Political discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: U.S. denies request for Puerto Rico shipping waiver

Post by ∞∞∞ »

mainejeff2 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Yes, they do.
No, they don't matter more than people in South Carolina, Texas, or Alabama.

:coffee:
They do matter more per square foot. Because that's how enlightened democracies typically operate.

Per square foot.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Simple question, simple answer. Senators represent entire states, and Representatives represent constituents in 435 separate districts. They are under no obligation to respect (much less surrender to) the express “will” of 22% of a place they don’t represent. Read up on our federal system. :dunce:
So you're just going to ignore that 2/3 of Americans support PR statehood?

What you're saying is that our federal system (and Constitution) not only does a great job of ignoring the will of American citizens living on a territory, but citizens on the mainland too.

Democracy! :clap:
OH YES please trot out that logic

(I’ll give you an opportunity to walk it back first)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Simple question, simple answer. Senators represent entire states, and Representatives represent constituents in 435 separate districts. They are under no obligation to respect (much less surrender to) the express “will” of 22% of a place they don’t represent. Read up on our federal system. :dunce:
So you're just going to ignore that 2/3 of Americans support PR statehood?

What you're saying is that our federal system (and Constitution) not only does a great job of ignoring the will of American citizens living on a territory, but citizens on the mainland too.

As is your habit, Trips, you run away from your own arguments, maybe to give yourself a chance to Google something coherent.

You said above: “If a TERRITORY wants to become a state and votes for it, why should Congress ignore
THEIR will?” Now, you move the goalposts, citing an unattributed poll of “ Americans,” and claim that Congress is derelict in its duty. But even if the poll is correct, polls are not binding on Congress. If you ask a broad polling question, like “should PR be a state,” you may get “sure! Allee-allee- in free.” But when you get down to the details, like “should we admit a territory to statehood that is a corrupt economic basket case, losing population rapidly, and would be a drain on all US taxpayers forever,” I guaran-damn-tee you’d get a different result. Use your head. That’s the lump that’s three feet above your arse.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: So you're just going to ignore that 2/3 of Americans support PR statehood?

As is your habit, Trips, you run away from your own arguments, maybe to give yourself a chance to Google something coherent.

You said above: “If a TERRITORY wants to become a state and votes for it, why should Congress ignore
THEIR will?” Now, you move the goalposts, citing an unattributed poll of “ Americans,” and claim that Congress is derelict in its duty. But even if the poll is correct, polls are not binding on Congress. If you ask a broad polling question, like “should PR be a state,” you may get “sure! Allee-allee- in free.” But when you get down to the details, like “should we admit a territory to statehood that is an economic basket case, losing population rapidly, and would be a drain on all US taxpayers forever,” I guaran-damn-tee you’d get a different result. Use your head. That’s the lump that’s three feet above your arse.
TBH I don’t even know why we even respond to the guy with anything other than “bless your heart”

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: As is your habit, Trips, you run away from your own arguments, maybe to give yourself a chance to Google something coherent.

THEIR will?” Now, you move the goalposts, citing an unattributed poll of “ Americans,” and claim that Congress is derelict in its duty. But even if the poll is correct, polls are not binding on Congress. If you ask a broad polling question, like “should PR be a state,” you may get “sure! Allee-allee- in free.” But when you get down to the details, like “should we admit a territory to statehood that is an economic basket case, losing population rapidly, and would be a drain on all US taxpayers forever,” I guaran-damn-tee you’d get a different result. Use your head. That’s the lump that’s three feet above your arse.
TBH I don’t even know why we even respond to the guy with anything other than “bless your heart”

Yeah, good call. I’m old and getting ready for my morning nap.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ivytalk wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: So you're just going to ignore that 2/3 of Americans support PR statehood?

Excellent. I love when others perfectly explain how restrictive, un-enlightened (CID's new favorite word), and undemocratic our Constitution truly is. Thank you!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: As is your habit, Trips, you run away from your own arguments, maybe to give yourself a chance to Google something coherent.

Excellent. I love when others perfectly explain how restrictive, un-enlightened (CID's new favorite word), and undemocratic our Constitution truly is. Thank you!
Bless your heart.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ivytalk wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Excellent. I love when others perfectly explain how restrictive, un-enlightened (CID's new favorite word), and undemocratic our Constitution truly is. Thank you!
Bless your heart.
May the Lord open.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CID1990 wrote:We’ll need to build a big prison on PR the day they become a state in irder to house 75% of their legislature and 100% of their union officials

It’ll be like Illinois but only with Chicago and no Illinois

And no deep dish pizza.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote:
CID1990 wrote:We’ll need to build a big prison on PR the day they become a state in irder to house 75% of their legislature and 100% of their union officials

It’ll be like Illinois but only with Chicago and no Illinois

And no deep dish pizza.
Trip, if PR and DC should be able to become states just because they want to should downstate Illinois be given the same opportunity? The suburbs can be given the choice to stay with Chicago or go with the new state.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

UNI88 wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
And no deep dish pizza.
Trip, if PR and DC should be able to become states just because they want to should downstate Illinois be given the same opportunity? The suburbs can be given the choice to stay with Chicago or go with the new state.
Don’t forget western Maryland...and Northern California...and areas of Virginia outside of northern DC suburbs and Norfolk...and Florida north of Orlando...

Here in Texas, we will willingly grant Austin and Houston their freedom...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Col Hogan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
Don’t forget western Maryland...and Northern California...and areas of Virginia outside of northern DC suburbs and Norfolk...and Florida north of Orlando...

Here in Texas, we will willingly grant Austin and Houston their freedom...
Sounds good to me. Get rid of the Senate in the process, but the more states there are, the better we can divide US representation in the House.