Political discussions
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:The aesthetics of the wall is a national emergency, Ibanez.

You sound like JSO. Orange Man Bad!!!!!
Just walk away, young man

your hysterics are all you have left, I get that

But you’re Reek to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

Trump leaves me cold on many of the random things he speaks in needlessly inflammatory terms, mocking the tactics of the leftists ridiculous rhetoric and I cringe when he opens his mouth.

On the other hand the things that he has done have been more successful than the actions of most, if not all of his predecessors in my life time, although he is consistently denied credit for them.

Most of all I am impressed with his beginning of the reversal of rule of administrative overreach that was used by his immediate predecessor to circumvent legal precedent and the law for the sake of political ideology and appointment of judges that administer the law and not tortured and convoluted interpretations to bend the law to their way of thinking.

HIs handling of the economy has been in stark contrast with his immediate predecessor's increase in the use of regulatory economic shackles to hobble the economy and look at it as a zero sum game.

I'm hesitant to come to the conclusion that is forming, but Trump seems to be an idiot savant whose rhetoric needs to be ignored and endured because of the success of his actions. That is in contrast with the usual Washington governmental official whose rhetoric is soothing and actions are deplorable especially recent Democrats.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

LeadBolt wrote:Trump leaves me cold on many of the random things he speaks in needlessly inflammatory terms, mocking the tactics of the leftists ridiculous rhetoric and I cringe when he opens his mouth.

On the other hand the things that he has done have been more successful than the actions of most, if not all of his predecessors in my life time, although he is consistently denied credit for them.

Most of all I am impressed with his beginning of the reversal of rule of administrative overreach that was used by his immediate predecessor to circumvent legal precedent and the law for the sake of political ideology and appointment of judges that administer the law and not tortured and convoluted interpretations to bend the law to their way of thinking.

HIs handling of the economy has been in stark contrast with his immediate predecessor's increase in the use of regulatory economic shackles to hobble the economy and look at it as a zero sum game.

I'm hesitant to come to the conclusion that is forming, but Trump seems to be an idiot savant whose rhetoric needs to be ignored and endured because of the success of his actions. That is in contrast with the usual Washington governmental official whose rhetoric is soothing and actions are deplorable especially recent Democrats.
What are the 5 worst shackles that Obama used?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
What are the 5 worst shackles that Obama used?
1. ACA. The "Employer Mandate".
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3

Post by LeadBolt »

Other shackles include, in no particular order:

Bending environmental rules beyond precedent to hamper the economy, (ie the faulty logic behind not renewing the Twin Metals lease) and delaying business action in general through overzealous environmental regulation where administrative rules go beyond legal requirements.

Not abiding by the Dodd-Frank provisions for lesser regulatory burden on small banks, but regulating like large banks (see the shrink in the number of small banks and the impact n restricted lending in rural areas).

The hyperbolic rise in health insurance premiums after the enacting of Obamacare without actions to restrain underlying healthcare costs (passed without a single Republican vote).

Enacting policies that have heightened illegal immigration and not properly vetting immigrants so that benefits are outweighed by costs to US economy.

The funneling of economic relief package passed by Congress into proving up of state and local governments which only have an immediate benefit rather than infrastructure improvements which have in addition to an immediate benefit provide for lasting and continuing benefit.

On a political note, weaponizing the IRS, FBI and a myriad of other agencies, not much change to economy, but restriction of freedom of speech and belief.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

93henfan wrote:Trumpster better get something done with China, stat.
Middle earners got an average tax cut of $930 for the tax overhaul passed in late 2017, according to the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center. The tariffs already in effect cost the average household about $831, according to research from the New York Federal Reserve.

Add in the additional tariffs on another $300 billion in Chinese goods that Trump proposed in May, and is still considering, and that increases the cost for an average family of four to about $2,294 annually, according to research from “Tariffs Hurt the Heartland,” a coalition of business groups.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-ta ... 00425.html
I call bullshit. Yahoo was propagating that nobody got anything of significance except for the disgustingly wealthy.

Seems they now say the tax cuts worked?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

LeadBolt wrote:Trump leaves me cold on many of the random things he speaks in needlessly inflammatory terms, mocking the tactics of the leftists ridiculous rhetoric and I cringe when he opens his mouth.

Exactly. For as much as everyone bitches, he is getting shit done and showing how the status quo was a bullshit game used for election purposes only.

But we all knew that anyway.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

LeadBolt wrote:Other shackles include, in no particular order:

Bending environmental rules beyond precedent to hamper the economy, (ie the faulty logic behind not renewing the Twin Metals lease) and delaying business action in general through overzealous environmental regulation where administrative rules go beyond legal requirements.

Not abiding by the Dodd-Frank provisions for lesser regulatory burden on small banks, but regulating like large banks (see the shrink in the number of small banks and the impact n restricted lending in rural areas).

The hyperbolic rise in health insurance premiums after the enacting of Obamacare without actions to restrain underlying healthcare costs (passed without a single Republican vote).

Enacting policies that have heightened illegal immigration and not properly vetting immigrants so that benefits are outweighed by costs to US economy.

The funneling of economic relief package passed by Congress into proving up of state and local governments which only have an immediate benefit rather than infrastructure improvements which have in addition to an immediate benefit provide for lasting and continuing benefit.

On a political note, weaponizing the IRS, FBI and a myriad of other agencies, not much change to economy, but restriction of freedom of speech and belief.
Some of this is valid, some not so much.

I had to look up the Twin Metals lease and that just depends on how you prioritize a healthy ecosystem. Around here examples like the Anaconda copper mine and the Silver Valley which affected downstream waters in Lake Couer d Alene and the Spokane River watershed show where concerns might come from.

And Trump hasn’t exactly been stellar on the immigration front either.

The economic stuff is still TBD.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

I had to look up the Twin Metals lease and that just depends on how you prioritize a healthy ecosystem. Around here examples like the Anaconda copper mine and the Silver Valley which affected downstream waters in Lake Couer d Alene and the Spokane River watershed show where concerns might come from.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:

This one is dead on ...
Obama's "shovel-ready" projects were largely a waste of money that provided quick employment for his union supporters but missed the mark because they could have provided significantly greater long-term benefits by focusing on infrastructure improvements.

And from my anecdotal perspective, the economy is in much better shape. Real employment (not just people dropping off of the unemployment rolls or being counted as employed even though they're underemployed) is up and people feel better about their future prospects.

And the idiot savant part might be correct. People are so outraged by the idiotic stuff that Trump says and does that they miss the substance of what is actually happening.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote:

What would you like him to do?
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3

Post by LeadBolt »

kalm wrote: Some of this is valid, some not so much.

As per Democrat Senator and Presidential hopeful Amy Klobuchar, as reported by Kimberley Strassel:

"Enter Ms. Klobuchar. Or, at least enter an email she wrote to then-Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack on Dec. 16, 2016, the day after the leases were blocked. Government sources provided me this missive, in which a furious Ms. Klobuchar punctures the scandal narrative and skewers her own party for putting politics ahead of the law.

Ms. Klobuchar bluntly states that the decision not to renew the lease “just floored me. Trump will reverse this. When you guys leave and are out talking about a job message for rural America, I will be left with the mess and dealing with the actual jobs. But you guys sure got a good story in the New York Times.” She’s the one who has to run for re-election in a state that still values its mining industry.

She lectures Mr. Vilsack that this “should have been handled through the normal process. It wasn’t.” She notes that she’d asked written questions in July but got no response. She brutally observes that the failure to do this right is “most likely . . . why we have the trump administration to begin with.” She also snaps: “Who cares about answering some pesky questions from a woman senator from the Midwest when you guys and the White House and the activists have all the politics down, right?”

She notes that the company “had had the leases for years,” that the situation “will now end up in a lawsuit,” and that “trump will reverse the decision or a court will.” She adds: “I am not for or against this project but I just wanted a fair process based on science that told us the truth.” (A Klobuchar staffer says the senator “has serious concerns about this project being so close to the Boundary Waters and has always wanted a thorough environmental review,” and “does not believe the Trump administration will move forward in good faith to protect the environment.”)

Here is a Democratic lawmaker, steeped in a home-state issue, calling this what it was: an Obama administration perversion of policy and law, done to appease green donors. She reminds Mr. Vilsack that Republicans will reverse the decision, for the obvious reason that this did not go through a “normal” or “fair” process. "

It's this kind of administrative hank-panky that the Obama Administration used over and over to circumvent normal procedures to appease their donors and cronies that gives "The Swamp" accusations creditability and along with an arrogant elitist candidate leads to a Trump election, not the Russians.

You say we need to find out, but due to the Obama Administration circumventing the scientific process for environmental review they blew the chance to have a scientific environmental review done fairly and correctly in order to move their ideological agenda forward prior to leaving office and keep campaign donations coming in, regardless of whether justified or not.

Capisce?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

I’ve said it before several times on here, if you ignore what Trump says and tweets and just look at what has been done, there’s been some setbacks, but its been pretty damn successful overall. China is a short term pain for hopefully a long term gain. Business as usual with China like Bush and Obama was not a good option.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote:
kalm wrote:

Yeah curious what Trump could do other than how he has played it already. Maybe kalm is outraged about the kids in cages narrative...I mean never mind that that started before Trump took office but whatevs yo!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:
Yeah curious what Trump could do other than how he has played it already. Maybe kalm is outraged about the kids in cages narrative...I mean never mind that that started before Trump took office but whatevs yo!
Umm....start jailing illegal employers, build the wall, bomb Mexico.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Yeah curious what Trump could do other than how he has played it already. Maybe kalm is outraged about the kids in cages narrative...I mean never mind that that started before Trump took office but whatevs yo!
This. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Yeah curious what Trump could do other than how he has played it already. Maybe kalm is outraged about the kids in cages narrative...I mean never mind that that started before Trump took office but whatevs yo!
And not necessarily in that order, AMIRITE???? :D :D
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Unless i'm thinking of something else, wasn't much of what Trump "accomplished" last with with Mexico already agreed to earlier this year?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:Unless i'm thinking of something else, wasn't much of what Trump "accomplished" last with with Mexico already agreed to earlier this year?
It's hard to keep up with all the accomplishments. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote:Unless i'm thinking of something else, wasn't much of what Trump "accomplished" last with with Mexico already agreed to earlier this year?
No, Schumer. :roll: :roll:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
It's hard to keep up with all the accomplishments. :coffee:
Indeed. I know all of our lives are so much better now than they were under Obama....or if Hilary would have won. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: It's hard to keep up with all the accomplishments. :coffee:
Indeed. I know all of our lives are so much better now than they were under Obama....or if Hilary would have won. :coffee:
Truer words were never spoken. :coffee: :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
I've been in and out of meetings today but I thought I heard on Fox this morning that Mexico agreed to a lot of this stuff in March and that the only thing this threat did was accelerate the timeline.

It was Fox News so who knows...
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Truer words were never spoken. :coffee: :coffee:
Based on the recent trend of this administration... absolutely

:lol:

The Truth
now completely illusory
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I've been in and out of meetings today but I thought I heard on Fox this morning that Mexico agreed to a lot of this stuff in March and that the only thing this threat did was accelerate the timeline.

It was Fox News so who knows...
Here:
Mexican negotiators persuaded President Trump to back down from his tariff threat by agreeing to an unprecedented crackdown on Central American migrants and accepting more-expansive measures in Mexico if the initial efforts don’t deliver quick results, according to officials from both governments and documents reviewed by The Washington Post.

The enforcement measures Mexico has promised include the deployment of a militarized national guard at the Guatemalan border, thousands of additional migrant arrests per week and the acceptance of busloads of asylum seekers turned away from the U.S. border daily, all geared toward cutting the migrant flow sharply in coming weeks. The measures, described by officials from both sides and included in Mexican negotiating documents reviewed by The Post, appear to be more substantial than what the Mexican government has attempted thus far during the precipitous rise in migration to the U.S. border.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigrat ... b94ceebadd

Yup. The link is from WaPo. Teeth gnashing and all. :lol: