I am a fan of: Portland State Vikings
A.K.A.: Modern Man

Chinese Caught Spying, Lying...again...

Post by travelinman67 »

Vast Spy System Loots Computers in 103 Countries
By JOHN MARKOFF
Published: March 28, 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/techn ... gewanted=2
TORONTO — A vast electronic spying operation has infiltrated computers and has stolen documents from hundreds of government and private offices around the world, including those of the Dalai Lama, Canadian researchers have concluded.

The Vast Reach of ‘GhostNet’ In a report to be issued this weekend, the researchers said that the system was being controlled from computers based almost exclusively in China, but that they could not say conclusively that the Chinese government was involved.

Their sleuthing opened a window into a broader operation that, in less than two years, has infiltrated at least 1,295 computers in 103 countries, including many belonging to embassies, foreign ministries and other government offices, as well as the Dalai Lama’s Tibetan exile centers in India, Brussels, London and New York.

The researchers, who have a record of detecting computer espionage, said they believed that in addition to the spying on the Dalai Lama, the system, which they called GhostNet, was focused on the governments of South Asian and Southeast Asian countries.

The malware is remarkable both for its sweep — in computer jargon, it has not been merely “phishing” for random consumers’ information, but “whaling” for particular important targets — and for its Big Brother-style capacities. It can, for example, turn on the camera and audio-recording functions of an infected computer, enabling monitors to see and hear what goes on in a room. The investigators say they do not know if this facet has been employed.

The researchers were able to monitor the commands given to infected computers and to see the names of documents retrieved by the spies, but in most cases the contents of the stolen files have not been determined. Working with the Tibetans, however, the researchers found that specific correspondence had been stolen and that the intruders had gained control of the electronic mail server computers of the Dalai Lama’s organization.

The electronic spy game has had at least some real-world impact, they said. For example, they said, after an e-mail invitation was sent by the Dalai Lama’s office to a foreign diplomat, the Chinese government made a call to the diplomat discouraging a visit. And a woman working for a group making Internet contacts between Tibetan exiles and Chinese citizens was stopped by Chinese intelligence officers on her way back to Tibet, shown transcripts of her online conversations and warned to stop her political activities.

Back in Toronto, Mr. Walton shared data with colleagues at the Munk Center’s computer lab.

One of them was Nart Villeneuve, 34, a graduate student and self-taught “white hat” hacker with dazzling technical skills. Last year, Mr. Villeneuve linked the Chinese version of the Skype communications service to a Chinese government operation that was systematically eavesdropping on users’ instant-messaging sessions.

Early this month, Mr. Villeneuve noticed an odd string of 22 characters embedded in files created by the malicious software and searched for it with Google. It led him to a group of computers on Hainan Island, off China, and to a Web site that would prove to be critically important.

In a puzzling security lapse, the Web page that Mr. Villeneuve found was not protected by a password, while much of the rest of the system uses encryption.

Mr. Villeneuve and his colleagues figured out how the operation worked by commanding it to infect a system in their computer lab in Toronto. On March 12, the spies took their own bait. Mr. Villeneuve watched a brief series of commands flicker on his computer screen as someone — presumably in China — rummaged through the files. Finding nothing of interest, the intruder soon disappeared.

Through trial and error, the researchers learned to use the system’s Chinese-language “dashboard” — a control panel reachable with a standard Web browser — by which one could manipulate the more than 1,200 computers worldwide that had by then been infected.

Infection happens two ways. In one method, a user’s clicking on a document attached to an e-mail message lets the system covertly install software deep in the target operating system. Alternatively, a user clicks on a Web link in an e-mail message and is taken directly to a “poisoned” Web site.

The researchers said they avoided breaking any laws during three weeks of monitoring and extensively experimenting with the system’s unprotected software control panel. They provided, among other information, a log of compromised computers dating to May 22, 2007.

They found that three of the four control servers were in different provinces in China — Hainan, Guangdong and Sichuan — while the fourth was discovered to be at a Web-hosting company based in Southern California.
...and the Chinese response...?
A spokesman for the Chinese Consulate in New York dismissed the idea that China was involved. “These are old stories and they are nonsense,” the spokesman, Wenqi Gao, said. “The Chinese government is opposed to and strictly forbids any cybercrime.”
Well, I guess that settles that...wasn't the Chinese...

:roll:

The original report from Cambridge...unedited...placing responsibility on the Chinese...very sharply worded!!!

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-746.pdf
Last edited by travelinman67 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That is how government works - we tell you what you can do today."
- EPA Kommissar Gina McCarthy
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Re: Chinese Caught Spying, Lying...again...

Post by Col Hogan »

Cyber warfare is becoming the hot issues these days...

It was a milestone in the short but nasty history of cyber-war. In November, Washington suffered from a severe, painful, and widespread attack on the Pentagon’s most sensitive computers. The most worrisome aspect was evidence that the attack had official Russian state origins.
http://www.airforce-magazine.com/Magazi ... cyber.aspx

We are building capabilities faster than most people know...and that's good...but, as this article from the leading Air Force lobbying group shows, we're behind the power curve...catching up, but behind...

Scary, ain't it...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter

Post by travelinman67 »

...course...it's just a coincidence that the Chinese recently completed a "top secret" underground sub base on Hainan Island about two years ago...

Chinese nuclear submarine base
China has secretly built a major underground nuclear submarine base that could threaten Asian countries and challenge American power in the region, it can be disclosed.

By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
Last Updated: 8:13PM BST 06 May 2008

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -base.html
In what will be a significant challenge to US Navy dominance and to countries ringing the South China Sea, one photograph shows China’s latest 094 nuclear submarine at the base just a few hundred miles from its neighbours.

Other images show numerous warships moored to long jettys and a network of underground tunnels at the Sanya base on the southern tip of Hainan island.

Of even greater concern to the Pentagon are massive tunnel entrances, estimated to be 60ft high, built into hillsides around the base. Sources fear they could lead to caverns capable of hiding up to 20 nuclear submarines from spy satellites.

The US Department of Defence has estimated that China will have five 094 nuclear submarines operational by 2010 with each capable of carrying 12 JL-2 nuclear missiles.

The images were obtained by Janes Intelligence Review after the periodical was given access to imagery from the commercial satellite company DigitalGlobe.

Analysts for the respected military magazine suggest that the base could be used for "expeditionary as well as defensive operations" and would allow the submarines to "break out to launch locations closer to the US".

It would now be "difficult to ignore" that China was building a major naval base where it could house its nuclear forces and increase it "strategic capability considerably further afield".

The development so close to the sea lanes vital to Asian economies "can only cause concern far beyond these straits".

Military analysts believe that China’s substantial build up of its forces is gaining pace put has remained hidden from the world in the build-up to the Olympics.

China has diverted much of its resources from the huge Peoples Liberation Army to the navy, air force and missile development.

An old Russian aircraft carrier, bought by Beijing for "leisure activities" has been picked over by naval architects who hope to "reverse engineer" the ship.

Within the next five to 10 years the People's Liberation Navy is expected to build up to six carriers which will also coincide with the Royal Navy’s construction of two major carriers.

The location of the base off Hainan will also give the submarines access to very deep water exceeding 5,000 metres within a few miles, making them even harder to detect.
And intelligence gathering emanating from the same island...what an amazing coincidence!
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Meanwhile, our military is stuck in Iraqistan...
:thumb:
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

travelinman67 wrote:...course...it's just a coincidence that the Chinese recently completed a "top secret" underground sub base on Hainan Island about two years ago...
oddly enough, I remember Chinese paying off a certain former POTUSA for some "top secret" information...
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

BigApp wrote:
travelinman67 wrote:...course...it's just a coincidence that the Chinese recently completed a "top secret" underground sub base on Hainan Island about two years ago...
oddly enough, I remember Chinese paying off a certain former POTUSA for some "top secret" information...

Reagan? Bush I?
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

dbackjon wrote:
Reagan? Bush I?
a little more recent...buddhist temples, blowjobs, skanky women...
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Proof?
travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter

Post by travelinman67 »

dbackjon wrote:Proof?
Yes.
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

You sure have a short (or convenient) memory. Just google the following name:

Charlie Trie

Let us know what you find...

ImageImage

travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter

Post by travelinman67 »

dback...the connection between dirty money from China being funneled into the Democrats through Asian operatives is as broad and long as have ever occurred...

...I've written about Hillary's shakedown of Asian communities...Gary Locke's involvement with untraceable money from Temples in the Seattle area...to Feinstein's husbands investments in Chinese telecommunications IPO's...to the initiating incidents which triggered my disdain of Al Gore...his connection with dirty Asian businessmen while still in the Senate, preceding his leading the Trade Delegation to China in the early 90's when he traded away America's interests, then bragged about it to the Chinese people on their television.

You're foolish to cover your eyes and defend the Dems on this issue.
travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter

Post by travelinman67 »

The original report from the Cambridge investigators...unedited...placing responsibility on the Chinese...very sharply worded...nothing diplomatic about their opinions and conclusions...!!!

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-746.pdf
CSUBUCDAD
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Charleston Southern
A.K.A.: MJCOCK, MJ, STUMP

Post by CSUBUCDAD »

Most of you remember I have been saying these Chinese are the real enemy for a long long time. Just another in a long line of incidents that proves my point.

You want my guns? Come take them.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CSUBUCDAD wrote:Most of you remember I have been saying these Chinese are the real enemy for a long long time. Just another in a long line of incidents that proves my point.
And most of us over here will not disagree with you on that
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:Meanwhile, our military is stuck in Iraqistan...
You want to invade China? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Meanwhile, our military is stuck in Iraqistan...
You want to invade China? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
No - but I want them available...