Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:29 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:45 pm

I am pro-life, I do not believe in deficit spending, I do not support affirmative action, I think it should be legal for a prayer to be read over the intercom at a public high school football game, I think it should be legal for a prayer to be read over the intercom of a public school at the beginning of the day, I think people should be able to keep and bear military arms unless the Constitution is amended, and I think the Constitution should be interpreted literally with attention payed to an honest effort to divine what people intended at the time during which each Constitutional provision was crafted and ratified.

I am conservative. But we have an immediate problem right now where one of the major political parties had gone completely off the rails.
Religion has zero place in public schools. If you want your kids to pray in school - teach them to take a few minutes to themselves.
That may be true but what the First Amendment says is that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." A local principal reading a prayer over the intercom is not the Congress of the United States making a law respecting the establishment of religion. The Constitution, in terms of what it actually says, does not prohibit the practice. It just doesn't.

Another thing is that we have a history in which Church Services were held in the House Chamber. There is just NO way either the language or the intent of the First Amendment actually prohibits something like a principal in a local school system reciting a prayer over the intercom or something like somebody reciting a prayer over the intercom prior to a high school football game.

I am agnostic. But the "separation of Church and State" thing was just WAY overblown by the Judiciary.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:29 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:17 pm

As long as those kids aren't disrupting the class, preaching, etc.. no I don't think they should.
Because that happens all the time....campus-wide "no-prayer" zones....can't do it after or before a football game because "someone might get offended", that kind of shit....
I'm fine with kids praying on their own...or in a group if they want. But it shouldn't be at the direction of the school itself. :twocents: You want your children to pray in school with the teachers, go to a religious school.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:25 pm

Religion has zero place in public schools. If you want your kids to pray in school - teach them to take a few minutes to themselves.
That may be true but what the First Amendment says is that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." A local principal reading a prayer over the intercom is not the Congress of the United States making a law respecting the establishment of religion. The Constitution, in terms of what it actually says, does not prohibit the practice. It just doesn't.

Another thing is that we have a history in which Church Services were held in the House Chamber. There is just NO way either the language or the intent of the First Amendment actually prohibits something like a principal in a local school system reciting a prayer over the intercom or something like somebody reciting a prayer over the intercom prior to a high school football game.

I am agnostic. But the "separation of Church and State" thing was just WAY overblown by the Judiciary.
Those public schools are using public money for public education...not religious education. As if kids need ANOTHER thing in their lives to set them apart, religion is one that we can not use to single out the Christians from the Jews from the Muslims from the Atheist's/Agnostics. Christians aren't the only ones going to public school. Are you suggesting public schools also stop however many times a day, kneel towards Mecca and pray? I'm guessing not. There just isn't any need for it. Again - if you want your kids to pray in school either send them to a religious school or instruct them to pray privately. Otherwise, STFU. :twocents:

People seem to forget that America was founded on both religious freedom and intolerance. Look at all the colonial laws stating that to own land, a business or run for office you have to be part of a certain church. Heck, Maryland was founded for Catholics...and then persecuted them.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:46 am

Those public schools are using public money for public education...not religious education. As if kids need ANOTHER thing in their lives to set them apart, religion is one that we can not use to single out the Christians from the Jews from the Muslims from the Atheist's/Agnostics. Christians aren't the only ones going to public school. Are you suggesting public schools also stop however many times a day, kneel towards Mecca and pray? I'm guessing not. There just isn't any need for it. Again - if you want your kids to pray in school either send them to a religious school or instruct them to pray privately. Otherwise, STFU. :twocents:

People seem to forget that America was founded on both religious freedom and intolerance. Look at all the colonial laws stating that to own land, a business or run for office you have to be part of a certain church. Heck, Maryland was founded for Catholics...and then persecuted them.
Oh sure…mention all the big religions…

Satan hating conformist!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Sounds just like your man Biden! “You know….THE THING!”
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Nothing new here except a further slide to the right. The R’s are still so some much better at electoral politics. Fun times ahead.
The former congressman Joe Walsh, who was part of the Tea Party, a previous conservative movement against the Republican establishment, and now hosts a podcast, said: “I talked to these folks every day, and for people who think [members of Congress] Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert are nuts, they ain’t seen nothing yet.

“The Republicans at the state and local level are way, way more gone than the Republicans in Washington. We’re talking about grassroots voters and activists on the ground and eventually, to win a Republican primary at whatever level, every candidate has to listen to them.

“So you’re going to get a far larger number of wackadoodle Republicans elected to Congress in 2022 because they will reflect the craziness that’s going on state and locally right now.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... KXwoml-Xt4
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Still a few sane conservatives out there….

“Two longtime conservative Fox News commentators have resigned in protest of what they call a pattern of incendiary and fabricated claims by the network's opinion hosts in support of former President Donald Trump.

In separate interviews with NPR, Stephen Hayes and Jonah Goldberg pointed to a breaking point earlier this month: network star Tucker Carlson's three-part series on the Jan. 6 siege of the U.S. Capitol that relied on fabrications and conspiracy theories to exonerate the Trump supporters who participated in the attack.

"It's basically saying that the Biden regime is coming after half the country and this is the War on Terror 2.0," Goldberg tells NPR. "It traffics in all manner of innuendo and conspiracy theories that I think legitimately could lead to violence. That for me, and for Steve, was the last straw."

Hayes has been a close friend of Fox News political anchor Bret Baier since their college days at DePauw University; both he and Goldberg were mainstays of Baier's Special Report since joining the network in 2009. Together, Hayes and Goldberg co-founded the conservative news site The Dispatch.

According to five people with direct knowledge, the resignations reflect larger tumult within Fox News over Carlson's series "Patriot Purge" and his increasingly strident stances, and over the network's willingness to let its opinion stars make false, paranoid claims against President Biden, his administration and his supporters.“

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:16 am “Two longtime conservative Fox News commentators... Stephen Hayes and Jonah Goldberg
FWIW, I've never heard of either nor seen them on Fox. And I watch 20 hours a day. So I wouldn't be too optimistic kalm about a few sane conservatives. Had to look them up and when I find a video of Jonah Goldberg on The Daily Show with Trevor Noah... you know he's probably not really a conservative. Not that a conservative wouldn't go on the show... he wouldn't be invited. Can't find a single second of Hayes on Fox. And FTR, Goldberg is a never-Trumper, wrote a book on it. So :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:34 am
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:16 am “Two longtime conservative Fox News commentators... Stephen Hayes and Jonah Goldberg
FWIW, I've never heard of either nor seen them on Fox. And I watch 20 hours a day. So I wouldn't be too optimistic kalm about a few sane conservatives. Had to look them up and when I find a video of Jonah Goldberg on The Daily Show with Trevor Noah... you know he's probably not really a conservative. Not that a conservative wouldn't go on the show... he wouldn't be invited. Can't find a single second of Hayes on Fox. And FTR, Goldberg is a never-Trumper, wrote a book on it. So :coffee:
True conservatives should be optimistic about this.

Surprised you haven’t heard of Goldberg. He’s been a rather prominent conservative voice for a long time. Editor of the National Review, syndicated columns that is read in our paper, and such.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:12 am Surprised you haven’t heard of Goldberg. He’s been a rather prominent conservative voice for a long time.
Evidently not around here.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:25 am
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:12 am Surprised you haven’t heard of Goldberg. He’s been a rather prominent conservative voice for a long time.
National sally syndicated and I believe he lives in your area.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:34 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:25 am

National sally syndicated and I believe he lives in your area.
Sorry, I'm being honest, I've never once seen him before today.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

You watch 20 hours of Fox News?!!??!?!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:12 pm

I usually pass out from the meth for a couple hours a day.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:17 pm

Oh well that tracks.... :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

I've read a few Goldberg opinion pieces. If memory serves, I think he's pretty good.

Why does it matter if he's a "never Trumper"? Can a "never-Trumper" not be a conservative? Or are the opinions of "never Trumpers" somehow less valid? To be accurate, Trump is a populist, not a conservative. Being a "never Trumper" could solidify his conservative creds.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:11 pm

I've read a few Goldberg opinion pieces. If memory serves, I think he's pretty good.

Why does it matter if he's a "never Trumper"? Can a "never-Trumper" not be a conservative? Or are the opinions of "never Trumpers" somehow less valid? To be accurate, Trump is a populist, not a conservative. Being a "never Trumper" could solidify his conservative creds.
NO! YOU EITHER FALL IN LINE BEHIND THE DAUPHIN, DONALD J. TRUMP, OR YOU DIE! INDIVIDUALSIM AND FREEDOM OF THOUGHT IS VERBOTEN!

WIR MÜSSEN DIE NATION VON FALSCH KONSERVATIVEN UND LIBERALEN SCHWEINEN SÄUBERN! DAS VATERLAND MUSS REIN SEIN! DAS VATERLAND IST FÜR JENE, DIE DONALD TRUMP IN IHREN GEIST UND DANN IN IHRE HERZEN AKZEPTIEREN!

WHOA! Sorry about that...I know how much hyperbole bothers people these days...
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Not that, but when you read..
Two longtime conservative Fox News commentators have resigned in protest of what they call a pattern of incendiary and fabricated claims by the network's opinion hosts in support of former President Donald Trump.
perspective kind of matters. At least that's what I wanted the asterisk for.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:22 pm

Not that, but when you read..
Two longtime conservative Fox News commentators have resigned in protest of what they call a pattern of incendiary and fabricated claims by the network's opinion hosts in support of former President Donald Trump.
perspective kind of matters. At least that's what I wanted the asterisk for.
I'm missing the point - where does the asterisk belong?
- Are they Fox News commentators? Yes.
- Have they been there a long time (whether you've heard of them or not)? Yes.
- Did they resign? Yes.

What am I missing?
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Both are warmongers. Hayes has wanted us to get into a war in Syria since Obama was president. I believe Goldberg did too.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:12 pm Both are warmongers. Hayes has wanted us to get into a war in Syria since Obama was president. I believe Goldberg did too.
Many conservatives are and did.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:12 pm Both are warmongers. Hayes has wanted us to get into a war in Syria since Obama was president. I believe Goldberg did too.
I do kind of remember that about Goldberg. I do not like neo-conservative interventionism.

One of Trump's big accomplishments was keeping the US from getting more entangled in foreign conflicts. Something that illiberal, pseudo-progressives like JSO can't seem to give him credit for.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:49 pm
I do kind of remember that about Goldberg. I do not like neo-conservative interventionism.

One of Trump's big accomplishments was keeping the US from getting more entangled in foreign conflicts. Something that illiberal, pseudo-progressives like JSO can't seem to give him credit for.
I find it humorous that liberals tout the neo-cons they normally hate like Hayes and Goldberg because "they quit Fox news" or "opposed Trump".
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:17 pm

:lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:37 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:49 pm

I find it humorous that liberals tout the neo-cons they normally hate like Hayes and Goldberg because "they quit Fox news" or "opposed Trump".
The mental gymnastics of all this partisanship is quite entertaining. I've heard of these two, I don't watch Fox News, but even I know enough about them to know they are standard run of the mill neo-cons that were butt hurt that Trump came along and upset their grift with his own brand.