Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:00 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 pm

So you can’t refute the data, so you can only attack the verbiage? :lol:

Surely even YOU can see the trend change AFTER 2011. And once again, you want to anoint him for success during a time when literally ANYONE could have had that kind of success. Tell you what: I’ll give him full credit for 10 and 11 if YOU acknowledge there was a definite downward trend AFTER that point. And a positive trend change once Trump took office.
First of all, I don't agree with your premise that the President controls the situation to the extent of saying "that kind of success." Secondly I don't agree with your apparent premise that it's easier to take over when a crisis is going on than it is to take over when the economy has been in recovery for years and everything is humming along.

I can disagree with your approach because it does not consider all the post-Trump data. It ignores the first half of 2019; which is characterized by below average numbers. And in those data two quarters is 20% of the post-Trump data.

Now, I will tell you that I did a preliminary trend analysis using the quarterly data 2012 through 2 quarters of 2019. So far it looks like a downward trend throughout the period that slows down during 2017 through the first half of 2019. Since I did initially find a trend I have to do some other stuff to make sure it holds up. I'd have to get some notes i use to do that out and I don't feel like doing that right now.

If it does hold up it still leaves the question of how important it is at this point that the downward trend slowed if the mean 2012-2016 is not significantly different than that for 2017 through half of 2019. There hasn't been any dramatic surge in creation of manufacturing jobs. In fact if you've been paying attention to reports you know that's been slowing recently. Example at https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1028577666.
Obama took over when there was nowhere to go but up. Worst recession in 75 years. QE1, 2 & 3 surely helped his cause.

Trump took over near (what appeared for all intents and purposes) the tail end of the 7 year expansion....yet, despite NO QE, several rate hikes, and his own stupidity (tariffs, etc) he’s managed to keep and even expand on Obama’s manufacturing numbers. And I can look at the graph YOU posted and see a trend shift. Looking at the quarterly data/annual averages just reinforces that trend change. 2019 isn’t done (or at least the data isn’t out). If it comes out that 3rd & 4th quarters look like 1st and 2nd, then there’s been another trend change. But it doesn’t change the fact that Trump reversed Obama’s downward spiral from 2012-2016. And you can call it what you want, but to ME, 100,000-140,000 MORE manufacturing jobs IS a surge.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:04 pm
CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 pm Obama's slow-play doesn't get any clearer than this:

https://www.cbpp.org/research/economy/c ... on-economy
Those look pretty consistent with the belief that what's going on under Trump is a continuation of something that started back in 2009 or 2010.
Why is the red line longer than the other lines? Is that relevant in any way? 8-)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:45 pm Why is the red line longer than the other lines? Is that relevant in any way? 8-)
It's the length of economic expansion (growth without recession).
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:45 pm Why is the red line longer than the other lines? Is that relevant in any way? 8-)
It's the length of economic expansion (growth without recession).
I know that Flaggy. The point that John has pointedly ignored is that the current expansion has been longer than others which is significant.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

At some point, JSO’s boss will confront him for wasting so much time Googling non-work-related stuff and can his ass.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:46 am At some point, JSO’s boss will confront him for wasting so much time Googling non-work-related stuff and can his ass.
Naw, I think he works for the gubmint so he is good. You have to practically kill someone to lose a gubmint job.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The Official

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:01 am
CAA Flagship wrote: It's the length of economic expansion (growth without recession).
I know that Flaggy. One of The many points that John has pointedly ignored is that the current expansion has been longer than others which is significant.

FIFY
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:02 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:01 am I know that Flaggy. One of The many points that John has pointedly ignored is that the current expansion has been longer than others which is significant.
FIFY
:thumb:
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:51 pm You don't get it? You don't understand averages? :dunce: :dunce:
:lol: Apparently, you don't ...
Last 36 months: President Obummer = 194,306 jobs per month
First 36 months: President Grifter = 182,916 jobs per month

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:05 pm Would you not expect that if the economy has been adding around 200,000 jobs per month during that period that you would see the total number increase over time?
Of course ... in the last 72 months, Grifter/Obummer has averaged 188,611 jobs per month. Sadly, AZ is pulling #'s out of his butt, making 'generous' assumptions and polishing Neander-Con Knobs.

Since the end of the Bush Recession, jobs (and GDP) have grown consistently for most folks and the labor participation rate has slightly increased. Yippee (rolling eyes).
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Aho Old Guy wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:35 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:51 pm You don't get it? You don't understand averages? :dunce: :dunce:

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:05 pm Would you not expect that if the economy has been adding around 200,000 jobs per month during that period that you would see the total number increase over time?
Of course ... in the last 72 months, Grifter/Obummer has averaged 188,611 jobs per month. Sadly, AZ is pulling #'s out of his butt, making 'generous' assumptions and polishing Neander-Con Knobs.

Since the end of the Bush Recession, jobs (and GDP) have grown consistently for most folks and the labor participation rate has slightly increased. Yippee (rolling eyes).
Try and keep up, “Old Guy”. The discussion was specifically about manufacturing jobs. And the numbers I “pulled out of” my butt were from the government website linked by JSO.

So, gigantic swing and a miss....not unexpected from you.
Last edited by AZGrizFan on Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:18 pm
Aho Old Guy wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:35 am

Try and keep up, “Old Guy”. The discussion was specifically about manufacturing jobs. And the numbers I “pulled out of” my butt were from the government website linked by JSO.

So, gigantic swing and a miss....always to be expected from you.
FIFY
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:30 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:00 pm

First of all, I don't agree with your premise that the President controls the situation to the extent of saying "that kind of success." Secondly I don't agree with your apparent premise that it's easier to take over when a crisis is going on than it is to take over when the economy has been in recovery for years and everything is humming along.

I can disagree with your approach because it does not consider all the post-Trump data. It ignores the first half of 2019; which is characterized by below average numbers. And in those data two quarters is 20% of the post-Trump data.

Now, I will tell you that I did a preliminary trend analysis using the quarterly data 2012 through 2 quarters of 2019. So far it looks like a downward trend throughout the period that slows down during 2017 through the first half of 2019. Since I did initially find a trend I have to do some other stuff to make sure it holds up. I'd have to get some notes i use to do that out and I don't feel like doing that right now.

If it does hold up it still leaves the question of how important it is at this point that the downward trend slowed if the mean 2012-2016 is not significantly different than that for 2017 through half of 2019. There hasn't been any dramatic surge in creation of manufacturing jobs. In fact if you've been paying attention to reports you know that's been slowing recently. Example at https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1028577666.
Obama took over when there was nowhere to go but up. Worst recession in 75 years. QE1, 2 & 3 surely helped his cause.

Trump took over near (what appeared for all intents and purposes) the tail end of the 7 year expansion....yet, despite NO QE, several rate hikes, and his own stupidity (tariffs, etc) he’s managed to keep and even expand on Obama’s manufacturing numbers. And I can look at the graph YOU posted and see a trend shift. Looking at the quarterly data/annual averages just reinforces that trend change. 2019 isn’t done (or at least the data isn’t out). If it comes out that 3rd & 4th quarters look like 1st and 2nd, then there’s been another trend change. But it doesn’t change the fact that Trump reversed Obama’s downward spiral from 2012-2016. And you can call it what you want, but to ME, 100,000-140,000 MORE manufacturing jobs IS a surge.
You did not get to see what would happen if Trump would have to have taken over during an actual economic crisis as Obama did. I think the idea that taking over in the midst of a long, slow, economic expansion is more difficult than taking over in the midst of a crisis where people are panicking is ridiculous.

I finished my analysis and, yes, there was a "significant" change in the trend with respect to manufacturing jobs associated with the period beginning with the first full quarter in which Trump was in charge. But then the downward trend resumed. Notably, it continued after the tax cut that was supposed to ramp things up.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:01 am
CAA Flagship wrote: It's the length of economic expansion (growth without recession).
I know that Flaggy. The point that John has pointedly ignored is that the current expansion has been longer than others which is significant.

I haven't ignored that at all. What I've said is that there is no basis for concluding that Trump is responsible for it's length.

I'm going to refer to a principle in probability/statistics. It's the idea that the fact that something has continued for a long time means what happens from here on out is affected.

Let's say you flipped a coin and got tails five times in a row. The chance that that would happen if you assess it before the fact is only 3%. So now you're going to flip the coin again. The chance before the first flip that you will get 6 tails in a row is 1.5%. But now that you've gotten five in a row, does that mean there's little chance of getting another tails?

The answer is no. The chance that you will get a tails on your next flip is 50% regardless of the fact that you previously got 5 tails in a row.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:45 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:04 pm

Those look pretty consistent with the belief that what's going on under Trump is a continuation of something that started back in 2009 or 2010.
Why is the red line longer than the other lines? Is that relevant in any way? 8-)
It is associated with the fact that we are in the longest recovery. That does not mean Trump is the reason for the fact that we are in the longest recovery. Nor does it mean the economy "turned around" during Trump. It did not.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:26 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:01 am I know that Flaggy. The point that John has pointedly ignored is that the current expansion has been longer than others which is significant.

I haven't ignored that at all. What I've said is that there is no basis for concluding that Trump is responsible for it's length.

I'm going to refer to a principle in probability/statistics. It's the idea that the fact that something has continued for a long time means what happens from here on out is affected.

Let's say you flipped a coin and got tails five times in a row. The chance that that would happen if you assess it before the fact is only 3%. So now you're going to flip the coin again. The chance before the first flip that you will get 6 tails in a row is 1.5%. But now that you've gotten five in a row, does that mean there's little chance of getting another tails?

The answer is no. The chance that you will get a tails on your next flip is 50% regardless of the fact that you previously got 5 tails in a row.
You are a weird motherfucker. :lol: :lol: :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:28 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:45 pm

It is associated with the fact that we are in the longest recovery. That does not mean Trump is the reason for the fact that we are in the longest recovery. Nor does it mean the economy "turned around" during Trump. It did not.
John. NOBODY has said the economy “turned around” during Trump’s presidency. Literally nobody—well, except maybe the president himself. My point (and Flaggy, and HI and anybody else with a brainstem) has been that he’s managed to keep the economy going in spite of factors Obama never had to face. And the economy has set a number of 30, 40, 50 and 60 year records in the process.

You keep arguing against statements that haven’t been made...you’re like Don Quixote battling the imaginary argument.
Last edited by AZGrizFan on Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:19 pm
I think the idea that taking over in the midst of a long, slow, economic expansion is more difficult than taking over in the midst of a crisis where people are panicking is ridiculous.
:rofl: :rofl:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:26 pm What I've said is that there is no basis for concluding that Trump is responsible for it's length.
W T F ?

So if Trump is not responsible for it's length, who is?

If you think Obama's economic policy history would have also produced this length of economic expansion, you are sadly mistaken. If you tell me that Obama would have made the proper moves given the change in direction of outside influences that occurred after he left office, I will say that he had 8 years to prove he would but didn't. To get to this point, it took a combination of policy moves and Trump came up with one that worked. All the while, he had one foot on the brake pedal with trade wars.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:29 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:26 pm What I've said is that there is no basis for concluding that Trump is responsible for it's length.
W T F ?

If you think Obama's economic policy history would have also produced this length of economic expansion, you are sadly mistaken. If you tell me that Obama would have made the proper moves given the change in direction of outside influences that occurred after he left office, I will say that he had 8 years to prove he would but didn't. To get to this point, it took a combination of policy moves and Trump came up with one that worked. All the while, he had one foot on the brake pedal with trade wars.
That’s the hilarious part. If he hadn’t worked so hard shooting his own economic growth in the foot he would have gotten his 3% GDP that he bragged about during the election.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CAA Flagship wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:29 pm
W T F ?

You guys have no evidence at all that we were at the "tail end" of an economic recovery. Neither you nor I know what would've happened if Obama would've had another four years or if Hillary had gotten elected. What we do know is that we were in an economic recovery.

Also, we were not in a downward spiral. Like the thing with the manufacturing jobs. Yes, if you zoom in you can see a spike in quarterly manufacturing jobs halfway through 2009 through mid 2010 followed by a declining trend then an uptick in 2017 followed by another declining trend. And if you use a bar graph where the bottom is 385 thousand like the first one below (add 385 to the x axis number to get the total number represented) you can readily see it.

But if you zoom out to see the forest with the scale set to include the entire number each quarter there is no dramatic change evident. It just looks like a pretty steady situation with consistent production of manufacturing jobs somewhere around the 400 thousand level. There were no big changes, in terms of practical significance, during the period. Not to any reasonable person viewing the data anyway.

Obama quarters indicated by "O" and Trump quarters indicated by "T." "X" is January 2017.

Zooming in on the tops of the bars:

The broad perspective (looking at the forest):
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:37 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:26 pm

What I'm trying to get across to you is that it's not valid to day that an "run" is "due" to end based simply on the fact that the current "run" is long by historical standards. You have absolutely no basis for thinking we were at the tail end of an expansion when Trump took office and that Trump caused it to continue.
Could I ever be a star?

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:13 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:37 pm

What I'm trying to get across to you is that it's not valid to day that an "run" is "due" to end based simply on the fact that the current "run" is long by historical standards. You have absolutely no basis for thinking we were at the tail end of an expansion when Trump took office and that Trump caused it to continue.
Longest period of sustained growth in US history, John. It was expected because it was typical.

I'm fine with not giving Trump credit for it because I think the notion that the president is completely in the driver's seat of the economy is childish, but if you could go back to 2016 and show the quarterly growth numbers through the end of 2019 there's no way you and other like-minded people would predict that Trump had won.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

I think Trump does deserve credit for sustaining the growth. The Fed was on a path to screw it up. Trump called them out and the Fed backed down.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

HI54UNI wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:05 pm I think Trump does deserve credit for sustaining the growth. The Fed was on a path to screw it up. Trump called them out and the Fed backed down.
You seriously think that Trump knows more about managing the macro-economy than the people on the Federal Reserve Board do?
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Pwns wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:13 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:13 pm

Longest period of sustained growth in US history, John. It was expected because it was typical.

I'm fine with not giving Trump credit for it because I think the notion that the president is completely in the driver's seat of the economy is childish, but if you could go back to 2016 and show the quarterly growth numbers through the end of 2019 there's no way you and other like-minded people would predict that Trump had won.
I don't know exactly what you're saying but I think I've seen you express enough knowledge of probability and statistics to know what I am talking about. What I think I am seeing is people thinking the recovery should have ended just because it was a long recovery.

Say you are a gambler. You look at the probability of rolling a die 100 times and never having it land on 1. Before the first roll it's 1 chance in 83 million. So let's say someone has rolled the die 99 times and never gotten a 1. Do you think it's pretty much a lock that it's going to be 1 on the 100th roll because, before things started, there was an 83 million to one chance of getting at least one 1 in 100 rolls? No, you don't. Because you know that regardless of what happened in the first 99 rolls there is 1 chance in 6 that the next roll will be a 1.

And I think the idea of thinking that just because a recovery has gone on for 7 years means the chances are high that it's going to end during the next 1 or 2 years is a similar scenario. I don't know of any reason to suggest that a recession is more likely to occur next year by virtue of the duration of the recovery. Sure, we can say beforehand based on history that it's not likely that we will have a recovery lasting more than X months or X years. But once we get to X months or X years that does not mean the likelihood of recession in the next X +1 or X+ 2 years is now high.
Could I ever be a star?