Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: SCOTUS

Post by HI54UNI »

Grizalltheway wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: :tothehand: Name one fat that isn't good. :suspicious:
:lol: :lol:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Breyer to retire.

"Perfect timin' when I'm climbin', I'm a rhymin' apparatus" :mrgreen:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

I wonder if Ketanji Jackson will be one of the nominees?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Biden should push through someone in their 40s...if he were smart.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:13 am Biden should push through someone in their 40s...if he were smart.
He'll still have to deal with a split Senate. Can't be too much of a reach or he'll lose the Dems in the middle. Assuming the GOP would not go with a really far left judge, that means he'll need all the Dems to fall into line.

I'm just hoping we get a quality judge - don't need more political appointees like Kavanaugh or Sotomayor. That's already too much for the bench.

On a related note, one would imagine this means the Dems feel extremely nervous about holding the Senate through midterms. Very likely to see both chambers in GOP control for the next two years.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Biden should hold off until we know in November who has control of the senate. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:13 am Biden should push through someone in their 40s...if he were smart.
But what if they don't check any diversity boxes?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 am Biden should hold off until we know in November who has control of the senate. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Good troll. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:23 am
He'll still have to deal with a split Senate. Can't be too much of a reach or he'll lose the Dems in the middle. Assuming the GOP would not go with a really far left judge, that means he'll need all the Dems to fall into line.

I'm just hoping we get a quality judge - don't need more political appointees like Kavanaugh or Sotomayor. That's already too much for the bench.

On a related note, one would imagine this means the Dems feel extremely nervous about holding the Senate through midterms. Very likely to see both chambers in GOP control for the next two years.
They need to take a page from Trump and push through a candidate. We don't get quality judges - that's just a pipe dream. :twocents:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:06 am I wonder if Ketanji Jackson will be one of the nominees?
She really might be the only nominee. He's already committed to an African-American female judge, and she's already been vetted after moving to the Appeals Court. She's a Harvard grad, twice, and checks all the boxes. Granted, Biden can screw anything up, but as long as his handlers keep him away from this she'll be the nominee. She'll likely even get a couple of GOP Senators to vote for her (not a lot, I'm saying a few). Collins already voted for her before, and she doesn't have to worry about re-election for another 4 years. Same could go for Lindsay Graham, same situation.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:12 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:23 am

They need to take a page from Trump and push through a candidate. We don't get quality judges - that's just a pipe dream. :twocents:
Nonsense, we have quality judges there now. Other than Kavanaugh and Sotomayor, the rest of the judges are actually pretty good (jury's still out on Amy Coney Barrett, but that's just due to the limited sample size). I think Gorsuch has been a revelation, he writes great opinions. I may not always agree with the Alito's and Thomas's or Kagan's of the world, but they are top notch judges. Same with Roberts the chief justice role.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:16 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:06 am I wonder if Ketanji Jackson will be one of the nominees?
She really might be the only nominee. He's already committed to an African-American female judge, and she's already been vetted after moving to the Appeals Court. She's a Harvard grad, twice, and checks all the boxes. Granted, Biden can screw anything up, but as long as his handlers keep him away from this she'll be the nominee. She'll likely even get a couple of GOP Senators to vote for her (not a lot, I'm saying a few). Collins already voted for her before, and she doesn't have to worry about re-election for another 4 years. Same could go for Lindsay Graham, same situation.
Will she pass his sniff test? :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 am

Again, it's all about making sure Biden is as far removed from this as possible. He's not cognizant enough anymore to be tasked with something like this. He's walking proof that the 25th amendment should be used.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Let's hope. The Republican's will of course stonewall her, claiming that there's no way the could vote on a candidate, 9 months before a midterm election - those fucks will come up with any excuse. I'm surprised they haven't already said there's no way they could vote on a nominee as long as there's a "2" in the year or some other stupid bullshit. Democrats shouldn't back down from that crap like they have before. It's 50/50 in the Senate and they'll need to nominate a smart choice that can't be refused.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:20 am
Nonsense, we have quality judges there now. Other than Kavanaugh and Sotomayor, the rest of the judges are actually pretty good (jury's still out on Amy Coney Barrett, but that's just due to the limited sample size). I think Gorsuch has been a revelation, he writes great opinions. I may not always agree with the Alito's and Thomas's or Kagan's of the world, but they are top notch judges. Same with Roberts the chief justice role.
Fair point - I'm coming around to Gorsuch and even to Amy...but you're right about sample size.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

what's your issue with Kavanaugh?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:50 am

Let's hope. The Republican's will of course stonewall her, claiming that there's no way the could vote on a candidate, 9 months before a midterm election - those fucks will come up with any excuse. I'm surprised they haven't already said there's no way they could vote on a nominee as long as there's a "2" in the year or some other stupid bullshit. Democrats shouldn't back down from that crap like they have before. It's 50/50 in the Senate and they'll need to nominate a smart choice that can't be refused.
It will be hard for some of them to use that excuse as they voted for Ketanji Jackson to be confirmed on the Court of Appeals.

I know very little about her and have to do more digging but the Senate better have a straight vote on the matter. I can see 6waiting 6 months or so but anything over that is BS. And it will also be hard for R's to say no based on her background and that the D's will throw the race flag.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Let's hope. The Republican's will of course stonewall her, claiming that there's no way the could vote on a candidate, 9 months before a midterm election.
why wouldn't they? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:32 pm

Let's hope. The Republican's will of course stonewall her, claiming that there's no way the could vote on a candidate, 9 months before a midterm election.
Because Republicans want to put as many of their own ilk on the bench and will come up with asinine and stupid ideas as to why a Democrats POTUS' nominate needs to wait. If it's not the midterms then it's the general election. If it's not Months that end in "Y" it'll be years that begin with "2".
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:05 pm

It will be hard for some of them to use that excuse as they voted for Ketanji Jackson to be confirmed on the Court of Appeals.

I know very little about her and have to do more digging but the Senate better have a straight vote on the matter. I can see 6waiting 6 months or so but anything over that is BS. And it will also be hard for R's to say no based on her background and that the D's will throw the race flag.
Eh, even 6 months is bullshit. Who cares what the make up the Senate MAY look like in 2023. The Senate today is the only one that matters. :twocents:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:41 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:32 pm

Because Republicans want to put as many of their own ilk on the bench and will come up with asinine and stupid ideas as to why a Democrats POTUS' nominate needs to wait. If it's not the midterms then it's the general election. If it's not Months that end in "Y" it'll be years that begin with "2".
See, I don't think you're going to see any real pushback from the GOP on this. The single reason why they could and why they did stall Garland's nomination and hurry Amy Coney Barrett's nomination was that they held the Senate and they had the power to do it. Dems did cry all they wanted, but at the end of the day Garland was never going to get Senate approval (complaining about the lack of a vote to get it on the record is just a tiny detail) - and frankly considering how he's handled the AG job I think it was a blessing in disguise that he didn't ascend to the Court. And squeezing in Amy Coney Barrett (who should've gotten the nod for the nomination that went to Kavanaugh) was again the result of the GOP having control of the Senate. They don't have control of the Senate this time, there's a handful of Republicans that will likely vote yes for Ketanji Brown Jackson (unlike the stonewall of Democratic opposition to Coney Barrett), and this doesn't do a thing to change the balance in the Court, so I think you're going to be surprised by the relative quiet from the Republican side on this.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:42 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:05 pm

Eh, even 6 months is bullshit. Who cares what the make up the Senate MAY look like in 2023. The Senate today is the only one that matters. :twocents:
And that was the GOP rallying cry with Garland and with Coney Barrett. The Senate, when they were nominated, dictated the outcomes of those nominations.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

You’re obviously confusing a presidential election year with mid terms.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:55 pm

You’re obviously confusing a presidential election year with mid terms.
You're obviously confusing politicians with reasonable adults. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:26 pm

what's your issue with Kavanaugh?
I thought his background was way too political for the job. All that time working under Ken Starr and the time he spent with the Bush campaign and White House were as highly political as you could probably get. Not a bad thing, per se, but in the context of a SCOTUS judge I didn't like it. And it's not like he was some meteoric, rising star, with all the credentials either. He was a so-so student in law school and was just fine as a judge. In his defense, I think he got absolutely railroaded by the Dems in his confirmation hearing and most of that should never have happened. But I still didn't like the choice - like I said, Amy Coney Barrett was there and a highly more qualified choice than he was.