named after him. 8-) wonder why not....
Anything I post passes any rational test. — John StOnge 7/12/19

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6503
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby JoltinJoe » Mon May 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Ivytalk wrote:Many Harvard residential houses were named after former Harvard presidents: Quincy, Dunster, Kirkland, Mather, Eliot, Lowell, and Leverett Houses.

Leonard Hoar was president of Harvard from 1672 to 1675. First Harvard graduate to serve as president. But no House is named after him. 8-) wonder why not....


:rofl:

User avatar
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50652
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Ibanez » Tue May 14, 2019 3:54 am

Ivytalk wrote:Many Harvard residential houses were named after former Harvard presidents: Quincy, Dunster, Kirkland, Mather, Eliot, Lowell, and Leverett Houses.

Leonard Hoar was president of Harvard from 1672 to 1675. First Harvard graduate to serve as president. But no House is named after him. 8-) wonder why not....


Because Harvard isn’t smart enough to name it Leonard House?





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
Posts: 12307
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:56 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Skjellyfetti » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:46 pm

Mesa College English Professor Showed QAnon Video in Class, Students Say

An English professor at Mesa Community College kicked off the fall semester by showing his classes a YouTube video spreading a far-right conspiracy theory, according to four students.

The 14-minute video shown by adjunct professor Douglas Belmore in at least two classes promoted QAnon, an online community that subscribes to the theory that a cabal of satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles has infiltrated the American government, media, and entertainment industry.

President Donald Trump, according to QAnon, has been secretly working to arrest the perpetrators of the global conspiracy, which involves the Obamas, Bushes, Clintons, Rothschilds, George Soros, the late John McCain, and others. The theory originates from the toxic message board 4chan, where an anonymous user with the pseudonym "Q" has been posting clues related to the conspiracy theory since 2017.


https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ar ... s-11347813
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)

Cid1990 wrote:It is going to be a sad day for a lot of people when all that comes of all of this is Flynn getting whacked.

Mueller is going to take a beating on the left before this business is over

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21127
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby CID1990 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:08 am

GannonFan wrote:Just wait until the millenials in charge, assuming they still read, find out that John Adams represented the British soldiers who fired into the crowd during the British Massacre. Good-bye Adams House. :coffee:


Not to mention that the unarmed Crispus Attucks was heard to be saying "Hands up don't shoot!"
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 22769
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Ivytalk » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:42 am

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Mesa College English Professor Showed QAnon Video in Class, Students Say

An English professor at Mesa Community College kicked off the fall semester by showing his classes a YouTube video spreading a far-right conspiracy theory, according to four students.

The 14-minute video shown by adjunct professor Douglas Belmore in at least two classes promoted QAnon, an online community that subscribes to the theory that a cabal of satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles has infiltrated the American government, media, and entertainment industry.

President Donald Trump, according to QAnon, has been secretly working to arrest the perpetrators of the global conspiracy, which involves the Obamas, Bushes, Clintons, Rothschilds, George Soros, the late John McCain, and others. The theory originates from the toxic message board 4chan, where an anonymous user with the pseudonym "Q" has been posting clues related to the conspiracy theory since 2017.


https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ar ... s-11347813

Don’t go all Spandos on us, Jelly. Not a good way to rebuild your credibility around here.
Anything I post passes any rational test. — John StOnge 7/12/19

Baldy
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7624
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Baldy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:01 am

Ivytalk wrote:

Don’t go all Spandos on us, Jelly. Not a good way to rebuild your credibility around here.

:suspicious:

:rofl:

User avatar
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
Posts: 12307
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:56 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Skjellyfetti » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Georgia Southern students get triggered by a speaker and her book book. Burn burning ensues.

An author scheduled to speak at Georgia Southern’s Armstrong campus on Thursday canceled her scheduled event after an incident during her Wednesday appearance at the university’s Statesboro campus that resulted in several people who appeared to be students being videoed burning her book following the lecture.

Outrage from students and alumni of Georgia Southern under the #southernnotstate hashtag on Twitter followed the incident after video surfaced of students at the Statesboro campus burning a visiting author’s book after she discussed white privilege during her lecture and questions and answers.

On Wednesday, Latina author and New York Times contributor Jennine Capó Crucet discussed her book, “Make Your Home Among Strangers,” to an audience of freshmen students at the Statesboro campus. The book, which is required reading for some Georgia Southern Freshman Year Experience classes, follows a Cuban-American student going to college at a predominantly white educational institution.

https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201910 ... oro-campus

also, can't help but post a pic
Image
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)

Cid1990 wrote:It is going to be a sad day for a lot of people when all that comes of all of this is Flynn getting whacked.

Mueller is going to take a beating on the left before this business is over

User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6138
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Pwns » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Attractive women are the most privileged group there is. :nod:
We get the government we deserve. :nod:

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5535
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby UNI88 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Skjellyfetti wrote:Georgia Southern students get triggered by a speaker and her book book. Burn burning ensues.

An author scheduled to speak at Georgia Southern’s Armstrong campus on Thursday canceled her scheduled event after an incident during her Wednesday appearance at the university’s Statesboro campus that resulted in several people who appeared to be students being videoed burning her book following the lecture.

Outrage from students and alumni of Georgia Southern under the #southernnotstate hashtag on Twitter followed the incident after video surfaced of students at the Statesboro campus burning a visiting author’s book after she discussed white privilege during her lecture and questions and answers.

On Wednesday, Latina author and New York Times contributor Jennine Capó Crucet discussed her book, “Make Your Home Among Strangers,” to an audience of freshmen students at the Statesboro campus. The book, which is required reading for some Georgia Southern Freshman Year Experience classes, follows a Cuban-American student going to college at a predominantly white educational institution.

https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201910 ... oro-campus


From the tweets ...
"White people need to realize that they are the problem and that their privilege is toxic"

Isn't it racist to stereotype an entire group based on the color of their skin?

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17910
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby Chizzang » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:21 pm

She looks pretty damned white to me...

:shock:

a pair of Islamic earrings don't make you brown

This is brown / scroll back and forth between these two women and find the white one
Image
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5535
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby UNI88 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Skjellyfetti wrote:
UNI88 wrote:From the tweets ...
"White people need to realize that they are the problem and that their privilege is toxic"

Isn't it racist to stereotype an entire group based on the color of their skin?


Oh the horror. Her books should be burned. I'm going to go out and buy a case and burn them in my driveway tomorrow


Oh Ahab, I'm not you're great white whale.

Where did I support the burnings? Protesting her speaking and burning her books is just as idiotic and contrary to intellectual development as chasing away Milo or Ben Shapiro. It's not what college should be about. You might not be college material if you can't handle differing opinions.

I just like to point it out when people think racism is acceptable because it's not really racism if the victims are white people. It's more evidence for my opinion that it isn't about equality, it's about "you had your turn, now it's our turn and you need to step aside or we're going to push you out of the way and step on your entitled, toxic face."

Also, nice try but a little slow deleting your post.


Return to “Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kalm and 48 guests