Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Political discussions
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:46 am Image
Don't know his full thoughts, but at least what he says in this meme, I agree with wholeheartedly.

To think if you simply listen and do what a televangelist tells you to do and you will earn favor with God flies in the face of what Jesus died for.

By saying that sort of shit like "Jesus will bless you, only if you do this" takes away from Jesus. It implies his sacrifice wasn't enough and you have to "work" your way to heaven.

Paul warned many churches that they kept falling back into this line of thinking.
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:04 am
Don't know his full thoughts, but at least what he says in this meme, I agree with wholeheartedly.

To think if you simply listen and do what a televangelist tells you to do and you will earn favor with God flies in the face of what Jesus died for.

By saying that sort of shit like "Jesus will bless you, only if you do this" takes away from Jesus. It implies his sacrifice wasn't enough and you have to "work" your way to heaven.

Paul warned many churches that they kept falling back into this line if thinking.
:nod: :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Paul warned many churches that they kept falling back into this line of thinking.
Are Jesus's blessing automatic? Or do you need to genuinely ask for forgiveness of your sins?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 am

Are Jesus's blessing automatic? Or do you need to genuinely ask for forgiveness of your sins?
I'll say yes to genuinely asking. Don't think lip service cuts it.

When Jesus was asked by the Pharisee which was the most important Mosaic law to uphold, he replied "to love God with all your might" and the rest could be summarized as "treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated". If Jesus fulfilled ALL the laws, then I would hope one would then lead their lives in a manner that would reflect how Jesus lived his life.

At the risk of sounding just like the televangelist telling you what to do, that's not the case. I do not speak for Jesus. Just my thoughts and it's a question I think about often.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:36 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 am

When Jesus was asked by the Pharisee which was the most important Mosaic law to uphold, he replied "to love God with all your might" and the rest could be summarized as "treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated". If Jesus fulfilled ALL the laws, then I would hope one would then lead their lives in a manner that would reflect how Jesus lived his life.

At the risk of sounding just like the televangelist telling you what to do, that's not the case. I do not speak for Jesus. Just my thoughts and it's a question I think about often.
I agree with you that the answer is yes and that neither of us speaks for Jesus.

I asked because genuinely asking for forgiveness of your sins falls under "Jesus will bless you, only if you do this". Does it take away from Jesus? IMO what someone is asked to do for Jesus' blessing matters - genuinely asking for forgiveness is different from giving money to some wealthy televangelist.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:49 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:36 am

I agree with you that the answer is yes and that neither of us speaks for Jesus.

I asked because genuinely asking for forgiveness of your sins falls under "Jesus will bless you, only if you do this". Does it take away from Jesus? IMO what someone is asked to do for Jesus' blessing matters - genuinely asking for forgiveness is different from giving money to some wealthy televangelist.
Just so we are on the same page, I feel that accepting Jesus is different than asking for sins to be forgiven. Jesus fulfilled all the Laws and thus accepting him on your behalf is what allows the sins to be forgiven.

Might be splitting hairs, but wanted to clarify my stance.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:23 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:49 am

Just so we are on the same page, I feel that accepting Jesus is different than asking for sins to be forgiven. Jesus fulfilled all the Laws and thus accepting him on your behalf is what allows the sins to be forgiven.

Makes sense. I take issue with the people who are jerks 6 days a week but go to church on Sundays, sing hallelujah and think their sins are forgiven. Are their sins forgiven if they continue to be jerks? I would argue that they haven't really accepted Jesus or genuinely asked for forgiveness so no they haven't been forgiven.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:23 am

Makes sense. I take issue with the people who are jerks 6 days a week but go to church on Sundays, sing hallelujah and think their sins are forgiven. Are their sins forgiven if they continue to be jerks? I would argue that they haven't really accepted Jesus or genuinely asked for forgiveness so no they haven't been forgiven.
We had a term for people like that growing up in the Catholic church. They were "Three Day Catholics" as they only showed up for Christmas, Easter and maybe one other day out of the year.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:59 pm

We had a term for people like that growing up in the Catholic church. They were "Three Day Catholics" as they only showed up for Christmas, Easter and maybe one other day out of the year.
We called them Cafeteria Catholics :nod:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:18 pm

We called them Cafeteria Catholics :nod:
I've heard the term "Chreasters".

Cafeteria Catholics normally refer to Catholics that do show up, but just pick and choose what part of the Church they agree with (for or against abortion, for or against increased roles for women, etc)
:coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Growing up, I saw plenty of people in church every Sunday who were selfish, self-absorbed jerks the rest of the week. It was part of what turned me off to organized religion.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:03 pm

Growing up, I saw plenty of people in church every Sunday who were selfish, self-absorbed jerks the rest of the week. It was part of what turned me off to organized religion.
It is why I identify as an independent in this area as well. :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:08 pm
My connection to God is a lot stronger when I'm standing on a mountain top or next to a waterfall after a good hike than it is when sitting in any church.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:10 pm

My connection to God is a lot stronger when I'm standing on a mountain top or next to a waterfall after a good hike than it is when sitting in any church.
:nod:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Better to be an asshole 7 days a week. Consistency..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

As a kid I always felt that we were worshiping the priest, or the bishop. Didn’t like that at ALL.

Haven’t been to a church (building) other than for my first marriage since I was about 16. And agreed about being on a mountain top. :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:38 pm

As a kid I always felt that we were worshiping the priest, or the bishop. Didn’t like that at ALL.

Haven’t been to a church (building) other than for my first marriage since I was about 16. And agreed about being on a mountain top. :nod: :nod:
What about weddings & funerals?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ditto. NW Iowa is full of them.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:03 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:38 pm

What about weddings & funerals?
I meant for church services.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Bobcat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

phpBB [video]
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:51 am Image
:lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

:nod: Anyone that has bothered to read even the slightest bit of the New Testament knows the "prosperity preachers" are full of shit.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Yup.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »