kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

WA Gov: ISP's Can Suck It

Post by kalm »

:thumb:
OLYMPIA – Washington will enforce its own version of net neutrality if the Federal Communications Commission votes Thursday to change national rules, Gov. Jay Inslee said Wednesday.

Standing with a bipartisan group of lawmakers, tech executives and state Attorney General Bob Ferguson, Inslee said internet service providers that restrict access, block content or charge varying rates to different customers could find themselves facing sanctions from the state.

“There are some things worth fighting for,” Inslee said. “This is a free-speech issue as well as a business development issue.”.................

If the commission approves the current draft rules, or something close to them, Washington will try to keep ISPs that offer service inside its borders from changing, Inslee said.

The state could bring consumer protection actions against ISPs that take those steps, could refuse to contract with those that aren’t net neutral, or could ask the Utilities and Transportation Commission to deny them access to utility poles and work with public utility districts to provide internet service in areas they serve, he said.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/d ... ate-if-fc/
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: WA Gov: ISP's Can Suck It

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Good for Washington; I hope ALL states follow that lead, although I know they won't.

I read something like 80%+ of Americans are against the death of net-neutrality, which overwhelmingly makes it one of the few items a majority of people are united about. And yet here we are.

IMO, a net-neutral internet is essential to the American economy. It's the modern version of the highway interstate system, spurring economic growth and efficiently connecting people and businesses.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/14/fak ... dentities/

Two million identities stolen for fake net neutrality comments
As many as 2 million identities were stolen to leave fake comments in support of the FCC's decision to kill net neutrality, according to the New York Attorney General's Office. Based on the 5,000 or so complaints filed with the office, some of the victims are senior citizens, some are minors, while some are already dead. "This is a 13 year old child -- she did not post this comment, nor did anyone else in her household," a report filed by a New Yorker said. A Chicago resident who also filed a complaint called the fake comment made under their mother's name "sickening." Their mother passed away several years ago from cancer.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/14/fak ... dentities/

Two million identities stolen for fake net neutrality comments
As many as 2 million identities were stolen to leave fake comments in support of the FCC's decision to kill net neutrality, according to the New York Attorney General's Office. Based on the 5,000 or so complaints filed with the office, some of the victims are senior citizens, some are minors, while some are already dead. "This is a 13 year old child -- she did not post this comment, nor did anyone else in her household," a report filed by a New Yorker said. A Chicago resident who also filed a complaint called the fake comment made under their mother's name "sickening." Their mother passed away several years ago from cancer.
Awww...look! Someone discovered bots!
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

∞∞∞ wrote:Good for Washington; I hope ALL states follow that lead, although I know they won't.

I read something like 80%+ of Americans are against the death of net-neutrality, which overwhelmingly makes it one of the few items a majority of people are united about. And yet here we are.

IMO, a net-neutral internet is essential to the American economy. It's the modern version of the highway interstate system, spurring economic growth and efficiently connecting people and businesses.
The problem with a poll like that is the majority don't really know what it's all about or understand it. The term net neutraility sounds great so people are for it. If you polled those same people how many of them would agree that dihydrogen monoxide should be banned?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

HI54UNI wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Good for Washington; I hope ALL states follow that lead, although I know they won't.

The problem with a poll like that is the majority don't really know what it's all about or understand it. The term net neutraility sounds great so people are for it. If you polled those same people how many of them would agree that dihydrogen monoxide should be banned?
Or ask how many want to government controlling the internet...I’m betting there would be a much smaller number supporting it...

Net Neutrality is not neutral...it is government deciding for you...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Plus it's not neutral now.......................

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Plus it's not neutral now.......................

:thumb:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

What can the ISPs suck?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

In other news, 93.07% of statistics are made up on the spot. :coffee:
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by VictorG »

Crap! My internet so so friggen slow at home right now I'm still getting last years baseball scores...........what do I have to look forward to in the future?
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by VictorG »

New York attorney general will sue to stop the FCC's 'illegal rollback of net neutrality'

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/14/new-yor ... ality.html
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Ibanez wrote:What can the ISPs suck?
It
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

VictorG wrote:New York attorney general will sue to stop the FCC's 'illegal rollback of net neutrality'

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/14/new-yor ... ality.html
:rofl:

The same process that gave us net neutrality is being used to take it away, so now it's illegal? :? :dunce: :silly:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
Or ask how many want to government controlling the internet...I’m betting there would be a much smaller number supporting it...

How will this proposal improve freedom and competition?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

How will this proposal limit freedom or competition?

I'm decidedly neutral on net-neutrality. Both sides argue the worst that could happen if the other side "wins", but in almost every case it's a prediction of what could happen and not based on any solid evidence of the probability of that thing happening. I'm waiting to see what's going to happen and then I'll decide. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

kalm wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

I freely admit that I don't know much about it but I work with 6 utilities that provide broadband service. FWIW they all say that the current regs are very burdensome for small ISPs with no benefit to them.

The solution is probably somewhere in between where we were and where we are after today's vote. Companies like google (who has flip flopped) and fakebook being for net neutraility is not a great sign to me. And companies like Comcast being against it isn't a good sign either.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Col Hogan wrote:

No it's not ^ That's complete rubbish
It's the Government deciding for you the same way the government decides if you are allowed to have electricity
and running water

Shame on all you Conservatives who are using lazy bullsh!t responses to a very serious problem

It's very simple:
So please pay attention

Net neutrality is simple
It states that our publicly built and funded broadband infrastructure
should remain wide open for all

That it all it is...
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Chizzang wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

It's the Government deciding for you the same way the government decides if you are allowed to have electricity
and running water

Shame on all you Conservatives who are using lazy bullsh!t responses to a very serious problem

It's very simple:
So please pay attention

Net neutrality is simple

That it all it is...
When was the 'net ever not wide open?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Chizzang wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

and running water

It's very simple:
So please pay attention

Net neutrality is simple

That it all it is...
You know what's funny, the government heavily subsidized the existing infrastructure for private companies...but the new FCC rules attempt to block states from building their own public networks (which I'm sure the states will challenge). This benefits no one except the ISPs and completely discourages economic efficiency, innovation, and healthy competition.

So much for small government and state rights.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
and running water

It's very simple:
So please pay attention

Net neutrality is simple

That it all it is...
You know what's funny, the government heavily subsidized the existing infrastructure for private companies...but the new FCC rules attempt to block states from building their own public networks (which I'm sure the states will challenge). This benefits no one except the ISPs and completely discourages economic efficiency, innovation, and healthy competition.

So much for small government and state rights.
The government is out of controlling the internet less government

And I doubt you really understand states rights... :coffee:

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Chizzang wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

Net neutrality is simple

That it all it is...
Last time I checked, federal $$$ paid to build the Interstate highway system...yet the feds are allowing states to charge people who want to drive faster for that right...
THERE ARE PLENTY of reasons for outrage coming out of Washington, DC, these days, but this week the divided region found a common enemy. The express lanes on Interstate 66 near DC, previously reserved for vehicles carrying two or more people, opened up to solo travelers. Except those single-occupancy vehicles have to pay a toll, one that fluctuates according to demand. The world watched, aghast, as tolling prices hit $40 for folks headed into the capital on Tuesday morning.
https://www.wired.com/story/virginia-i66-toll-road/

So, riddle me this...if it’s OK to charge people for the privilege of driving faster than all the rest of the unwashed masses on the federal highway system...why would it be wrong to do the same on the information super-highway???

And how was the internet so screwed up prior to 2015 and the implementation of the rules reversed today that mandated the implementation of the rules reversed today???

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Col Hogan wrote:The government is out of controlling the internet less government
Just stop...there's no government "control" of the internet. The rule is simple: it protects the public from ISPs favoring content or disabling content. And again, the public has heavily subsidized the ISPs infrastructure.

And seriously, why doesn't the FCC want states to build their own networks? What was the point of that?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Col Hogan wrote:So, riddle me this...if it’s OK to charge people for the privilege of driving faster than all the rest of the unwashed masses on the federal highway system...why would it be wrong to do the same on the information super-highway???

And how was the internet so screwed up prior to 2015 and the implementation of the rules reversed today that mandated the implementation of the rules reversed today???
The roads are still owned by the public, but taxed privately. The broadband infrastructure is owned privately, but subsidized by the public...because it's SUPPOSED to be a good economic service for the nation.

There's also a VERY large difference between maintaining roads and maintaining broadband infrastructure.

And the issue arose BECAUSE the ISPs wanted to screw up something that wasn't screwed up. With the particular rise of streaming services, they decided there was a way to take advantage. With garbage like this (among others), it's no wonder this era is being panned as the Second Gilded Age.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: RE: Re: WA Gov: ISP's Can Suck It

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Chizzang wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

and running water

It's very simple:
So please pay attention

Net neutrality is simple

That it all it is...
But it's not wide open

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe