Political discussions
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Corps of Engineers denies DAL pipeline

Post by houndawg »

Comment from security guard at entrance on two-mile long line of vehicles: "Every other car is veterans."
Subvert the dominant paradigm

Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Corps of Engineers denies DAL pipeline

Post by Gil Dobie »

For the safety of the protesters from the Dakota winter, it has been stopped. Just a matter of time for the Trump White House Corp will continue the pipeline.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Gil Dobie wrote:For the safety of the protesters from the Dakota winter, it has been stopped. Just a matter of time for the Trump White House Corp will continue the pipeline.
...... a Captain Obvious revelation given that the President-elect is personally invested in the pipeline.. :coffee:

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Are my fellow veterans here not proud of their brothers and sisters backing down the jack-booted thugs at Standing Rock?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by GrizFanStuckInUtah »

-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
-Thank you to all our Veterans. :bow:

Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

Via Truth Revolt:

Tensions are rising at the North Dakota Access Pipeline protests at Standing Rock after an increase in complaints of white people “colonizing the camps” and treating it more like a Burning Man festival than a political rally. And if environmentalism is anyone’s motivation, the 3,000 people who have come and gone from the area aren’t any proof because they are not leaving it better than they found it.

In a Facebook post, one protester, Alicia Smith, laid out her issues:

On my way back from the camps. Need to get something off my chest that I witnessed and found very disturbing in my brief time there that I believe many others have started to speak up about as well.
White people are colonizing the camps. I mean that seriously. Plymouth rock seriously. They are coming in, taking food, clothing and occupying space without any desire to participate in camp maintenance and without respect of tribal protocols.

These people are treating it like it is Burning Man or The Rainbow Gathering and I even witnessed several wandering in and out of camps comparing it to those festivals.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Bronco wrote:
Via Truth Revolt:

Tensions are rising at the North Dakota Access Pipeline protests at Standing Rock after an increase in complaints of white people “colonizing the camps” and treating it more like a Burning Man festival than a political rally. And if environmentalism is anyone’s motivation, the 3,000 people who have come and gone from the area aren’t any proof because they are not leaving it better than they found it.

In a Facebook post, one protester, Alicia Smith, laid out her issues:

On my way back from the camps. Need to get something off my chest that I witnessed and found very disturbing in my brief time there that I believe many others have started to speak up about as well.
White people are colonizing the camps. I mean that seriously. Plymouth rock seriously. They are coming in, taking food, clothing and occupying space without any desire to participate in camp maintenance and without respect of tribal protocols.

These people are treating it like it is Burning Man or The Rainbow Gathering and I even witnessed several wandering in and out of camps comparing it to those festivals.
Old news, the veterans got things under control. Aren't you proud of the way our veterans stepped up, Bruno? :thumb:

YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

Apparently dal's drug problem was bigger than I realized.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?

Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5

Post by Gil Dobie »

houndawg wrote:
Bronco wrote:
Old news, the veterans got things under control. Aren't you proud of the way our veterans stepped up, Bruno? :thumb:
That's debatable, vets came when Obama halted construction. Everything settled down after that. Right now it's the Sheriffs department saving the protesters lives during the current blizzard.

Bismarck Tribune

This is despite continued winter weather warnings from government agencies and the tribal chairman. The governor ordered a mandatory evacuation of the camp prior to last week's blizzard, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said the camp would close Monday due to the weather and confrontations with law enforcement. Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Chairman Dave Archambault II issued a video statement Monday requesting everyone go home in the wake of the army's decision to not approve the easement and to avoid the harsh winter.

All warnings have gone largely unheeded by the protesters, who want to see the pipeline officially stopped.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
houndawg wrote:
That's debatable, vets came when Obama halted construction. Everything settled down after that. Right now it's the Sheriffs department saving the protesters lives during the current blizzard.

Bismarck Tribune

This is despite continued winter weather warnings from government agencies and the tribal chairman. The governor ordered a mandatory evacuation of the camp prior to last week's blizzard, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said the camp would close Monday due to the weather and confrontations with law enforcement. Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Chairman Dave Archambault II issued a video statement Monday requesting everyone go home in the wake of the army's decision to not approve the easement and to avoid the harsh winter.

All warnings have gone largely unheeded by the protesters, who want to see the pipeline officially stopped.
Not true. They'd been planning the vet thing for a couple weeks.

Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Bismarck Tribune

What's not true? My wording could have been better. Vets did plan and come, but Obama halted construction, so they didn't really affect anything as the decision came down on Friday, the Vets were scheduled for Saturday. A day later.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
What's not true? My wording could have been better. Vets did plan and come, but Obama halted construction, so they didn't really affect anything as the decision came down on Friday, the Vets were schedule for Saturday. A day later.
Gotcha. It read like vets only came because Obama halted it.

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Bismarck Tribune

Yep. And when they showed up is when the authorities changed their tune. Beating up tree huggers and girls is one thing....

Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5

Post by Gil Dobie »

houndawg wrote:
kalm wrote:
Yep. And when they showed up is when the authorities changed their tune. Beating up tree huggers and girls is one thing....
Do you have a link showing they beat up tree huggers and girls? Nothing has changed since 12/2 when the President stopped the pipeline. Been storming since Monday, the protesters have been trying to keep alive instead of causing trouble.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Beamer, er, Fuenteball

Post by Rob Iola »

So if Trump tweets "1/21 Pipeline's a go! Best pipeline ever! Huge! Beautiful! #MAGA" Mother Nature would effectively take care of a large portion of the liberal protesters?

:popcorn:

Proletarians of the world, unite!

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Just symbolic right now. Clearly they're going to finish the last 1,000 ft of this pipeline when Trump takes over, and considering this thing already crosses rivers and streams in lots of places and actually follows an existing pipeline that does the same, this as never really been a real safety issue. It's always been a symbolic protest of government in general and the fossil fuel industries in general. Assuming they can dig in the hard ground in January, it'll get done then while it's too cold to protest.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation