Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: War on Christmas, 2016

Post by kalm »

JoltinJoe wrote:Also, as an side, with respect to generic prayer in schools, you can expect that this will become a hot issue within the next four years.

Appellate rulings within the past generation have held that, even though a student may not be "compelled" to pray along, there may be a stigma associated with not praying along in a school environment, given the reality of "peer pressure" and the need to "fit it." This contrasts with a public meeting setting, where an adult is presumed to have the maturity to act in accordance with his or her own conscience and belief.

For the most part, I'm ok with that reasoning, but I do think that students should be offered a minute of silence at the beginning of the day to reflect, or pray, if that is their choice. For the life of me, I can't figure out why such laws would be unconstitutional. No one knows what you are doing in your head during that minute: reflecting, praying, or lusting after the head cheerleader a row over from you. :lol:
I have no issue with a moment of silence. The "generic prayer" slope is a little more slippery if you're an atheist but I also don't take much issue with that.

However, you're concept of "generic preference" as it relates to this instance is complete lawyering bullshit. :lol:
so long as the act does not "establish" any particular religion.
In this case, while the poster was a generic display of religion, it favored no particular Christian religious faith
Of course, any other staff member could likewise display a poster that shows the same kind of generic preference toward Islam, or Judaism, Hinduism, etc.
So it's OK as long as the faith has multiple denominations? Or does that only apply to Christians?

What defines a "particular religious faith"?

Christians disagree about whether "Christ is the lord and that's what Christmas is all about".

Please explain again what "generic" preference means?

Jesus..... :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

JoltinJoe wrote:Also, as an side, with respect to generic prayer in schools, you can expect that this will become a hot issue within the next four years.

Appellate rulings within the past generation have held that, even though a student may not be "compelled" to pray along, there may be a stigma associated with not praying along in a school environment, given the reality of "peer pressure" and the need to "fit it." This contrasts with a public meeting setting, where an adult is presumed to have the maturity to act in accordance with his or her own conscience and belief.

For the most part, I'm ok with that reasoning, but I do think that students should be offered a minute of silence at the beginning of the day to reflect, or pray, if that is their choice. For the life of me, I can't figure out why such laws would be unconstitutional. No one knows what you are doing in your head during that minute: reflecting, praying, or lusting after the head cheerleader a row over from you. :lol:
I have no issue with that. I remember moments of silence during the few years I attended public school. Hell, even when I was enrolled in a Catholic school, I never prayed.

Spoiler: show
To a testament of how well indoctrinated I was, I haven't been to a religious service in almost a decade and I can still recite all the prayers with no problem. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:

I have no issue with a moment of silence. The "generic prayer" slope is a little more slippery if you're an atheist but I also don't take much issue with that.

However, you're concept of "generic preference" as it relates to this instance is complete lawyering bullshit. :lol:
so long as the act does not "establish" any particular religion.
In this case, while the poster was a generic display of religion, it favored no particular Christian religious faith
Of course, any other staff member could likewise display a poster that shows the same kind of generic preference toward Islam, or Judaism, Hinduism, etc.
So it's OK as long as the faith has multiple denominations? Or does that only apply to Christians?

What defines a "particular religious faith"?

Christians disagree about whether "Christ is the lord and that's what Christmas is all about".

Please explain again what "generic" preference means?

Jesus..... :lol:
Atheists need to STFU.

As do Evangelical Christians. And Jews. And Muslims. :kisswink:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I quickly googled "generic preference + US Supreme Court" and all I found was cases relating to pharmaceuticals. However, I read Marsh v Chambers and Town of Greece v. Galloway. I see what you're saying.
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

This guy has a way to win

phpBB [video]
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Exactly how does that "violate the Constitution?" What article? What clause?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

All would be better if the atheists and the whacky evangelical Christians would just live and let live and then we wouldn't have to worry about whether a Christmas display or a Halloween parade was going to offend or persecute either one respectively.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Bronco wrote:This guy has a way to win

phpBB [video]
The guy he refers to that the ACLU goes to find who is offended... kalm, do they have your address?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SuperHornet wrote:Exactly how does that "violate the Constitution?" What article? What clause?
Not Santa. :coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:Image
:lol: :lol:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

:lol:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
Bronco wrote:This guy has a way to win

phpBB [video]
The guy he refers to that the ACLU goes to find who is offended... kalm, do they have your address?
"Christophobic predators!" "Radical Secularists!"

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The day another religion's icons dominate the public square is the day Christians would become big ACLU fans. :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

This guy gets it... :lol:

phpBB [video]
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:The day another religion's icons dominate the public square is the day Christians would become big ACLU fans. :nod:
Yeah, hold your breath for that one kalm. :roll:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:The day another religion's icons dominate the public square is the day Christians would become big ACLU fans. :nod:
Yeah, hold your breath for that one kalm. :roll:
That's why I used the word "would". As in hypothetical. And I didn't expect you to see the big picture and the intent of the founders and all that. :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yeah, hold your breath for that one kalm. :roll:
That's why I used the word "would". As in hypothetical. And I didn't expect you to see the big picture and the intent of the founders and all that. :lol:
It would be nice if your hypothetical had even a 0.1% chance of happening... but then again, playing it safe is probably a good call for you on this one.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:This guy gets it... :lol:

phpBB [video]
I heard this on satellite radio the other day. Some assclown said the pastor was really Mike Pence. Fake news! :o
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
It would be nice if your hypothetical had even a 0.1% chance of happening... but then again, playing it safe is probably a good call for you on this one.
Yes. Because the constitution is was never based on hypotheticals... :roll:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Absolutely brilliant. :lol: :clap:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: It would be nice if your hypothetical had even a 0.1% chance of happening... but then again, playing it safe is probably a good call for you on this one.
kalm, it's really sad to see how far off the deep end you've gone this year. :(
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

What's the score...are we still winning the war?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Watching kalm and 89hen...
It's like a puppy battle - both are so cute and nice to each other
unlike a Cluck vs. ______ anybody

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
kalm, it's really sad to see how far off the deep end you've gone this year. :(
What? I'm told all the time that the 2nd amendment is there in case of the hypothetical scenario where Alpha has to protect us from a tyrannical government??? I'm sure there are other examples?

Btw, you should really come up with a new go to line for when you don't have an answer... :lol: