Political discussions
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

The Jerusalem Saga

Post by Pwns »

Since no one ever created a thread for this story, I thought we needed one.

Never mind what Israel's capital is recognized as, I just hope we defund the UN. Useless as a paper toaster. :nod:
Last edited by Pwns on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: The Jeruselum Saga

Post by CID1990 »

The UNSC is the only place where countries like Yemen and Venezuela can lecture anyone (much less the US) on human rights - and that is one of the many reasons it is irrelevant

The various factions that claim to represent the Palestinian people will not even budge on language legitimizing the existence of Israel.

Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is a part of the two-state solution.

Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel brings down a notch those who truly believe that Palestine will one day be a state built on the remains of Israel - and don't think for a second that our past Presidents' deferrals on Jerusalem haven't been used to show that even the US doesn't fully recognize Israel.

It was the correct move, and in the long term it helps pave the way to an actual two-state solution.

Another good step would be to defund most of our defense assistance to Israel that does not involve regional missile defense. That would send the same message to Israel that recognition of Jerusalem sent to the Palestinians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

CID1990 wrote: Another good step would be to defund most of our defense assistance to Israel that does not involve regional missile defense. That would send the same message to Israel that recognition of Jerusalem sent to the Palestinians.
Meh. Isn't the funding the equivalent of giving your toddler your cell phone to play with to keep him (HIM) quiet while in a public place? The years of posturing and skirmishes between the Israelis and the Arabs just keeps the Arabs out of our hair.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Another good step would be to defund most of our defense assistance to Israel that does not involve regional missile defense. That would send the same message to Israel that recognition of Jerusalem sent to the Palestinians.
Meh. Isn't the funding the equivalent of giving your toddler your cell phone to play with to keep him (HIM) quiet while in a public place? The years of posturing and skirmishes between the Israelis and the Arabs just keeps the Arabs out of our hair.
Israel can and should stand on its own. If they are about to be overrun by a screaming horde of qat chewing goat herders, then I'm fine with parking an aircraft carrier offshore and stopping it. But the annual aid we give to Israel is grotesque - as is our annual aid to many other countries in that region.... some of them MUCH worse in terms of our bilateral relationships than Israel is.

Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel does more to advance the two state solution than any amount of bribery er ... aid to Egypt and Saudi... and it cost us nothing except an eventual construction project that will cost about as much as one year of our annual aid package. That's money well spent in a region where we have been setting it on fire since WWII

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Personally, I can't wait for the "Trump is a Zionist Nazi" protest signs.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Pwns wrote:Personally, I can't wait for the "Trump is a Zionist Nazi" protest signs.
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Re: The Jerusalem Saga

Post by Jjoey52 »

Now we have a good reason to get out of the UN, and let those parasites move elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Jjoey52 wrote:Now we have a good reason to get out of the UN, and let those parasites move elsewhere.

You know the UN is the only reason modern day Israel even exists, right? Of course you didn't. :coffee:
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:Now we have a good reason to get out of the UN, and let those parasites move elsewhere.

You know the UN is the only reason modern day Israel even exists, right? Of course you didn't. :coffee:
Yes, I knew they passed the Mandate, only good thing that worthless body ever did. Israel would have formed without it though.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Just one problem with the whole "defund the UN" proposition: if we do that, there would be no justification for our continued presence as a permanent member of the Security Council. At that point, we lose EVERYTHING, because we'd likely have only Commonwealth countries voting for us. We certainly wouldn't have the Commies supporting us....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I actually agree with recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. I'd also be fine if the Israelites demolished the al-Aqsa Mosque and built their Temple back on the Temple Mount. I do think the Western World worries way too much about the "sensibilities" of Muslims.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I like this move if anything to piss of the palestinian mud people. Agree with Cid about defunding them and a whole bunch of other no-talent bad actors in that region of the world.

The ME can go to hell and most of the world wouldn't skip a beat.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

SuperHornet wrote:Just one problem with the whole "defund the UN" proposition: if we do that, there would be no justification for our continued presence as a permanent member of the Security Council. At that point, we lose EVERYTHING, because we'd likely have only Commonwealth countries voting for us. We certainly wouldn't have the Commies supporting us....
Commies? SuperHorney wants his/her 60s foreign policy back. 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:I actually agree with recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. I'd also be fine if the Israelites demolished the al-Aqsa Mosque and built their Temple back on the Temple Mount. I do think the Western World worries way too much about the "sensibilities" of Muslims.
:nod:

Plus watching the amount of rockets fired at the third temple by the goat herders would be great TV!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Pwns wrote:Never mind what Israel's capital is recognized as
Or that the US Congress passed an act over 22 years ago that the embassy be moved to Jerusalem. :coffee:

FAKE outrage.