Political discussions
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Tax Bill is a loser

Post by bluehenbillk »

Are they kidding me?

The only people benefiting from this are businesses & people that don't make much money.

People filing married with incomes starting at $90k now are in the 25% tax bracket? The 25% tax bracket starts much higher than that now....that's going to piss off a lot of people. Make $260K & now it's 35%? Jesus.

They took the mortgage interest deduction away from people paying more than $500K on hosues - watch Toll Brothers stock plummet. The SALT deductions are going away or being slashed. Basically if you itemized deductions in the past chances are you just received a tax INCREASE.

Not a happy Trump voter right now....
Make Delaware Football Great Again
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Tax Bill is a loser

Post by CID1990 »

bluehenbillk wrote:Are they kidding me?

The only people benefiting from this are businesses & people that don't make much money.

People filing married with incomes starting at $90k now are in the 25% tax bracket? The 25% tax bracket starts much higher than that now....that's going to piss off a lot of people. Make $260K & now it's 35%? Jesus.

They took the mortgage interest deduction away from people paying more than $500K on hosues - watch Toll Brothers stock plummet. The SALT deductions are going away or being slashed. Basically if you itemized deductions in the past chances are you just received a tax INCREASE.

Bubba, 5 dollars in the pocket of a WV coal miner is a lot like an Obama phone

He ain’t interested in you anyway
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

On paper, I don't think it's that bad of a plan (except for the elimination of the estate tax)...but only if they figure out how to not balloon the deficit. Cutting corporate taxes is fine if it doesn't come at the expense of hurting programs that actually help people. But knowing the GOP, it will hurt people.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

∞∞∞ wrote:I'm ok with cutting corporate taxes if it doesn't come at the expense of hurting social programs that actually help people.
You don't actually think that's a concern of theirs, do you? :?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

bandl wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:I'm ok with cutting corporate taxes if it doesn't come at the expense of hurting social programs that actually help people.
You don't actually think that's a concern of theirs, do you? :?
I know it isn't.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

Unless your family makes less than $90K in taxable income you're getting socked with an increase. If you're single & make more than $45K in taxable income you'll pay more.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

bluehenbillk wrote:Are they kidding me?

:rofl:

Pardon me while I laugh my ass off
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

As long as Bandel and Flaggy pay more taxes and I pay less, I will consider this a good plan.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

93henfan wrote:As long as Bandel and Flaggy pay more taxes and I pay less, I will consider this a good plan.
Well we'll still be in the top tax bracket at 39.6%.
The elimination of the estate tax will benefit me.
As will the reduced corporate tax.
Maybe a wash until that estate transfer occurs.

EDIT: Yikes, I meant we'll be in the 35% tax bracket up from the 33% (i think?). It actually changes every year between the 28 & 33 bracket
Last edited by bandl on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I will drop from the 28% bracket to the new 25%, so that’s a cool extra few thousand in my pocket. I’ll take it.

Now if they would include a provision whereby child support is deductible, I would do a little dance. If they also made the child support recipient have to report it as income, I’d spike the football.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:I will drop from the 28% bracket to the new 25%, so that’s a cool extra few thousand in my pocket. I’ll take it.

Now if they would include a provision whereby child support is deductible, I would do a little dance. If they also made the child support recipient have to report it as income, I’d spike the football.
Explain why your taxes go from 28% to 25%

:geek:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Chizzang wrote:
93henfan wrote:I will drop from the 28% bracket to the new 25%, so that’s a cool extra few thousand in my pocket. I’ll take it.

Because of the new brackets.

For individuals in 2016, the 28% bracket was $91,151-$190,150. Under the new plan, the 25% bracket is $45k-$200k.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

Do you itemize your deductions? If you answer yes that will pretty much eat up most, if not all of that 3%. They're trying to jam as many people as possible into the standard deduction.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

Because of the new brackets.

For individuals in 2016, the 28% bracket was $91,151-$190,150. Under the new plan, the 25% bracket is $45k-$200k.
$45K to $200K is 25% now... I see said the blind prick

Also my taxes just went down from 35% to 20%

:notworthy:

I love this new Trump guy, he's the best
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

bluehenbillk wrote:

Do you itemize your deductions? If you answer yes that will pretty much eat up most, if not all of that 3%. They're trying to jam as many people as possible into the standard deduction.
Nope. Standard deduction and that’s doubling, so even more money in my pocket.

I’ve been getting $5k returns the past few years, so I’d expect $10k-ish under the new plan.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

So you live in an apartment?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

bluehenbillk wrote:So you live in an apartment?

Essentially. I rent my parents’ second house from them. Actually it’s my house now, because they added me to their family trust earlier this year. So, I rent a house from me, my parents, and my sister.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

Makes sense... the majority of us will suffer. Regretting we didn't have a better choice a year ago..
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Chart showing the brackets in this article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-go ... m=referral

If I did my math correctly a married couple filing jointly with taxable income (income after whatever deductions they qualify for) of $200K sees their tax bill go down about $4,600. Same couple with $100K taxable income saves about $3,200.

Big question is how the various deductions impact you to get to your taxable income.

Our house is about paid for so our mortgage interest deduction was small enough that itemizing isn't much more than the standard deduction. I should come out pretty well on this.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Many components of the bill appear to be a big FU to the blue states. :lol:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

HI54UNI wrote:Many components of the bill appear to be a big FU to the blue states. :lol:
So an FU to most states that aren't federal dependents?
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

∞∞∞ wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:Many components of the bill appear to be a big FU to the blue states. :lol:
So an FU to most states that aren't federal dependents?
It's awesome isn't it? Make the donor states pay more! :thumb: :thumb: :nod: :nod: :lol: :lol:

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

HI54UNI wrote:
If I did my math correctly a married couple filing jointly with taxable income (income after whatever deductions they qualify for) of $200K sees their tax bill go down about $4,600. Same couple with $100K taxable income saves about $3,200.
You must've learned the "new math" they teach in schools nowadays. No idea how you come up with those #'s. If you lived for filling out Schedule A (like I did to the tune of around $35K last year) you're in for a sick wake-up call.

Personal exemptions - gone
Healthcare exemptions - gone
State & local income exemptions - gone

What stays:
Mortgage interest - unless you're house was over $500K (but if you take the doubled standard deduction this is gone too)
Property tax deduction - up to $10K, but again if you take the doubled standard deduction this is gone to)
Charitable giving

So the bottom line - if you claimed more than $24,000 on Schedule A last year you're screwed, because you can no longer itemize deductions
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

I'll add one thing that's a positive that I just read. The Child Tax Credit which know maxes at about $140K of income give or take is morphed into the Family Tax Credit which maxes instead at around $230K & has a max credit of $1,600 per child versus the old $1,000 per.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

The disappointing part of all of this is that it doesn’t really do anything to simplify the tax code. These changes shrink it from about 73,954 pages to maybe 73,950.

Yay.