Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

U.S. denies request for Puerto Rico shipping waiver

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Fucking assholes.

:ohno:
U.S. denies request for Puerto Rico shipping waiver

The Trump administration on Tuesday denied a request to waive shipping restrictions to help get fuel and supplies to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico, saying it would do nothing to address the island’s main impediment to shipping, damaged ports.

The Jones Act limits shipping between coasts to U.S. flagged vessels. However, in the wake of brutal storms, the government has occasionally issued temporary waivers to allow the use of cheaper, tax free, or more readily available foreign flagged ships.

The Department of Homeland Security, which waived the act after hurricanes Harvey and Irma, did not agree an exemption would help this time.

On Monday, U.S. Representative Nydia Velázquez and seven other representatives asked Elaine Duke, acting head of Homeland Security, to waive the nearly 100-year-old shipping law for a year to help Puerto Rico recover from Hurricane Maria.Gregory Moore, a spokesman for Customs and Border Protection, an office of Homeland Security, said in a statement that an assessment by the agency showed there was “sufficient capacity” of U.S.-flagged vessels to move commodities to Puerto Rico.

“The limitation is going to be port capacity to offload and transit, not vessel availability,” Moore said.

The government’s rationale for a waiver after the storms hit Texas, Louisiana and Florida was to ease movement of fuel to places along the U.S. East Coast and make up for temporary outages of high capacity pipelines.

“The situation in Puerto Rico is much different,” Moore said in the statement, adding that most of the humanitarian effort would be carried out with barges, which make up a large portion of the U.S. flagged cargo fleet.

Puerto Rico has long railed against the Jones Act, saying it makes the cost of imported basic commodities, such as food, clothing and fuel, more expensive.

“Our dependence on fossil fuel imports by sea is hampering the restoration of services,” said Juan Declet-Barreto, an energy expert at the nonprofit group the Union of Concerned Scientists. The refusal to allow the waiver “is raising fears on the island that they are going to be left behind in this disaster.”

The United States shipped an average of nearly 770,000 barrels of crude oil and oil products like gasoline and diesel annually to Puerto Rico from 2012 to 2016.

Supporters of the Jones Act, including ship builders, have said it supports American jobs, including ones in Puerto Rico and keeps shipping routes reliable.

Republicans Senator John McCain and Representative Gary Palmer have supported measures to repeal the Jones Act.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-stor ... SKCN1C11ZP
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Re: U.S. denies request for Puerto Rico shipping waiver

Post by Col Hogan »

And...

If the ports are not open, this is nothing...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

The ports are open, at least some of them are.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

“The limitation is going to be port capacity to offload and transit, not vessel availability,” Moore said.

Frankly, they should just waive the law so there's no red meat for the Jellies of the world. The entrance to SJ harbor would look like the entrance to Lagos Lagoon (hundreds of container ships lined up and nobody getting in) but who cares

How many of you geniuses have been in San Juan harbor? Or any Puerto Rican container port?
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:“The limitation is going to be port capacity to offload and transit, not vessel availability,” Moore said.

Frankly, they should just waive the law so there's no red meat for the Jellies of the world. The entrance to SJ harbor would look like the entrance to Lagos Lagoon (hundreds of container ships lined up and nobody getting in) but who cares

How many of you geniuses have been in San Juan harbor? Or any Puerto Rican container port?
Details, details. This is getting in the way of SK's unfounded moral indignation.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:“The limitation is going to be port capacity to offload and transit, not vessel availability,” Moore said.

Details, details. This is getting in the way of SK's unfounded moral indignation.
Since when has that stopped him?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Col Hogan wrote:And...

If the ports are not open, this is nothing...
Their biggest port is open. :tothehand:

And, why turn away help? Other countries have been sending supplies to Dominca - that is in similar and has smaller ports.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

It really should just be waived like it is for the US VI. The law no longer makes sense.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I've been there...on a cruise ship leaving...

But I'm no genius... :ohno:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Vidav wrote:

It really should just be waived like it is for the US VI. The law no longer makes sense.
Neither does PR refusing statehood and/or independence

this catastrophe is precisely why their status (and the historical laws that go with it) is not in PR's or the US's best interests

But back to the topic: San Juan harbor is treacherous - much like Charleston harbor - they can only accommodate a fixed amount of traffic, and they only have so much berthing space

Open the floodgates and you introduce the potential of even LESS aid getting through- and when some Albanian flagged container ship with a Pakistani crew runs aground there you're REALLY fvcked

It may be tempting to compare the USVI or other places with PR but PR has much greater material needs than anywhere else in our Caribbean sphere that was affected by the storm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Vidav wrote:

I agree. It's an archaic thing that shouldn't still be in existence. With that said, I'm all for controlling, right now during the crisis, how many ships come in and out of that harbor. No need to create another problem by blocking the harbor through good intentions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Pretty sure I heard an official from PR yesterday saying the trouble isn't getting the supplies to PR, it's getting them to the people.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:Pretty sure I heard an official from PR yesterday saying the trouble isn't getting the supplies to PR, it's getting them to the people.
Agreed. The non-voting representative in Washington was even quoted as saying she's never seen such cooperation from Washington in terms of support. Getting it to people where they need it on the island is the biggest hurdle.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote:Pretty sure I heard an official from PR yesterday saying the trouble isn't getting the supplies to PR, it's getting them to the people.
Agreed. The non-voting representative in Washington was even quoted as saying she's never seen such cooperation from Washington in terms of support. Getting it to people where they need it on the island is the biggest hurdle.
We probably shouldn't ruin Jelly's thread.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
We probably shouldn't ruin Jelly's thread.

I'm sure he'll start another one soon with similar weak supporting information and he'll just hope people aren't paying attention enough to notice on that one.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Maybe Congress will fix another dumbass WH mistake
Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rossello said on Wednesday he expected the federal government to waive the Jones Act, which would lift restrictions on ships that can provide aid to the island devastated by Hurricane Maria.

He said he has been speaking with members of Congress from both parties who have supported an emergency waiver.

“We expect them to waive it,” Rossello said in an interview with CNN. He noted there was a seven-day waiver after Hurricane Irma, which was much less devastating to the island.

On Tuesday, the Trump administration denied a request to waive shipping restrictions to help get fuel and supplies to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico, saying it would do nothing to address the island’s damaged ports, the main impediment to shipping.

A waiver would allow Puerto Rico to get help not only from U.S. ships but from any ships that can bring aid.

“That is critical, particularly for fuel,” he said. “One of the considerations right now is the priority of getting fuel, diesel, gasoline, all across the island. Right now we have enough fuel. We’re limited by the transportation logistics, but at some point of course, getting fuel into the island is going to be critical so that we can have the major functions of telecoms, hospitals, water, to be running appropriately.”

The Jones Act requires that all goods shipped between U.S. ports be carried by American owned-and-operated ships.

U.S. Senator John McCain asked acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke on Tuesday to grant an emergency waiver of the law. He said that Puerto Rican residents would have to pay at least twice as much for food, drinking water and other supplies without the waiver.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1C21R0
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Maybe Congress will fix another dumbass WH mistake
Right now we have enough fuel. We’re limited by the transportation logistics
:suspicious:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

89Hen wrote:
You know this isn't something that's going to return to normal in a week or two, right? :suspicious:

The rest of the quote you chopped off:
but at some point of course, getting fuel into the island is going to be critical so that we can have the major functions of telecoms, hospitals, water, to be running appropriately.”
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
You have to hand it to SK, he's going to go down fighting no matter the facts at hand!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
89Hen wrote: :suspicious:
You know this isn't something that's going to return to normal in a week or two, right? :suspicious:

The rest of the quote you chopped off:
but at some point of course, getting fuel into the island is going to be critical so that we can have the major functions of telecoms, hospitals, water, to be running appropriately.”
And perhaps they will increase the shipments or lift it if it looks like they might run out.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Taken from another board, but a Blue Hen brother, caribbeanhen, actually lives in PR and has been posting about the situation there. Taken directly from the AGS board:
Considering this is an island about 1000 miles southeast of Miami I think it's pretty amazing the governments response so far I don't give trump the credit though but those of you trying to politicize this as trumps not doing enough have it all wrong
I'm sure SK has better sources, though. :coffee:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

The views quoted by most on this thread is NOT what friends who LIVE in Puerto Rico are saying and experiencing.

10-12 hour lines for fuel. 2 hour lines for food and water, and that is running out. Parts of the island unreachable.

While lifting the Jones Act may not have an impact today, it will in the near future. And needs to be removed permenantly.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Oh - and pretty pathetic was Trump's reasoning for not lifting it.
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:The views quoted by most on this thread is NOT what friends who LIVE in Puerto Rico are saying and experiencing.

10-12 hour lines for fuel. 2 hour lines for food and water, and that is running out. Parts of the island unreachable.

While lifting the Jones Act may not have an impact today, it will in the near future. And needs to be removed permenantly.
So you're saying the guy I quoted who lives in Puerto Rico (and he's posting from a Burger King that does have power) is full of crap? I'll make sure he knows that the view of someone thousands of miles away is better than his.

No one is saying the island is in great shape, of course it's not, it's a disaster zone. The point of the thread, from SK's view, is that Trump has the federal government ignoring the island's plight. People on the ground, however, say that the federal government's response so far has been very good. They still have time to screw it up, but attempts so far to say that Trump has screwed it up don't match the evidence. Trump may be an idiot, and he personally may not be doing very much for PR, but his administration seems to be doing the job well so far.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

The Daly Beast
"Puerto Rico Is Trump's Katrina"

Rolling Stone
"How Puerto Rico Is Becoming Trump's Katrina"

Vanity Fair
"IS THE CRISIS IN PUERTO RICO BECOMING TRUMP’S KATRINA?"

BBC's Christian Fraser: "Is this [Trump's] Katrina moment?"

CNN's Maria Cardona: "Puerto Rico is becoming Trump's Katrina."

Mother Jones senior editor Michael Mechanic: "This really is Trump's Katrina."

Slate's Phillip Carter: "The administration's feeble response to Hurricane Maria rivals Bush's after Katrina,"

MSNBC's Joy Reid: "While you're reading this, the Trump administration is utterly failing the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico and the US. Virgin Islands."

Nate Silver: "Some obvious parallels to Katrina here."
http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/the-rus ... le/2635716

And on and on and on.

To sum up the moonbat left:
-Maria is Trumps fault.
-Aid isn't being sent fast enough because Trump hates brown people.
-This is Trumps Katrina.

Do I have that right?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.