AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:33 am
HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:46 am

What a stupid article. Why don't they list what the Dow numbers were for Obama's first term? The numbers were smaller so the percent gain looks bigger. Would people look at it differently if the article said the Dow gained 11,130 points during Trump's term but only 5,700 points during Obama's first term? Same would be true of Clinton vs. Obama.
The stupid part is measuring economic success with the stock market always as the headline feature. This is true of both Obama and Trump. I don’t know if anyone noticed or cares but there is still a shit ton of disenfranchised people out there from rust belt Uber patriots to Fight for 15 Northwest hipsters.

But hey!...a rising tide!...or something!
Agreed. Trump set so many other meaningful economic records during his presidency, the stock market should be about 10th or 11th on the list of accomplishments. Many of those records will certainly not be broken in my lifetime, and not my children’s lifetime.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:55 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:33 am

The stupid part is measuring economic success with the stock market always as the headline feature. This is true of both Obama and Trump. I don’t know if anyone noticed or cares but there is still a shit ton of disenfranchised people out there from rust belt Uber patriots to Fight for 15 Northwest hipsters.

But hey!...a rising tide!...or something!
Agreed. Trump set so many other meaningful economic records during his presidency, the stock market should be about 10th or 11th on the list of accomplishments. Many of those records will certainly not be broken in my lifetime, and not my children’s lifetime.
Which records that benefit the working class? I’m genuinely curious.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Saw this on twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: The Official

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:19 am
HI54UNI wrote:
What a stupid article. Why don't they list what the Dow numbers were for Obama's first term? The numbers were smaller so the percent gain looks bigger. Would people look at it differently if the article said the Dow gained 11,130 points during Trump's term but only 5,700 points during Obama's first term? Same would be true of Clinton vs. Obama.
Honestly - it should be a good review of Trump. The stock market performed phenomenally in his 4 years. Especially last years rebound. 56% is nothing to sneeze at.

Also - I hope the unemployment figures of the Trump years don’t get lost in the static of his legacy. Serious gains were made there. We should be thankful for that. And that we had no wars. That’s a huge plus!

And wage growth among Team Brown and blacks during that time. :nod:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

I'm sure the Trump Presidential Library will be in S Florida..and absolutely YUGE. In the meantime:

While looking up news on Trumps' POTUS library, I looked up info on Obama's. It hasn't even broken ground yet.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/governm ... ama-center
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Trump launches new communications platform..
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... cebook-ban
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:50 pm I'm sure the Trump Presidential Library will be in S Florida..and absolutely YUGE. In the meantime:

While looking up news on Trumps' POTUS library, I looked up info on Obama's. It hasn't even broken ground yet.
I can't see your link but I haven't seen anything about a Trump library (for one, it sorta of cements his presidency as 1 term).

https://djtrumplibrary.com/
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:40 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:50 pm I'm sure the Trump Presidential Library will be in S Florida..and absolutely YUGE. In the meantime:

I can't see your link but I haven't seen anything about a Trump library (for one, it sorta of cements his presidency as 1 term).

https://djtrumplibrary.com/
Is a library really the right way to memorialize Trump? Wouldn't an amusement park or similar be more appropriate? Post your nominations and we can have a poll ...
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:46 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:58 am
President Trump is closing out his time in office with a significant increase in the stock market, but has fallen short of stock gains seen under predecessors former Presidents Obama and Clinton.

From Trump's inauguration day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose from 19,827 to 30,930 on Tuesday, a 56 percent increase.

That increase is below the 73.2 percent rise the Dow saw in Obama's first term, or the 105.8 percent increase under Clinton's first term.

ADVERTISEMENT
A similar trend was true for the S&P 500, which gained 67.8 percent under Trump, rising from 2,263 to 3,799. It gained 84.5 percent in Obama's first term, and 79.2 percent in Clinton's first term.

The sole exception in the past three decades has been former President George W. Bush, who saw the Dow fall 3.7 percent and the S&P fall 12.5 percent in his first four years in office.

The figure will be unwelcome news to Trump, who frequently touted the stock market's performance as a sign of his economic acumen and business-minded policies.

[/quote

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/5348 ... ma-clinton
That's the way it works, H. What matters is the percent gain. Actually, it would be pretty bad to gauge performance in terms of points gained because the whole point is percent gain. Of COURSE people who around later in history are going to be associated with higher point gains. The percent gain is what matters.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Go ahead and list them so I can debunk. Certainly wouldn't have been GDP growth. Wouldn't have been job creation numbers. As you note it wasn't the stock market. Only thing I can possibly see is unemployment rate and, as we've discussed many times, most of the decline in unemployment occurred before he took office. And please don't say he set a record for the longest recovery because he was not in office for most of it.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Also - I hope the unemployment figures of the Trump years don’t get lost in the static of his legacy. Serious gains were made there.

Sigh. Again: The unemployment rate declined from a high of 10% in October, 2009, to 4.7% at the end of 2016. Then it declined a little bit more to 3.5% in late 2019 and early 2020. See graph below. The reddish arrow is when Trump took office.The idea that Trump was responsible for low unemployment given the trend that was in place and the fact that most of the progress towards that low rate happened before he took office is absolutely ridiculous. Trump did not "cause" historically low unemployment.

If the Trump legacy includes the idea that he was responsible for the very low unemployment rates it will include a false idea. Most of the progress was made before he took office.

Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Go ahead and list them so I can debunk. Certainly wouldn't have been GDP growth. Wouldn't have been job creation numbers. As you note it wasn't the stock market. Only thing I can possibly see is unemployment rate and, as we've discussed many times, most of the decline in unemployment occurred before he took office. And please don't say he set a record for the longest recovery because he was not in office for most of it.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I love how you pull a 5-month old post out to decide to debate today.

Why would I bother? You’ve proven beyond a shadow of a doubt you don’t give two shits about actual facts.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:22 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Because I just saw it.
Why would I bother? You’ve proven beyond a shadow of a doubt you don’t give two shits about actual facts.
In other words: You still don't have good arguments for saying stuff like that.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:25 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:22 pm

Because I just saw it.
In other words: You still don't have good arguments for saying stuff like that.
John: I’ve made my arguments a dozen times. And a dozen times you’ve attempted to shoot them down, with your only accomplishment being proving you have little/no understanding of economics or what underlying issues impact the data. So, I’m walking away...First rule is don’t argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:12 pm
Also - I hope the unemployment figures of the Trump years don’t get lost in the static of his legacy. Serious gains were made there.

Sigh. Again: The unemployment rate declined from a high of 10% in October, 2009, to 4.7% at the end of 2016. Then it declined a little bit more to 3.5% in late 2019 and early 2020. See graph below. The reddish arrow is when Trump took office.The idea that Trump was responsible for low unemployment given the trend that was in place and the fact that most of the progress towards that low rate happened before he took office is absolutely ridiculous. Trump did not "cause" historically low unemployment.

If the Trump legacy includes the idea that he was responsible for the very low unemployment rates it will include a false idea. Most of the progress was made before he took office.

Trump is building off his predecessor. Obama built off Bush.

Guess what - Biden is building off Trumps. That's how administrations, progress and failures work. :ohno: :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

“Fugitive at large” !

:lol:

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/pl ... YH0lEOPxME

An obscure clause in Florida’s statute on interstate extradition gives Gov. RON DESANTIS the ability to intervene and even investigate whether an indicted “person ought to be surrendered” to law enforcement officials from another state — which means that as Mar-a-Lago prepares to close down for the season and Trump relocates to Bedminster, N.J., it isn’t just the Florida heat he’s leaving behind: He could lose a key piece of political protection.

“The statute leaves room for interpretation that the governor has the power to order a review and potentially not comply with the extradition notice,” says JOE ABRUZZO, clerk of the Circuit Court of Palm Beach County, the official who would be in charge of opening a potential fugitive-at-large case.

One wrinkle to Abruzzo’s potential role in all of this: He is a former close associate of President JOE BIDEN’S younger brother, FRANK. Abruzzo tells Playbook that despite his friendship with the Biden family, “the full extent of the law will be followed and carried out appropriately, without bias.”

If an indictment comes down while Trump is in Bedminster for the summer, this could all play out very differently. New Jersey’s extradition statute is similar to Florida’s, giving the governor the power to investigate an out-of-state warrant. But its governor is Democrat PHIL MURPHY, who is no fan of Trump’s, and would not likely intervene to stop Trump’s extradition. In the event of an indictment, Trump’s lawyers could also negotiate a condition of surrender, which could cut local law enforcement out. An attorney for Trump declined to comment.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:05 am “Fugitive at large” !

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/pl ... YH0lEOPxME

An obscure clause in Florida’s statute on interstate extradition gives Gov. RON DESANTIS the ability to intervene and even investigate whether an indicted “person ought to be surrendered” to law enforcement officials from another state — which means that as Mar-a-Lago prepares to close down for the season and Trump relocates to Bedminster, N.J., it isn’t just the Florida heat he’s leaving behind: He could lose a key piece of political protection.

“The statute leaves room for interpretation that the governor has the power to order a review and potentially not comply with the extradition notice,” says JOE ABRUZZO, clerk of the Circuit Court of Palm Beach County, the official who would be in charge of opening a potential fugitive-at-large case.

One wrinkle to Abruzzo’s potential role in all of this: He is a former close associate of President JOE BIDEN’S younger brother, FRANK. Abruzzo tells Playbook that despite his friendship with the Biden family, “the full extent of the law will be followed and carried out appropriately, without bias.”

If an indictment comes down while Trump is in Bedminster for the summer, this could all play out very differently. New Jersey’s extradition statute is similar to Florida’s, giving the governor the power to investigate an out-of-state warrant. But its governor is Democrat PHIL MURPHY, who is no fan of Trump’s, and would not likely intervene to stop Trump’s extradition. In the event of an indictment, Trump’s lawyers could also negotiate a condition of surrender, which could cut local law enforcement out. An attorney for Trump declined to comment.
Trump is so far inside the heads of liberals he's living rent free.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Vaccine is making America great again.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:19 am Vaccine developed under Trump's administration is making America great again.
FIFY :kisswink:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:50 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:19 am Vaccine developed under Trump's administration is making America great again.
Yeah...they started developing it in 2020.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:29 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:50 am

Why are so many Trump supporters against the vaccine?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:37 am
kalm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:29 am

Because we're not pussies. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:06 am

So herd immunity < convincing the universe you’re not a pussy.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Because we're not as smart as we think we are. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
FIFY

I don't trust Bankers and Microsoft Billionaires with medical advice.
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:27 am

So herd immunity < convincing the universe you’re not a pussy.

it slots in there somewhere... :suspicious: :suspicious: