Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Political discussions
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:29 am
Winterborn wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:12 am

So are you (the point not point thing). ;)

It is my opinion that one has to be extremely skeptical of anybody claiming to "speak" for "conservatives" (and I put that in quotes as it is most definitely not a cohesive group and there are many players and wannabe players vying for that title). The players are part old guard who are not really conservative but like the statues quo as they know how it works and got rich off it by peddling their influence. Then there are those who who wish to be like the old guard as the route to power is mapped out. Then you have those that are fringe and are so forefront in peoples minds due to the 24/7 'news" coverage of them making them seem larger than life and amplifying every little belief they hold and painting it as a trend in the Republican Party or among conservatives.

All this is propped up by a network of media that both consumes what the above groups produce and funds it as a way of furthering their influence and bottom line. CNN, Fox, etc. do not care about their content outside of the narrative it pushes. None are interested in finding out what actually happened, just one-upping the others.

If you want to know what conservative voters actually think and believe, one needs to ditch the theatrics and pageantry of our media circus, and talk to voters directly to see where they fall. You are going to get a wide variety of answers but common trends will arise. I have done this over the last decade or so and get a good chuckle out of what the paid "experts" state. It is the only way to give a good foundation to understanding exactly what people are thinking and grants a good basis to weed out the ore from the slag that our media pushes. There is a massive disconnect between what shows up on Twitter and other media sites just due to their publication models. One does not become a "story" unless you stick out. Holding pragmatic or middle of the road views (which is tangentially shown in multiple polls and voting results as the majority has shown to reject the extremes) does not sell stories nor drive clicks.

You and I were discussing skepticism and critical thinking a few days back. Both of these ideas need to be expressed and practiced when viewing any media stories. There are many reasons why information is "published", almost none have to do with the facts. Most people are being controlled/influenced by whatever narrative is being pushed by their respective "side" and they do not realize it. It happens to all of us and it requires us to take a step back and look at something objectively before accepting it.

My above advice goes is the same for the Democrats/"liberals". I do not attribute the entire party by what AOC is blabbing about, but realize that the party and voters is much more complex than that. Granted I will still make fun of her and her little group but there are Republicans/"conservatives" that deserve it just as much.

If one is curious about the reaction to a article, put some thought behind a post and pose a question or two rather than just dropping a tweet with no background on it. I ignore twatter for a reason and it is mainly due to the vapid thought process it encourages.
Well again…I agree with a whole bunch of this. It’s a fair bit of neccessary messenger killing.

That said, it’s also just opinion rather than news. To completely disregard the take of a leading conservative mind who’s father founded The National Review and who’s run closely in conservative power circles is similar to not recognizing Trump as the leader of the one major Conservative party in American politics.

I’ve never liked Bill Kristol but I agree with him here and I’m honestly hoping that sane conservatives eventually recognize the ‘you broke it, you fix it” responsibility needed and take back their party.

We’re better as a country when we have a vibrant and rational conservative movement. But it’s broken right now and many prominent conservatives agree. There just needs to be more of them and they need to be even more vocal.

Strip away the political bullshit and most Americans agree on the big issues of limited government, human rights, property rights, and economic stability.

Still friends? :mrgreen:
You drive a very hard bargain but I think we still can be friends. :nod: The rust from our hobbies is still binding. :lol: 8-)

You are correct it is an opinion (just like mine is) and I do not think I stated that it should be ignored, just that it needs to be considered in light of a bunch of other factors. As for his provenance, the saying "A mill cannot grind with water that is past" applies here, IMHO.

I would say cracked, not broken as many of those "prominent conservatives" do not like seeing their power eroded by what they perceive as outsiders who are not beholden to the old guard (This is happening and has been happening in ND for the past 8 years. The State Supreme Court just unanimously tossed a decision to remove a ballot measure that was rejected improperly by the Secretary of State (who is in bed with some lifer/grifters in the State legislators)). Can it be drastically improved? I would agree that it can. Right now we have a changing in the system and some very vocal people are not happy with the change and the media is happy to pick and choose voices to "legitimize". I have experienced this first hand in dealing with the only media in the state (InForum) and the fact that it only reports the viewpoints that are approved by our Governor (the largest owner of property in Fargo and one of the richest individual in the state).

Interestingly enough our media here (in ND) is a microcosm of what I have experienced and seen in our national media. A media that is not independent is good for nobody that is looking for the facts.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

FBI Concerned That If MAGA Doesn't Conduct A Terrorist Attack Soon They'll Have To Fake One

WASHINGTON — After weeks of unsuccessfully stoking Trump supporters towards violent action, the FBI has changed course, beginning internal discussions for executing a MAGA-style attack using FBI resources.

"We are already at Defense Readiness Condition 3 – this means that if the extreme MAGA wing doesn't act, we will bypass the plainclothes agent phase to DefCon 1, bringing out our biggest weapon: Ray Epps." FBI Director Christopher Wray addressed a round table of defense ministers, eliciting scattered gasps when he invoked Ray Epps, the famous FBI asset with expertise in starting insurrections.

The attempts to get "MAGA Republicans" to commit terrorism have escalated in recent weeks. The gentle initial prodding of the Mar-A-Lago raid failed to evoke a riot, and the prodding was then escalated to a speech by Biden with obvious fascist overtones attacking Trump supporters, finally culminating in the raiding of over 50 Trump ally homes last week. "If that doesn't do it, what will?" said Wray.

Critics have contended that there is no widespread evidence of the FBI's history of supporting and propagating terrorism to justify crackdowns on the current administration's political enemies. Ted Cruz, however, has asked pointed questions about FBI involvement in perpetrating the events of January 6, and Cruz asked Justice Department representatives whether the FBI was involved. The FBI has provided a comprehensive answer to Cruz, saying "Shut up."

At publishing time, several dozen military-age males with crew cuts had shown up in attendance to an "election justice" rally of Trump supporters but were sadly outed as Feds and given swirlies and wedgies.
https://babylonbee.com/news/fbi-concern ... o-fake-one
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:06 am Image
Men can get pregnant?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:06 am Image
Men can get pregnant?
Yup. Gestation is pretty short as well.

Usually about twelve hours after eating a 44oz tomahawk steak.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:45 am
kalm wrote:
Men can get pregnant?

:nod: and then they give birth to conspiracy theories. Things like "the election was stolen" or "trump is a fascist".
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:45 am
kalm wrote:
Men can get pregnant?

44 ounces…pffft.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:34 am Image
Well, that's the future of road-tripping apparently. Question is can you run the generator and have the car charging while it's also in motion? I don't really envy having to park somewhere for 30 minutes to an hour every 300 miles just to "charge" up again.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by GrizFanStuckInUtah »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:22 am
Well, that's the future of road-tripping apparently. Question is can you run the generator and have the car charging while it's also in motion? I don't really envy having to park somewhere for 30 minutes to an hour every 300 miles just to "charge" up again.
It would take forever to charge one with that:

Home 120V: 3 miles added per hour; up to 87 hours
NEMA 14-50 Home: 30 miles added per hour; up to 9 hours
Destination / Wall Connector: 30 miles added per hour; up to 9 hours

Super chargers can be 200 miles in 15 min.
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
-Thank you to all our Veterans. :bow:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

GrizFanStuckInUtah wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:58 am

Crap, I never had those numbers. We're screwed.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Not to my knowledge. Any EV/EM OEM worth their salt would do a DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) on the charging system and that would highlight any potential issues with charging while driving. Some that come to mind, are environmental, vibration, connection quality, software/hardware limits, etc.On our equipment, one cannot use and charge it at the same time.

If one is curious, the plug styles are governed by EN 62196 for Europe and SAE J1772 here in the U.S.. There is a bunch of cross over between the two and manufactures can pick and chose what one to follow depending on their market. There is also ISO 15118 which is a 20 part standard that covers Vehicle to Grid communication interface requirements.

For the equipment the company I work for builds we follow the EN 62196 and SAE J1172 as we sell both in the EU and NA. We also use ISO 15118 as a guideline as we are not in the business of supplying charges but letting customers source their own depending on their regional availability and requirements.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Forever is better than walking. :D

Since the picture was taken in South Dakota (at least that is what my buddy said when he sent it to me) and the chargers installed are only along I-90 and in Pierre, there is a whole swath of the state that is out of range for an EV. So if one was traveling in those areas, it would be a good idea to have a backup plan.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:59 pm

Forever is better than walking. :D

Since the picture was taken in South Dakota (at least that is what my buddy said when he sent it to me) and the chargers installed are only along I-90 and in Pierre, there is a whole swath of the state that is out of range for an EV. So if one was traveling in those areas, it would be a good idea to have a backup plan.
If you live in SD and travel around the state, why would you buy an EV?

If you're driving through SD off of I-90, why not rent a car with an internal combustion engine rather than using that setup? The risks of that setup must outweigh the costs and environmental impact of renting a car.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm