CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Campus Happenings

Postby CID1990 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Pwns wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/11/us/ronald-sullivan-harvard.html

SMH. After students pitched a fit over the law dean agreeing to represent Harvey Weinstein, Harvard cans him.

I don't understand why a world-renowned institution that will never be in any danger of losing money from declining enrollment can't just come out and say "get over it, snowflakes".

That’s right-

This should have been a very easy choice for Harvard and an easy argument to win

The consequences of cowardice will be bitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Postby Chizzang » Sun May 12, 2019 4:52 pm

CID1990 wrote:
Pwns wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/11/us/ronald-sullivan-harvard.html

SMH. After students pitched a fit over the law dean agreeing to represent Harvey Weinstein, Harvard cans him.

I don't understand why a world-renowned institution that will never be in any danger of losing money from declining enrollment can't just come out and say "get over it, snowflakes".

That’s right-

This should have been a very easy choice for Harvard and an easy argument to win

Harvard professors aren't supposed to take representation gigs that are merely for fame and exposure
Ivy can tell you in detail what the professorial bylaws are - they're pretty restrictive

I worked for Harvard Press as a contractor for a while and had to sign an incredible stack of documents
That i did not read but understand it said basically "do anything stupid or for attention" and you're fired
and even any outside writing contracts they had the right to "examine" prior to me signing them
to insure they did not infringe on our mutual contract

:nod:
How would you define a Republican?
"Somebody comfortable betting that science is wrong and oil companies are right..."

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Postby CID1990 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
That’s right-

Harvard professors aren't supposed to take representation gigs that are merely for fame and exposure
Ivy can tell you in detail what the professorial bylaws are - they're pretty restrictive

I worked for Harvard Press as a contractor for a while and had to sign an incredible stack of documents
That i did not read but understand it said basically "do anything stupid or for attention" and you're fired
and even any outside writing contracts they had the right to "examine" prior to me signing them

That’s fine and good- and if Harvard has that kind of thing in his contract and he violated it, then that’s an issue

But has anyone seen the guy’s legal record? This would not be the first high profile case he has taken - he has an impressive record. He was involved in the Ferguson mess as well - maybe he wasn’t employed by Harvard at that time

The optics here are that he represented a rapist and made students feel unsafe and he was let go as a resident dean because of it.

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Postby Pwns » Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 am

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
That’s right-

I'm betting a Harvard law dean doesn't need to take a famous person's case pro bono or at a discount to help their career.

I strongly suspect that if students hadn't pitched a fit about this Harvard wouldn't do anything to this guy, and the reason they're pitching a fit has nothing to do with the faculty conduct code.

I almost suspect they fired the dean just because they're embarrassed of students at an elite institution behaving so stupidly.
We get the government we deserve. :nod:

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Postby Chizzang » Mon May 13, 2019 10:37 am

Pwns wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

I'm betting a Harvard law dean doesn't need to take a famous person's case pro bono or at a discount to help their career.

I strongly suspect that if students hadn't pitched a fit about this Harvard wouldn't do anything to this guy, and the reason they're pitching a fit has nothing to do with the faculty conduct code.

I almost suspect they fired the dean just because they're embarrassed of students at an elite institution behaving so stupidly.

I don't doubt that ^
But that's what extensive bylaws are all about
nobody taking a job at Harvard Law school should be confused about this aspect
it basically says "Make the news = Get fired"

What's so confusing about that ?
"Somebody comfortable betting that science is wrong and oil companies are right..."

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Postby GannonFan » Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am

Nothing is really official regarding Harvard till Ivy checks in on this - need to hear his take.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Postby Pwns » Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Chizzang wrote:
Pwns wrote:

I don't doubt that ^

I repeat: The only reason it's news that he took on HW as a client is because the students complained.
We get the government we deserve. :nod:

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Postby Chizzang » Mon May 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Pwns wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I don't doubt that ^

I repeat: The only reason it's news that he took on HW as a client is because the students complained.

agreed... aaaaaand you're fired

(the end)

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Postby Ivytalk » Mon May 13, 2019 2:40 pm

GannonFan wrote:Nothing is really official regarding Harvard till Ivy checks in on this - need to hear his take.

The more I read about this, there’s more to it. For over three years, there was a lot of administrative infighting at Winthrop House (where I lived for three years, BTW) in which Sullivan found himself smack-dab in the middle. He had a lot of autocratic tendencies — not just being shitcanned for nobly representing an unpopular client. The whiny millennial dining hall sit-in (and related snowflaking) to protest Big Bad Weinstein might have given the University the excuse it needed to lance a three-year-old boil. But the optics do suck for my alma mater.
Don’t get me wrong. I am generally a fan of tax increases. — John “Bernie!” St. Onge 11/16/18

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Postby Chizzang » Mon May 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Nothing is really official regarding Harvard till Ivy checks in on this - need to hear his take.

The more I read about this, there’s more to it. For over three years, there was a lot of administrative infighting at Winthrop House (where I lived for three years, BTW) in which Sullivan found himself smack-dab in the middle. He had a lot of autocratic tendencies — not just being shitcanned for nobly representing an unpopular client. The whiny millennial dining hall sit-in (and related snowflaking) to protest Big Bad Weinstein might have given the University the excuse it needed to lance a three-year-old boil. But the optics do suck for my alma mater.

The optics suck if that's the way somebody spins the optics...

:geek:

People get fired for annoying their employer all the time
and the RIGHT loves it - right to work

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Postby CID1990 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Chizzang wrote:
Pwns wrote:

I don't doubt that ^

What if you make the news and then play the black card?

Does Harvard still fire you?

I suspect Harvard has some self-awarded wiggle room here that it has used before

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ivytalk » Mon May 13, 2019 5:44 pm

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I don't doubt that ^

What if you make the news and then play the black card?

Does Harvard still fire you?

I suspect Harvard has some self-awarded wiggle room here that it has used before

Harvard had some problems with Cornel West awhile back

Just sayin’...
Don’t get me wrong. I am generally a fan of tax increases. — John “Bernie!” St. Onge 11/16/18

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Postby GannonFan » Mon May 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Just wait until the millenials in charge, assuming they still read, find out that John Adams represented the British soldiers who fired into the crowd during the British Massacre. Good-bye Adams House. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ivytalk » Mon May 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Many Harvard residential houses were named after former Harvard presidents: Quincy, Dunster, Kirkland, Mather, Eliot, Lowell, and Leverett Houses.

Leonard Hoar was president of Harvard from 1672 to 1675. First Harvard graduate to serve as president. But no House is named after him. 8-) wonder why not....

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Postby JoltinJoe » Mon May 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Ivytalk wrote:Many Harvard residential houses were named after former Harvard presidents: Quincy, Dunster, Kirkland, Mather, Eliot, Lowell, and Leverett Houses.

Leonard Hoar was president of Harvard from 1672 to 1675. First Harvard graduate to serve as president. But no House is named after him. 8-) wonder why not....

:rofl:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Postby Ibanez » Tue May 14, 2019 3:54 am

Ivytalk wrote:Many Harvard residential houses were named after former Harvard presidents: Quincy, Dunster, Kirkland, Mather, Eliot, Lowell, and Leverett Houses.

Because Harvard isn’t smart enough to name it Leonard House?

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

Return to “Politics”